June 06, 2020, 04:27:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: In For a Penny...  (Read 756 times)
Dan
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 224
-Receive: 365

Rollin', Rollin', Rollin'

« on: April 16, 2020, 08:27:31 PM »

When I bought my Interceptor I knew full well that it was originally designed as a sports tourer but I only wanted it as a runabout sporty bike.  Mine did not come with the factory luggage and that didn't really phase me as I never planned on any long trips.  As time went along I added a gps/phone mount and started to take longer rides and decided I liked riding it so much I would look into some luggage options.  OEM luggage and hardware was still available for a cool $1,100.  I thought that too spendy so I looked at aftermarket, GIVI and SHAD both had systems that fit the bike.  I did not like either for differing specifics but it boiled down to aesthetics.

I then started my hunt for a used OEM luggage system and one day I saw an Interceptor for sale on the VFRWorld forum.  It had factory luggage so I contacted the seller and asked him if he would sell just the luggage.  After a bit of negotiating we settled on $400.  His was not an 07 so it was not blue that was specific to my bike but white but that's okay as my bike is red, white and blue.  I remember being so excited the day it arrived thinking I had just scored a set of OEM luggage and hardware for a mere $400, plus it had a full set of keys.

Turns out I was missing two critical pieces of rubberized plastic that were footings/spacers for the metal hardware rack and the grab handles of the bike.  I contacted the seller and he told me that I didn't need them and sent a photo of his bike with the luggage attached.  Yea, technically he's right but it looks like junk without, leaving large holes in the plastic that the pieces cover.  He offered to take the luggage back and give me a refund.  I decided to keep the luggage figuring I could find these pieces.

I spent over a year looking for these pieces but no luck.  I had just about given up when talking with my friend he suggested 3D printing the pieces.  I posted another request on the forum to see if anyone would allow me to scan their pieces for printing.  Turns out a member used to work at a 3D print house in Canada and through his connections they were going to help me out.  After a bit of a discussion about pricing we agreed to $300 USD.  So now I'm at $700, still a savings of $400 but no longer the killer deal.

I don't know if they will be able to duplicate the pieces shape or material but they seem quite confident and they are working on the project as we speak.  In my excitement I started looking at a few other options, new seat, exhaust and a nice custom made addition to the cluster to add a voltage meter, USB and gear position indicator that looks almost like stock.  I'm also strongly considering heated grips and to swap out my clip-ons for bars.  I know adding bits and pieces to bikes is par for the course for a lot of riders but before my Versys I never really did much other than adding a gps to any of my bikes.

Practicing Normite.
redeye
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 144
-Receive: 198

« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2020, 12:44:09 AM »

Your post reminds me of our visit together in Chambersburg, Pennsylvania years ago as you returned to Massachusetts. Having the missing pieces made via 3D printing sounds fascinating. Best wishes on successful completion of the luggage mounting project.

Your call, of course, but an Interceptor's OEM exhaust (if that's what yours has) is a very attractive setup.

Years of bad habits often masquerade as 'experience'
Dan
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2020, 06:57:42 PM »

Having the missing pieces made via 3D printing sounds fascinating.

Technically speaking it should be able to work.  The real trick will be getting the right material, if it doesn't stand up to the weight of the luggage, vibrations and weather then even if the piece is shaped correctly it will not last.

Your call, of course, but an Interceptor's OEM exhaust (if that's what yours has) is a very attractive setup.

Mine is OEM and you're right, it looks good and even sounds pretty decent if a little bit too muted.  The brand I'm looking at looks good to me as well and just gives a bit of a growl.  Before the VFR I wasn't that into the sound of my bike but the V4 makes such a great sounding howl I've been thinking about the swap.
Dan
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2020, 11:44:19 PM »

And it's done... I hope.  As long as nothing falls off (crosses fingers).  I can't believe the engineers/designers who created the motorcycle and the OEM luggage rack were ever in the same room or even talked to one another.  Hopefully my journey is at an end with the luggage but probably not as I will show you a few issues.  As I had purchased a used kit I found out I was missing some pieces as this thread details.  I received my printed parts yesterday and added the luggage today.

Here is one of the printed pieces.  It's an elastomer plastic so it has some give and flex but not the same as the more rubbery OEM pieces.

It seats pretty well and once you turn the bolts it flexes into place.  Time will tell if weather and stress will damage the printed piece.

Unfortunately I had other missing pieces, the bolts that hold the grab rails were not included and the stock bolts are too short.  I had to go to the hardware store and pick these up, since they are hex-head bolts and not allen head the black caps do not snap into place.  If I can find some proper allen bolts I will replace.

Here she is in all her glory.  Thankfully Honda used the same white paint on the 2006 (the used bags I bought) as the 2007.  I may add some vinyl pinstripes or stripes later.  Some of the other missing pieces in the used kit were some spacers that sit between the license plate holder and rear luggage bracket.  Because of this I could not get the license plate mount and light to lock down properly.  It's fastened tightly but because of some play it has some wiggle to it.

A very big thanks to TriumphTraitor, my luggage would still be sitting in my house in boxes had he not come through with his contacts.  I have the 3D file if anyone ever needs these pieces.  You will have to find your own printer, I used Proto3000 in Ontario.  I should add the crew at Proto3000 were amazingly helpful.  I don't know how many small one-off projects they get but they treated me like a big-time customer.
redeye
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 144
-Receive: 198

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2020, 02:40:39 AM »

Looks great, Dan. Hoping for the best on the printed parts, but a very impressive setup overall!
Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Kymco AK550 & '12 Piaggio X10 (sold). & '08 SYM GTS (sold)

Thank You
-Given: 154
-Receive: 193

Kymco AK550

WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2020, 05:13:54 AM »

Sharp lookin' machine.

__
Don
sonuvabug
Scooter Grad Student

Thank You
-Given: 20
-Receive: 17

Email
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2020, 02:50:59 PM »

Very nice looking ride Dan.  Now for a dash of color  (red & blue) on those side cases to match the lines and angles of the rest of the bike.   

2016 Gray Suzuki Burgman 400 (herz) - 10,000 km.
2005 Titanium Honda Silver Wing (hiz) - 32,000 km.
2009 Wineberry Red Honda Silver Wing (hiz) - 5,000 km. (not yet plated)
Dan
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2020, 03:18:09 PM »

Sharp lookin' machine.

Very nice looking ride Dan.  Now for a dash of color  (red & blue) on those side cases to match the lines and angles of the rest of the bike.   

She's a looker alright.  I was thinking of getting some vinyl to add a splash of color to the bags.  Just have to make sure the vinyl matches the blue and red.
Dan
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2020, 08:10:41 PM »

Cha-ching!  Just added a Sargent seat today.  At least it was used, $268 shipped.
Greg
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 74
-Receive: 268

Don't sweat the small stuff...it's all small stuff

Email
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2020, 09:20:52 AM »

That looks great, Dan. I agree, some stripes to match the pattern on the bike, and the bags will look like they came with the bike.  You mentioned swapping the stock clip on bars for regular bars.  When I had my VFR800 I put on a set of Helibar risers.  They were a pain to put on, but worth it in the end.  Hereís a link to a website for bar risers for the VFR1200.  Might be worth looking at and could be cheaper than putting on regular tubular bars because you likely would have to replace the front brake line and throttle and clutch cables.  Just a thought.

https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=iFi2XsLLLeOt0PEPuYCN8A4&q=handlebar+risers+for+vfr1200&oq=handlebar+risers+for+vfr1200&gs_lcp=CgZwc3ktYWIQAzIGCAAQFhAeMgYIABAWEB46BQgAEIMBOgIIADoECAAQClC-D1iPaGD7amgAcAB4AIABugGIAbcUkgEEMjEuN5gBAKABAaoBB2d3cy13aXo&sclient=psy-ab&ved=0ahUKEwjCr7KDnqbpAhXjFjQIHTlAA-4Q4dUDCAw&uact=5

Greg
Dan
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2020, 10:25:22 PM »

You mentioned swapping the stock clip on bars for regular bars.  When I had my VFR800 I put on a set of Helibar risers.

Thanks for the idea, Greg. My bike already has risers on it and it does make it more comfortable but still a stretch on a long day in the saddle. A handful of people put a tubular bar on the VFR and said mostly positive things. Just a thought of course, donít think I will go through with it.
Greg
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2020, 07:15:03 AM »

You mentioned swapping the stock clip on bars for regular bars.  When I had my VFR800 I put on a set of Helibar risers.

I think I have modified or accessorized every motorcycle I’ve ever had.  The last bike I had that I left the stock seat on was a 1981 Yamaha 920 Midnight Virago that I owned for just a short time.  Seems there is always something to do to a bike to make it more comfortable, more useful, or whatever.

Thanks for the idea, Greg. My bike already has risers on it and it does make it more comfortable but still a stretch on a long day in the saddle. A handful of people put a tubular bar on the VFR and said mostly positive things. Just a thought of course, don’t think I will go through with it.
Dan
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2020, 09:14:48 PM »

Just spent another $50 on liners for the luggage.  These seem nice, they are aftermarket but designed to fit the VFR OEM luggage.

You can see them here if you're curious what they look like:  https://www.amazon.com/Bestem-LGHO-VRF8H-SDL-Saddlebag-Sideliners-VFR800/dp/B001O66F3U/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=honda+vfr800+luggage+liners&qid=1590002045&sr=8-1

Feel bad for the Versys, I'm only using tote bags that Serena has gotten from work conferences for liners in the Kawasaki luggage.
Greg
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2020, 12:25:19 AM »

Just spent another $50 on liners for the luggage.  These seem nice, they are aftermarket but designed to fit the VFR OEM luggage.

You can see them here if you're curious what they look like:  https://www.amazon.com/Bestem-LGHO-VRF8H-SDL-Saddlebag-Sideliners-VFR800/dp/B001O66F3U/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=honda+vfr800+luggage+liners&qid=1590002045&sr=8-1

Feel bad for the Versys, I'm only using tote bags that Serena has gotten from work conferences for liners in the Kawasaki luggage.

At least the Versys has liners.  We never did use saddlebag liners in any of our bikes.
Dan
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2020, 02:28:15 AM »

At least the Versys has liners.  We never did use saddlebag liners in any of our bikes.

The tote bags were a big step up. My first couple of trips I simply used garbage bag liners to carry my stuff.  Thatís when I realized I need something better.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: