November 27, 2020, 03:00:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HONDA CTX700 DTC - Your Opinions & Would you Recommend or Not?  (Read 1031 times)
sonuvabug
Scooter Grad Student

Thank You
-Given: 22
-Receive: 23

Email
« on: March 30, 2020, 03:41:29 PM »

This DCT model, which was not available in Canada, has crossed my radar.  There is one DCT unit available that somebody imported about 6 years ago.  It intrigues me and I know a few members here have or have had them over the years. 

I'd like to hear your impressions and feedback about this bike ... specifically about the DCT transmission which I know Honda is putting into other bikes in their line-up.  The one that's popped up on my radar is a red 2014 with about 11,000 mi. and has the matching fairing and side cases.  They're asking CAD$7,500 (currently USD$5300) which seems high to me. 

Never having owned a chain driven bike before, the one thing that bothers me about this bike is the final chain & sprocket drive set up and how much maintenance it takes.   

Thanks in advance for your input!   

2016 Gray Suzuki Burgman 400 (herz) - 12,000 km.
2009 Wineberry Red Honda Silver Wing (hiz) - 7,500 km.
jdbrot
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Honda Reflex Sport ABS

Thank You
-Given: 29
-Receive: 181

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2020, 04:01:30 PM »

I like mine. However the ride is not as cushy as a Silverwing or a Burgman. As far as the chain goes I installed a Chameleon automatic chain oiler and just give the chain a good wipe occasionally if it looks too grungy. Other than the normal oil and filters the maintenance is low with an 8000 mile interval. The DCT does shift differently than a CVT, just feels different. Mileage has been great, almost 70mpg. Hopefully they have installed the center stand and floorboards. If not both are highly recommended. Center stand for cleaning and maintaining the chain, floorboards for comfort.
sonuvabug
Scooter Grad Student

Thank You

Email
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2020, 04:30:26 PM »

... snipped ... However the ride is not as cushy as a Silverwing or a Burgman. 

Not sure if you mean cushy suspension or cushy seat for your tushy!  With my SWing, I find I slide up towards the front of the seat and do not find the SWing very comfy at all.  I've tried an Airhawk, beads, sheepskin and I just picked up a Corbin seat so that'll be next.  The Burgy 400 was much better seating wise.  Suspension wise ... well .. they do have smaller wheels.

... snipped ... As far as the chain goes I installed a Chameleon automatic chain oiler and just give the chain a good wipe occasionally if it looks too grungy.

OK ... I've yet to look into automatic oilers but that sounds like a possible solution.

... snipped ... The DCT does shift differently than a CVT, just feels different.  Mileage has been great, almost 70mpg.

Great mileage ... certainly better than I currently get with my SWing.  In the reviews it talks about the DCT's tranny hunting for the right gears in hilly/twisty roads.  They also say it shifts very quickly and shifts to higher gears quickly. Have you noticed this and has it caused you any problems?   

... snipped ... Hopefully they have installed the center stand and floorboards. If not both are highly recommended. Center stand for cleaning and maintaining the chain, floorboards for comfort.

Thanks for pointing this out.  I've read similar comments from others on-line and having had center stands with all of our previous scooters and floor boards with the Big Ruckus, I totally get it.

I appreciate all your feedback.
jdbrot
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2020, 04:48:29 PM »

The rear suspension is not well damped but works, the seat will either fit or won't. The DCT in drive tends to shift early hence the good mileage. In sport mode the shifting is more like how you would shift a manual. You can downshift in any automatic setting with the touch of a button so I don't get the complaints. It will automatically upshift afterwards. There is also a manual mode but I only used it once or twice, never found the need. Overall I like it, better handling and power than the scooter and easier to handle in winds. However I still love the scooter which has better weather protection for the legs and is just fun.   
EZMark
RCR
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 2
-Receive: 73

Email
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2020, 08:14:45 AM »

Dawn had a CTX700DCT for a while. Here's the good and bad IMO.
Good
- Comfortable seating position.
- Good fuel mileage. Over 60mpg.
- Smooth engine with low RPM's on the highway.
- Very good handling for a cruiser.
- The DCT works great.
- Lots of leg room which you would like as a tall guy.
Bad
- Small fuel tank. Only 3.3 gallons.
- Bad rear suspension. The rear would bottom over small bumps with my big ass on it. A new shock would be about $500.
- Not very fast. My 650 V-strom would kill the CTX in any performance category. The redline is only 7000 RPM, pretty low for a 700cc bike, and there's no over-rev. You hit redline and it stops making power. The CTX runs about as good as your SWing.

Overall it's a decent bike if you aren't a performance junkie. More practical than soul stirring.
The chain isn't a big issue. I've found modern chains last about 20,000 miles whether you oil them or not. You have to replace your CVT belt every 16,000 miles also, so that's a common expense.
We sold our CTX to Carolyn and she hasn't been riding it much. Don't know how hard it is to import a used CTX into Canada, but she might want to sell it.
sonuvabug
Scooter Grad Student

Thank You

Email
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2020, 04:09:31 PM »

Thanks Mark.  Always appreciate and respect your seasoned insights on bikes etc.  Having just bought a new-to-me '09 SWing last year with only 3,000 mi., I feel a bit silly even talking about a CTX700.  No real reason other than they intrigue me and I like the looks of them.  A well put together package in my opinion. 
Murf
Wind In My Hair, Bugs In My Teeth
Scooter Senior

Bikes Owned: Honda 50, 90, 350, 750, VTX1300, SW600, BSA, Norton, BMW K100, Yamaha 175 Enduro and Vstar 1300, Harley 1945 Knuckle Head, VW trike I built.

Thank You
-Given: 3
-Receive: 18

Silver Surfer Rides Again

bemurphy22@msn.com
Email
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2020, 11:25:08 PM »

I have two riding friends that have the CTX 700.  The bike are very reliable and work as advertised.  This is a price point bike so not a lot of creature comforts.  They like it around town but not long distance riding.  Rode about 6 hours to Barber Motorcycle Museum from the coast.  Both of them would like more power and lacked a little bit on the interstate.

Never seen a day I cannot overcome with a smile.
sonuvabug
Scooter Grad Student

Thank You

Email
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2020, 04:30:19 PM »

I have two riding friends that have the CTX 700.  The bike are very reliable and work as advertised.  This is a price point bike so not a lot of creature comforts.  They like it around town but not long distance riding.  Rode about 6 hours to Barber Motorcycle Museum from the coast.  Both of them would like more power and lacked a little bit on the interstate.

Thanks for your input.  I like mid-sized machines (like the old Suzuki GS 550 I rode years ago).  I could have any MC I wanted.  However, I'm just not interested in big, heavy or super fast asphalt rippers.  Cruising along at 70+'ish mph is just fine as I only ride super slabs occasionally ... just when I have to.  A top end around 100 mph is plenty enough for any of my emergency situations.

I'm more about reliability, functionality and decent handling and performance.  I've not read much bad news about the CTX700 other than it could use a little more power (sounds like the 2 foot-itis disease boaters have), the chain is a maintenance PITA to some and there is an engine bolt that needs to be checked to ensure it is tight or else big troubles.  My riding is 70% city, 24% secondary highway, 5% superslab and 1% "other" depending on how lost we get. lol
Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Kymco AK550 & '12 Piaggio X10 (sold). & '08 SYM GTS (sold)

Thank You
-Given: 161
-Receive: 214

Kymco AK550

WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2020, 06:02:31 AM »

and 1% "other" depending on how lost we get

In my family it's genetic, handed down through the generations.

__
Don
jdbrot
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2020, 02:10:50 PM »

It is not a sport bike and chain maintenance is low with the sealed o-ring chains. It is a fun but mild cruiser/tourer. Suggest you ride before considering, probably bringing mine in September if you want to try one.
sonuvabug
Scooter Grad Student

Thank You

Email
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2020, 03:28:42 PM »

and 1% "other" depending on how lost we get

In my family it's genetic, handed down through the generations.

Sometimes the absolute best way to ride and sightsee.  We've found some really great roads and scenery this way.

It is not a sport bike and chain maintenance is low with the sealed o-ring chains. It is a fun but mild cruiser/tourer. Suggest you ride before considering, probably bringing mine in September if you want to try one. 

Appreciate the kind offer Joan.  Hopefully I can get on one before then but you never know ...
Carol
RCR
Scooter Grad Student

Bikes Owned: 07 Silverwing, 15 Tmax

Thank You
-Given: 0
-Receive: 12

Email
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2020, 05:43:13 AM »

I know I'm late to the party, just realized I haven't been on the site for months.
I've got the naked CTX  - I'll agree with everything that has been said so far.  It is fun.  Its got a nice growl to the engine. I like the looks.  Has enough power for a day ride.  I've done a couple overnight trips on it.  There is no faring, so you get a lot of wind.  I also get some engine vibration.  Not a touring bike, but fun for day rides.

I think the seat is comfortable.  Its got good position, good height for me, good width for me, doesn't kill my back after an hour.
Good hand position, easy on my wrists.

It likes to shift up as fast as possible. When riding in the city, I have to remember to put into sport mode or it will lug along in top gear at 35 mph. The finger paddles are very easy to up shift or down shift.  You can switch between sport mode and regular drive mode easily and on the fly.  The button placement took some getting used to.  The manual shifts are on the left hand where the horn is supposed to be.  About the third time I hit the downshift instead of the horn I put my thinking cap on on how to solve it.  I put a small sliver of velcro on each button - the soft side for the horn and the rough side for the shift.  Now when I go to hit the horn and feel rough velcro, I know I'm in the wrong place.

The button to shift between sport and drive is on the throttle hand.  My hands are a touch too small to reach the button and hold the throttle position, but easy to adjust to.

It likes a curve, has good lean.

Overall, its a fun ride. I really like it.

Chain maintenance is easy.  This is my first chain bike.  Spray chain lube every 500-700 miles or every couple of gas tanks, then clean the chain with spray cleaner once a month or so and re lube.  There is a chain guard held on by two bolts.  Take this off, makes the lube and clean much easier.
It is a messy and dirty, and really easy.  I kind of like the ritual of doing it.  It is a bonding experience between the bike and me.

I haven't had to adjust the chain yet.  Normal maintenance, oil change, etc...

Yes, would recommend.
sonuvabug
Scooter Grad Student

Thank You

Email
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2020, 02:08:31 PM »

Thanks Carol.  I appreciate your insights and comments.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: