June 05, 2020, 11:10:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Importing Scoots from Europe?  (Read 459 times)
Murf
Wind In My Hair, Bugs In My Teeth
Scooter Senior

Bikes Owned: Honda 50, 90, 350, 750, VTX1300, SW600, BSA, Norton, BMW K100, Yamaha 175 Enduro and Vstar 1300, Harley 1945 Knuckle Head, VW trike I built.

Thank You
-Given: 3
-Receive: 18

Silver Surfer Rides Again

bemurphy22@msn.com
Email
« on: March 26, 2020, 10:36:06 PM »

The Europe market has so many great scooters not sold in the USA.  How can I import a new Honda Scoot.  Any ideas?

Never seen a day I cannot overcome with a smile.
Buffalo
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Red 2007 Burgman 650 Executive, Blue 2006 Burgman 400S

Thank You
-Given: 13
-Receive: 174

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2020, 11:00:08 PM »

Not an easy task. 

Craig
07 Burgman 650, 148,213 miles
06 Burgman 400, 51,138 miles
Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Kymco AK550 & '12 Piaggio X10 (sold). & '08 SYM GTS (sold)

Thank You
-Given: 154
-Receive: 193

Kymco AK550

WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2020, 06:44:21 AM »

I'd bet that the lighting would be your biggest challenge. The US want's wider separation of them than the rest of the world.

__
Don
Brubaker
Scooter Freshman

Thank You
-Given: 0
-Receive: 0

Email
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2020, 11:57:36 AM »

I occasionally poke around on the European Honda websites and there isn't really that much of a scooter selection anywhere in Europe. The later SW-T version of the Silverwing has now been discontinued, they never brought that model the the UK anyway, just the original FJS model, that's the FSC over the Pond.

The largest capacity models in the Honda range are  the X-ADV crossover, and the Integra which has been now been around for years. They're both fine if you like chain drive and having road dirt flung everywhere.

The rest of the range are a mixture small capacity and step through models. The only decent scooter in the Honda lineup is the one I have the 2018 onwards Forza 300. ( Or the smaller 125 Forza.

Import a European spec Honda and the first thing you'll notice is, if it has an analog speedo the primary outer ring will be in Kmh. If you choose a model with a digital speedo it'll probably convert to mph. Buy a UK spec Forza like mine and the analog speedo ring is in MPH, and on the Forza there's all sorts of instrument displays and modes you can scroll through on the move.

Anyway it's 2020 now, do Honda Powersports still not have the Forza 300 in their scooter range yet?

2018 Honda NSS 300A Forza in Crescent Blue, Givi SR1166 rear rack and Givi E52 top box. Givi D1166ST higher screen, Givi DF1166 handlebar wind deflectors, and a few Pirschjäger mods.
minimac
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 52
-Receive: 120

Email
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2020, 03:19:41 PM »

Biggest obstacle is getting EPA & NHSB(DOT) certifications-very expensive. Or, you could go to Mexico, buy it, have it registered there, and ride it home!
 If there was a big enough demand, a sharp importer MIGHT be able to come up with a way....remember the 'grey' market cars of the 80s?

Walk fast...look worried.
"If you can make a girl laugh, you can make her do anything"       Marilyn Monroe
Goldwing Aspencade GL1500
 ̶B̶u̶r̶g̶m̶a̶n̶ ̶E̶x̶e̶c̶u̶t̶i̶v̶e̶ ̶650
 ̶M̶a̶j̶e̶s̶t̶y̶ ̶4̶0̶0̶ ̶X̶2̶
Honda Silverwing
Morphous 250
EZMark
RCR
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 2
-Receive: 72

Email
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2020, 04:05:53 PM »

The bigger problem is where will you get parts?
And can you find a mechanic to work on it?
And will your warranty be honored in the US?
Yellow Jacket
Scooter Junior Professor

Bikes Owned: 106, 12 scooters, BV250 & '90 Elite 250, sold, Kymco GTi 300 & Kymco Yager currently

Thank You
-Given: 23
-Receive: 29

Email
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2020, 04:13:00 PM »

Very true what Minimac said. I imported a Canadian bike in the early '80's. Had to jump through a lot of hoops, non of which were easy. Ended up titling the bike but didn't put a tag of it for about a year. I bought the bike to race, then wanted to sell it the next year). So it was never street ridden while I was racing it, although it was a street bike. When time came to sell it, I took title to DMV and was able to get it registered. Probably not entirely legit. If I had done it the way DOT said, I would have to have it EPA certify for probably 10 times the cost of the bike. Also would need all stickers that DOT requires and not to mention comply with all US reg's as to lighting etc. Probably many more hoops to jump through now.  

Kymco GTi 300 and  Yager + 11 others in the past.
Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Kymco AK550

WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2020, 04:35:06 PM »

My Kymco dealer also sells Honda and, like Brubaker said, the choices are pretty bleak. X-Adv, Integra and the Forza then things drop way off. The X-Adv and Integra have the horses but aren't what I'd call "scooters" in the classical sense. The Forza 300 is road worthy but just barely IMO. I followed one last year at 80MpH for a while but I could tell he was flat out and not enjoying it.

I don't know why they've taken this route for their machinery it seems they've opened a big hole in the market.
Brubaker
Scooter Freshman

Thank You
-Given: 0
-Receive: 0

Email
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2020, 08:37:05 PM »

The Forza 300 is road worthy but just barely IMO. I followed one last year at 80MpH for a while but I could tell he was flat out and not enjoying it.

Have you not taken into consideration that following another rider at 80 mph will have done nothing except piss him off. Who really needs a strange rider following them, filling their mirrors and breaking their concentration. No wonder as you say he wasn't enjoying it.

Neither could you tell he was flat out because your riding experience of this new Forza, and correct me off I'm wrong here, is zero.

I'm one of two in our half dozen strong informal touring group that has a 2018 Forza 300, in fact we bought ours around about the same time, and both previously had Silverwings too.

He toured the Champagne area of France last year, and I toured Germany. Comparing notes, we both had no trouble with hours of high speed riding on toll motorways or autobahns. In fact the contrast in performance between the Forza and the Silverwing is indiscernible.

Wind and weather protection is very good too, especially with the taller Givi screen and hand guards fitted. The screen is electric height adjustable, it has full LED lights, and traction control is standard too. Being more compact and lighter than the dated Silverwing, the only thing I miss a bit is the feet forward riding position.
Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Kymco AK550

WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2020, 06:52:16 AM »

Have you not taken into consideration that following another rider at 80 mph will have done nothing except piss him off. Who really needs a strange rider following them, filling their mirrors and breaking their concentration. No wonder as you say he wasn't enjoying it.

First of all, I was in my car. Then I didn't say I was tail-gating him just that I was following and from a very safe distance.  The reason I'm pretty sure he was all out is that we were in the right lane being passed by just about everything else on the road.

The Forza 300 is, actually 279cc producing @25Hp.
My Piaggio X10 350 was actually 330cc and pumped out @33Hp
My SYM 250i was 249cc and had about 21Hp
so, I may not have ridden the Forza but I've been inside that envelope.

Down here in Greece if you can't sustain a safe 80+ MpH on the national roadways then you're holding up traffic. If you can't quickly accelerate from whatever speed you're traveling at then you're not riding safe IMO. You're more apt to avoid an accident with acceleration and/or avoidance than braking.

Murf
Wind In My Hair, Bugs In My Teeth
Scooter Senior

Bikes Owned: Honda 50, 90, 350, 750, VTX1300, SW600, BSA, Norton, BMW K100, Yamaha 175 Enduro and Vstar 1300, Harley 1945 Knuckle Head, VW trike I built.

Thank You
-Given: 3
-Receive: 18

Silver Surfer Rides Again

bemurphy22@msn.com
Email
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2020, 05:37:52 PM »

Thanks everyone!  I agree there is a fairly big hole in the market.  Alot of single cylinder 300 type bikes which I'm sure work ok.  Just love the power of the silver wing and interstate capability its just getting a little old.  I guess it's a Suzuki or BMW.  With me getting older I might have to Can Am It.  The Ryker 900 looks interesting.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: