March 30, 2020, 06:25:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Last ride for a while  (Read 269 times)
Buffalo
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Red 2007 Burgman 650 Executive, Blue 2006 Burgman 400S

Thank You
-Given: 13
-Receive: 171

« on: March 26, 2020, 01:16:24 AM »

Took advantage of the first sunshine we have seen in a couple of weeks to get one last ride in before shelter in place rules go into place at midnight tonight.  It rained everyday for 11 days straight, a new record for us.  I was beginning to think I had moved to Seattle  .  It quit yesterday but it was cloudy and gloomy all day.  Today the sun came out and it was warm and very pleasant. 

I took the 400 out this morning and the 650 this afternoon.  Put about 75 miles on the 400 and 115 on the 650.  My county announced yesterday that we will go on shelter in place restrictions at midnight tonight.  Your not suppose to go on pleasure rides.  Just travel to get supplies, food, medicine or to the doctor.  If you work in an essential function then you can travel to it.  Any other travel is against the rules and you could be subject to fines if you are caught doing it.  So I guess this will be my last rides for a while. 

Saw a lot of other people out riding too.  I was riding the FM country roads and it's unusual to see very many bikes on them except on weekends.  I guess a lot of other people were out doing just what I was doing. 

Craig
07 Burgman 650, 147,288 miles
06 Burgman 400, 50,826 miles
Virginian
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: '19 Husqvarna Svartpilen, '14 Vespa 946, '14 HD Wide Glide

Thank You
-Given: 264
-Receive: 85

Email
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2020, 02:57:01 AM »

I'm glad to hear you got out for a nice ride. Stay safe.

Show up on time, do your best and don't grumble about the outcome.
Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Kymco AK550 & '12 Piaggio X10 (sold). & '08 SYM GTS (sold)

Thank You
-Given: 153
-Receive: 187

Kymco AK550

WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2020, 06:51:40 AM »

The trick is to do your shopping as far a way from the house as possible. ;D

__
Don
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: The Fastest Ever Bet & Win 310cc ~ Tsunami 650cc ~ 09 TMax ~ 09 DN-01 ~ 17 Sypder RT-Limited

Thank You
-Given: 363
-Receive: 853

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2020, 02:45:53 PM »

Glad you got out before the order came through!!

It's a scooterful day in the neighborhood!
Buffalo
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2020, 06:45:17 PM »

Robin didn't.  Dallas put their order in place while the rainy period was still on going.  She and I actually had a ride planned for yesterday that we had to cancel because she couldn't ride out to our meetup point. 
Murf
Wind In My Hair, Bugs In My Teeth
Scooter Senior

Bikes Owned: Honda 50, 90, 350, 750, VTX1300, SW600, BSA, Norton, BMW K100, Yamaha 175 Enduro and Vstar 1300, Harley 1945 Knuckle Head, VW trike I built.

Thank You
-Given: 3
-Receive: 18

Silver Surfer Rides Again

bemurphy22@msn.com
Email
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2020, 10:26:09 PM »

I feel your riding pain.  My vacation next week to ride the Helen GA area got cancelled.  Luck? for us the Military has not shut down in FL so were still working.  On the upside I am riding to work each day.

Never seen a day I cannot overcome with a smile.
minimac
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 52
-Receive: 119

Email
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2020, 03:32:40 PM »

With all of us old farts in central Florida mostly staying home, I've been able to enjoy a lot deserted roads and very little traffic on my daily rides.

Walk fast...look worried.
"If you can make a girl laugh, you can make her do anything"       Marilyn Monroe
Goldwing Aspencade GL1500
 ̶B̶u̶r̶g̶m̶a̶n̶ ̶E̶x̶e̶c̶u̶t̶i̶v̶e̶ ̶6̶5̶0̶
Majesty 400 x2
Honda Silverwing
Morphous 250
EZMark
RCR
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 2
-Receive: 69

Email
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2020, 04:02:42 PM »

We're on lockdown in Illinois, but I saw a ton of bikes out yesterday.
My first instinct is to say "asshole" but who are they hurting?
You can't be much more socially distanced than alone on a motorcycle.
I'm much more annoyed at the packed parking lots at Walmart every single day.
Buffalo
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2020, 07:23:55 PM »

When you look at it from the social distancing standpoint it does look like your not going to hurt anything.  But there is another way to look at it and that way would apply to pleasure riding in a car as well as on a bike.  If you get in an accident you could end up taking up resources that are vitally needed to combat the virus.  Not only medical supplies but the already overworked responders that have to come to the accident site and/or take care of you in the ER. 

A person on another site I follow brought up this thought to.  A friend was in a motorcycle crash in Oregon.  He suffered some head injuries when his helmet was split and has bleeding on the brain.  He is in critical condition in the hospital but his wife cannot even go visit him due to the visitation restrictions put in place because of the virus.  So if you do get injured you could end up laying in a hospital bed with no love ones around and only overworked hospital personnel to keep a watch on you.   

EZMark
RCR
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2020, 02:28:53 AM »

I haven't wrecked a street bike since 1988, so I think I'll be OK.
Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Kymco AK550

WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2020, 07:13:58 AM »

This is a map of Illinois (in case y'all didn't recognize it) The blue counties have, at least, 1 case of Covid19 but none of them are reporting more than 15 with the exception of Chicago.

Now, my home town TV station from Adams County (farthest west on the map) said they have 10 day old tests that they're awaiting answers on and this MAY be the reason the numbers are so low. BUT if I'm supposed to swallow that line of talk then I have to believe that it takes 12 years of study to be able to rely on a test run by a high school drop out before I can recognize & treat a disease that has presented.

If you look at a map of the US you'll note that most rural areas are pretty clean and the worse cases are all in the big, over crowded cities and, even with that the death rate is still about 1.5% of infected cases and the majority of those had "underlying causes".

I guess Cathy is on the front lines of this mess and may chew my suppositions all to hell and I'll accept that but the numbers just aren't matching the hype for me.

BTW, Missouri looks about the same as Illinois with St. Louis & KC being the outliers.

http://www.dph.illinois.gov/topics-services/diseases-and-conditions/diseases-a-z-list/coronavirus

* 2020-03-28_065828.jpg (163.46 KB, 466x683 - viewed 0 times.)
Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Kymco AK550

WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2020, 07:17:16 AM »

I found Missouri's map. My home town is just across the river from Mo. hence my curiosity.

https://health.mo.gov/living/healthcondiseases/communicable/novel-coronavirus/results.php

* 2020-03-28_071507.jpg (163.3 KB, 691x610 - viewed 0 times.)
Buffalo
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2020, 02:53:48 PM »

I haven't wrecked a street bike since 1988, so I think I'll be OK.
No one thinks they will be in a crash until they are.  I started riding in 1980 and never had a wreck until 2006.
minimac
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 52
-Receive: 119

Email
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2020, 03:20:06 PM »

You could slip in the shower and crack open your head. Are you going to give that up?
CathyN
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: 2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT, 2009 Honda Silverwing

Thank You
-Given: 33
-Receive: 138

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2020, 06:44:33 PM »

This is real.  Illinois has over 3000 cases with 34 deaths as of today.    We are seeing more and more patients at our tent sites set up outside our hospital to keep the virus from spreading.  There was a family on the news who all are sick. The Mom was tested and was positive.  The Dad and the kids were not because of the shortage of test kits.  We need to practice social distancing and make smart decisions  of where we go and how often. 

Our hospital has cancelled all elective surgeries,  asked our Doctor’s to cancel wellness visits, no visitors or venders in the hospital.  We have discharged as many patients as possible to keep our beds free for the influx of Covid-19 patients coming in.

My hours have been cut for now because I work with the Out Patient side more.  But that can change as more employees get exposed and we will need to fill in where we can.

Chicago is in the process of making McCormick Place our largest convention center into a 1000 bed hospital to take care of the patients expected over the next days and weeks.  The news is reporting Chicago to be the next biggest city to be hit. 

I  worry for my daughter who is a CFD Paramedic and her husband who is a CPD officer.  They are truly on the front lines.  The numbers are much higher just not enough tests to show it. 

Stay safe everyone.

It's just not a vacation it's a fricking adventure.
klaviator
Scooter Junior Professor

Bikes Owned: Yamaha Majesty, Kymco Like 150i, Kawasaki Versys 650,

Thank You
-Given: 87
-Receive: 73

Email
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2020, 07:35:55 PM »

I have cut my riding way down.  I stay local and very cautiously.  I have never been admitted to a hospital for a riding accident, or any reason but this would be a real bad time to end up in a hospital.

My favorite riding area is the mountains in N. GA., NC and TN.  Some counties in the NC, such as Graham County near Deal's Gap have shut down their roads to non residents.  US129 is completely barricaded a couple of miles from Deal's Gap.  They don't want people for hot spots like NYC coming in and spreading the disease. 

I am pretty much writing off the spring riding season.  I have a scooter get together planned for August in Maggie Valley.  I hope that this crisis is mostly behind us by then.

For anyone interested this link will take you to the August Maggie valley ride:  https://advrider.com/f/threads/2020-maggie-valley-beat-the-heat-scooter-ride.1434287/

I'm still hoping to make the September get together in Arkansas and seeing ya'll there!

I ride, therefore I am
EZMark
RCR
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2020, 10:55:01 PM »

The only week I could get off work all summer is August 9-15.
If your date changes, let me know.
klaviator
Scooter Junior Professor

Bikes Owned: Yamaha Majesty, Kymco Like 150i, Kawasaki Versys 650,

Thank You
-Given: 87
-Receive: 73

Email
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2020, 02:20:00 PM »

The only week I could get off work all summer is August 9-15.
If your date changes, let me know.

Will do.
Buffalo
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

« Reply #18 on: Today at 04:58:18 AM »

You could slip in the shower and crack open your head. Are you going to give that up?

Difference is showering is a necessity and riding is a pleasure.  Yes you could get hurt doing either but if you are only doing one of them then your chances of getting hurt go down.  And you pretty much have to give up the pleasure part not the necessity part. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: