July 16, 2020, 06:20:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Be Smart with COVID19 -- Coronavirus  (Read 1188 times)
CathyN
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: 2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT, 2009 Honda Silverwing

Thank You
-Given: 33
-Receive: 150

Saint Louis, MO 2020

« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2020, 06:19:50 PM »

My brother sent me this today. 

Subject: Fwd: layman terms
This post puts the Coronavirus in layman terms and helped me understand better. Maybe it will help you too!

This is from an immunologist at Johns Hopkins University:

Feeling confused as to why Coronavirus is a bigger deal than Seasonal flu? Here it is in a nutshell. I hope this helps. Feel free to share this to others who donít understand...

It has to do with RNA sequencing.... I.e. genetics.

Seasonal flu is an ďall human virusĒ. The DNA/RNA chains that make up the virus are recognized by the human immune system. This means that your body has some immunity to it before it comes around each year... you get immunity two ways...through exposure to a virus, or by getting a flu shot.

Novel viruses, come from animals.... the WHO tracks novel viruses in animals, (sometimes for years watching for mutations). Usually these viruses only transfer from animal to animal (pigs in the case of H1N1) (birds in the case of the Spanish flu). But once, one of these animal viruses mutates, and starts to transfer from animals to humans... then itís a problem, Why? Because we have no natural or acquired immunity.. the RNA sequencing of the genes inside the virus isnít human, and the human immune system doesnít recognize it so, we canít fight it off.

Now.... sometimes, the mutation only allows transfer from animal to human, for years itís only transmission is from an infected animal to a human before it finally mutates so that it can now transfer human to human... once that happens..we have a new contagion phase. And depending on the fashion of this new mutation, thats what decides how contagious, or how deadly itís gonna be..

H1N1 was deadly....but it did not mutate in a way that was as deadly as the Spanish flu. Itís RNA was slower to mutate and it attacked its host differently, too.

Fast forward.

Now, here comes this Coronavirus... it existed in animals only, for nobody knows how long...but one day, at an animal market, in Wuhan China, in December 2019, it mutated and made the jump from animal to people. At first, only animals could give it to a  person... But here is the scary part.... in just TWO WEEKS it mutated again and gained the ability to jump from human to human. Scientists call this quick ability, ďslipperyĒ

This Coronavirus, not being in any form a ďhumanĒ virus (whereas we would all have some natural or acquired immunity). Took off like a rocket. And this was because, Humans have no known immunity...doctors have no known medicines for it.

And it just so happens that this particular mutated animal virus, changed itself in such a way the way that it causes great damage to human lungs..

Thatís why Coronavirus is different from seasonal flu, or H1N1 or any other type of influenza.... this one is slippery! And itís a lung eater...And, itís already mutated AGAIN, so that we now have two strains to deal with, strain s, and strain L....which makes it twice as hard to develop a vaccine.

We really have no tools in our shed, with this. History has shown that fast and immediate closings of public places has helped in the past pandemics. Philadelphia and Baltimore were reluctant to close events in 1918 and they were the hardest hit in the US during the Spanish Flu.

Factoid: Henry VIII stayed in his room and allowed no one near him, till the Black Plague passed...(honestly...I understand him so much better now). Just like us, he had no tools in his shed, except social isolation...

And let me end by saying....right now itís hitting older folks harder... but this genome is so slippery...if it mutates again (and it will). Who is to say, what it will do next.

Be smart folks... acting like youíre unafraid is so not cool right now.  Stay safe everyone.

#flattenthecurve. Stay home folks... and share this to those that just are not catching on. 🤓

You can copy and paste to share.

Sent from my iPhone

--

It's just not a vacation it's a fricking adventure.
Greg
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 77
-Receive: 268

Don't sweat the small stuff...it's all small stuff

Email
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2020, 06:30:16 PM »

We are doing fine up here.  Just bored out of our minds.  Alaska had its first Covid-19 death the other day in Anchorage.  It was an older Alaska native lady who also had other serious medical issues.  In response, the governor has mandated a ďstay inĒ policy, and everyone is asked to stay at home unless itís absolutely necessary to go out.  We will need to pick up some groceries in the next day or two, so that will be our next ďbigĒ adventure.  Weíre considering ordering them online and just picking them up outside the grocery store.  Iím not sure I trust someone else to choose our produce and meat for us, though.  Tomorrow I have a cardiologist appointment in Anchorage to meet with a new doctor.  The doctor whose care I was under moved back to California to care for her mother who is ailing, so theyíve assigned a new cardiologist.

Meanwhile, life goes on, as I hope it is for all of you.  This hunkering down is boring, but itís the safe way to flatten the curve, as they say.  Hang in there, folks.  It wonít last forever.  God bless you all, and care for you all.

Greg
Buffalo
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Red 2007 Burgman 650 Executive, Blue 2006 Burgman 400S

Thank You
-Given: 13
-Receive: 174

« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2020, 07:10:26 PM »

I heard a good synopsis on why this virus is different from others like SARS or Swine Flu that make the spread harder to control.  1) It has a long incubation period in which at least part of you are contagious.  2) It lingers on surfaces longer than other virus 3) It attacks the respiratory system especially the lungs so the worst cases end up having to go on respirators in ICU.  This quickly overwhelms the medical system and once that happens mortality rates go way up.   

Add into that we have no built up immunity to it yet and no proven treatments for it or vaccines against it.  All that means it will pretty much run wild this year.  Cures and vaccines take time to develop and even more time to test.  So it will be at best months before they are available.  By the time round two of this comes around we will be in better shape.  Some natural immunity will have developed.  Cures that can keep many cases from going critical will be around.  And vaccines likely will have been developed.  If enough people have taken these then the spread can more easily be contained. 

Craig
07 Burgman 650, 148,213 miles
06 Burgman 400, 51,138 miles
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: The Fastest Ever Bet & Win 310cc ~ Tsunami 650cc ~ 09 TMax ~ 09 DN-01 ~ 17 Sypder RT-Limited

Thank You
-Given: 365
-Receive: 873

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2020, 08:53:31 PM »

We are still staying in, Pete's been in for 14 days.  I've been out twice to grocery store.  Sitting on the deck a lot and doing some odd tasks around the house.  I'm grateful during times like this that Pete and I like each other a lot :-)

I try to avoid the daily briefing etc... they only serve to give me anxiety and strangely enough I've never been an anxious person. 
I guess thinking of death and dying there is only so much I can take.

I hope everyone is doing as well as you can.

Pete is outside quarantine gaming.  What an age to live in!

* 90913636_10219802744592575_7082029917210148864_n.jpg (95.48 KB, 720x960 - viewed 7 times.)

It's a scooterful day in the neighborhood!
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: The Fastest Ever Bet & Win 310cc ~ Tsunami 650cc ~ 09 TMax ~ 09 DN-01 ~ 17 Sypder RT-Limited

Thank You

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2020, 02:30:27 PM »

Pete and I had the hard talk this morning about end of life and medical/legal situations regarding this virus.   Make sure your partner/family knows your wishes.  Make sure you are up to date on medical directives.  

Weíve had this discussion prior with Pete more in mind.   Now it turned more to me and things I wanted him to understand about my wishes.  

If you have single children over the age of 18 make sure they have a directive because as a parent you may not have a say.

Patients are quickly intubated even from 6 liters of oxygen (not a ton to be honest) because some of our less invasive measures are considered not safe due to aerosolizing the virus.

Your loved ones need to know if you want to be on life support: breathing tube? Dialysis? What if you can't get off the ventilator? Identify someone to make decisions if you are unable. Visitors are not allowed to patients with Covid even as they die.

Please have these conversations now with your loved ones!!! It makes everything so much easier when called from the ICU.

This site below has all states not just Missouri.

https://livingwillforms.org/
sirkitrider-2
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: 2011 Burgman 650,2012 Silverwing, Burgman 650, Burgman 400x2, Vulcan 750x4, Goldwing 1200'sx2, Honda Nighthawkx2, Honda Helix

Thank You
-Given: 5
-Receive: 48

Back in Babies' Arms

Email
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2020, 05:54:43 PM »

Pete and I had the hard talk this morning about end of life and medical/legal situations regarding this virus.   Make sure your partner/family knows your wishes.  Make sure you are up to date on medical directives. 

Weíve had this discussion prior with Pete more in mind.   Now it turned more to me and things I wanted him to understand about my wishes. 

If you have single children over the age of 18 make sure they have a directive because as a parent you may not have a say.

Patients are quickly intubated even from 6 liters of oxygen (not a ton to be honest) because some of our less invasive measures are considered not safe due to aerosolizing the virus.

Your loved ones need to know if you want to be on life support: breathing tube? Dialysis? What if you can't get off the ventilator? Identify someone to make decisions if you are unable. Visitors are not allowed to patients with Covid even as they die.

Please have these conversations now with your loved ones!!! It makes everything so much easier when called from the ICU.

A good word Maggie. Thanks for sharing.   

I've been having this conversation with my congregations for months now Ö since a very healthy 79 year old lady in our church had a massive stroke.  She was the care-giver for her 81 year old husband and they were in a terrible situation.   And their children apparently had no clue what to do?   The lady remarkably recovered, somewhat, and they are both in assisted living.

Then, here in middle TN, we had the tornado's AND now the Covid-19 stuff.  Also after working 5 years for a Hospice Ö you and your loved should have these conversations while you CAN.

Thanks for reminding us - Sirkitrider

John 3:16
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2020, 12:06:15 AM »

If youíre having issues finding paper goods, check out Quill.com. 

You may have to go through a few options to find some TP but there is some there. 

They have free shipping and some coupon deals if you spend $75 or more on their website.
Yellow Jacket
Scooter Junior Professor

Bikes Owned: 106, 12 scooters, BV250 & '90 Elite 250, sold, Kymco GTi 300 & Kymco Yager currently

Thank You
-Given: 23
-Receive: 29

Email
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2020, 04:35:27 AM »

A friend sent me this link that some might like to look at here. Has all the numbers worldwide and seems to be updated regularly. You can click on any state and then even go to any county.
              https://www.bing.com/covid

Also found this vid of how the Chinese are enforcing very tough isolation rules. They are taking this Corona serious. It's interesting to me that China is the only country so far where the curve has pretty well leveled off.  

No luck posting vid, sorry.

* Corona virus-China.mp4 (5847.96 KB - downloaded 8 times.)

Kymco GTi 300 and  Yager + 11 others in the past.
Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Kymco AK550 & '12 Piaggio X10 (sold). & '08 SYM GTS (sold)

Thank You
-Given: 157
-Receive: 196

Kymco AK550

WWW Email
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2020, 06:32:05 AM »

Thanks, I've been looking for a map like that.
The video... suspect.

Ok.. I found the video. It's a training drill but still.
https://youtu.be/QW_7h8_CZp0

__
Don
Yellow Jacket
Scooter Junior Professor

Bikes Owned: 106, 12 scooters, BV250 & '90 Elite 250, sold, Kymco GTi 300 & Kymco Yager currently

Thank You

Email
« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2020, 03:40:13 PM »

COOL and thank you Expat. I pretty much figured it was as you say, a training video. I had a link to it but for some reason I was unable to attach it.
Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Kymco AK550

WWW Email
« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2020, 03:48:24 PM »

You're welcome...

In Pennsylvania it's only a $200 fine for getting out of the house but over here it will cost you €150 if you haven't got the pass and are on an approved outing.

Saturday Ma Nature laid down some fresh show and the cops were raking in the €€€ up by the ski resort at €150 a stop.
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2020, 04:17:47 PM »

Vic, thanks for the map!  I find it so interesting.

I was looking at Italy... Comparing Milan to Rome is a shocker. It goes directly against population density. Man oh man something got the virus into that region and quick :-( Then you see Hong Kong with 9 million people and only 695 active cases. Three weeks ago only 155 cases! Then they let foreign (students etc) travelers back in. They were to self quarantine and most did not. :-(

I was looking around and the little island of Mauritius has 220 cases and 7 deaths. I was shocked till I saw the islands population of 1.295 million people. 1623 people per mi2 That's more than India!
Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Kymco AK550

WWW Email
« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2020, 04:31:28 PM »

Vic, thanks for the map!  I find it so interesting.

I was looking at Italy... Comparing Milan to Rome is a shocker. It goes directly against population density. Man oh man something got the virus into that region and quick :-( Then you see Hong Kong with 9 million people and only 695 active cases. Three weeks ago only 155 cases! Then they let foreign (students etc) travelers back in. They were to self quarantine and most did not. :-(

I was looking around and the little island of Mauritius has 220 cases and 7 deaths. I was shocked till I saw the islands population of 1.295 million people. 1623 people per mi2 That's more than India!

Milan is/was a special case. There's a whole lot of fashion houses there that have been bought up by the Chinese and use imported Chinese workers. Then Milan didn't want to cause waves so didn't keep the Chinese from coming over until way too late. It spread from there to most of the country.
Clampett
Uncle Jed
Administrator
Scooter Junior Professor

Bikes Owned: 29 - Mini bikes to Gold Wings.

Thank You
-Given: 101
-Receive: 85

« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2020, 12:29:35 AM »

Thanks, I've been looking for a map like that.
The video... suspect.

Ok.. I found the video. It's a training drill but still.
https://youtu.be/QW_7h8_CZp0
Wonder why their vests and the van had English on them?
I've traveled eastern China and seen English on stores and other retail as advertising gimmick to make people think they were buying American products.
But the only time I've seen English on something was maybe at the Chinese version of TSA checkpoints for foreigners.

--
Larry  
My Maps
Yellow Jacket
Scooter Junior Professor

Thank You

Email
« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2020, 05:01:38 PM »

I wondered about the English as well. I found it interesting that India has so few per capita cases.
As for the link to that map, it came from a friend in Australia, I didn't find it on my own.
Yellow Jacket
Scooter Junior Professor

Thank You

Email
« Reply #45 on: April 25, 2020, 05:25:13 AM »

This is interesting to me. China had their first fatal Covid case on Jan. 28. They instituted a very tight lock down. By Feb. 19th, just 22 days later their curve had pretty well flattened with only 14K new cases since then. This is of course China media reporting. In the U S, the first fatal was Mar. 1. Now, 52 days later there is still no sign of the curve flattening with 19K new cases in just the last 24 hours. The U S has about 5% of the worlds population but now has 1/3 of all Covid cases with no let up in sight. Do we really need to be easing restrictions?  
Clampett
Uncle Jed
Administrator
Scooter Junior Professor

Bikes Owned: 29 - Mini bikes to Gold Wings.

Thank You
-Given: 101
-Receive: 85

« Reply #46 on: April 25, 2020, 06:14:42 AM »

Did you see how the USA is reporting CV deaths? If you died from a heart attach while infected, then it is reported as a CV death.
This was from April 8th per the CDC.
Dr. Birx: Unlike Some Countries, "If Someone Dies With COVID-19 We Are Counting That As A COVID-19 Death"

From the report I saw, it seemed like they meant they are going back to count previous unreported cases the same way which will increase the count.
It said confirmed as well as probable.
Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Kymco AK550

WWW Email
« Reply #47 on: April 25, 2020, 06:42:07 AM »

In answer to "Yellow Jacket's" post.

Yes, just because NYC is having trouble because of the density of their population, or whatever, is no reason everywhere else should be in full on panic mode. The state of Illinois is a good example of what I'm talking about. The NE corner (Chicago and surrounding area) is a hot spot but the rest of the state is a totally different story.

Then, there's been a different story emerging lately promoting the concept of "herd immunity". Sweden didn't lock down and has had 213/1M. Far fewer than other EU countries that did deploy full lockdowns. They're also saying that once they're through with this round of bugs they'll not get hit this hard if/when the bug comes round again.

Science says that this bug can live for hours when loosed indoors but dies within minutes when exposed to sunlight! Humans soak up vitamin D from sunshine and fresh air never hurt anyone. The highest death rates have come from people in the confined spaces of nursing homes. So, why aren't we kept in our homes?

Then we get to some medical facts... No hospital was overwhelmed. No one that needed a ventilator went without, not even close. There are some doctors that believe that ventilators are counter indicated. There is a cocktail of cheap drugs that have proven 100% effective in fighting the virus for some doctors with no need for ventilators. (Big phamra, of course, doesn't want you to this.)

And, finally, what I've observed myself here in Greece where we've been locked down for @6 weeks now. 5 weeks ago our weekly farmer's market was held on one of our widest streets and only about half the vendors were allowed to come. Then, 4 weeks ago it shifted to the narrowest street. Three weeks ago the city started blaring out a message every few seconds that we should maintain a 6ft separation which was a physical impossibility! Last week, finally, they staggered the vendors' stalls that did allow for a bit of distancing. But, among all this masks and gloves were more miss than hit and even when masks were evident most of the time they weren't being deployed correctly. These weekly events are very widely utilized by the population and are offered in every community in the city.

So, here we are in an area where a large percentage of the population are well over 65 and if we all haven't been exposed to the virus by now then we never will be. But, there are no bodies in the streets, no death carts passing by on their daily route calling for us to "bring out your dead". Greece has had 130 deaths. That's 12/1M and many of the islands are free and clear. The lockdown to "protect us" is a joke in light of what we've seen when the people do get out of the house. A neighbor works at one of the larger hospitals here in town and she says there has not been any problems at all.

I don't know why the West has decided that this lockdown was the way to go but the opinion of every epidemiologist, that isn't on some government's payroll, that I've found is not in support of this method as a general practice. Had they called for a lockdown for a week or two to get a handle on what was going on, fine, but it has become punitive and counter productive, IMO. Here in Greece I'm a guest and Greece doesn't have the bill of rights so I've got to play by their rules but in America I do believe that there is a grave injustice being perpetrated upon The People and I don't know, exactly, why.

Here's a pretty good snapshot of the counties: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

This is a more detailed map by country/state/county etc: https://www.bing.com/covid

Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Kymco AK550

WWW Email
« Reply #48 on: April 25, 2020, 06:45:39 AM »

Did you see how the USA is reporting CV deaths? If you died from a heart attach while infected, then it is reported as a CV death.
Dr. Birx: Unlike Some Countries, "If Someone Dies With COVID-19 We Are Counting That As A COVID-19 Death"

From the report I saw, it seemed like they meant they are going back to count previous unreported cases the same way which will increase the count.

It's been determined, in Chicago at least, that the most common way to get infected is for the virus to enter through the bullet hole.

Any way, yes, De Blasio, last week, just decided to boost his numbers by 57%. I've heard that he's getting Eagle poop government assistance for each death.
sirkitrider-2
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: 2011 Burgman 650,2012 Silverwing, Burgman 650, Burgman 400x2, Vulcan 750x4, Goldwing 1200'sx2, Honda Nighthawkx2, Honda Helix

Thank You
-Given: 5
-Receive: 48

Back in Babies' Arms

Email
« Reply #49 on: April 25, 2020, 09:07:25 PM »

Yeah, and in NYC they are counting "probable" cases in their stats.

The "experts" with their models/numbers/projections have served up a big smelly batch of bovine scatology!

Meanwhile during the captivity, my wife's Honey Do List is gonna kill me before the "Rona-virus"

from exile .... Sirkitrider

jdbrot
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Honda Reflex Sport ABS

Thank You
-Given: 28
-Receive: 166

« Reply #50 on: April 25, 2020, 10:52:01 PM »

Well in KY about 5 percent of folks with positive tests are dying including a friend's son.
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #51 on: April 25, 2020, 11:57:09 PM »

Well in KY about 5 percent of folks with positive tests are dying including a friend's son.

My condolences, Joan.  :-(
Yellow Jacket
Scooter Junior Professor

Thank You

Email
« Reply #52 on: April 30, 2020, 11:59:47 PM »

The face of stupid in Mich. This was inside the lobby of the capitol. It's such a shame that the very people we pay to protect us have to be put into a situation as dangerous as this so unnecessarily.  

Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #53 on: May 01, 2020, 12:42:25 AM »

:-(
Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Kymco AK550

WWW Email
« Reply #54 on: May 01, 2020, 06:31:47 AM »

A 19 page study entitled "Patterns of Covid-19 Mortality and Vitamin D" landed this week. The takeaway for us mortals breaks down to this.

Just under half (49.7%) of cases had normal vitamin D status, and only 4% of them died. Just over a quarter (27%) had insufficient vitamin D status, and most of them (88%) died. Just under a quarter (23%) had deficient vitamin D status, and almost all of them (99%) died.

Here's the full PDF https://www.mdpi.com/2072-6643/12/4/988/htm

Then, earlier this week the CDC released this goodie:

* 95264804_222916518999963_930431079003717632_n.jpg (97.77 KB, 780x960 - viewed 6 times.)
klaviator
Scooter Junior Professor

Bikes Owned: Yamaha Majesty, Kymco Like 150i, Kawasaki Versys 650,

Thank You
-Given: 107
-Receive: 80

Email
« Reply #55 on: May 01, 2020, 03:34:59 PM »

Just under half (49.7%) of cases had normal vitamin D status, and only 4% of them died. Just over a quarter (27%) had insufficient vitamin D status, and most of them (88%) died. Just under a quarter (23%) had deficient vitamin D status, and almost all of them (99%) died.

My take away from this statistic is that we need to spend more time outside in the sun since that is a good source of vitamin D

I ride, therefore I am
Yellow Jacket
Scooter Junior Professor

Thank You

Email
« Reply #56 on: May 01, 2020, 04:10:46 PM »

I try to get out in the sun every day for just that reason. Have to double up today since we had no sun yesterday.
Now for todays funny:

I was standing at the bar in the airport, when this small Chinese guy comes in, stands next to me, and starts drinking a beer.

I asked him, "Do you know any of those martial arts things, like Kung-Fu, Karate, or Ju-Jitsu?"

He says, "No, I don't. And furthermore, why the hell would you ask me that? Is it because I'm Chinese?"

"No", I said, It's because you're drinking my beer".

Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #57 on: May 01, 2020, 04:19:55 PM »

We have been in stay at home mode for over 50 days now.  Our saving grace has been good weather.  We've been able to deck sit, do our herb garden and flowers.  Evening walks are very nice temperatures right now.  I like to get out at sunset and walk.
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #58 on: May 01, 2020, 04:20:25 PM »

LOL, Vic!
Yellow Jacket
Scooter Junior Professor

Thank You

Email
« Reply #59 on: May 01, 2020, 08:22:46 PM »

From my Aussie friends again. They're good at making jokes.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: