March 30, 2020, 06:35:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Be Smart with COVID19 -- Coronavirus  (Read 465 times)
sonuvabug
Scooter Senior

Thank You
-Given: 15
-Receive: 12

Email
« on: March 17, 2020, 07:45:54 PM »

Hey All, for those who know me, you know that I am not an alarmist, I'm not a fear monger and I have a healthy skepticism about things ... especially when they are new to me and I don't know much about them.  I've always tried to balance common sense and intuition with science and data and I can state unequivocally this COVID19 virus and its negative side effects are very real.  It can be deadly and it's in all of our best interests to combat its spread as best we can.  The reality is many of us are either seniors or heading into that life phase and we are more vulnerable than those who are younger, healthier and ailment free.

It only makes sense to listen to what the global and national medical and public health experts have learned about this virus from those countries who have been in the battle for some time already and to be smart and follow their advice.  Although inconvenient, it only makes sense that when possible:

• Avoid crowded, public places;
  • Practice social distancing keeping a minimum of 3 feet distance from others --- 6 feet is better;
  • When absolutely necessary, greet others with a simple nod of the head or if you have to, an elbow bump or toe tap ... do not shake hands, hug or kiss etc.;
  • Wash your hands often ... especially when touching items & people outside of your native environment;
  • Use hand sanitizer liberally and often;
  • Avoid touching your face (this one is really, really hard to do).  If you have a facial itch, use a tissue when scratching;
  • Sneeze and cough into your elbow ... away from others;
  • Do not share food or drinks with others;
  • Avoid visiting with vulnerable people i.e. the elderly and infirmed and take precautions when you do;
  • Clean and disinfect the environments you live and work in ... and if you can;
  • Practice self-quarantine/isolation.

I've received first hand reports from people who are stuck in some of the Mediterranean countries.  They all advise me to do whatever I can to "flatten the curve" and help all of us get through this nasty thing.  Every generation has their defining events and moments, this may be ours. 

It would be so sad to read about any of our maxi-scooter community being adversely affected by this virus ... especially if there are simple albeit inconvenient precautions we can take to lower our risk towards contracting or spreading it.  Be smart -- stay healthy.  All-Ways!

I want to see you and ride with y'all in September! 

2016 Gray Suzuki Burgman 400 (herz) - 10,000 km.
2005 Titanium Honda Silver Wing (hiz) - 32,000 km.
2009 Wineberry Red Honda Silver Wing (hiz) - 5,000 km. (not yet plated)
jdbrot
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Honda Reflex Sport ABS

Thank You
-Given: 21
-Receive: 158

« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2020, 08:32:32 PM »

Amen. While my job closed today we had been scrubbing all surfaces and objects like hand held scanners, keyboard and mouse, scissors and staplers, doorknobs, pens etc. Every transaction and contact with the public we used hand sanitizer before and after each interaction. Had to buy more Eucerin cream since it dries my skin but better safe than sorry. We could also wear gloves. Hopefully we will all stay well and I am looking forward to seeing everyone in September.

By the way sanitizing spray is easy to make, 1 quart of water and 2 tablespoons bleach.
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: The Fastest Ever Bet & Win 310cc ~ Tsunami 650cc ~ 09 TMax ~ 09 DN-01 ~ 17 Sypder RT-Limited

Thank You
-Given: 363
-Receive: 853

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2020, 01:17:04 AM »

This fall I went to an auction where I won 2 cases of Lysol and Clorox wipes for $2.10, 2 gallons of Ultra Bleach for .50, 8 bottles of Clorox Germicidal Spray for $3.50 and 4 bags of 110ct Clorox Hospital Germicidal wipes for $6.  People looked at me like I was crazy. 

Admittedly I thought I was crazy as well, until Pete started his nuclear infusions for bone cancer in his hip.  The Doctor could not impress upon us enough to keep Pete's contact with the outside world to very limited crowds.  This has not been an issue because Pete has been very weak.  In a sense of irony he's finally getting some strength back.   

We did go to Bixby on Sunday for Bridget's Irish Supper.  We knew there would be hardly anyone there due to the weather, we were right.   We said if we get there and it's crowded I will call and ask them to pack up two dinners and bring to the truck.  They were so sweet, they clorox wiped the table and bench for Pete. 

Now he will not leave our home unless it's related to his infusions.  (he has to leave for 4 times over the next two months: blood work & last two infusions) 

Since Thanksgiving, EVERYDAY I clean every door handle, door (inside and out),  kitchen counter, bathroom, phones, computers, etc. with one of the above cleaners.  I feel my permanent perfume of late has been Ode De Clorox.

We are fortunate that we are both retired. I plan to go out only for groceries when needed.  At this point, I don't think we will need any groceries for at least 2 weeks.   It's a good thing we like each other a lot :-)

Restaurants and bars are now closed by order of our county.  Carry out/curbside pick up only.   I'd like to go out into the community to help elderly neighbors but I just can't.

I hope everyone stays safe and we get pass this quickly.   Pete and I look forward to see everyone in September.

It's a scooterful day in the neighborhood!
Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Kymco AK550 & '12 Piaggio X10 (sold). & '08 SYM GTS (sold)

Thank You
-Given: 153
-Receive: 187

Kymco AK550

WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2020, 04:22:21 PM »

Zoomed over to my usual Wednesday coffee shop (take out only) and had a coffee while standing across the street in the sun. (Spring has sprung, again.)

None of the other denizens of the Wednesday AM were there but the cleaning lady is here today & it was either an endless string of "honey-dos" or get the @#$@ out of Dodge. I chose to exit Dodge.

The roads were mostly empty. Schools and most shops are closed. People are running around in surgical masks and latex gloves. I've not been paying any attention to the local news so I've no idea how many millions and millions of Athenians have been infected with CoV19 and died but the death carts, ringing their bells and calling out for the dead haven't materialized as of yet so I'm not too worried.

I'll keep y'all posted as when to panic.

__
Don
Greg
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 71
-Receive: 262

Don't sweat the small stuff...it's all small stuff

Email
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2020, 06:24:13 PM »

To date, there are just 6 confirmed cases of Covid-19 in Alaska, but that doesnít mean there arenít more.  Iíd like to say that thatís it, but itís not possible to know unless someone is diagnosed.

We are keeping inside as much as possible.  Both PeggySuz and I are in the ďhigh riskĒ category, as she tends to develop severe bronchitis and Iím being treated for prostate cancer, and we are both over 70.  Restaurants, bars, pubs, movie theaters, fitness gyms, etc., are all closed down.  Drive thru and to-go service are available from restaurants, but no dine in.  For the time being, our Thursday morning old guys breakfast is cancelled.  And our trip to Missoula to retrieve Ryanís car may be on hold for awhile.  Canada has closed its borders to all non-essential traffic from the U.S., so itís unlikely weíd be able to get in.  I donít think theyíd view bringing the car to Alaska as essential, although getting back home may be allowed.

Stores are being mobbed and paper and cleaning products are hard to find.  The hoarding is awful, but the grocery stores have stated that they will continue having goods shipped in.  Letís hope it stays that way.

And so life indoors is boring, but I have a couple projects Iíve been putting off for a long time that I can get to.  We wash our hands a lot.

You all take care.  I sincerely hope none of us contract this nasty bug.

Greg
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: The Fastest Ever Bet & Win 310cc ~ Tsunami 650cc ~ 09 TMax ~ 09 DN-01 ~ 17 Sypder RT-Limited

Thank You

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2020, 06:37:16 PM »

I'm glad Ryan is there to help you guys!!
sevenwheels
Scooter Senior

Thank You
-Given: 35
-Receive: 11

Email
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2020, 09:28:00 PM »

yeah, but don't you all represent like half the population of Alaska?

2003 C240 Wagon,2006 Morphous,2011 Spyder RTS
2017 F150

IBA 56167
Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Kymco AK550

WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2020, 07:47:06 AM »

yeah, but don't you all represent like half the population of Alaska?

I think you'd have to include the dog to get that high a percentage.
Brubaker
Scooter Freshman

Thank You
-Given: 0
-Receive: 0

Email
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2020, 11:28:43 AM »

If you want to be smart with COVID-19, you could start by cancelling or postponing all this years planned Maxi-Scoots meets until this Coronavirus Pandemic is under control.

2018 Honda NSS 300A Forza in Crescent Blue, Givi SR1166 rear rack and Givi E52 top box. Givi D1166ST higher screen, Givi DF1166 handlebar wind deflectors, and a few Pirschjšger mods.
sailingskier
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: '05 Honda Silver Wing, ABS

Thank You
-Given: 136
-Receive: 76

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2020, 01:50:20 PM »

Maggie, Good to hear Pete is gaining some strength back.

This morning the news says China says they have no new cases of the virus. I hope this news can be trusted.

About 11 cases in Nova Scotia and we are still in the up-swing.   Pretty well everything is shut down and the same precautions being taken as Greg mentioned. Today the barbershops and similar services are to be closed.  As in the rest of the world, the ski hills closed earlier this week.   

I hope to find a hardware store open, get some paint etc, and catch up on some home renovations that kept getting put off.

Mike
All be safe and careful out there.  It sure is a different world these days.
minimac
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 52
-Receive: 119

Email
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2020, 02:41:39 PM »

If you want to be smart with COVID-19, you could start by cancelling or postponing all this years planned Maxi-Scoots meets until this Coronavirus Pandemic is under control.

It's a too early to throw in the towel. There's almost six more months-alot can change in that time. No need to run around like Chicken Little. Being prepared is one thing, inciting panic is another.

Walk fast...look worried.
"If you can make a girl laugh, you can make her do anything"       Marilyn Monroe
Goldwing Aspencade GL1500
 ̶B̶u̶r̶g̶m̶a̶n̶ ̶E̶x̶e̶c̶u̶t̶i̶v̶e̶ ̶6̶5̶0̶
Majesty 400 x2
Honda Silverwing
Morphous 250
Brubaker
Scooter Freshman

Thank You
-Given: 0
-Receive: 0

Email
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2020, 03:15:36 PM »

It's a too early to throw in the towel. There's almost six more months-alot can change in that time. No need to run around like Chicken Little......

Or alternatively stick your head in the sand like an ostrich and hope it's all going to go away.

Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2020, 03:47:10 PM »

It's a too early to throw in the towel. There's almost six more months-alot can change in that time. No need to run around like Chicken Little. Being prepared is one thing, inciting panic is another.

As evidenced by responses in this thread I don't think anyone is sticking their head in the sand. 

We will ALL make a decision in a few months. We will be better informed at that time to make a group decision at that time.

By the grace of God and flattening out of the curve in the entire world will bring this matter under control sooner than later.   

jdbrot
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2020, 03:55:06 PM »

I am doing some spring cleaning, trimming and painting. Also enjoying the spring flowers that have started blooming. Riding with less traffic too. Reminds me of the day after 9/11 where people were polite and I went for a long peaceful bicycle ride. Hope this can be greatly slowed down or stopped but relying on folks who are contagious to self quarantine is probably unrealistic. Just saw interviews with the college spring breakers on the beach and they are taking zero precautions and will more than likely be a big source of spreading the big V.
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2020, 04:59:49 PM »

The interview with beach goers was pissing me off.  I made Pete change turn the channel.

I just wish we would get some sun... hopefully after todays rain.

Since Pete and I have been close to home, I previously had cleaned out a few closets.  I even had donated a bunch of kitchen stuff (not sure why I needed 5 9x9 Pyrex pans) to a local Buy Nothing Group.  I think we are going to get rid of some clothes this week that we just do not need.  Ugh just too much!

Still waiting for our tulip tree to bloom, we have a bud here and there.

Speaking of blooming!

Happy Spring Equinox to All!

* c5a41573b1380c33cc8899abeb3f7126.jpg (58.34 KB, 564x846 - viewed 5 times.)
sailingskier
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2020, 07:01:29 PM »

Happy spring from me as well.  Wouldn't you know it ..... it is the earliest spring in 124 years and most are too focused on the virus to even care  if spring is early or not.  I wonder where Norton is hiding?
CathyN
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: 2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT, 2009 Honda Silverwing

Thank You
-Given: 33
-Receive: 138

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2020, 08:09:59 PM »

Rain here today. 30’s on Saturday.  Pretty much just going to the hospital to work and straight home afterwards.  Today work is now monitoring everyone who comes through the door temperature.  Happy Spring!

It's just not a vacation it's a fricking adventure.
Greg
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2020, 08:51:37 PM »

More and more cases of the virus are showing up, but that was to be expected, given the face that we now have more testing going on.  There shouldnít be any panicking going on, but people just donít stop to think of the consequences of such extreme behavior.  Simply taking the proper precautions should be enough.  It may not wholesale stop the virus, but it will greatly reduce the chances of contracting Covid-19.  In the meantime, they are working feverishly to create a treatment for it, and, hopefully, a vaccination to prevent it.

Keeping a positive attitude is of great importance, realizing that we are all potential victims of this thing, but knowing that if we do the right things, we have a good chance of remaining healthy.  I say, buy what you need, but donít hoard.  I believe in stocking up for a period of time, but whatís been going on is ridiculous.  Itís just mass hysteria and panic.  I think the media, as well as our government, to a certain extent, is to blame. 

The spring breakers ticked me off, too.  Theyíre young and stupid, but thatís no excuse for their irresponsible behavior.  Itís as if they donít care.  I suppose itís that affliction of the feckless youth, that they are invincible and bad things only happen to other people.  Unfortunately, we, and they, are all ďthose other people.Ē

For right now, it is probably a good idea to cancel, or at least postpone group rides, rally's, campouts, etc. until it seems safe to resume those activities.  I expect that riding down the road one is pretty safe from the virus, but once you gather together, especially if itís in the vicinity of people you donít know, the risk goes up.  Just play it safe and be careful when you do go out or go for a ride.  And pack a picnic lunch, since most restaurants are closed anyway.

Oh, and while Alaska may not be the most populous state, there are  a few more of us.  I think there are 9 confirmed cases up here, scattered around the state.

So, hang in there gang, and be happy that spring is upon us.  Have a great day.  And Iím so glad Pete is doing better.
sonuvabug
Scooter Senior

Thank You

Email
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2020, 09:04:40 PM »

As evidenced by responses in this thread I don't think anyone is sticking their head in the sand.  

We will ALL make a decision in a few months. We will be better informed at that time to make a group decision at that time.

By the grace of God and flattening out of the curve in the entire world will bring this matter under control sooner than later.  

Yup ... lots of time to cancel or reschedule get-togethers.  Much can change in 6 months ... especially if we all do our part to wrestle this thing to the ground.  If COVID19 remains a widespread issue in August,  I'm sure all of us will be making decisions accordingly.  Personally, I plan for the worst, take positive action in the moment and then expect the best moving forward.  Happy Spring All!   

sailingskier
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2020, 02:38:18 PM »

Here is something (below) which I found on a ski chat forum last night and thought it was worth sharing.  Please pray for the fellow in this item.  This virus can hit anyone. (Even the beach people of Florida.)

Be careful out there,

Mike

One of my best friends has a brother in law who is in MGH right now with Covid-19.  Right now it doesn't look good...he was put on a heart-lung machine that has had some success in Japan.  Very likely he'll be the first casualty in MA.

What's important is that he is 48 years old, he is super healthy and a hard skiing charger like us (he doesn't ski at SR, but he lives a lifestyle like most of us in the winter.). 3 young kids.  And they have NO IDEA where he got it.  He was fine 2 weeks ago...skiing and skinning, and now it's more likely than not that he's going to die.  My buddy and his wife are on day 9 of self-quarentine...no symptoms thank god. 

So, don't be stupid.  I've been out skinning a few times this week, and we've kept our distance from others.  Until this happened, I was skeptical and a little annoyed, and no one likes how the markets are acting.  But this is real, it's going to get worse, so be smart.

klaviator
Scooter Junior Professor

Bikes Owned: Yamaha Majesty, Kymco Like 150i, Kawasaki Versys 650,

Thank You
-Given: 87
-Receive: 73

Email
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2020, 04:08:23 PM »

One thing to keep in mind is that as our hospitals become overwhelmed, it will be a real bad time to crash and need to go to the hospital.  I won't completely stop riding but I will cut way back for the time being.  I have been mostly staying at home except for grocery shopping and walking the dog in the neighborhood.

I ride, therefore I am
CathyN
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2020, 02:40:00 AM »

Illinois begins a shelter in place order tomorrow at 5 pm.  And goes to April 7th.  As of now. 

Everyone please be safe and make smart decisions for yourself and your loved ones.
jdbrot
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2020, 03:46:18 AM »

You be careful too, both at Cathy and Diane work in hospitals so extra prayers for you both. Hopefully this will slow down soon. Fingers crossed.
Virginian
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: '19 Husqvarna Svartpilen, '14 Vespa 946, '14 HD Wide Glide

Thank You
-Given: 264
-Receive: 85

Email
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2020, 04:41:55 AM »

You be careful too, both at Cathy and Diane work in hospitals so extra prayers for you both. Hopefully this will slow down soon. Fingers crossed.

This! ^^^^^

Show up on time, do your best and don't grumble about the outcome.
Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Kymco AK550

WWW Email
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2020, 06:58:02 AM »

This! ^^^^^

Me too ^^^^^^

sonuvabug
Scooter Senior

Thank You

Email
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2020, 05:22:24 PM »

Our various Canadian governments (federal, provincial and local) are taking action albeit slower than some people think they should be.  USA / Canada borders are now closed for personal, non-essential crossings (shopping, personal visits, vacation etc.).  However,  trucks and goods are still flowing back and forth; stores are putting limits on quantities that can be bought and many employers are closing their physical locations down and sending employees home to either work or self-isolate.  People are just starting to understand just how serious this COVID19 pandemic will be if not contained and defeated.

Certainly a lot of thanks and gratitude to the front-line medical, social and essential workers (yup ... that includes the grocery clerks etc.) who are keeping us protected, supported and supplied.  As one of my friends wrote, our grandparents went to war.  We're being asked to sit on the couch ... we can do this.

Here's a little levity in these difficult times ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYTzX9JCbDY

Be smart -- stay healthy.  All-Ways!
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2020, 05:42:27 PM »

100%
Greg
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2020, 07:56:44 PM »

This is a tough time for all of us, here, and around the world.  What I am perceiving is that initially people were a bit disgruntled over the idea of quarantine, but it looks like as this thing progresses, we are all coming to an understanding of just how serious this is.  I think of this poor fellow that Mike mentioned, in his 40ís and likely to die, and itís clear that Covid-19 is no respecter of age.  I pray we will all do our best to remain as safe as possible and observe social distancing.  Itís hard to do that.  I had to go to the grocery store yesterday and as much as I tried to maintain a safe distance from others, it was impossible to do that all the time.  Cathy and Diane, I pray for you, for your protection as you work in the hospitals.

Take care, friends, be safe, and if you have to, hole up in your homes for as long as necessary.  May God extend His mercy on us all.
CathyN
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2020, 09:23:52 PM »

Thanks for all your prayers and good wishes.  Prayers for you as well.  Stay safe.

Cathy
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2020, 08:28:27 PM »

Iíve ventured out alone to the grocery store for the first time in eight days. You can pretty much tell the panic buying is over except for toilet paper and some cleaning supplies.  Meats, dairy and breads all fully stocked.  No lines at all.  

I was overly careful, I carried my own Clorox Hospital Germicidal wipes and wiped the shopping cart.   Wiped all items coming into the cart.  I wore gloves the entire time.   I took my own stylus to use on POS machine.   When I got home I wiped all the groceries down again including myself and my shoes especially on bottom with wipes and then took a shower.

I wouldnít let Pete help put away anything.  Jasper was wondering why I was wiping down all his cans.  

An inconvenience for sure but better safe than sorry.   Have no where to go till a cancer blood draw appointment for Pete on 4/1.

Hope everyone is ok!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: