June 01, 2020, 07:12:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mid Winter Splurge  (Read 568 times)
Dan
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 224
-Receive: 365

Rollin', Rollin', Rollin'

« on: February 14, 2020, 07:59:19 PM »

I had seriously considered getting a third bike last Fall but nothing came together in my budget.  So with it being February and me wanting something I decided to open the wallet and get a Sargent Seat for the Versys.  I've never sat on one and all reviews of Versys owners say it's definitely better but not amazingly better.  I actually have no problem with the stock seat for a few hours but on very long days or tours it's a sore point.  They cost $439 but they are having a sale right now so I got it for $370 plus free shipping.  Still a bit pricey but I figure I can sell it separately when I move on from the Versys and recoup some of that money.

Practicing Normite.
Spike
Motofickle Rider
Scooter Freshman

Bikes Owned: Way too many to count

Thank You
-Given: 3
-Receive: 1

Email
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2020, 04:35:52 AM »

This hobby is not designed to be a sound financial investment, it's intended to bring you pleasure.  And you can't be happy if your seat ain't happy... period.  and you are right about the recoup on the sale end.  Happy Riding!

Mike
'09 Majesty, '12 R1200RT, '17 DL650
IBA#6154
SilverBullet
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Pearl

Thank You
-Given: 396
-Receive: 199

Email
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2020, 06:29:30 PM »

Quite a buy considering a custom seat will be at least double the price. Hope you like it!

02 Gl 1800 GoldWing
89 Pacific Coast 800 
2012 Burgman 650 Burgman Trike
Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Kymco AK550 & '12 Piaggio X10 (sold). & '08 SYM GTS (sold)

Thank You
-Given: 154
-Receive: 192

Kymco AK550

WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2020, 08:23:05 AM »

The difference between men and boys is the price of their toys.

So far, I think Cathy's in the lead. 

__
Don
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: The Fastest Ever Bet & Win 310cc ~ Tsunami 650cc ~ 09 TMax ~ 09 DN-01 ~ 17 Sypder RT-Limited

Thank You
-Given: 364
-Receive: 867

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2020, 06:54:16 PM »

I hope you like it!

It's a scooterful day in the neighborhood!
Dan
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2020, 06:49:21 PM »

The seat arrived today and I immediately unpacked it.  Along with the seat I received some swag in the form of a Sargent Seat baseball cap.  The seat feels very soft, maybe too much but I haven't put it on my bike yet as it's stored for the Winter in it's little corner and I don't feel like mussing around right at the moment.  According to the documents that came with the seat there is no break-in time, the seat should feel right from the beginning unlike Corbin's products which claim a needed time to conform to you.  The quality of the construction is first rate, the materials are all excellent at first glance, it's especially obvious based upon the rather average construction of the stock seat.  Like I mentioned in my opening post, I never really hated the stock seat as many other Versys owners have, it just got to be a bit of a bother on very long rides, if this corrects that problem then it will be money well spent.  We'll see if it's better in a month when the bike is freed from it's corner of the garage.
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: The Fastest Ever Bet & Win 310cc ~ Tsunami 650cc ~ 09 TMax ~ 09 DN-01 ~ 17 Sypder RT-Limited

Thank You
-Given: 364
-Receive: 867

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2020, 03:28:12 PM »

Hope it works out for you!!
Greg
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 73
-Receive: 267

Don't sweat the small stuff...it's all small stuff

Email
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2020, 06:40:18 PM »

The seat arrived today and I immediately unpacked it.  Along with the seat I received some swag in the form of a Sargent Seat baseball cap.  The seat feels very soft, maybe too much but I haven't put it on my bike yet as it's stored for the Winter in it's little corner and I don't feel like mussing around right at the moment.  According to the documents that came with the seat there is no break-in time, the seat should feel right from the beginning unlike Corbin's products which claim a needed time to conform to you.  The quality of the construction is first rate, the materials are all excellent at first glance, it's especially obvious based upon the rather average construction of the stock seat.  Like I mentioned in my opening post, I never really hated the stock seat as many other Versys owners have, it just got to be a bit of a bother on very long rides, if this corrects that problem then it will be money well spent.  We'll see if it's better in a month when the bike is freed from it's corner of the garage.

Good morning, Dan.  I think youíll like the Sargent seat.  Iíve had a couple of them, and have been pleased.  But like you said, others have stated that while itís better than the stock seat, itís not amazingly better.  I found that it was a decent all day seat, but by the end of the day, I was glad to get off the bike and give my butt a break.  In the end, while theyíre pretty spendy, the one seat that worked for all day comfort, was the Russell Daylong Saddle.  Some folks donít like the because they have a slightly different shape, but you donít see it when youíre sitting on it, and you really appreciate the support.  Expensive, but well worth the money.  I hope the Sargent works out for you.  Oh, and I wouldnít invest nearly $800.00 on a motorcycle seat unless I entended on keeping the bike long term.  I know that the Russell Daylong I put on my Vstrom was hugely comfortable. I did a 700 mile day without discomfort.  I was tired, but not sore.

Greg
Dan
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2020, 04:24:56 PM »

I did a 700 mile day without discomfort.  I was tired, but not sore.

That is amazing.  I think the longest single day ride I've ever done had to be between 500-550 miles and I did that on both the Ninja and Versys.  Not to be sore after a marathon day in the saddle is just beyond my comprehension.  I think out of all the bikes I've owned the only one that didn't give me any discomfort on long rides was the Honda Reflex but to be fair I don't think I ever did more than 200 miles in a day.  My Nighthawk 650 made my thigh go numb, it had a Corbin seat, my Ninja killed my knees, The Versys is the same as the Nighthawk and the Interceptor just hurts my wrists.  Never rode the Nighthawk 750 on a long trip, I suspect it would be pretty comfy.
Greg
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2020, 06:15:43 PM »

I did a 700 mile day without discomfort.  I was tired, but not sore.

That is amazing.  I think the longest single day ride I've ever done had to be between 500-550 miles and I did that on both the Ninja and Versys.  Not to be sore after a marathon day in the saddle is just beyond my comprehension.  I think out of all the bikes I've owned the only one that didn't give me any discomfort on long rides was the Honda Reflex but to be fair I don't think I ever did more than 200 miles in a day.  My Nighthawk 650 made my thigh go numb, it had a Corbin seat, my Ninja killed my knees, The Versys is the same as the Nighthawk and the Interceptor just hurts my wrists.  Never rode the Nighthawk 750 on a long trip, I suspect it would be pretty comfy.

The first 3 or 4 bikes I owned never got ridden far enough to find out how comfortable they were.  I had a Suzuki GT380J Sebring that I rode from Houston to Galveston once, but that’s not very far.  My VFR800 wasn’t comfortable at all, stock, for more than a few miles, but I solved that with a Sargent Seat and a set of Helibar handlebar risers.  It still killed my wrists, but as it turned out, I had an arthritis problem that was solved surgically a few years late.  It was a way fun bike to ride, though.  Man, was it fast.  Topped out at around 150!  I struggled with comfort on the Voyager XII, and was glad to get rid of it for the first GL100.  I found that the stock seat on the 1500 was great.  For about 5000 miles, then it just started to fail.  I got a Hartco seat, and had to play around with different foam densities before it got reasonably comfortable.  When I got the second 1500, after selling the VFR, I got another Hartco seat.  It was comfortable.  I only got the 1800 because it had more power and handled so well.  It felt athletic compared to the 1500.  I think my back injury when I crashed the helicopter in Vietnam may have contributed to my seating sensitivity.  A nerve thing, I suspect.  But again, the most comfy bike was that Vstrom with the Russell Daylong with a backrest.

Greg
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2020, 06:19:01 PM »

Dan, hereís a shot of the Vstrom.

And the R1150RT that we both hated

Dan
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2020, 07:45:58 PM »

I installed (attached, don't want to make it sound hard) my Sargent Seat today and took a short test ride. I purchased the standard model, not the low. I didn't want to compromise the rider geometry for comforts sake even though I wouldn't mind the seat being a bit lower. I had read that the seat is a bit resistant to install to the Versys 650 but mine snapped right in, easier than the stock seat as a matter of fact.

I went for a short ride with the stock seat before replacing with the Sargent as I had not rode my bike since last October. I should preface, I never hated the stock seat like many Versys owners do, my biggest complaint was some cramping and pain along my thigh on very long rides. So how was the Sargent by comparison, the first thing I noticed is how much denser/stiffer the foam is as the seat is less soft. The next thing it felt like the rider area of the seat was shorter and I was sitting higher. Neither were true. The rider seat only felt smaller because I wasn't sliding forward and pushing backwards anymore, I was essentially staying put. And because I was staying put and the seat wasn't as soft I was simply sitting on the fatter part of the seat so it felt taller.

Other than that the other immediate difference that I noticed is that the step or bump that your tailbone rests against is more pronounced. The stock seat slopes to the passenger seat a lot more gently where the Sargent cups you more and you feel the step or bump along your lower back/butt.

As many have stated on the Versys forum, it doesn't feel immediately better or more comfortable than the stock seat and maybe it's not a big enough difference for the cost. I really don't have the answer for that until this riding season starts and I take my first long trips. If I were to take a guess I would say it's sneaky better in many little ways that make it worthwhile. Speaking of worth, I purchased mine during the President's Weekend sale for around $375. I didn't add any pinstriping or heated elements so it's just basic black.
Greg
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2020, 01:40:27 AM »

Dan, I found the same thing with my aftermarket seats as you did.  None were immediately, ďWow, is that ever comfortable.Ē  They all took awhile to break in and conform to my shape.  The Sargent seat I had was pretty comfortable, at least more comfortable than the stocker.  I put a Mustang seat on the Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad 1700 I had for awhile, and I canít say that it was really comfortable.  It was just better than the stocker.  Iíll bet that the more you ride on it, the better it will feel.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: