December 12, 2019, 11:35:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Importing AK550 to states  (Read 172 times)
jvaz1985
Scooter Freshman

Thank You
-Given: 0
-Receive: 0

Email
« on: November 30, 2019, 04:47:21 AM »

Hello all.  I was wondering if what I stated in the topic title is possible? At first glance, I know it would need to be modified to conform to emissions standards over here but not sure what exactly that entails? An exhaust/muffler? My local scooter shop said they had an old customer who brought a brand new TMAX over here but didnt have a way to contact him to see what he went through.  Curious if anybody here can lend some insight/advice? I really want to get this bike. My current ride is an 2019 X-Town and I had the Agility 125 before it.
Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Kymco AK550 & '12 Piaggio X10 (sold). & '08 SYM GTS (sold)

Thank You
-Given: 142
-Receive: 179

Kymco AK550

WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2019, 07:26:45 AM »

I've got a sneaking hunch it's going to be more than a muffler in case the one they've hung off it now isn't enough. At the least the tail lights are pretty close together as are the turn signals and I' sure that's REALLY, REALLY unsafe. 

__
Don
jvaz1985
Scooter Freshman

Thank You
-Given: 0
-Receive: 0

Email
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2019, 01:15:49 PM »

I've got a sneaking hunch it's going to be more than a muffler in case the one they've hung off it now isn't enough. At the least the tail lights are pretty close together as are the turn signals and I' sure that's REALLY, REALLY unsafe.  

I know how its configured overseas its Euro 4 compliant in regards to emissions.  Those are different than US emission standards. I never would think anything about taillights and turn signals being too close together? Ive seen people with brand new tmax over here and the turn signals and brake lights are integrated. Going to try and call KYMCO on Monday and try to pin down exact specifics about what needs to be changed.
Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Kymco AK550 & '12 Piaggio X10 (sold). & '08 SYM GTS (sold)

Thank You
-Given: 142
-Receive: 179

Kymco AK550

WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2019, 03:59:36 PM »

I did a quick search and found this site. There's no specific answer but a lot of pointers.
https://usacustomsclearance.com/process/how-to-import-a-motorcycle/#How_to_Import_a_Motorcycle_from_Another_Country
Yellow Jacket
Scooter Grad Student

Bikes Owned: 106, 12 scooters, BV250 & '90 Elite 250, sold, Kymco GTi 300 & Kymco Yager currently

Thank You
-Given: 18
-Receive: 24

Email
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2019, 04:51:38 AM »

I once imported a Canadian Honda in 1983. At that time you had a lot of hoops to jump through and I'm guessing there are a lot more hoops today. Bike would need to meet all DOT standards and of course EPA. I ended up taking a somewhat circuitous route that most likely wouldn't work today. I would strongly advise against it.  You should be able to search gray market motorcycle and find something. 

Kymco GTi 300 and  Yager + 11 others in the past.
redeye
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 138
-Receive: 192

Email
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2019, 03:50:47 PM »

I never would think anything about taillights and turn signals being too close together? Ive seen people with brand new tmax over here and the turn signals and brake lights are integrated.

From lighting modification work done to assist a vendor a few years ago, my recollection of the US requirement for front running lights and/or turn signals is 16 inches of horizontal separation. The rear turn signals must have 9 inches.

I have a prototype integrated rear brake/running light/turn signal on my Yamaha FZ-09. However, the turn signal feature is now disabled in favor of the stock signals... a safety decision.

State inspection standards may or may not follow US federal standards, and some states don't have periodic inspections, allowing many owners to 'get away' with various non-compliant lighting modifications after initial registration.

Years of bad habits often masquerade as 'experience'
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: