November 12, 2019, 05:53:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Winterís on its Way  (Read 133 times)
Greg
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 65
-Receive: 258

Don't sweat the small stuff...it's all small stuff

Email
« on: November 09, 2019, 03:54:01 AM »

Today I took a drive up to Eklutna Lake, a lake in the Chugach Mountains northeast of Anchorage. It is the principle source of fresh water for Anchorage. Eklutna Lake sits 10 miles off mile 26 of the Glenn Hwy. Itís quite a beautiful place, and while I was disappointed that it was in the shade, the tops of the mountains were in the sun and the water was almost perfectly calm, showing wonderful reflections. Hereís a couple taken with my Sony RX100 M7. No editing, SOOC. Best quality is in download

Greg
Virginian
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: '19 Husqvarna Svartpilen, '14 Vespa 946, '14 HD Wide Glide

Thank You
-Given: 219
-Receive: 81

Email
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2019, 04:01:25 AM »

Sadly, yes it is. :(

PS: Stunning pictures!

Show up on time, do your best and don't grumble about the outcome.
Greg
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2019, 04:04:59 AM »

Sadly, yes it is. :(

PS: Stunning pictures!

Thank you.  The light up there was very nice. I had good time.  I am really impressed with this Sony RX100 VII camera.
Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Kymco AK550 & '12 Piaggio X10 (sold). & '08 SYM GTS (sold)

Thank You
-Given: 142
-Receive: 177

Kymco AK550

WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2019, 07:28:51 AM »

Great shots, Greg.

__
Don
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: The Fastest Ever Bet & Win 310cc ~ Tsunami 650cc ~ 09 TMax ~ 09 DN-01 ~ 17 Sypder RT-Limited

Thank You
-Given: 356
-Receive: 835

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2019, 03:25:25 PM »

Great pictures.  Seems we didn't really have a fall here this year. Yesterday was 18 degrees when we woke up.  Today's high is going to be 57... Monday snow.

We did finally have a nice sunrise last week.  I normally love our fall sunrises but this year they haven't been good.

This is needed no filter or photoshopping. 

* 75521596_10218541392259555_6397450522940407808_o.jpg (406.01 KB, 2048x1536 - viewed 0 times.)

It's a scooterful day in the neighborhood!
Greg
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2019, 08:32:48 PM »

Very nice sunrise shot.  What I like about sunrises is that the light is soft, yet there is a subdued intensity about it.  Sunsets, on the other hand, are more fiery and very intense, and in the winter, both can be very dramatic.  Hereís one I took a few years ago with another camera, up at Hatcher Pass.  To give an idea of how low the sun gets in the winter, this is what a sunset can look like on December 30.  Not red, but rather dramatic.  Oh, and thatís looking more to the SW than the west.

Spyderist
RCR
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: '16 Can-am Spyder RT Limited SE-6, '08 Suzuki Burgman 400 w/Tow-Pac (better half's), '07 Honda Reflex Sport (also better half's)

Thank You
-Given: 10
-Receive: 42

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2019, 05:04:01 PM »

For those who aren't adjusting their "frame of reference", you might add some times.  On 12/30 there, isn't sunrise a bit after 10am, and sunset a bit before 4pm?  So, by the clock, one could get a sunrise pic, have a leisurely lunch, and then get a sunset pic.

For those who don't live there, or haven't visited, it's kind of a different world (on many levels). [I'm just in the visitor class, and loved it]

Spyderist, formerly known as ZURG

If You Don't Ride, You Don't Know
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4mU8ZqMZPU
Greg
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2019, 06:54:25 PM »

For those who aren't adjusting their "frame of reference", you might add some times.  On 12/30 there, isn't sunrise a bit after 10am, and sunset a bit before 4pm?  So, by the clock, one could get a sunrise pic, have a leisurely lunch, and then get a sunset pic.

For those who don't live there, or haven't visited, it's kind of a different world (on many levels). [I'm just in the visitor class, and loved it]

Thatís a fairly accurate time frame.  Actually, that time of year we have around 5 hours of actual daylight. I donít recall what time I was up there and took that picture, but it was around2 or 3 in the afternoon.  I love the concept of sunrise, lunch, then sunset!  Good one.

Then thereís the reverse.  In the summer, during June and the first part of July, thereís virtually no actual ďdarknessĒ where the sky is all black.  Weíll have about 19 and a half hours of daylight and the rest is, at best, dusk.  If you go far enough north, you can take time sequence photos of the Midnight sun and watch its track as it dips toward the horizon then starts going back up again before actually dropping below the horizon!!  Now thatís different.  Up on the Arctic coast, during the summer it never does get dark, and at the end of December, there is just a couple hours of daylight/dusk.  We love the extended daylight hours in the summer, and when itís time for bed, we merely pull down the light blocking window shades and hit the pillow.

So that previous sunset shot was made around 3PM, possibly a bit earlier.  By contrast, hereís one I took in mid July, I think, at around 11pm.

Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Kymco AK550 & '12 Piaggio X10 (sold). & '08 SYM GTS (sold)

Thank You
-Given: 142
-Receive: 177

Kymco AK550

WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2019, 07:05:22 PM »

We got some of that summer never-dark when we were in Scotland. Weird.
Spyderist
RCR
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: '16 Can-am Spyder RT Limited SE-6, '08 Suzuki Burgman 400 w/Tow-Pac (better half's), '07 Honda Reflex Sport (also better half's)

Thank You
-Given: 10
-Receive: 42

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2019, 07:24:34 PM »

... when itís time for bed, we merely pull down the light blocking window shades and hit the pillow.

Before our visit folks warned us we'd have trouble adjusting and sleeping ... never happened.  But we did take notice of the heavy curtains in the places we stayed - good for insulation and blocking light.

Love that summer shot.
EZMark
RCR
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 2
-Receive: 64

Email
« Reply #10 on: Today at 03:59:23 AM »

Weather report this morning said a "light dusting" of show today.
We got a mini winter storm instead.
3" of snow and sleet with driving winds and super slick roads.
I'm still wondering what the qualifications are to be a weather guy on TV.
A background in horseshoes or hand grenades?
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: The Fastest Ever Bet & Win 310cc ~ Tsunami 650cc ~ 09 TMax ~ 09 DN-01 ~ 17 Sypder RT-Limited

Thank You
-Given: 356
-Receive: 835

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #11 on: Today at 03:38:44 PM »

One of my neighbors works for MoDot.  He said they had the day off for Veterans Day.  I said you are not going in for the storm? He said no just a skeleton crew as their advisors said he was not that big of a deal.

I said everything I'm reading is light snow, then sleet then icing and snow again in afternoon.  Pete said, you are wrong Chester says not going to be like that.

So how is it that little ole me sitting on the internet can forecast a storm better than MoDot or a meteorologist?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: