November 18, 2019, 09:35:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Ride To Northern Greece  (Read 157 times)
Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Kymco AK550 & '12 Piaggio X10 (sold). & '08 SYM GTS (sold)

Thank You
-Given: 142
-Receive: 177

Kymco AK550

WWW Email
« on: November 02, 2019, 02:17:39 PM »

This guy has been posting clips of his rides on his AK, usually around Athens, for about a year now and this one gives a pretty good look at some of Greece's countryside. He's traveling NW from Athens to Metsovo and stopping in Meteora (about half way through). He uses a quadcopter for some of the shots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSP4aGsFxK0

__
Don
sailingskier
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: '05 Honda Silver Wing, ABS

Thank You
-Given: 127
-Receive: 74

« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2019, 06:09:09 PM »

Thanks Don.  That was interesting seeing the country side this way.  Really like the digital speedometer.
And how do they build those homes on the high rocks as seen at the 8:50 and especially at the 9:15 marks of the video?  Must be an interesting project.  Maybe the question is why do they build there rather than how.

Mike
Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Kymco AK550

WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2019, 06:59:35 PM »

Those "homes on the high rocks" are, actually monasteries. They were built during the centuries when these lands were part of the Ottoman empire in an effort to preserve the religion and culture of the people. We've been up there 3 or 4 times over the decades and they never fail to impress. IIRC, there's one of these monasteries that is/was only accessible by being hauled up in a basket.

In case I've got my facts wrong (a real possibility) Wikipedia has some good points and there is plenty of info on them all over the web. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meteora

Back in 2009 was the last time Barb and I got up that way and I got this image just at sunset. It is full size here as it's a cropped portion of the whole and I've no idea what I did to produce this effect as I was playing with my new PaintShop program.

* St. Nicks By Night.jpg (244.38 KB, 617x923 - viewed 7 times.)
Greg
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 65
-Receive: 258

Don't sweat the small stuff...it's all small stuff

Email
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2019, 05:59:18 AM »

Interesting video.  Iím not familiar with the AK550, though.  Looks like itís got a lot of spunk, fun to ride.
Thatís the first time Iíve seen any video covering the Greek countryside.  Beautiful, and interesting.  He was having way too much fun!!  😄  Thanks for posting that Don.  Oh, by the way, I really like your photo.  Whatever you did to get that look really works.

Greg
Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Kymco AK550

WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2019, 08:03:27 AM »

The AK is pretty sporty. I've seen 160KpH with some more throttle to go and it truly enjoys 130KpH. It could use a bit more rider protection from the wind.

Greg
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2019, 04:38:17 AM »

The AK is pretty sporty. I've seen 160KpH with some more throttle to go and it truly enjoys 130KpH. It could use a bit more rider protection from the wind.

Thanks.  I found out that it’s a Kymco scoot.  Well that guy sure looked like he was having a lot of fun with it.  I like the styling of it.  A good aftermarket windshield ought to help with the wind protection problem.
Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Kymco AK550

WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2019, 06:45:29 AM »

In the video he's got the tall Givi windshield on. I put mine on a couple of weeks ago for the winter season.

The wind is/was through the tunnel. It's almost worse than on an cruiser with the buffeting. I've added some deflectors that took care of quite a bit of it.
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: The Fastest Ever Bet & Win 310cc ~ Tsunami 650cc ~ 09 TMax ~ 09 DN-01 ~ 17 Sypder RT-Limited

Thank You
-Given: 356
-Receive: 837

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2019, 02:53:41 PM »

So pretty!

It's a scooterful day in the neighborhood!
Greg
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2019, 07:51:56 PM »

In the video he's got the tall Givi windshield on. I put mine on a couple of weeks ago for the winter season.

The wind is/was through the tunnel. It's almost worse than on an cruiser with the buffeting. I've added some deflectors that took care of quite a bit of it.

I can’t think of a motorcycle or scoot that we didn’t modify in some manner to better manage airflow and wind buffeting.  Even the Gold Wings got some mods.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: