November 18, 2019, 09:30:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Majesty wind noise  (Read 251 times)
Spike
Motofickle Rider
Scooter Freshman

Bikes Owned: Way too many to count

Thank You
-Given: 1
-Receive: 0

Email
« on: November 02, 2019, 04:35:11 AM »

Well, here goes with my first Majesty question.  Any ideas about the source of wind noise on the Majesty.  It's a strange one that begins about 30 mph and is kind of an oscillating chortle rather than a whistle.  I first thought that the Givi Air Flow was the culprit.  So I packed the lower opening with high density foam in case there was some crazy harmonic being developed there.  It seemed to help a little but there was no elimination of the issue.  I came back to the shop and removed the foam and taped up the lower opening under the windshield completely.  The noise was still there.  I returned to the shop and removed the windshield completely.  Again, the noise was of less intensity but still there.  So, that leads me to believe that the noise is emanating from the bodywork on the Majesty.  That's as far as I got today.  I'll begin to look at the bodywork tomorrow. 

Mike
'09 Majesty, '12 R1200RT, '17 DL650
IBA#6154
jdbrot
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Honda Reflex Sport ABS

Thank You
-Given: 21
-Receive: 142

« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2019, 02:00:42 PM »

Could be your helmet, one of my helmets does this at certain speeds. Try holding your hand by the face shield or vents. Different bikes can flow air over the helmet in new ways.
minimac
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 52
-Receive: 110

Email
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2019, 02:40:02 PM »

The wind is supposed to flow through the opening at the base of the windshield. That's to help keep the driver side of the windshield clear of condensation(fogging)  and to help direct airflow over the helmet. I have the touring style windshield on mine. Instead of cut outs to clear the mirrors, it has "bubbles" which direct, the airflow off of the hands and controls. If you don't think it is related to the windshield, Try taping of the gaps between some of the body panels and see if that helps. If all else fails, get some good ear plugs! ( I know, that doesn't help)

Walk fast...look worried.
"If you can make a girl laugh, you can make her do anything"       Marilyn Monroe
Goldwing Aspencade GL1500
Burgman Executive 650
Majesty 400 x2
Morphous 250
klaviator
Scooter Junior Professor

Bikes Owned: Yamaha Majesty, Kymco Like 150i, Kawasaki Versys 650,

Thank You
-Given: 82
-Receive: 73

Email
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2019, 02:57:35 PM »

I have a stock windshield on mine.  It's noisy.  I couldn't ride it without earplugs.

I ride, therefore I am
EZMark
RCR
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 2
-Receive: 64

Email
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2019, 08:44:33 PM »

I have a stock windshield on mine.  It's noisy.  I couldn't ride it without earplugs.

Yeah, Yamaha isn't as good with windshields as Honda.
And Suzuki is even worse.
My 09 Tmax's were loud, but my 650 Vstrom was punishingly bad.
Spike
Motofickle Rider
Scooter Freshman

Bikes Owned: Way too many to count

Thank You
-Given: 1
-Receive: 0

Email
« Reply #5 on: Today at 05:28:01 AM »

Well, here goes with my first Majesty question.  Any ideas about the source of wind noise on the Majesty.  It's a strange one that begins about 30 mph and is kind of an oscillating chortle rather than a whistle.  I'll begin to look at the bodywork tomorrow. 

Well, I checked the bodywork and I found some looseness in the fit (which I gather to be pretty normal) and found nothing that would likely cause this noise.  So I resorted to a Google search that led me to the Majesty USA forum.  There was talk that the speed sensor lacking lubrication on the front wheel has been known to cause similar strange noises.  I'm pretty encouraged that this might be the answer.  I will be looking into this in the next few days.
redeye
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 138
-Receive: 192

Email
« Reply #6 on: Today at 04:44:08 PM »

There was talk that the speed sensor lacking lubrication on the front wheel has been known to cause similar strange noises.  I'm pretty encouraged that this might be the answer.  I will be looking into this in the next few days.

A few years ago, several Morphous owners were chasing down an issue seemingly similar to the one you describe. Although I have no first-hand knowledge of the Majesty's speed sensor, others may be able to confirm whether the Morphous and Majesty use the same/similar speed sensors. A link to the thread follows...

link:  Morphous Speed Sensor

The thread dates back as far as 2013, with the most recent post in 2015. Four and a half years after my second attempt at servicing the speed sensor, it continues to operate correctly and noiselessly.

Years of bad habits often masquerade as 'experience'
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: