November 18, 2019, 08:59:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New member from Northern California  (Read 358 times)
Spike
Motofickle Rider
Scooter Freshman

Bikes Owned: Way too many to count

Thank You
-Given: 1
-Receive: 0

Email
« on: October 31, 2019, 03:21:46 AM »

After reading many of the posts here, it seems that I may be missing out on some fun. So I started shopping for a scooter that would accommodate my frame and my intended use of the machine. I set my sights on a 300 to 400 cc size that would be capable of light touring. And the primary criteria is that (since this is an experiment) it must be inexpensive.
I'm an admitted Craigslist troll (there, I said it) and it's served me well to perpetuate my 2 wheeled hobby without sending me to the poor house. I'm relatively famous in my little riding group for being moto-fickle. I get a hair-brained idea that I want a particular machine and don't let up until I find it. Usually I bring it home, research all the details of the bike, bring all the mechanicals up to snuff, and then ride it for awhile. But, I'm easily distracted. Another bright object catches my eye and I sell the latest subject of my affection and set out on another chapter to search for something different.
So, there I was minding my own business and thinking about this scooter thing. I narrowed my choices down to a few small "Maxi's" (I guess that's a contradiction of terms?) and settled on the Yamaha Majesty as the best bang for the buck in this part of the country. So, SearchTempest to the rescue with a 500 mile radius to test the market.
I find a 2009 majesty listed with only 9000 miles on it. It's been stored indoors and from the pictures it doesn't look like it's been thrashed. But for me the points in its favor are: it is within my set budget, it has a Corbin seat and a Givi Airflow windscreen, and its 500 miles away.
So I make a call to the owner and ask some pertinent details regarding history, service, and the backstory on the bike. Volumes could be written on the subject of extracting information and interpreting the subtleties of concise communication with a buyer to find the important points of a potential transaction. I have a fair amount of experience in this practice and have been fortunate in prior dealings, so I'm fairly confident in my abilities to "pick the fly s*** out of the pepper" as they say. I've already checked the weather and the one way rates for Enterprise rent a car and decide that the following week offers a perfect window for a drive and ride purchase.
With that, a second conversation and a request for a couple detailed photos garners enough information to make me feel comfortable making the guy an offer. In a day I get a call back accepting the offer and I set the plan in motion.
For me, this two wheeled hobby is all about a lifelong series of experiences and adventures. The way to maximize this is to take a couple days and drive the 500 miles, buy a scooter sight unseen, and ride it back home 500 miles in reverse, although on more interesting roads. Risky? A little, but a calculated risk that I was willing to take.
The owner was a pretty nice guy but he did gloss over some of the details of the scooters condition and the history of his ownership. I have to say I had expected that to a degree, and the little issues that were undisclosed didn't sour the deal or my position on the purchase. In the end I got the Majesty home without any mechanical issues other than a loose mirror. The ride let me get familiar with this new design of two wheeled motivation and I enjoyed it. So on with the research, add a GPS mount and 12v outlet, and the bringing all of the mechanical systems up to my standards, and then ride it more! IF my attention span remains intact, my plan is to complete a IBA saddlesore on the Majesty.  I currently have two other motorcycles that run and a couple of projects waiting in the wings.
(cross posted on another forum... forgive the duplication)

Mike
'09 Majesty, '12 R1200RT, '17 DL650
IBA#6154
redeye
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 138
-Receive: 192

Email
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2019, 03:30:46 AM »

Welcome, and thank you for the interesting and informative post. Looks like we have been down similar paths on scooter searches recently. Congratulations on your successful search!

Years of bad habits often masquerade as 'experience'
Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Kymco AK550 & '12 Piaggio X10 (sold). & '08 SYM GTS (sold)

Thank You
-Given: 142
-Receive: 177

Kymco AK550

WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2019, 07:06:51 AM »

Welcome, Spike!
I switched from MCs 3 scooters ago & have never looked back.

__
Don
klaviator
Scooter Junior Professor

Bikes Owned: Yamaha Majesty, Kymco Like 150i, Kawasaki Versys 650,

Thank You
-Given: 82
-Receive: 73

Email
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2019, 06:20:50 PM »

Welcome from Alabama.  I think I read your post on that "other forum" as well.

I ride, therefore I am
Virginian
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: '19 Husqvarna Svartpilen, '14 Vespa 946, '14 HD Wide Glide

Thank You
-Given: 219
-Receive: 81

Email
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2019, 07:32:55 PM »

from Virginia Spike!

Eric

Show up on time, do your best and don't grumble about the outcome.
minimac
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 52
-Receive: 110

Email
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2019, 01:35:29 AM »

Welcome! Glad to see you made it here from the ADV board.

Walk fast...look worried.
"If you can make a girl laugh, you can make her do anything"       Marilyn Monroe
Goldwing Aspencade GL1500
Burgman Executive 650
Majesty 400 x2
Morphous 250
Skutorr
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: 2009 Tmax 500, 2009 Majesty 400, 2007 Aprilia Mojito 150

Thank You
-Given: 5
-Receive: 41

2009 Tmax500 with OODLES of UPGRADES!

WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2019, 07:07:02 AM »

Welcome to another of us up here..I'm in Madera County. Before my Tmax I also had a 2009 Majesty 400...LOVED IT! Wish I could have kept both bikes ...here is a pic of my old Majesty:

You'll notice the Euro turn signals (Clear), different mirrors and HUGE Biondi Touring Windscreen.

It also was upgraded to Pirelli Diablos, 15gm Dr. Pulley Sliders in the variator and Malossi HH Sintered Brake Pads, all absolute MUSTS.

2009 Tmax500 - Faster Yellow!
(Dr. Pulleys, HH sintered pads, Pilot Road 4 tires, GIVI AirFlo, shorty brake levers, Euro winkers, shortened OEM mirrors, custom tail tidy, MIVV exhaust, River Road luggage system, backrest extensions, adjustable LEXAN storage divider, LED storage light, power outlet)
Brubaker
Scooter Freshman

Thank You
-Given: 0
-Receive: 0

Email
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2019, 02:18:00 PM »

Biondi screens always seem to be too high, a mate of mine had one fitted to his 400 Burgman K5. He got round the problem by building up the base of his Airhawk seat cushion with a couple of layers camping mat foam. He said sitting higher and looking over the HUGE screen was a simpler that cutting a few inches off the Biondi to reduce the screen height and maybe cracking the screen.

2018 Honda NSS 300A Forza in Crescent Blue, Givi SR1166 rear rack and Givi E52 top box. Givi D1166ST higher screen, Givi DF1166 handlebar wind deflectors, and a few Pirschjäger mods.
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: The Fastest Ever Bet & Win 310cc ~ Tsunami 650cc ~ 09 TMax ~ 09 DN-01 ~ 17 Sypder RT-Limited

Thank You
-Given: 356
-Receive: 837

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2019, 02:59:38 PM »

It's a scooterful day in the neighborhood!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: