December 05, 2020, 11:57:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: And TMax Makes Three  (Read 6487 times)
redeye
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 144
-Receive: 205

« Reply #60 on: August 30, 2020, 01:19:38 AM »

The last few weeks have included much less riding than I had expected. The happy explanation is several family members and guests enjoyed extended visits to the cabin recently. However, in the last week or two, the place has emptied quite a bit. Notably, our daughter Alison spent two weeks with us in Georgia before returning to Alaska. After on-line instruction since mid-March interrupted only by 10 days on campus earlier in the summer, our youngest daughter Olivia received orders to an ocean-going merchant vessel for summer training and is now on board.

After clearing some dust off the FZ-09 earlier today, I rode towards Blairsville but followed a section of 'old Route 76' rather than the four-lane. This is a more interesting ride, but other vehicles more frequently enter, exit, and cross the roadway. Upon reaching Blairsville, Route 129 took me to Murphy, North Carolina as it has many times before.

On this journey, I decided to spend some time downtown rather than on the bypass road. Murphy is the westernmost city in North Carolina, less than a half hour ride from either the Georgia or Tennessee state lines. Parking on the main road through Murphy, I initially focused attention on the FZ-09.

Looking northeast, the 1st United Methodist Church's property fronts a curve in the road, from a distance almost giving the appearance of being in the road.

Now turning southwest towards the square, buildings, traffic, landscape, sky, and a last moment idea to include just the top of my FZ-09 combined to provide an interesting image.

Less than a mile in the direction of the previous photo, a bridge crosses the Hiwassee River and, on the far side, an interesting opportunity for more photos came into view. On a stunning day, the river was beautiful, and spending time there was a pleasure. And what could the small slab of concrete at the lower left be?

The small slab of concrete is actually a large slab, a public boat ramp into the river. Looks like a fine place for a future kayaking expedition to begin or end.

Today's ride wasn't a long one, but a very pleasant one. In addition to the boat ramp, I found a few places to hopefully revisit soon.

Years of bad habits often masquerade as 'experience'
CathyN
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: 2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT, 2009 Honda Silverwing

Thank You
-Given: 34
-Receive: 163

Saint Louis, MO 2020

« Reply #61 on: August 31, 2020, 04:58:07 AM »

Nice pics redeye.  I hear you on not so much riding this season. Quite the bummer.

It's just not a vacation it's a fricking adventure.
Virginian
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: '19 Husqvarna Svartpilen, '14 Vespa 946, '14 HD Wide Glide

Thank You
-Given: 287
-Receive: 92

Email
« Reply #62 on: August 31, 2020, 06:27:43 PM »

Really nice pics and narrative, thanks for sharing.

Show up on time, do your best and don't grumble about the outcome.
redeye
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

« Reply #63 on: October 16, 2020, 02:38:31 AM »

In a welcome turn of events, the Yamaherd recently moved in to new quarters. I was very fortunate to be in the right place at the right time when a 750 square foot rental unit became available on short notice. With our cabin having no garage and little storage space, we had postponed any decision about construction on our property due to both contractor availability and cost. Now we are in the process of consolidating multiple storage units into a combined warehouse (back), workshop (left), and garage (center and right) with lights, 120 and 240 volt outlets, and skylights. Plans for garage/storage construction on our property are on hold, perhaps permanently.

Lots of work remains setting the place up; it's still a mess. Fortunately, the new unit is only a few paces from three significantly smaller units, so much of the moving required little time. Not visible in the photo is a steel walk-in door, which has new, high-quality security doorknob hardware and a re-keyed deadbolt, to the left of the 12x12 roll-up garage door. Just for fun, I might set up a switch and plug in the lighted, plastic Christmas figures above the office; an outlet is nicely located near them.

With a new workshop available and a long delayed package finally arriving in the mail, one of my first projects was a small one to replace the TMax mirrors. The plastic covering the mirror stalks cracked in several locations. The mirror glass and rubber boots had also seen better days.

The OEM replacement would have required only a few minutes under almost any circumstances, but having all of my tools readily available was a pleasure.

After the mirror replacement, I decided a 100 mile TMax ride would be a blast.

The ride was indeed a blast!

EZMark
RCR
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 2
-Receive: 73

Email
« Reply #64 on: October 16, 2020, 04:36:43 AM »

Both of my mirror stalks cracked on my 09 Tmax.
Luckily while it was still under warranty.
I tried that short shield also.
Loved all the air, but I couldn't stand the wind noise.
redeye
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

« Reply #65 on: November 14, 2020, 01:45:18 AM »

After the remnants of Hurricane Zeta blasted through Fannin County, leaving most of the county without power for several hours and our cabin without power for several days, milder weather returned with some delightfully warm days.

The garage/workshop/warehouse now has much better organization. A recently arrived shipment of rafter hooks installed under the 'boardwalk' (a 10' x 12' deck elevated 8' above the concrete floor) allows easily accessible storage of frequently used items without using shelf space for them or having concerns about them inadvertently falling to the floor.

Fortunately, riding motorcycles and scooters has become a much more frequent, almost daily, occurrence. Today was no exception, and the FZ-09 emerged for a sunny, pleasant afternoon ride. My route followed some of my favorite, preferred roads around Blue Ridge Lake. My first photo location was near Shallowford Bridge, at the Iron Bridge General Store Cafe,

where my FZ-09 exchanged greetings and stories with a couple of fine looking Hondas in the parking lot. Continuing around the southern end of Blue Ridge Lake and crossing the Toccoa River, I enjoyed the curves and elevation changes on Route 60 before proceeding to Morganton Point Recreation Area on the lake.

Dismounting and stepping away from my FZ-09 while bringing out my camera, I noticed a pair of C-130 transports crossing the lake.

Sometimes, I am convinced Air Force pilots instinctively know someone is taking photos and manage to show up as if on cue. Actually, they frequently train in the northern Georgia mountains in C-130s, C-17s, occasionally in fighter jets, and they're always an awesome, welcome sight (and sound).

The FZ-09's shadow gets longer. The final few miles from the Recreation Area and a ride through heavy afternoon traffic in Blue Ridge confirms another very busy weekend is arriving. The weather forecast for tomorrow looks great, so another ride is likely then.
Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Kymco AK550 & '12 Piaggio X10 (sold). & '08 SYM GTS (sold)

Thank You
-Given: 161
-Receive: 214

Kymco AK550

WWW Email
« Reply #66 on: November 14, 2020, 07:48:03 AM »

Sometimes, I am convinced Air Force pilots instinctively know someone is taking photos and manage to show up as if on cue.

Having served the AF Zoomies over here I can confirm your suspicion.

__
Don
redeye
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

« Reply #67 on: November 15, 2020, 04:25:31 AM »

As in the forecast from yesterday, Saturday was another sunny and pleasant mid-November day. The day looked like a tremendous opportunity to ride the TMax from Blue Ridge to Morganton, then down Route 60 to Two Wheels of Suches. This was much of the route Win and Raptor Steve led several months ago as I rode the Morphous. This ride felt profoundly different. Although the TMax unsurprisingly has more engine power, its superb handling at speed was the main event today, and Two Wheels of Suches appeared much more quickly than remembered.

In the first photo, the TMax is the sixth motorcycle form the left.

The gentleman standing left of center in the second photo, wearing the hi-viz jacket, owns the red Ducati Multistrada at left center. We're about the same age, and both fairly new Georgia residents from 'up north', and we spent several minutes conversing about our relocations to the South. We admired each others' rides for a few moments and, like many others in the past, he was surprised at the TMax's engine size. We agreed our relocations were among the best decisions of our lives.

After a pleasant visit, I reversed my route for the return to Blue Ridge, except for a stop at Blue Ridge Marina for a TMax photo opportunity.

A great day, and a great ride.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: