October 17, 2019, 10:47:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: All eyes on Peggy's Cove  (Read 681 times)
SilverBullet
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Pearl

Thank You
-Given: 394
-Receive: 199

Email
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2019, 11:51:25 PM »

+2!

02 Gl 1800 GoldWing
89 Pacific Coast 800 
2012 Burgman 650 Burgman Trike
sailingskier
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: '05 Honda Silver Wing, ABS

Thank You
-Given: 121
-Receive: 73

« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2019, 09:42:01 PM »

Just to keep the following of Greg's and Peggy's trip  .... Right now, according to Ship Tracker,  they are entering the St Lawrence River and tomorrow morning at roughly 8 am EDT they will be docked where the Queen Mary II is now, as seen in this Port of Quebec web cam.
https://www.webcamtaxi.com/en/canada/quebec/city-port.html

Mike
Greg
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 65
-Receive: 254

Don't sweat the small stuff...it's all small stuff

Email
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2019, 11:11:10 PM »

Well, we have completed the cruise part of our trip, and will be spending the rest of today and tomorrow here in Montreal.  Quite frankly, Iíve just run out of steam, so weíre just going to kick back and rest up before flying home, which will be an ordeal, a very long day.

We had the most enjoyable day with Mike and his wife, Judy, at Halifax.  Mike is a wonderful host and tour guide.  He has spent all summer researching places to go for us, and he showed us a great time.  A bus tour could not have come anywhere close to what Mike and Judy showed us.  It was fun to wave at the webcam at Peggyís Cove Lighthouse.  Now that made it to our forum.  Brings us all a little bit closer.  It was great to actually meet someone in person, and to make some great new friends.  I think that stop in Halifax was the crown jewel of our trip.

We stopped at Bar Harbor, Me and did a bus tour to the top of Cadillac Mountain in Acadia Nat. Park.  Too bad there werenít very many colors there, but it was beautiful, just the same.  Sydney wasnít much because we didnít have an excursion set up, and there was nothing close to where the ship docked.  So we just cooled it onboard for the day.  Charlottetown, PEI was interesting, and we took a bus tour around the area.  Made a stop where the house that was the subject of the Anne of Green Gables novels.  PEI is also beautiful.

Quebec was interesting.  Our tour there took us to the Cathedral of Ste. Anne de Beaupre.  I didnít quite understand everything about that, except that she is claimed by some to have been the mother of Mary.  Not sure about that one, but it was a tidbit of information that our tour guide provided.  He wasnít keen on that himself.  But the church was amazing, and the fall colors in that area were also amazing.  We got to see some houses that have been there since the early 1600ís and are still occupied.  We also went to see the falls at Montmercy.  Not sure about the spelling.  That was a bit of a disappointment, but maybe we needed to take the hike and climb the 400 stairs to the best vantage point.  NOT!  And now weíre just chilliní here in Montreal.  Drivers here are insane, and most of the main streets are torn up, under construction.  Hereís a few pics.

Greg
CathyN
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: 2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT, 2009 Honda Silverwing

Thank You
-Given: 33
-Receive: 116

« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2019, 11:53:12 PM »

Thanks, Greg for sharing,  nice pics.  Glad you enjoyed your trip.  I would be tired too.  Sometimes you just have to stop and Chill.  Your on vacation!   

Bob and I just got down to Saint Louis for the Spook and Scoot.  We had to drive since Bob ‘s day off Monday got cancelled.  We will ride in the car tomorrow afternoon have dinner with the gang and head home to Chicago afterwards.  Wish we could be riding but more importantly we are here for the Pub Crawl tonight LOL.  Waiting for Maggie and Pete to pick us up.  Joan, Carolyn and Robert will be joining us.  First dinner than the Pubs.  More important we are visiting one another and catching up.

On a side note it was 38° in Chicago this morning wind chill 28°.  Very windy most of our drive down I55.  Didn’t miss that.

Safe travels.

Cathy

It's just not a vacation it's a fricking adventure.
Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Kymco AK550 & '12 Piaggio X10 (sold). & '08 SYM GTS (sold)

Thank You
-Given: 139
-Receive: 171

Kymco AK550

WWW Email
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2019, 07:31:06 AM »

Glad you enjoyed your trip. It looked like a good one with friends well met.

We understand about the lack of steam!!! 10 days and we're way past the expiration date. 7 seems to be the new number.

__
Don
Greg
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2019, 12:39:31 PM »

Glad you enjoyed your trip. It looked like a good one with friends well met.

We understand about the lack of steam!!! 10 days and we're way past the expiration date. 7 seems to be the new number.

Yes, I think we’re finding the same thing.  I guess that’s the part of getting more, umm, mature, that’s a bit on the negative side.  Just don’t have the stamina we used to.  I guess that means long distance motorcycle touring is likely not on the menu anymore.  But we had fun, and by the time the cruise was over, I was finally getting the hang of it, and I think I could probably do this again.  Next time may be a Caribbean cruise.  In a couple years.
Greg
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2019, 05:02:32 PM »

Itís good to be back home again.  Yesterday we were really dragging.  By the time we got to the house it was 4am.  We fell into bed, but I guess we were too tired to sleep.  Dozed for a couple hours then just got up.  No use trying to sleep.  Last night we were in bed at 10:30, (early for us) and asleep quickly.  Today is much better as the jet lag is fading away.

Again, we were treated to the ultimate tour of the Halifax area by Mike and Judy.  We had a really great time, and it was the highlight of our trip.  Looks like part of a day just isnít enough time.  Thank you Mike and Judy.

In Quebec, they speak French first and English second.  I majored in French in college, but I found out that Iíd forgotten most of what I learned, and that there was a whole lot I didnít know.  But the people were nice, and accommodating.  Donít think Iíd go back to Montreal againóroads and traffic are a nightmareóbut that is definitely interesting country to see.  The fall colors were just starting to show in Massachusetts, but they were out in full color farther north, so even though we didnít have much n the way of fall colors here, we got a nice dose of them in Canada.  Once more, thanks, Mike and Judy.  It would be fun to get together again.  Itís great to make new friends.
sailingskier
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: '05 Honda Silver Wing, ABS

Thank You
-Given: 121
-Receive: 73

« Reply #37 on: Today at 12:52:38 AM »

Greg, I think it is safe to say that Judy and I enjoyed the day as much as you did. 

I'm so glad you mentioned your trip back in the winter.  It was fun, on our part, trying to guess what to show you.  Even today I said to Judy we should have taken a run up to this spot - Paper Mill Lake.  We passed the road to this lake, just past the Sobey's grocery store on the way to the Heart Shaped Pond.  It would only have taken about 5 minutes.  This lake is part of a chain of lakes that fed water to the power generator for a lumber mill/ box factory (where the grocery store is now) for Moirs Chocolate factory. There was a holding pond here for the logs brought down the Sackville River. The history of all of this would take more space than I should take here.

Since last week: our leaves have come into great color; the Queen Mary II, which you were docked behind in Quebec is in Halifax today, (at Pier 22, no less); the crane that fell in Dorian had now been almost taken down; Veendam returns to pier 22 tomorrow -- along with a storm they are calling a cyclone bomb with 2 inches of rain and 100 kph gusts.  Bye bye colorful leaves !!

You are more than welcome for any efforts we put into your trip.  Just come back and we can do it again -- and cover some of the things we are remembering we missed.

Mike
Greg
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #38 on: Today at 03:29:07 AM »

Greg, I think it is safe to say that Judy and I enjoyed the day as much as you did. 

I'm so glad you mentioned your trip back in the winter.  It was fun, on our part, trying to guess what to show you.  Even today I said to Judy we should have taken a run up to this spot - Paper Mill Lake.  We passed the road to this lake, just past the Sobey's grocery store on the way to the Heart Shaped Pond.  It would only have taken about 5 minutes.  This lake is part of a chain of lakes that fed water to the power generator for a lumber mill/ box factory (where the grocery store is now) for Moirs Chocolate factory. There was a holding pond here for the logs brought down the Sackville River. The history of all of this would take more space than I should take here.

Since last week: our leaves have come into great color; the Queen Mary II, which you were docked behind in Quebec is in Halifax today, (at Pier 22, no less); the crane that fell in Dorian had now been almost taken down; Veendam returns to pier 22 tomorrow -- along with a storm they are calling a cyclone bomb with 2 inches of rain and 100 kph gusts.  Bye bye colorful leaves !!

You are more than welcome for any efforts we put into your trip.  Just come back and we can do it again -- and cover some of the things we are remembering we missed.

Mike

Looks like the colors have come out in style.  I hope the wind storm doesn’t take them all out.  That happened up here when we finally got some colors before we left on our trip.  The only color left up here now, is no color.  All the leaves have dropped and just left skeletons.  The next color change will be in April or early May when the leaves come out.

We were parked behind the QM2 in Quebec City.  That is one big boat.  Carries twice the number of passengers as the Veendam.

So it’ll be awhile before we plan any further trips.  But I don’t think we’re done.  Who knows, we may do a return to your neck of the woods, but not on a cruise.  We really liked your area.  Again, thanks for all your help and hospitality.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: