February 21, 2020, 05:31:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: All eyes on Peggy's Cove  (Read 1016 times)
sailingskier
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: '05 Honda Silver Wing, ABS

Thank You
-Given: 133
-Receive: 75

« on: September 05, 2019, 01:17:19 PM »

Well, the forecasts still call for Dorian passing over Halifax as a Cat 1 hurricane on Saturday evening into early Sunday morning.  A short visit, thank heavens. Doubt this will change much now.  If holds true, and you are interested is seeing some "big waves" check into this site now and then on Saturday and Sunday.  Today is quite "calm". The weather prediction calls for 2 - 4 inches of rain with 130kph winds.  And not to forget the roughness of the seas they call for 12 meter waves.  That's almost 40 feet !!  So as long as the power stays on (which is unlikely) the web cam should provide some good shots of waves maybe going over the lighthouse.  Greg will be glad he isn't there on this weekend !   But soon Greg ... soon !

https://www.novascotiawebcams.com/en/webcams/peggys-cove-lighthouse/

Mike

redeye
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 138
-Receive: 193

Email
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2019, 06:32:41 PM »

Best wishes on riding out (so to speak) the storm. We are on Long Island, just outside of New York City. Wind is increasing and clouds are thickening as Dorian prepares to pass offshore and head your way.

Years of bad habits often masquerade as 'experience'
sailingskier
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2019, 12:26:12 AM »

If you want Dorian to hang around your area a while, no one here will be disappointed for a delayed arrival ... or no arrival at all.  The latest is that it is strengthening off your area and now is a Cat 2 and is expected to arrive in Halifax as a Cat 2.  It should pass right over Peggy's Cove.  Wind gusts are expected at 157 kph with sustained winds of the 140 range tomorrow night. The last big storm here was Juan in 2003 which was a strong Cat 1 crowding the Cat 2 criteria.  Every one well remembers that storm.  I was sure our roof was going to leave.  Good thing it didn't because that may have awakened my wife.

Thanks for your best wishes.  Keep watching the lighthouse web cam .... but I expect they will lose power by noon or not much later.  Should be some massive waves.  There is a published request for people in that area to evacuate voluntarily before it is too late.  The storm surge is predicted to be 12 to 14 meters. That's 40 to 46 feet of water coming at you !  I'd be gone by now !!~

Another NS Web cam that shows the water's edge is at White Point Resort ... down the coast from Peggy's Cove.  https://www.novascotiawebcams.com/en/webcams/white-point-beach-resort/

Mike
Greg
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 70
-Receive: 260

Don't sweat the small stuff...it's all small stuff

Email
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2019, 07:35:59 PM »

It’s looking pretty stormy there, Mike.  I’m glad we’re not there today!!

Greg
sailingskier
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2019, 08:00:47 PM »

Yes Greg, we would need the rain gear today for sure.  Power is going out all over the place.  Just found a site called Ventusky.com which is pretty cool.  If you look at this, https://www.ventusky.com/?p=44.1;-62.3;4&l=wind-10m&w=dark watch the progression of the hurricane.  Wind speeds and temperature are just a couple of interesting features on this site.  An hourly selection is available.  This site indicates we will be in the thick of the storm in Halifax area from about 6 pm to about 9pm.  It was set to arrive as a 2 but now they are down to a generous Cat 1.

Not as bad as what others have seen from Dorian but it is a nasty day out there.  It looks like the sea has risen to the edge of the road into the lighthouse as seen on the camera vies of Peggy's Cove Village.  This is the location of the picture of my Silverwing which Maggie  used for October in the 2015 Maxi Scoots calendar.  The wheels would be in water today.  LOL.

Hope for a drier day when you visit Greg.

Mike
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: The Fastest Ever Bet & Win 310cc ~ Tsunami 650cc ~ 09 TMax ~ 09 DN-01 ~ 17 Sypder RT-Limited

Thank You
-Given: 360
-Receive: 847

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2019, 12:34:23 AM »

Hope all is going well, Mike!!

It's a scooterful day in the neighborhood!
jdbrot
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Honda Reflex Sport ABS

Thank You
-Given: 21
-Receive: 150

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2019, 12:37:10 AM »

Looks like most of the webcam sites are down, just still frames here. Prayers for everyone in Dorian's path.
Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Kymco AK550 & '12 Piaggio X10 (sold). & '08 SYM GTS (sold)

Thank You
-Given: 152
-Receive: 185

Kymco AK550

WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2019, 05:51:51 AM »

Thanks, Mike! What an amazing site.

__
Don
sailingskier
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2019, 01:37:34 PM »

Well we weathered this storm.  On a personal level we have a few branches to pick up and shredded leaves stuck to everything; but no real damage.  Our power went off yesterday afternoon at 3:30 and was restored at 5:00 this morning.  Lots of rain for sure and the roads have many branches everywhere.  By 9 pm last night the storm had past leaving strong breezy state most of the night.  The people of the Bahamas would wonder if we had had a storm at all.

With the power off I missed the sights of Peggy's Cove but understand it was a sight at times.

Early reports detail many of big trees down in Halifax and there are stories of a construction tower crane that came down beside an apartment building under construction -- in the center of town.  Should be lots of pictures of that. Also the early reports say there were no injuries and no deaths from Dorian, in our part of its path.

Many thanks for prayers offered for our safety.

For me one of the good take-a ways from the storm was the discovery of  the Ventusky.com site.

Mike

Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: The Fastest Ever Bet & Win 310cc ~ Tsunami 650cc ~ 09 TMax ~ 09 DN-01 ~ 17 Sypder RT-Limited

Thank You

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2019, 03:59:58 PM »

Glad you are ok! 

We saw the crane come down.  It crumpled like playdoh!
sailingskier
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2019, 06:07:57 PM »

Thanks Maggie,

That crane must have been a sight for sure.   I'm about a 20 minute drive from that location ... in light traffic.  There was another video on a twitter post from a nearby apartment. This video looked down the base tower and you can see how close to tragedy this could have been.  The news people go for the sensational don't they.  I was watching CNN at some point on Friday and they said Dorian was next headed for Nova Scotia.  WOW we made CNN.  I hadn't thought they knew we existed.  That's what a devastating hurricane can do !!

Mike
sailingskier
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2019, 01:04:12 PM »

One last comment on Dorian and Halifax ....

It must have missed my area, about 20 minutes away from the locations these pictures which show it nailed some of the center of Halifax.  The schools and universities are closed for Monday to allow for power restoration and clean up.   https://www.halifaxtoday.ca/local-news/day-after-dorian-28-photos-1681018

Also crane pictures from local newspaper today ... this: https://www.thechronicleherald.ca/news/halifax/crane-collapse-in-downtown-halifax-holy-cow-moment-for-dal-student-349851/

Mike
Greg
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2019, 07:06:50 PM »

Boy, that was a close call with the crane folding up.  It could have gone either way.

I’m glad you didn’t suffer anything major, other than cleaning up some debris, and now the storm is over and all is returning to normal and the power is back on again.

We are looking forward to some nice weather during our visit.  Fall colors should be out and beautiful.  We’ll be seeing you soon.
Greg
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2019, 12:44:28 AM »

Well, time is getting short for our departure on the cruise up the East Coast.  We’re really looking forward to meeting Mike and his wife in Halifax.  Mike has been working hard doing research and coming up with interesting places to see and things to do.  It looks like there is considerable history there from Canada’s early history to the present.  This will be a lot of fun, meeting someone I know, but have never met in person.  I feel like we’ve been friends forever.  So we’re excited.  What’s not too exciting is the prospect of the long flight to Boston with a 4 hour layover in Seattle.  Even longer is the flight home, Montreal to Boston, Boston to Seattle, then Seattle to Anchorage.  I believe our flight out of Montreal is around 6am, and we get into Anchorage sometime around 3am!!  That’s a long time to be cramped up on an airplane.  See ya in a few days, Mike, and thanks for all the help.
CathyN
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: 2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT, 2009 Honda Silverwing

Thank You
-Given: 33
-Receive: 132

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2019, 12:59:26 AM »

Greg and Peggy Suz, hope I spelled that correctly.  Have a wonderful and safe trip.  Looking forward to your report and of course your photos.

Cathy

PS say hi to Mike and his wife for me.

It's just not a vacation it's a fricking adventure.
Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Kymco AK550

WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2019, 05:41:10 AM »

+1
sailingskier
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2019, 03:27:50 PM »

Greg,

Judy and I are really looking forward to meeting you & Peggy and Bill & Linda.  We all are going to have a blast.  Weather is looking iffy but still, it will be a good time.  Judy and I have enjoyed this project of coming up with a flexible plan through which we hope to show you as much as possible in a very short time.  And if nothing else, I've learned that 2 or 3 days are required to really "see" this place.  We will meet you at the ship's gangway and head out on an adventure.  My estimate is to be front of the Peggy's Cove web cam by roughly 11amADT.  We will the the six people waving  "like kids on safari". 

Today has drizzle but mild temperatures and 5 ships with 10,000 people in town .... and at Peggy's Cove.  We may even get to show our Alaskan visitors the tower crane that fell in Dorian.  It is still hanging on the building. It is listed as the newest tourist attraction.  Removal has been slow and super cautious. They may leave it there for good! The stop for lunch will be at a place called Shaw's Landing, about 7 minutes from the Lighthouse.  In checking this place out last week Judy and I stopped for lunch. This is their sea-food chowder.  It was as good as it looks.  See you Monday Greg!

Mike

Greg
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2019, 06:03:43 PM »

Greg and Peggy Suz, hope I spelled that correctly.  Have a wonderful and safe trip.  Looking forward to your report and of course your photos.

Cathy

PS say hi to Mike and his wife for me.

We will.  And I will be sure to post a good report of our trip.  I can begin by saying that we leave the house tomorrow morning shortly after 4am.  It’s 50 miles to the airport from here, and we have to drop the car off at the parking facility, then take the shuttle bus to the terminal.  More to come.  Just a note, I am not taking a computer or my iPad with me, so I will not be online while we’re on this trip, and the iPhone is too difficult to use for that.
Greg
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2019, 06:10:11 PM »

Greg,

Judy and I are really looking forward to meeting you & Peggy and Bill & Linda.  We all are going to have a blast.  Weather is looking iffy but still, it will be a good time.  Judy and I have enjoyed this project of coming up with a flexible plan through which we hope to show you as much as possible in a very short time.  And if nothing else, I've learned that 2 or 3 days are required to really "see" this place.  We will meet you at the ship's gangway and head out on an adventure.  My estimate is to be front of the Peggy's Cove web cam by roughly 11amADT.  We will the the six people waving  "like kids on safari". 

Today has drizzle but mild temperatures and 5 ships with 10,000 people in town .... and at Peggy's Cove.  We may even get to show our Alaskan visitors the tower crane that fell in Dorian.  It is still hanging on the building. It is listed as the newest tourist attraction.  Removal has been slow and super cautious. They may leave it there for good! The stop for lunch will be at a place called Shaw's Landing, about 7 minutes from the Lighthouse.  In checking this place out last week Judy and I stopped for lunch. This is their sea-food chowder.  It was as good as it looks.  See you Monday Greg!

Mike

Time’s getting shorter and shorted.  This will be the highlight of our trip, for sure.  We will defy the weather, but you know how weather reports are—just forecasts, and subject to change at any time.  But we’re prepared with rain jackets and umbrellas.  That chowder looks great, and could be just the thing for lunch on a rainy day.  Comfort food, as we like to call it.  That and a nice dark beer should make for a great lunch.  See ya in a couple days, Mike.
sailingskier
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2019, 07:06:44 PM »

That chowder was really good ... worth the drive.  We were checking the drive time from the cruise terminal to Peggy's Cove that Google Maps suggested .... and they were right. So we did the honorable thing, since we were there, and tried out Shaw's for lunch.  Someone had to do it !! Yup ... that's the place we recommend for lunch.  Wait until you see the menu!  That picture shows their "cup of chowder"  The bowl is twice the size.  I told the waitress that we would see them again on the 7th with 4 people from Alaska, most likely.  Funny you mention beer & seafood, Greg.  This is their road side sign.  See you at the gangway.

Mike

Greg
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2019, 01:59:00 PM »

That photo is too funny, given our conversation earlier.  The day dawned spectacular, if cool, here in Boston—42˚F.  We did a trolley tour of the city yesterday.  Very interesting.  Saw some buildings built in the mid-1600’s.  Unfortunately I wasn’t able to get any pictures, as the windows of the trolley are heavy, clear plastic shade style affairs, and are all scratched up.  No fall colors here yet.  I’m hoping to see colors farther north.  We’re looking forward to having lunch at Shaw’s, too.  Had dinner at a seafood place yesterday.  I had lobster mac & cheese, delish, but very rich.  Unfortunately the lobster in it was a bit on the chewy side.  Peggy had the stuffed lobster.  Here’s a couple shots.

Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Kymco AK550

WWW Email
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2019, 03:46:45 PM »

A friend of ours living in Boston is just now a bit farther north looking a moose (last post) and says the fall colors have arrived in style.

Go North, young man, go North!
sailingskier
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2019, 06:19:07 PM »

Ahhh ... the party has begun in earnest !  Lobster will do that.

Not a lot of color here just yet, but it is starting.  By Monday there should be more as we have another frost warning for tonight.  There was a good coating of frost on the car this morning.  But the good news is that the weather of showers and 14°C predicted for Monday is now predicted to be  variable cloudiness and 20°C but feeling like 21°C.  Looks like you will be bringing  good weather with you Greg. If this forecast is right, it should be a great day weather-wise.
Too bad the lobster was on the chewy side .... couldn't have been Nova Scotia lobster !!   

I see your ship is waiting for you at the dock along side Black Falcon Avenue.  Boston Harbor looks like the weather here today.  Sunny and cool.

See you near the Plaid Place in the cruise terminal Greg !

Mike
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2019, 02:06:46 PM »

:-)  Peggy is looking great as always!!
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2019, 07:12:11 PM »

I think the gang is somewhere in this picture.  Mike sent me a text that they were at Peggy’s
Cove.

* E22A5EF7-B2A9-4E38-AE49-273763C85541.jpeg (69.07 KB, 640x400 - viewed 96 times.)
jdbrot
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Honda Reflex Sport ABS

Thank You
-Given: 21
-Receive: 150

« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2019, 09:00:23 PM »

Cool!
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2019, 10:11:01 PM »

* 20191007_200739000_iOS.jpg (587.41 KB, 1125x1680 - viewed 18 times.)
sailingskier
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2019, 01:25:29 AM »

Well we had a really good day meeting maxi-scootists from Alaska.  It was like a rally without a ride or even any bikes in sight. Greg will fill you in with some great pictures. We put 151kms on a rental van for the drive to Peggy's Cove and back to Halifax. Judy and I tried to point out some of the historical points of interest.  (Including the fallen crane from Dorian which still hangs off the building.) The breezy conditions at the lighthouse were a bonus as the waves added to the ruggedness of the place.  In Maggie's capture from the web cam we are to the left of the "do not enter" sign From right to left I have the yellow cautionary sign to my left, Judy to my right, Peggy to her right, Greg to her right, Linda to his right and Bill to her right. Great catch Maggie ... thanks.

This is a picture another unsuspecting tourist took of us. The same order as the web cam capture.

I'm looking forward to Greg and Bill's pictures of traveling up the St Lawrence River.  Should be stunning with the fall colors.

Mike
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2019, 01:34:22 AM »

Very cool! Thanks for the report.  Glad y’all got together.
Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Kymco AK550

WWW Email
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2019, 05:40:55 AM »

+1
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: