December 12, 2019, 11:06:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 12th Annual Spook & Scoot - Illinois Style  (Read 1832 times)
jdbrot
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Honda Reflex Sport ABS

Thank You
-Given: 21
-Receive: 144

« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2019, 10:15:29 PM »

Gathering at the Miles Cemetery

Climbing onto the crypt for a better view

Parasailer at eye level

Pete the happy cryptkeeper

jdbrot
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2019, 10:25:47 PM »

Why not jump off of a cliff in a cemetery

Leap of faith

Success

Ghost tales on the levee

Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: The Fastest Ever Bet & Win 310cc ~ Tsunami 650cc ~ 09 TMax ~ 09 DN-01 ~ 17 Sypder RT-Limited

Thank You
-Given: 359
-Receive: 843

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2019, 10:27:54 PM »

Nice pictures, Joan!

It's a scooterful day in the neighborhood!
jdbrot
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2019, 10:36:39 PM »

Free air conditioning at the quarry tunnel

Pit stop at Lisa's in Prairie du Rocher, Il

Reenactor at Fort de Chartres

Bob and Cathy at the entrance to the fort

jdbrot
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2019, 10:50:22 PM »

Another view inside Fort de Chartres

Old Baum church ghost tale

Impending dusk made things creepier

Pasta cures everything at Joe Boccardi's in Columbia, Il

jdbrot
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2019, 10:58:39 PM »

All smiles for our hosts Maggie and Pete

Happy Cathy, hungry Bob

Great ending for a beautiful day with friends in St. Louis and southern Illinios

CathyN
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: 2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT, 2009 Honda Silverwing

Thank You
-Given: 33
-Receive: 123

« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2019, 12:21:33 AM »

Great pictures and narrative Joan. Thanks for posting. 

It's just not a vacation it's a fricking adventure.
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: The Fastest Ever Bet & Win 310cc ~ Tsunami 650cc ~ 09 TMax ~ 09 DN-01 ~ 17 Sypder RT-Limited

Thank You

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2019, 03:07:22 PM »

Great pictures, Joan.  That Citygarden picture, LOVE!

Was such a great day/ride/friends gathering.
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2019, 03:09:29 PM »

PS: first thing I did Tuesday morning was color my hair!  I had been thinking of letting it go all gray until, I saw all the pictures from the Spook & Scoot.  I remember when I was a kid I use to help my Grandma color her hair. I would say, I'M NEVER doing that.  LOL wrong... plus Pete said he doesn't want to be with an old lady... :-) 
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2019, 03:16:34 PM »

I've been meaning to post the stories I told.

Hickory Hill

The home, originally named Hickory Hill, is considered not only one of the most haunted places in Southern Illinois, but in the nation.
Called the Old Slave House, for years a legend persisted that Hickory Hill was once used in the reverse underground railroad to capture free blacks and sell them into slavery for hefty profits. Some slaves were kept in Illinois for the excruciating work in the salt tracts owned by the home's owner, John Hart Crenshaw. The attic of the beautiful white home was allegedly fashioned into a torture chamber where slaves were shackled to small make-shift cells and often whipped.
Jon Musgrave, a researcher of the home's history, says rumors of ghosts in the attic actually started appearing in the 1800s when townspeople were hearing the all-too-real moans of live people.

When the house reopened for tourism in the 1920s under new ownership, the ghost story revived as inhabitants and visitors alike told of strange noises throughout the house, most noticeably from the attic where, reportedly, blood stains appear on the walls and where chains still rattle and cries still echo at night.
Reports of ghostly shapes and areas of extreme cold in the house, even on the hottest August days, continue to this day.

Eagle Cliff-Miles Cemetery

Eagle Cliff-Miles Cemetery is a window to the past of Monroe County. Those buried within are soldiers of the Revolutionary War, War of 1812, and the Civil War. There are those whose lives that ended too soon and other lives that ended tragically. The creation and maintenance of the cemetery has been a true labor of love,  the cemetery remains the final resting place for at least 450 individuals. The cemetery has a unique history that began with an Indian burial ground and became a place to bury the dead of the American Bottoms. A mausoleum built into the bluffs has endured hard times and today still stands as a local landmark. The story behind Eagle Cliff-Miles Cemetery is one that although neglected over time, holds a place in history. Stephen Miles, a veteran of the War of 1812, was buried here by his son Stephen W. Miles. The mausoleum is located atop Eagle Cliff midway between Columbia and Valmeyer in what is known variously as Eagle Cliff Cemetery or Miles Cemetery. Due to its size and position on the bluff, the mausoleum is visible from several miles away, and has thus gained a prominent position in local legend. It has been a frequent target for vandals, and as a result all bodies were removed and reburied elsewhere; the fifty-six crypts are now empty and open, and the door to the mausoleum is gone.

It has been said that Eagle Cliff-Miles Cemetery is haunted and it appears on many local haunted websites as many have claimed to have experienced haunting here. The Ghost Hunters website reports that the only ghostly activity they encountered was whispers and whistling. There have been reports of digital pictures that have strange smoke lines that are not visible to the eye, appearing on photos. Perhaps these reports of hauntings lie in the fact that 'devil worshipers' burned the Miles family's remains or because when you step into the mausoleum it is eerily cold.

Only the front of the mausoleum is visible to onlookers and this faces the edge of the bluffs. The rest of the mausoleum is covered by earth.
The name S.W. Miles was inscribed above the entrance and a large marble panel to the right of the doorway stated that it was a memorial to S.W. Miles and his decedents; it also stated that the eldest living heir was to manage the memorial. A similar panel to the left of the doorway was dedicated to stating information to the visitor. On the top of the door of the vault, biblical versus were also inscribed. A wrought iron fence surrounded the entrance to the mausoleum and fenced off a portion of the top of it.

Although S.W. Miles had acquired much land it appears that his family fell on hard times following his death, as his son Stephen Miles II filed for bankruptcy. Time slowly saw Miles' Bottom Empire dreams dwindle away. By the time of the 1940's Miles eldest heir had permanently moved outside of Monroe County and relocated to the Coulterville area. Over the years the cemetery fell victim to vandalism. 

I added to the story a quote attributed to Miles... he would stand on the Mausoleum hill and say: for miles and miles, it's all Miles.

Valmeyer/Lake Fountain

I actually have a personal connect to this story, I once dated one of the Neibrugge sons.  His sister saw the "creature" one evening.

In the late 1970s a monster appeared, apparently for the first time in this area.

Russell Ward  was an eleven-year-old boy, was playing with some friends in the backwash of the Mississippi here at the levee, one afternoon, when a “thing” appeared. Terrified, the boys raced home and one mother said he was almost incoherent as he tried to describe this hair-raising experience and the creature which brought it about.

About midnight right on this spot, Rhonda Neibrugge and a young man she was dating  were sitting in his car in. They heard a cry, inhuman, loud and shrieking, in the trees along the river’s edge. Then they spied a seven-foot tall creature slowly approaching the car. It appeared to be covered with light-colored hair, matted with mud, and was walking upright.  They  drove to Rhonda’s farmhouse, filed a report with the sheriff.

A police officer called to the scene  James Nash, inspected the footprints fast disappearing in the oozing mud. He heard the “most incredible shriek” from the bushes and “high-tailed it out of there.” Officers searched the riverbank for hours, following a splashing sound like something floundering around in the water, but found nothing.

The next night Cheryl Ray and Randy Creath, the 17-year-old son of a state trooper, were sitting on Cheryl’s front porch and saw the creature. Randy drew a picture of it for the police.  The sheriff  ordered the entire force out for a night-long search, with a dog.  Jerry Nellis, a dog trainer, brought his 80-pound German shepherd along to aid in the search. Using floodlights, the officers discovered a rough trail in the brush. Grass was crushed, broken tree branches dangled, and small trees were snapped off. The dog picked up the foul-smelling scent. The trail led to an abandoned barn in the area. On approaching, the dog backed off, yelped, and refused to initially enter the barn.  Eventually the dog went in but crawled out immediately, whimpering, and when the police entered the barn it was empty.

Fort De Chartres

Fort Chartres has a Fourth of July parade unlike any other in Southern Illinois, but only when the fourth falls with a full moon. A ghostly funeral parade is said to start at the fort and end in a small cemetery outside Prairie Du Rocher.

Forteans, mystics and skeptics park their cars on the old river road between 11 p.m. and midnight in the hopes of witnessing "what no mortal has seen for (over) one hundred years--a phantom funeral procession making its way from ancient Fort de Chartres, near the Mississippi River, to a nearby cemetery."

Actually, this whole stretch of Illinois' Mississippi River shoreline has an unusual history. In 1718, an enterprising Scotsman named John Law organized the Western Company in Paris to develop France's new Louisiana Territory. From King Louis XV, Law "obtained a charter that granted complete jurisdiction over Louisiana Territory. The charter provided that 6,000 whites and 3,000 Negroes should be brought to the territory within 25 years."

"On the Fourth of July, 1889, a woman named Mrs. Chris and a neighbor lady were keeping vigil over the body of Mrs. Chris's dead baby. It was nearly midnight, the air stifling hot as they rocked on the front porch of the house."

"Suddenly, the neighbor noticed in the distance a shadowy procession of people and wagons coming down the road. Wagons rolled into view, silhouetted against the full moon, their drivers unseen in the darkness. No driver or wagon carried a light or any other visible indication of their origin or intended destination. The only clue to their purpose was a casket that was being transported in a low wagon."

"As the entourage drew closer, Mrs. Chris and her friend became certain that it was indeed a funeral procession."

"The women were astonished--although they counted nearly forty wagons, followed by thirteen pairs of horsemen, the enormous cavalcade did not make a single sound! The horses' hooves were battering against the earth, clouds of dust rolled out from under the wagon wheels and the riders seemed to be talking to each other. Yet, not a sound reached the ears of the witnesses, save the soft rustling of nearby trees, a few night frogs and the barking of the family dog."

"'Oh, my God!' Mrs. Chris cried to her friend, 'If I wasn't sitting here with you seeing this, I'd swear I was dreaming.'"

"But the women were not dreaming. The neighbor woman's father had been awakened by the agitated dog and looked out the window to see the same unearthly formation rolling by. He verified the women's account of the scene early the next morning."

"Mrs. Chris and her friend decided to remain on the porch to see if anyone returned from the obvious destination, the old cemetery down the road. But no one came back--not one of the forty wagons or twenty-six horsemen!"

"What had the women witnessed? And who was being buried by the ghostly mourners?"

"An apparent answer came in a few days from a friend of Mrs. Chris' neighbor who was visiting from DuQuoin. The two women told her about the strange events of a few nights before, and the visitor recalled that her daughter had just read an account of the early days of Fort de Chartres, built in 1756 by King Louis XV, in which a prominent man had been killed in an ambush by a disgruntled resident of the fort. The specific cause of the murder was unclear, and the murderer was never apprehended."

"The people at the fort were unsure what to do with the body. A delegation made a small trek to Kaskaskia, (then) the seat of the regional (French) government, to ask how the death should be handled. They were told to bury the dead man at midnight in an obscure cemetery with only the light of the full moon to lead the way."

"Mrs. Chris and her neighbor realized that the procession they had witnessed was the ghostly re-enactment of the original event," over a century after the original had taken place.

"The current legend surrounding the ghostly funeral procession claims that only three people will be able to see the caravan in the hour before midnight on the evening of July 4. A full moon must be hanging in the night sky."

Some researchers reject the ghost theory and maintain that what the two women saw in 1889 was a time-warp. The warp opened a momentary hole in the fourth dimension, allowing Mrs. Chris and her friend to see--but not hear-- the actual midnight funeral procession that took place during July of 1756.

Forteans visit the site every year, hoping that the time-warp will open and...if they're brave enough...they might step through and into the middle of the Eighteenth Century.

Others stick with the legend, noting that the procession didn't appear the last few times there was a full moon on the Fourth of July. But there'll be a full moon on the Fourth again in  2025. You just never know!

Baum Ghost

One day, in the early 1840s, a young peddler arrived at the home of a Mr. and Mrs. Baum to sell his knives. He was invited into the home by the Baums' housekeeper and in fact stayed for some days. The maid had to leave for the funeral of her Mother.  Upon her return the peddler was gone, but many of his items were now in use in the Baums' kitchen. 

Many strange occurance began after her arrival.  She would find many of the peddlers items in a pile on the table in the mornings upon arriving for work.   Knives were found stuck into the walls around the house.  One day the maid found the knives in the peddlers bag at the end of the drive.  She asked Mr. Baum about the peddlers bag as she was confused why his bag would appear.  Mr. Baum ordered the bag and knives to be thrown out. She questioned Mr. Baum about the peddler’s departure but never got an answer.  Over time the strange incidents stopped.

The maid thought little of the peddlers again until she began seeing a strange, ghostly phenomenon in the kitchen. One morning stabbed into the kitchen wall with one of the peddlers knives was a note from the peddler's ghost that he had in fact been murdered in her absence.
Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Kymco AK550 & '12 Piaggio X10 (sold). & '08 SYM GTS (sold)

Thank You
-Given: 142
-Receive: 179

Kymco AK550

WWW Email
« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2019, 06:27:52 AM »

PS: first thing I did Tuesday morning was color my hair!  I had been thinking of letting it go all gray until, I saw all the pictures from the Spook & Scoot.  I remember when I was a kid I use to help my Grandma color her hair. I would say, I'M NEVER doing that.  LOL wrong... plus Pete said he doesn't want to be with an old lady... :-) 

Totally wrong perspective... Mom told me it's called "platinum".

__
Don
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2019, 04:20:14 PM »

Totally wrong perspective... Mom told me it's called "platinum".

Mine looks washed out.  I have friends that have gone gray and it looks nice.  Mine just doesn't.
jdbrot
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2019, 08:00:03 PM »

My hair guy says "natural highlights". I earned all of my gray hairs.
CathyN
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: 2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT, 2009 Honda Silverwing

Thank You
-Given: 33
-Receive: 123

« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2019, 01:14:23 AM »

I saw my first gray hair when I was 20.  I have been coloring my hair since my late 30’s. I think I am more white then gray.  Not sure been coloring it for so long.  Naturally I am a dark brunette.  I may let it go natural as long as it looks good.  Just not yet.  If one morning I wake up and look in the mirror and see Yoda staring back at me the it is time.
minimac
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 52
-Receive: 110

Email
« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2019, 01:50:31 AM »

I don't care if mine turns chartreuse, as long as it doesn't fall all out. You girls are too vain!

Walk fast...look worried.
"If you can make a girl laugh, you can make her do anything"       Marilyn Monroe
Goldwing Aspencade GL1500
Burgman Executive 650
Majesty 400 x2
Morphous 250
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: