November 14, 2019, 01:06:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: $900 Key Fob  (Read 620 times)
Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Kymco AK550 & '12 Piaggio X10 (sold). & '08 SYM GTS (sold)

Thank You
-Given: 142
-Receive: 177

Kymco AK550

WWW Email
« on: August 03, 2019, 11:14:52 AM »

Well, the bill came in for my lost key fob replacement. It should have been more but they cut me a HUGE break on the service.  The following photos were taken during the replacement of the receiver unit that was the lion's share of the total cost. (Ä805.50)

This look under the hood really shows off the electronics on this scooter!

For those of you just tuning in... I lost one of the key fobs for my AK550 while tearing up some local asphalt. The thing just fell out of my pocket. Kymco doesn't offer a new fob to match the old receiver you have to replace the whole unit which, as you can see is embedded in the middle of all the other electronics. So Ä805.50 later I've not got 2 working key fobs and one extra fob & receiver pair.

__
Don
jdbrot
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Honda Reflex Sport ABS

Thank You
-Given: 21
-Receive: 142

« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2019, 12:46:07 PM »

Wow. That hurts.
sailingskier
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: '05 Honda Silver Wing, ABS

Thank You
-Given: 127
-Receive: 74

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2019, 01:04:39 PM »

Yes that hurts.  A good lesson and reminder to the rest of us to be sure valuables are secured and not just assumed to be secured.  Trying to see a positive side of this for you Don ..... Guess you might have to accept how clean the bike still is beneath the plastic, as that positive thing. There is little positive in a cost like what you have suffered here.

Can't help but to relate this.  I've just gone to hearing aids and the app has losing them covered.  With the "find my hearing aids" feature a google map comes up showing where your devices are.  The aids are so small and with the search area provided by the app's GPS , it makes me think it would still be quite the search. Have to play with it for practice, to see how fine the tuning is.  But if Kymco had this kind of thing it may have helped in your case?

Mike
Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Kymco AK550

WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2019, 04:34:37 PM »

Mike, as I was the #1 person to lose one of his keys here in Greece the whole process and cost came to quite a shock to just about everyone in the circle. The part had to be ordered from the factory as non was on hand then (I'm not 100% sure here) it seems there was some kind of training going on before they laid hands on my scoot, That's why I think they didn't really charge me much in the way of service.

Now, for the real kick in the cajones. With all that computing and electrical prowess under the hood and a computer screen on the dash that even lets you know you've got a phone call and from whom, there is no warning as to the fact that the key fob has gone astray! There's even a "radar" function that can point you in the direction of gas, service, food, or up to 3 predetermined locations relative to your current position but, not the key. And, just to make it hurt more... One of Honda's little 125s, that uses a key-fob, has the function to let you know that it's gone missing.

Needless to say, I'm not a happy camper and came REAL close to just selling the scoot and moving on. But..... it's a real looker and damn, is it fast!
CathyN
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: 2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT, 2009 Honda Silverwing

Thank You
-Given: 33
-Receive: 120

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2019, 08:54:32 PM »

Don,  I think of what happened to you every time I get on my new Goldwing, making sure I am securing the fob.  I am enjoying the new bike and all of it’s tech and speed. Looking forward to getting it out on a longer ride.  Maybe next weekend.  I have just a little over 200 miles on it. 

It's just not a vacation it's a fricking adventure.
Skutorr
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: 2009 Tmax 500, 2009 Majesty 400, 2007 Aprilia Mojito 150

Thank You
-Given: 5
-Receive: 41

2009 Tmax500 with OODLES of UPGRADES!

WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2019, 10:01:09 PM »

...and notice the aluminum heat insulation completely surrounding the gas tank??? Kymco learned from "Tmax Fever"!!!

2009 Tmax500 - Faster Yellow!
(Dr. Pulleys, HH sintered pads, Pilot Road 4 tires, GIVI AirFlo, shorty brake levers, Euro winkers, shortened OEM mirrors, custom tail tidy, MIVV exhaust, River Road luggage system, backrest extensions, adjustable LEXAN storage divider, LED storage light, power outlet)
klaviator
Scooter Junior Professor

Bikes Owned: Yamaha Majesty, Kymco Like 150i, Kawasaki Versys 650,

Thank You
-Given: 82
-Receive: 73

Email
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2019, 11:53:14 PM »

It's not just the key FOBS that are expensive.  I normally get a 3rd key for a spare for all my bikes.  I wanted to get one for my Smax.  It has a gadget on it to unlock the cover for the Keyhole.  I was told it would be around $120!  And I thought it was expensive when a blank key for one of my previous bikes was around 15-20 bucks.

As for Key FOBS,  that's a big negative IMO.  If a scooter comes with a key FOB I might still buy it but I'd much prefer a regular key.  Sure the key FOB MIGHT make it a bit harder to steal but around here no one steals scooters.  Dealers practically have to give them away. 

It's also another complicated piece of technology that could fail out in the middle of nowhere and leave you stranded. 

Unfortunately they are becoming more common.  Even the tiny Honda Super Cub comes with one.

I ride, therefore I am
sailingskier
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: '05 Honda Silver Wing, ABS

Thank You
-Given: 127
-Receive: 74

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2019, 12:36:13 AM »

The worst is over Don ...  don't rush to sell and regret that action.  It is a great looking bike.

I was looking towards a Kymco Xciting 500 when I took "the course" 6 years ago but found the Silverwing locally at a good price.  It would be frustrating that the technology is available but they missed that in the design stage of your bike.  A real pity for sure ...in hindsight.

You may be the first to have the fob go missing ... you won't be the last.
Mike
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: The Fastest Ever Bet & Win 310cc ~ Tsunami 650cc ~ 09 TMax ~ 09 DN-01 ~ 17 Sypder RT-Limited

Thank You
-Given: 356
-Receive: 837

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2019, 01:59:29 AM »

Amazing... the majority of the cost comes in having to remove all the tupperware.

It's a scooterful day in the neighborhood!
Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Kymco AK550

WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2019, 05:59:33 AM »

Amazing... the majority of the cost comes in having to remove all the tupperware.

No!! The cost of the replacement part was Ä705 and the dealer gave me a huge brake by charging me only Ä100 labor!

Cathy, if you look into it I think you'll find that your Honda's fob will replace for about $100 and, maybe even cheaper if you go off brand. The little Honda's over here use the fob and the replacement is only Ä80.
JBCrabbypants
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 4
-Receive: 93

Email
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2019, 07:15:24 AM »

I consider the proliferation of 'keyless ignitions' in modern machines to be THE WORST, and totally unnecessary, technological 'improvement' in our motorcycles and scooters...EVER.

No one can tell me that they are, in any way, 'better' than a simple, metal, 'stupid' key. No one.
CathyN
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2019, 12:19:44 PM »

No!! The cost of the replacement part was €705 and the dealer gave me a huge brake by charging me only €100 labor!

Cathy, if you look into it I think you'll find that your Honda's fob will replace for about $100 and, maybe even cheaper if you go off brand. The little Honda's over here use the fob and the replacement is only €80.

Don, the 2018 only came with one fob. The 2019’s come with two.  We asked for a second one.  They gave us one at no cost.  Why they didn’t come with two was stupid in my opinion.  They cost about a $120.  Still your story sticks in my head.

JB, I agree keys are the best way to go. 
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: The Fastest Ever Bet & Win 310cc ~ Tsunami 650cc ~ 09 TMax ~ 09 DN-01 ~ 17 Sypder RT-Limited

Thank You

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2019, 03:15:49 PM »

Don, thank goodness you got a break.....
Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Kymco AK550

WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2019, 03:48:17 PM »

Don, thank goodness you got a break.....

Yup, I figure he chopped off about €200.
redeye
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 138
-Receive: 192

Email
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2019, 04:32:57 PM »

I consider the proliferation of 'keyless ignitions' in modern machines to be THE WORST, and totally unnecessary, technological 'improvement' in our motorcycles and scooters...EVER.

No one can tell me that they are, in any way, 'better' than a simple, metal, 'stupid' key. No one.

Although generally in agreement with your observation, my experience is primarily parking two-wheeled vehicles in dry storage (garages and rental storage units) at generally safe locations.

...note on 'generally safe locations'... the storage facility holding my FZ-09 and Morphous had a break-in recently, although not my unit. They are now in another facility.

If parking them outside 24/7 were to become my experience, I might consider the long-term value of a (hopefully) sealed keyless ignition versus a weather exposed key ignition.

Years of bad habits often masquerade as 'experience'
CathyN
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2019, 05:39:47 PM »

Although generally in agreement with your observation, my experience is primarily parking two-wheeled vehicles in dry storage (garages and rental storage units) at generally safe locations.

...note on 'generally safe locations'... the storage facility holding my FZ-09 and Morphous had a break-in recently, although not my unit. They are now in another facility.

If parking them outside 24/7 were to become my experience, I might consider the long-term value of a (hopefully) sealed keyless ignition versus a weather exposed key ignition.

Didnít think in those terms redeye.  Good point.
sonuvabug
Scooter Senior

Thank You
-Given: 14
-Receive: 10

Email
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2019, 07:04:20 PM »

WOW ... and to think back in my day, we just used to turn the crank a couple of good, swift times and the motor started.  ;)

2016 Gray Suzuki Burgman 400 (herz) - 10,000 km.
2005 Titanium Honda Silver Wing (hiz) - 32,000 km.
2009 Wineberry Red Honda Silver Wing (hiz) - 5,000 km. (not yet plated)
JBCrabbypants
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2019, 01:11:48 AM »

Metal 'stupid key', or Hi-Tech, big deal, state of the art, electronic-radar, hi-zoot 'keyless' fob, neither would have mattered a hill of beans when one sad morning, two guys literally picked up my new 1979 Suzuki GS1000E, tossed it in a van, and drove off with it, never to be seen again.

They don't have to start a bike to steal it

Greg
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 65
-Receive: 258

Don't sweat the small stuff...it's all small stuff

Email
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2019, 09:05:24 AM »

That is quite a saga, and an expensive one, at that.  I lost the fob key for my Hyundai Santa Fe once, and the replacement was going to be over $400.00, plus the fee for programming it.  They gave me a veteranís price discount which was nice of them.  I, too, have mixed feelings about the electronic key fobs.  Thereís a lot to be said for the convenience of not having to pull a key out of your pocket to start the car/bike up, but itís a real bummer when you lose that fob.

Iím glad you decided to keep the bike.  Itís a good looking one and a good performer.

Greg
Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Kymco AK550

WWW Email
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2019, 03:33:51 PM »

That is quite a saga, and an expensive one, at that.  I lost the fob key for my Hyundai Santa Fe once, and the replacement was going to be over $400.00, plus the fee for programming it.  They gave me a veteran’s price discount which was nice of them.  I, too, have mixed feelings about the electronic key fobs.  There’s a lot to be said for the convenience of not having to pull a key out of your pocket to start the car/bike up, but it’s a real bummer when you lose that fob.

I’m glad you decided to keep the bike.  It’s a good looking one and a good performer.

VW says their replacements cost about €350 for the "smart key" but you can get off brands for about €50 and the locksmith will program it for you. I don't know if they've gotten the whole off brand "keyless fobs" yet.
JBCrabbypants
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2019, 08:42:08 AM »

I'm waiting for them to develop the 'fobless key', that will be a great advancement in convenient vehicle ignition.
minimac
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 52
-Receive: 110

Email
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2019, 01:28:28 PM »

I think the fobs (or whatever) are an answer to a question nobody asked. I find a key easy to use, easy to carry a spare, and no inconvenience whatsoever. Besides, If you have a locking topcase, you still need to have a key. One key for that and another for the ignition-what's the big deal? I'd much rather carry a key or two on a ring, than have to tote around an electronic lump in my pocket. Spare keys are cheap!

Walk fast...look worried.
"If you can make a girl laugh, you can make her do anything"       Marilyn Monroe
Goldwing Aspencade GL1500
Burgman Executive 650
Majesty 400 x2
Morphous 250
CathyN
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2019, 02:44:30 PM »

I was just reading more of my GW owners manual last night and there is a warning light on the dash that blinks if the fob goes missing. 
Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Kymco AK550

WWW Email
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2019, 04:04:52 PM »

I was just reading more of my GW owners manual last night and there is a warning light on the dash that blinks if the fob goes missing. 

Yup, Honda has that little feature on even it's cheapest models that use a fob. Kind'a PISSES ME OFF that Kymco's top of the line doesn't.
JBCrabbypants
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2019, 02:14:12 AM »

Honda saw fit to provide a manual bypass to start the Goldwing if the fob fails, BUT! it's THE most ridiculously complicated procedure I've ever heard of.

I still don't quite understand it completely, but first, you must remove the metal key that is hidden within the fob (if the fob is lost, I guess you're screwed), then, you need to use a flat-bladed screwdriver to pry the piece of plastic trim that is just beneath the rear of the tour trunk.

THEN, you insert the key hole that will be revealed beneath the trim piece, and turn it, which will open the left saddlebag.
THEN, you can find, and pull the metal knob in the left bag that will unlock the right saddlebag, where you will find another metal pull knob that will unlock the tail trunk.

THEN, you can push the start button on the handlebar for four seconds(?) until it beeps.

THEN, you must open the fuel hatch button cover on the lower right inside of the fairing.

THEN, you can enter your nine digit security code numbers by pushing the number, one click at a time, on the fuel hatch opening switch, after entering each number, you must then depress the starter button until you hear it beep.

So....if the first number in your nine number security code is '5', you will push the fuel hatch release button five times, then the start button, holding it until it beeps, THEN, you can move on to the next number in your nine digit security code and repeat. You must do this for every one of the numbers in the security code, which is an amazing pain in the ass, because, in our case, three of our nine numbers are sevens, so right there, we have twenty-one button pushes to enter, then there are six more numbers to enter, one push at a time, to end the manual startup procedure.

IF, you have performed all this crap properly, after you have entered the correct pile of numbers into the system, the dash will light up and 'come alive', allowing you to start the engine via the now activated start button.

This is the BIGGEST pile of needless bullshit I've ever seen on any motorcycle we've EVER owned, and between Teresa and I, that's eighty motorcycles since 1966.

Other than this, we're very happy with the bike.
CathyN
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2019, 03:56:15 AM »

Honda saw fit to provide a manual bypass to start the Goldwing if the fob fails, BUT! it's THE most ridiculously complicated procedure I've ever heard of.

I still don't quite understand it completely, but first, you must remove the metal key that is hidden within the fob (if the fob is lost, I guess you're screwed), then, you need to use a flat-bladed screwdriver to pry the piece of plastic trim that is just beneath the rear of the tour trunk.

THEN, you insert the key hole that will be revealed beneath the trim piece, and turn it, which will open the left saddlebag.
THEN, you can find, and pull the metal knob in the left bag that will unlock the right saddlebag, where you will find another metal pull knob that will unlock the tail trunk.

THEN, you can push the start button on the handlebar for four seconds(?) until it beeps.

THEN, you must open the fuel hatch button cover on the lower right inside of the fairing.

THEN, you can enter your nine digit security code numbers by pushing the number, one click at a time, on the fuel hatch opening switch, after entering each number, you must then depress the starter button until you hear it beep.

So....if the first number in your nine number security code is '5', you will push the fuel hatch release button five times, then the start button, holding it until it beeps, THEN, you can move on to the next number in your nine digit security code and repeat. You must do this for every one of the numbers in the security code, which is an amazing pain in the ass, because, in our case, three of our nine numbers are sevens, so right there, we have twenty-one button pushes to enter, then there are six more numbers to enter, one push at a time, to end the manual startup procedure.

IF, you have performed all this crap properly, after you have entered the correct pile of numbers into the system, the dash will light up and 'come alive', allowing you to start the engine via the now activated start button.

This is the BIGGEST pile of needless bullshit I've ever seen on any motorcycle we've EVER owned, and between Teresa and I, that's eighty motorcycles since 1966.

m

I was going to say something about the spare key.  But said nah! To complicated.

Bob and I got out today to Galena, Savananah IL went into Iowa and drove up the River road to Dubuque.  432 miles and 11 hours later we are back home.  Great day to ride.  Enjoying the bike I am.  On a stretch of I90 I switched into Sport mode and got up to 95 mph.  Blew right past Bob. 😊

* 60FC9B7F-129A-4134-8474-218AD32372D8.jpeg (1535.14 KB, 2048x1536 - viewed 12 times.)

* 6CDD123E-509C-402D-B5F4-FFCEDC5E15AA.jpeg (600.39 KB, 2048x1536 - viewed 11 times.)

* B3BF7BC6-9754-471F-9E4A-7DB4394C734C.jpeg (1221.25 KB, 2048x1536 - viewed 12 times.)
Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Kymco AK550

WWW Email
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2019, 06:34:35 AM »

I think I'd just hang a "FOR SALE" sign on it and call it a good day.
jdbrot
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Honda Reflex Sport ABS

Thank You
-Given: 21
-Receive: 142

« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2019, 01:20:48 PM »

I guess the ride more than makes up for the technological madness. At least Honda has an alternative method. Hope your face does not hurt from all that smiling.
JBCrabbypants
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2019, 11:48:12 PM »

I think I'd just hang a "FOR SALE" sign on it and call it a good day.

For better or worse, the new GL's have overwhelmingly redeeming qualities that make putting up with a few ' insanely 'techno-stupid' features livable.

The multitude of buttons stuck onto the handlebar switchboxes of Goldwings had repelled us from owning one for many years, but we eventually just shut our eyes and bought one of the things, finally admitting to ourselves that the bike's were just too good to ignore any longer. The result is that we are now on our third GL1800.
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2019, 11:59:39 PM »

NIce, Cathy!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: