September 22, 2019, 05:33:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: First World Problems  (Read 427 times)
Dan
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 224
-Receive: 363

Rollin', Rollin', Rollin'

« on: August 01, 2019, 12:37:39 AM »

So my little go-kart electric Smart Car lease ends next year end of August.  That means I have just over a year with the capacity to have three motorcycles in my garage.  I had three last year with the Ninja 650 but it was too similar to the Versys so it went away.  So I started poking around on CL looking for deals that don't go over $3k.  Nothing really stood out but I was thinking it would be nice to find a used Moto Guzzi for something very different than what I have now.  I was a bit tempted by an old Kawasaki Vulcan 750, the 80's style, it's before Japan really understood what an American cruiser should look like.  Here's a photo from the web.

My research indicates that it's a bit finicky and prone to certain issues.  Wouldn't mind a nice cafe racer either but that would be hard to find.  Maybe a Bonneville... just spitballing here as I bet that would still be over $3k.

That's it, just a bit of motorcycle shopping fun, nothing too serious at the moment.  Just something very different from a Versys or a VFR 800... which is a shame cause I saw two real nice Triumph Sprint ST's.

Practicing Normite.
minimac
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 52
-Receive: 106

Email
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2019, 05:08:34 AM »

I would suggest a call out to Mr.Crabbypants. I think he knows everything there is about looking for a specific bike and falling for something entirely different!

Walk fast...look worried.
"If you can make a girl laugh, you can make her do anything"       Marilyn Monroe
Goldwing Aspencade GL1500
Burgman Executive 650
Majesty 400 x2
Morphous 250
Dan
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2019, 07:51:12 PM »

So I checked out some Moto Guzzi's and while I still like them and would want one they are still priced too high used for my budget.
JBCrabbypants
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 4
-Receive: 93

Email
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2019, 09:04:38 PM »

So I checked out some Moto Guzzi's and while I still like them and would want one they are still priced too high used for my budget.

I'm kind of surprised at that, my thoughts were that Guzzi used prices would be lower than competing models from other brands. It might be a regional thing too, Moto-Guzzi bikes do not sell very well here in 'Harley County, South Dakota'. They probably go for higher prices in large urban areas.
Dan
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2019, 01:00:54 AM »

I'm kind of surprised at that, my thoughts were that Guzzi used prices would be lower than competing models from other brands. It might be a regional thing too, Moto-Guzzi bikes do not sell very well here in 'Harley County, South Dakota'. They probably go for higher prices in large urban areas.

You could be right, I was looking at the newer used Guzzi's, maybe four-five years old, V7's and some V9's and they were around $4.5k and that's just too much out of my budget not so much the value of the bike.  However, while I was on Craigslist I stumbled onto an old bike I used to covet but sort of forgotten about, a Honda Hawk GT.  I think it would be a perfect alternative ride.  For those of you not familiar, here is a photo from the web.

Dan
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2019, 01:07:02 AM »

Here is another with the stock exhaust I believe.  Much nicer looking than that god-awful carbon fiber appendage in the other photo.

jdbrot
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Honda Reflex Sport ABS

Thank You
-Given: 18
-Receive: 136

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2019, 01:20:33 AM »

Always thought that was the nicest looking Hawk, I think the frame is made and designed in Italy.
JBCrabbypants
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2019, 09:22:54 AM »

Personally, I'd buy the Hawk...but that's easy for me to say, and I have almost zero knowledge of that model, and have never ridden one.

But they sure look great, and are quite rare these days. You probably couldn't lose money on one, from what I've seen, they certainly can't depreciate anymore, and I would expect that prices for good examples are steady, if not rising by now.
Dan
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2019, 03:47:25 PM »

I think you guys are right, the Hawk GT is something of a rare bird (very punny) and looks interesting and different enough to add.  I'm leaving for ten days and when I get back if money aligns and the bike is still available I will check it out.

Just a random thought, I've owned six bikes and they have all been Kawasaki's or Honda's.
Greg
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 62
-Receive: 253

Don't sweat the small stuff...it's all small stuff

Email
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2019, 05:59:02 PM »

The Hawk wasnít a big seller for Honda.  While it sold well, it just didnít sell enough.  I believe itís a 650cc bike.  Nonetheless, it is a great bike, sort of like the 650 Vstromóis good in all areas, but not great in any.  Just a nice all around motorcycle.  I think it would be a great buy.  And maybe now, years after Honda ceased making the Hawk, itís finally a great motorcycle.  By the way, it sort of looks like a naked, baby VFR Interceptor.  Gotta love the red color, too.

Greg
JBCrabbypants
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2019, 01:32:18 AM »

I really liked it's grey finished, three-spoke wheels, very easy to clean and they looked great, not overstyled like so many others.

Also a fan of it's single-sided swingarm, pretty exotic for it's time.
sirkitrider-2
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: 2011 Burgman 650,2012 Silverwing, Burgman 650, Burgman 400x2, Vulcan 750x4, Goldwing 1200'sx2, Honda Nighthawkx2, Honda Helix

Thank You
-Given: 5
-Receive: 46

Back in Babies' Arms

Email
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2019, 03:56:01 PM »

So my little go-kart electric Smart Car lease ends next year end of August.  That means I have just over a year with the capacity to have three motorcycles in my garage.  I had three last year with the Ninja 650 but it was too similar to the Versys so it went away.  So I started poking around on CL looking for deals that don't go over $3k.  Nothing really stood out but I was thinking it would be nice to find a used Moto Guzzi for something very different than what I have now.  I was a bit tempted by an old Kawasaki Vulcan 750, the 80's style, it's before Japan really understood what an American cruiser should look like.  Here's a photo from the web.

My research indicates that it's a bit finicky and prone to certain issues.  Wouldn't mind a nice cafe racer either but that would be hard to find.  Maybe a Bonneville... just spitballing here as I bet that would still be over $3k.

That's it, just a bit of motorcycle shopping fun, nothing too serious at the moment.  Just something very different from a Versys or a VFR 800... which is a shame cause I saw two real nice Triumph Sprint ST's.

Dan,

I owned 4 VN750's.  Great bikes.  Really Smooth for a Vtwin. Plenty of power ... 67 hp IIRC?
Great handling ... putt around on backroads all day and then hop on the Interstate and get on got 80+ mph.  Couple of bug-a-boo's ... if/when the stator goes you gotta pull the engine to R/R.  The timing chains adjuster's were a little wonkie.  I replaced mine with manual adjusters.  Stock seat and instrument of torture disapproved by the Geneva Convention:-(    If you get one be sure and checked the final drive and drive shaft for proper lube.  Some got out the factory w/o that, which led to failures.

One was total by a Hyuandi Sonota, (sp) another undone by a labador pup.  My favorite bike, second only to the Burgman 650.

Sirkitrider

John 3:16
redeye
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 128
-Receive: 185

Email
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2019, 08:42:08 PM »

...I was thinking it would be nice to find a used Moto Guzzi for something very different than what I have now.

With no specific thoughts on your motorcycle quest, I appreciate the idea of finding something very different than what you have now. Among the greatest advantages of owning both a 14 HP Morphous and a 100+ HP FZ-09 are their substantial differences in appearance and performance.

A third motorcycle or scooter isn't out of the question for me, either. While a new, but expensive, Zero SR/F remains high on my preference list, it would probably replace my FZ-09, which I really like after almost six years. An interesting, less expensive option might be a well-maintained T-Max, with performance and appearance somewhere between my two current rides.

Years of bad habits often masquerade as 'experience'
Dan
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2019, 05:27:42 PM »

We got hit with a few big ticket expenses in the last week so Iím going to have to put the third bike on hold for now. Shame as I really liked that Hawk. I have a new project with a client today that may have a slight chance to reverse my discretionary fortunes so itís not out of the picture yet.
Dan
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2019, 11:33:24 PM »

I'm back to bike shopping.  Today I went to look at a Honda Hawk GT.  It's a 30 year old bike and the one that I saw looked like a 30 year old bike and sadly, rides like a 30 year old bike.

The above image is not the bike I looked at today but it is a mint example of the bike for reference sake.

So the bike's plastics were scuffed just about everywhere with a golf ball sized dent in the tank.  Mechanically the frame and working bits looked okay with spots of oxidation all over.  The owner let me take a test ride, which is unusual because I did not bring any cash to buy on the spot, and first impression, the bike is tiny, I felt like a bear on a tricycle.  The bike fired right up and the motor was strong, that's where the plusses end.  Riding it the bike bounced up and down on every road undulation and I even bottomed it out on one particularly big dip in the road.  I'm not a heavy guy, I weigh right around 160 so I was surprised that I bottomed it out.  The transmission was awful, extremely vague, you really had to hit the shifter hard to get the gears to move.  I was able to figure out some of it's idiosyncrasies on the ride back to the shop and working the shifter hard I could see that a well preserved version of this bike would be really entertaining.  It's side to side transitioning is effortless due to it's extremely light weight, the motor is really torquey and fun and it loves to be thrown into a curve.

I'll keep my eyes out for another.  I had a conversation with a Hawk GT owner on another forum and he told me it's a great bike but pales compared to Suzuki SV650 and really the only reason to get a Hawk GT is pure nostalgia, which is a valid enough reason.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: