November 14, 2019, 12:19:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hello, from Saskatoon Sk Canada  (Read 236 times)
maxaryaman2004
Scooter Freshman

Thank You
-Given: 0
-Receive: 0

Email
« on: July 07, 2019, 11:24:25 PM »

By way of an introduction, I am a 64 yr old who has ridden since he was 15, all without accidents or tickets.

In 2016, I purchased a 2009 Honda Silverwing FSC600A-9 (anti-lock brakes) with only 7800km after the original owner sold it back to the local Honda dealer.
Since that time, I have enjoyed riding it, and have done some component replacements, starting with the outer variator sheave as it was grooved, along with a new drive belt. I also cleaned and sanded the clutch pads and thoroughly cleaned the drive train, as well as changed the final drive oil.
See photos here:  https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ags0n2CJN4h4qltQn4YsgSqeONqc
I also replaced the OEM tires with a set of Michelins as the older tires were showing signs of ‘checking’ on the sidewalls.
Today, the odometer reading sits at an underwhelming 19300KM, as the bike is stored inside in the winter months.
Going for a ride today, I checked the tire pressures and found the rear fine and the front to be low at 23PSI, so dutifully inflated it to the recommended 29PSI. I am now finding that the front end ride is feeling quite harsh over even the smaller road irregularities, to the point where I wonder if things are bottoming out.
Sag measured at just over an inch when coming off of the centerstand and more once my weight was on the bike.
Should I be concerned about possible fork bottoming and if so, damage to the suspension? I would imagine that after 10 years the OEM springs have lost a lot of their temper, hence the sagging/bottoming.
Can these forks be removed from the bike without the need to remove bodywork? If I remove the front fender, wheel and brake components, it seems as though I should be able to access the suspension retention bolts and slide the forks down and out of the tree. IF this is possible then I would have the Honda tech rebuild them.
Any suggestions fellows?

Thank you.
jdbrot
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Honda Reflex Sport ABS

Thank You
-Given: 21
-Receive: 142

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2019, 02:31:40 AM »

Many Silverwing owners have installed Hyperpro Progressive Suspension springs in the forks. Check the Silverwing600 forum for info.
Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Kymco AK550 & '12 Piaggio X10 (sold). & '08 SYM GTS (sold)

Thank You
-Given: 142
-Receive: 177

Kymco AK550

WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2019, 03:23:01 PM »

Welcome from Athens, Greece.

I made a little mod to our post so the link to the photos displays correctly. When you want to place a link or photo, etc. you need to enter "preview" mode and select the required action from the list provided.

__
Don
Virginian
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: '19 Husqvarna Svartpilen, '14 Vespa 946, '14 HD Wide Glide

Thank You
-Given: 219
-Receive: 81

Email
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2019, 05:27:28 PM »

Welcome from Virginia!

Eric

Show up on time, do your best and don't grumble about the outcome.
Skutorr
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: 2009 Tmax 500, 2009 Majesty 400, 2007 Aprilia Mojito 150

Thank You
-Given: 5
-Receive: 41

2009 Tmax500 with OODLES of UPGRADES!

WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2019, 10:15:40 PM »

My brother put Hyperpro front springs in his Silverwing, as the front was so bad it kept trying to go into a tank-slapper on the freeway. Disconcerting, to say the least. It helped a LOT. Also put in Dr. Pulley sliders to help it off the line, and sintered pads to get it to stop...

You are right; we just supported the bike, removed the front wheel and then unbolted and slid out the struts...

2009 Tmax500 - Faster Yellow!
(Dr. Pulleys, HH sintered pads, Pilot Road 4 tires, GIVI AirFlo, shorty brake levers, Euro winkers, shortened OEM mirrors, custom tail tidy, MIVV exhaust, River Road luggage system, backrest extensions, adjustable LEXAN storage divider, LED storage light, power outlet)
sailingskier
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: '05 Honda Silver Wing, ABS

Thank You
-Given: 127
-Receive: 74

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2019, 01:02:41 PM »

Welcome from Nova Scotia!

I haven't changed the springs but have been thinking lately about it.

Mike
CelticCross
Scooter Grad Student

Bikes Owned: 2016 CanAm Spyder RTLtd

Thank You
-Given: 16
-Receive: 23

Email
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2019, 06:56:53 PM »

Welcome from Ohio.

CelticCross
Pages: [1]   Go Up