September 19, 2019, 02:41:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Have you avoided a crash?  (Read 504 times)
Skutorr
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: 2009 Tmax 500, 2009 Majesty 400, 2007 Aprilia Mojito 150

Thank You
-Given: 4
-Receive: 41

2009 Tmax500 with OODLES of UPGRADES!

WWW Email
« on: June 19, 2019, 11:22:13 PM »

Had two incidents.

The first was following my brother on his Tmax 530 on MY Tmax 500 on a winding road with blind curves, 55MPH limit and we were familiar with the road. Went around a tight 120 degree right-hander to find ALL THE CARS WERE STOPPED IN THE STREET! (A Harley had low-sided up ahead...as they all eventually do...) I grabbed a bunch of brakes and stopped 5 feet behind the last of about 60 cars. my brother's 530 locked his rear wheel and he slid past the last two cars, staying upright. (I had converted to full sintered pads which saved my ass...he hadn't...)

The second was on a weekend ride, super windy day with 50-60 mph Santa Ana winds. Was leading the ride, went around a flat, clear 90 degree left-hander while pointing out to my trailing brother a bunch of gravel on the right of the turn from an entering gravel road. Looked left through the turn, and realized that the huge shadowed area across the road for the next 100 yards, cast by the row of eucalyptus trees along the right edge of the road, was MOVING? WTF???  One of the Eucalyptus trees had just SNAPPED OFF and had landed across the road...
Nailed the brakes, slid just a bit, and finally "bumped" into the tree still doing about 5 mph. Almost pulled it off, wobbled and fell over like Artie Johnson on his Trike on Laugh-In. One scratch on the bike and a sore left ankle/leg where the bike fell on me. Took my brother and a passerby to lift the bike off me, which was wedged in among the branches. More embarrassing than painful. Got back up and we did the next 150 miles of the ride...

Moral of the story? ANYTHING could be in the road at any time...

2009 Tmax500 - Faster Yellow!
(Dr. Pulleys, HH sintered pads, Pilot Road 4 tires, GIVI AirFlo, shorty brake levers, Euro winkers, shortened OEM mirrors, custom tail tidy, MIVV exhaust, River Road luggage system, backrest extensions, adjustable LEXAN storage divider, LED storage light, power outlet)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: