August 25, 2019, 07:40:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Four Day Tellico Plains Getaway  (Read 587 times)
klaviator
Scooter Junior Professor

Bikes Owned: Yamaha Majesty, Kymco Super 8 150, Kymco Like 150i, Kawasaki Versys 650, Kawasaki KLR650

Thank You
-Given: 73
-Receive: 72

Email
« on: May 18, 2019, 02:57:39 AM »

The weather finally cooperated so thst I could go riding for a few days without getting soaked so I headed up to the Cherohala Mountain Trails Campground in Tellico Plains Tn for 4 days of scooting.  When I got to the campground there were a tour group from Germany and Austria there to have lunch.

I registered, set up camp and went riding.

My kind of sign.

I only rode about 80 miles but I probably stopped and took about 80 pics and had fun ride on some scenic twisty roads. 

The next day would be much longer and I would be riding some serious mountain roads with 2 guys on much faster bikes.  Last year EZMark told me a 150cc scooter was too small to ride these steep mountain roads.

We'll have to see about that.

I ride, therefore I am
klaviator
Scooter Junior Professor

Bikes Owned: Yamaha Majesty, Kymco Super 8 150, Kymco Like 150i, Kawasaki Versys 650, Kawasaki KLR650

Thank You

Email
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2019, 03:01:21 AM »

The next morning I got up and was on the road by 7. It was around 45 and foggy but soon started to clear up.

It didn't feel too cold until I got on 129, much of which runs along the water. I warmed up a bit by stopping a lot and taking pics.

klaviator
Scooter Junior Professor

Thank You

Email
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2019, 03:08:26 AM »

I was now on the dragon trying to get a feel for how my scooter would handle these curves.  I stopped to take some pics and my buddy Jerry showed up on his 250 Ninja.

We pulled in to the Deal's Gap Motorcycle resort to eat breakfast and wait for the third member of our group.  We had no problam finding parking.

Steve soon showed up on his V Strom 650.  We ate and then hung out a bit outside.  I took the obligatory tourist photo since this was the first time for my new scooter at Deal's Gap.

Then we rode as short ways to one of my favorite picture spots near the Fugitive Dam.

Then we rode some really nice, super twisty roads that are unknown to most of the riders who come through this area.  Then we rode back to the overlook on 129 where we stopped and took a break.

redeye
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 128
-Receive: 185

Email
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2019, 02:11:58 PM »

Thanks for posting photos and comments. I have traveled through Tellico Plains several times driving a truck loaded with household items, just not yet on two wheels or off of Route 68. Your posts help me look forward to the first two wheeled ride in the area.

Years of bad habits often masquerade as 'experience'
klaviator
Scooter Junior Professor

Thank You

Email
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2019, 05:27:15 PM »

Thanks for posting photos and comments. I have traveled through Tellico Plains several times driving a truck loaded with household items, just not yet on two wheels or off of Route 68. Your posts help me look forward to the first two wheeled ride in the area.

You will be living in the middle of some of the best riding in the country. 
klaviator
Scooter Junior Professor

Thank You

Email
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2019, 05:37:06 PM »

Then we rode through Happy Valley and picked up the old section of the Foothills Parkway. We got off on 321 to get gas and some snacks. This is actually the parking lot of a gas station. Pretty nice spot for a break.

Then it was time to try out the new section of the Foothills Parkway which just opened a few months ago.  Steve and I swapped bikes for this so the next few pics I took were from the V Strom.

When we got to the end we turned around and rode it the other direction.

Steve getting a selfie.

I like this new section of the FHP better than the old section.  Besides the brand new pavement it has better views and better curves.

We stopped to enjoy the view.

Did I mention it was a beautiful day for a ride.

Jerry took the Like for a short spin.

Jerry Soon broke off and headed home. Steve and I rode back to Tellico where we had a great dinner at the Tellicafe. A group of riders came in and it turned out that two of them where guys I used to ride with in the HSTA many years ago.  It's a small world!

After dinner Steve headed back to Blue Ridge and I headed back to the campground.  We planned on meeting again the next morning for another ride.

I averaged around 80 MPG and rode close to 250 miles.

klaviator
Scooter Junior Professor

Thank You

Email
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2019, 08:33:56 PM »

I was up early again the next morning. Got a pic of my camp and new tent.

It was cold again this morning, in the 40s but not foggy. I rode over the Skyway. It really wasn't much colder at the top than at lower elevations. It still looked more like early spring at higher elevations.

This was a good test of the like's hill climbing ability. It would do 40+ on even the steepest parts of the Skyway. The Super 8 was a good 5 MPH slower on the hills and the Smax about 5 MPH faster.

I was pretty cold by the time I got ot Robbinsville where I met Jerry for breakfast at McDs. Then we rode to the raft put in site at the beginning of Wayah Rd where we met up with Steve.

Steve was on his new V Strom 1000. He got a great deal on a NOS 2014 model. Here he is telling Jerry all about it.

It was still chilly but a beautiful day.

EZMark
RCR
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 2
-Receive: 64

Email
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2019, 02:26:45 AM »

I see a pic of Steve's 650. Did he buy the 1000 during this trip?
klaviator
Scooter Junior Professor

Thank You

Email
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2019, 04:30:59 AM »

I see a pic of Steve's 650. Did he buy the 1000 during this trip?

He bought the 1000 in the last few months.  He rode the 650 on Tuesday and 1000 on Wednesday.  Since he lives in Blue Ridge these were just day rides for him. 
klaviator
Scooter Junior Professor

Thank You

Email
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2019, 04:38:50 AM »

We rode 74, 28, and one of my "secret" roads to Franklin. (secret means I can't remember the name and am too lazy to look it up:lol3) After Franklin more twisty roads to one of my favorite places to take a break.

There is a sand beach here and during the warmer months there can be some nice "scenery to look at but today was cold and windy.  We were pretty bundled up for the ride and it still felt chilly when stopped.  On top of that clouds had moved in making it colder.

But when I looked down at the beach I couldn't believe it!

I guess they really wanted a tan.

We hung out for a while and talked about various things.

I took off first to get some scenic shots.

Then I moved to another vantage point and waited for Steve and Jerry so I could get some "action" pics. While I was waiting.....

And here they come.

And there they go.

I think I used about all of my 50X zoom for this next one. It's a bit blurry, I could have used a tripod for this, but I think the effect is cool.

klaviator
Scooter Junior Professor

Thank You

Email
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2019, 04:43:50 AM »

We continued on and rode some twisty roads.  I didn't take any pics until I got to one of my favorite picture spots on the "too too" road. That's not the real name of the road but the late Frank Cheek named it that since he considered it "too crooked and too steep to ride on a motorsickle".

I only got Jerry and my scooter because Steve didn't want to ride his big beast out on the narrow gravel trail and then have to get the beast turned around.

Another of my favorite picture spots. I have taken pictures of a bunch of my other bikes here so now I have the Like as well.

Bridal Veil Falls.

We had a good run down 28 to Franklin. Traffic on this road can be nasty but if you catch it without traffic it is sublime. Imagine the dragon with way better scenery.

we stopped in Franklin for gas. With my tiny 1.8 gallon tank I was the only one who needed it. It turned out I could have passed since I got 90 MPG on that tank and still had plenty left to get to Robbinsville.

We stopped at Fat Buddies in Franklin for a late lunch/early dinner. It's a great place for BBQ.

Then we rode Wayah RD. It's another of my favorites and we didn't have any traffic slowing us down.

After Wayah Rd Steve headed back home. Jerry and I rode together to Robbinsville and then split up. I took the Skyway back to Tellico.

This interesting vehicle was pulling out as I pulled into a turnout.

By the time I got back to the campground this was my tripmeter for the day. I actually took this pic the next morning which is why there is dew on the glass.

EZMark
RCR
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2019, 06:34:18 PM »

I especially love the pictures you take looking back at the twisty roads.
minimac
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 52
-Receive: 106

Email
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2019, 08:34:13 PM »

Looks like a great time riding and sightseeing. Thanks for the show and tell. It looks as though the Like performed well,too!

Walk fast...look worried.
"If you can make a girl laugh, you can make her do anything"       Marilyn Monroe
Goldwing Aspencade GL1500
Burgman Executive 650
Majesty 400 x2
Morphous 250
EZMark
RCR
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2019, 09:18:37 PM »

And for the record, I never said a 150cc scooter couldn't ride through the mountains.

Hell, the Ruckus club invades Deal's gap every year on their 50cc's.
I said it couldn't go through the mountains at the speeds we would be riding.  

I'm planning on moving near Happy Valley when we retire and I'm probably going to have a couple of 150cc scooters to buzz through the Dragon since we'll only be 10 minutes away.
sirkitrider-2
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: 2011 Burgman 650,2012 Silverwing, Burgman 650, Burgman 400x2, Vulcan 750x4, Goldwing 1200'sx2, Honda Nighthawkx2, Honda Helix

Thank You
-Given: 5
-Receive: 46

Back in Babies' Arms

Email
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2019, 02:05:50 AM »

Wow, that's some nice curves.

And the roads were not bad either

Sirkitrider

John 3:16
klaviator
Scooter Junior Professor

Thank You

Email
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2019, 02:10:20 AM »

And for the record, I never said a 150cc scooter couldn't ride through the mountains.

Hell, the Ruckus club invades Deal's gap every year on their 50cc's.
I said it couldn't go through the mountains at the speeds we would be riding.  

I'm planning on moving near Happy Valley when we retire and I'm probably going to have a couple of 150cc scooters to buzz through the Dragon since we'll only be 10 minutes away.

We were running a bit slower than our pace last fall but still fast enough to have fun and faster than much of the other traffic out there.  The biggest issue with a small scooter is it's very hard to pass.  Much of the time I was on roads with little or no traffic so it wasn't that big of an issue.

When you move down and get those small scooters I'll come up and ride with you!
klaviator
Scooter Junior Professor

Thank You

Email
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2019, 02:17:11 AM »

I planned on sleeping in Thursday morning since I had no one to meet and no schedule to keep.

I was still up at the crack of dawn so since I was up anyway I went riding. I rode 315 down to Reliance. It's a great twisty road but I kept the speed down as I was worried about critters in the road this early. When I got to Reliance I took some pics. I really like how this next one came out.

I have photographed many of my bikes with this old building but I think this is the best one yet.

Then it was time for more twisty back roads on my was to a scenic view of the Hiwassee River.

It wasn't as scenic as I had hoped.

So I headed back to camp.

klaviator
Scooter Junior Professor

Thank You

Email
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2019, 03:02:05 AM »

When I got back to the campground I had a PB&J for breakfast.  It was still early and the grass was still wet with dew.  I wanted to get through Chattanooga before rush hour but I hate packing up a wet tent so I went for another ride.  I took off without any plan.  I headed into Tellico Plains where I got a few pics.

This is right off the Skyway by the intersection of 360.

Talk about weird...

Then I decided I wanted to ride some good curves.  Rafter road was right down the road and it's always been one of my favorites so that's where I rode.

The perfect bike for this road is a super moto but it was fun on the scooter.  Narrow, super curvy, mostly good pavement and NO traffic.

It eventually becomes a gravel road which goes to Indian Boundary.  I rode about a quarter mile in the gravel and turned around.

One nice thing about being on a small scooter is that's it's so easy to pull a U turn on even the tightest of roads.  In nearly all of the pics I took on this road I had pulled a U turn and was facing opposite the direct I was traveling.

And I took some pics while riding.

Then it was back to the campground with around 90 miles for the day.
EZMark
RCR
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2019, 05:41:45 AM »

I wish I could find time to meet you guys down there this year.
I don't know if Darwin will be allowed back to the Smokeys.
That crash was quite a disturbance for his family.
klaviator
Scooter Junior Professor

Thank You

Email
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2019, 12:29:44 PM »

I wish I could find time to meet you guys down there this year.
I don't know if Darwin will be allowed back to the Smokeys.
That crash was quite a disturbance for his family.

Steve and I are both retired so if you find some time to come down there is a good chance we can meet up with you. 

How is Darwin doing?  Is he back out riding again?  Maybe he should get a small scooter and slow down a bit.  A small scooter is still a lot of fun on twisty roads just a slightly slower speeds.  They feel like they are going faster than they are.
jdbrot
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Honda Reflex Sport ABS

Thank You
-Given: 18
-Receive: 132

« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2019, 12:58:36 PM »

Great photos and beautiful roads!
klaviator
Scooter Junior Professor

Thank You

Email
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2019, 02:29:38 PM »

It was great to get out and just ride for 4 days on some of the best roads in the country.

A few thoughts about this trip. First, the campground I stayed at.

This place is great! After tax it's around 12 bucks per night. That includes free coffee, some munchies for breakfast and firewood. The shower facilities are first rate and as good or better than any campground I have stayed at. It's not a motorcycle only campground but most of the people who stay there are riders.  If you're not into tent camping then they do have cabins.

The roads. Some day I need to get a Go Pro. My pictures just don't do justice to how curvy and fun to ride these roads are. The scenery is also fantastic. At least I was able to capture some of that in my pics.

So how did the Like 150i perform? It's not the bike most riders would choose for riding this area. Small scooters are designed for riding around in town. Overall it did great. I did two kinds of riding on this trip. The first and last days I went out riding by myself, exploring and taking a lot of pics. It's absolutely perfect for this kind of riding. It is so easy to stop, do a u turn if needed and position the bike for the picture. Getting off and on is so much easier than a motorcycle. I wasn't in a hurry but it was a lot of fun in the curves, the tighter the better. Pretty much any motorcycle except maybe something like a Grom/Z125 feels like a tank compared to the Like with its 12 inch wheels and around 270 pound weight. Riding it is completely effortless. The one place it comes up short is suspension and ride quality.

Another great thing about it is the storage space. Between under the seat, the 39L GIVI and the tail bag I mounted on the back part of the seat I have a ton of storage. This means that I can bundle up for the cold mornings and have plenty of space when the layers come off and I can carry extra gloves. I mounted the tail bag so I can carry my Sony camera someplace that's easily accessible. The GIVI and underseat storage require a key to open. I keep the tailbox mostly empty so I can store my helmet there when I stop. This is not that important if I am just going to ride all day but it is when I want to stop a walk around some.

Days 2 and 3 were all day fairly long rides and I was riding with people on bigger faster bikes. The Like did well. I was comfortable and it was fun to ride but it's not the ideal bike for that kind of ride. It was a little slow going up hills, especially steep hills with tight curves. If I slowed down for the curves it took a long time to regain speed. My Versys would have been better for these two days of riding. On the other hand if everyone else was also on a small scooter or Grom/Z125 type bike it would have been a blast!

So it wasn't ideal for those long rides but it still worked pretty well. I don't think Steve and Jerry were bored riding behind me even if they could have gone faster. I did have to get gas more often because of my smaller tank. It seems I often filled up at around 60 miles and got just under .75 gallons. Sure I had plenty of gas left but the next station was often around 60 miles down the road and I would be stretching it.

If you are wondering how I got all my gear to Tellico on my tiny scooter......it was easy.

It's about 185 miles from my house to CMTC. I can drive it in 3.5 hours via the interstate or if I rode the scooter I would have take back roads and it would take nearly twice as long. I would have spent the first and last days just getting there.

It would be real hard to carry my stuff on the Like. Since I had the truck I brought my new 10 x 9 x 6 ft tall tent and big air mattress. That sure made the camping more comfortable.

One nice thing about the Like is that it is way easier to load and unload from the truck compared to my bigger bikes.
freak
RCR
Scooter Senior

Thank You
-Given: 3
-Receive: 7

Email
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2019, 04:10:01 PM »

Great pics!  I will be down there on june 1st for a week , cant wait.  my 52nd time down there .

Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: The Fastest Ever Bet & Win 310cc ~ Tsunami 650cc ~ 09 TMax ~ 09 DN-01 ~ 17 Sypder RT-Limited

Thank You
-Given: 351
-Receive: 817

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2019, 06:19:07 PM »

Great pictures!!

It's a scooterful day in the neighborhood!
EZMark
RCR
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2019, 06:19:16 PM »

Steve and I are both retired so if you find some time to come down there is a good chance we can meet up with you. 

I don't think I'll have time this year, but I'll contact you for sure if anything changes.
EZMark
RCR
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2019, 06:29:39 PM »

Quote from: klaviator link=topic=9767.msg11622
How is Darwin doing?  Is he back out riding again?  Maybe he pe should get a small scooter and slow down a bit.

I've been riding with Darwin for 34 years. He's bought a number of bikes with the intent to slow himself down, but he just ends up riding way over the limits of the slow bikes, sliding both tires, throwing showers of sparks in the corners, that sort of thing.
I hoped the Tmax would be the answer. A whopping 45 horsepower to limit the speed but still with great handling, suspension and brakes.
That didn't work out either.
He's doing good though. Has a bit of a limp that I guess will permanent, but he's riding again and bought a used Harley for boring, flat Illinois riding. Still has the Tmax for the Missouri twisties.
klaviator
Scooter Junior Professor

Thank You

Email
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2019, 07:28:58 PM »

Good to hear that he's back out riding!
Dan
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 224
-Receive: 363

Rollin', Rollin', Rollin'

« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2019, 10:27:48 PM »

Just some top notch photos, so many excellent images to look at and nice stories too.

Although this shot makes it look like someone abandoned their little scoot in the woods.

I really like the Like, it's a fine looking machine.

Practicing Normite.
EZMark
RCR
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2019, 04:52:03 AM »

Turns out I have more vacation than I thought at my government job.
I can take off the first or second week of July if you guys want to ride again.
klaviator
Scooter Junior Professor

Thank You

Email
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2019, 12:19:39 AM »

Turns out I have more vacation than I thought at my government job.
I can take off the first or second week of July if you guys want to ride again.

I'll expect to be busy with my parents from late June through mid July.  Steve might be interested.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: