October 22, 2019, 10:33:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Four Day Tellico Plains Getaway  (Read 648 times)
klaviator
Scooter Junior Professor

Bikes Owned: Yamaha Majesty, Kymco Like 150i, Kawasaki Versys 650,

Thank You
-Given: 82
-Receive: 73

Email
« on: May 20, 2019, 02:29:38 PM »

It was great to get out and just ride for 4 days on some of the best roads in the country.

A few thoughts about this trip. First, the campground I stayed at.

This place is great! After tax it's around 12 bucks per night. That includes free coffee, some munchies for breakfast and firewood. The shower facilities are first rate and as good or better than any campground I have stayed at. It's not a motorcycle only campground but most of the people who stay there are riders.  If you're not into tent camping then they do have cabins.

The roads. Some day I need to get a Go Pro. My pictures just don't do justice to how curvy and fun to ride these roads are. The scenery is also fantastic. At least I was able to capture some of that in my pics.

So how did the Like 150i perform? It's not the bike most riders would choose for riding this area. Small scooters are designed for riding around in town. Overall it did great. I did two kinds of riding on this trip. The first and last days I went out riding by myself, exploring and taking a lot of pics. It's absolutely perfect for this kind of riding. It is so easy to stop, do a u turn if needed and position the bike for the picture. Getting off and on is so much easier than a motorcycle. I wasn't in a hurry but it was a lot of fun in the curves, the tighter the better. Pretty much any motorcycle except maybe something like a Grom/Z125 feels like a tank compared to the Like with its 12 inch wheels and around 270 pound weight. Riding it is completely effortless. The one place it comes up short is suspension and ride quality.

Another great thing about it is the storage space. Between under the seat, the 39L GIVI and the tail bag I mounted on the back part of the seat I have a ton of storage. This means that I can bundle up for the cold mornings and have plenty of space when the layers come off and I can carry extra gloves. I mounted the tail bag so I can carry my Sony camera someplace that's easily accessible. The GIVI and underseat storage require a key to open. I keep the tailbox mostly empty so I can store my helmet there when I stop. This is not that important if I am just going to ride all day but it is when I want to stop a walk around some.

Days 2 and 3 were all day fairly long rides and I was riding with people on bigger faster bikes. The Like did well. I was comfortable and it was fun to ride but it's not the ideal bike for that kind of ride. It was a little slow going up hills, especially steep hills with tight curves. If I slowed down for the curves it took a long time to regain speed. My Versys would have been better for these two days of riding. On the other hand if everyone else was also on a small scooter or Grom/Z125 type bike it would have been a blast!

So it wasn't ideal for those long rides but it still worked pretty well. I don't think Steve and Jerry were bored riding behind me even if they could have gone faster. I did have to get gas more often because of my smaller tank. It seems I often filled up at around 60 miles and got just under .75 gallons. Sure I had plenty of gas left but the next station was often around 60 miles down the road and I would be stretching it.

If you are wondering how I got all my gear to Tellico on my tiny scooter......it was easy.

It's about 185 miles from my house to CMTC. I can drive it in 3.5 hours via the interstate or if I rode the scooter I would have take back roads and it would take nearly twice as long. I would have spent the first and last days just getting there.

It would be real hard to carry my stuff on the Like. Since I had the truck I brought my new 10 x 9 x 6 ft tall tent and big air mattress. That sure made the camping more comfortable.

One nice thing about the Like is that it is way easier to load and unload from the truck compared to my bigger bikes.

I ride, therefore I am
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: