November 12, 2019, 05:03:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Horn Vs. Brake  (Read 154 times)
scooterwolf
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Kymco Yager GT 200i, Kymco Downtown 300i

Thank You
-Given: 19
-Receive: 27

Easy and Me

Email
« on: July 28, 2019, 06:18:06 PM »

One of the things I've trained myself to do is to cover my horn. I do this whenever I'm passing a car that has the potential of making an unexpected left turn in front of me, while I eye their front left wheel for any signs of a change in direction.

It's muscle memory for me at this point, and I'm actually surprised how quickly my thumb will react in hitting my horn in emergency situations. It's both saved and has gotten me out of a lot of close calls.

A few days ago a SUV cut into my lane on a four lane highway. I was in a center lane and they were in the cruising lane on the far right. It was during rush hour and the flow of traffic was about 60 mph. When the car swerved into my lane my thumb instantly hit my horn button followed my both my hands going for my brake levers. In the time this took the SUV swerved back into their lane on hearing my horn, allowing me to stop myself from grabbing my brakes in a full panic stop which could've had the potential of casing a lock up and low side crash.

The horn gave me the time I needed to access the situation and make the decision not to panic fully.

Does anyone else favor their horn to the point of it's a reflex, or have you had other experiences where the brakes are your first response, and done so in a controlled way?

- Wolf
Skutorr
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: 2009 Tmax 500, 2009 Majesty 400, 2007 Aprilia Mojito 150

Thank You
-Given: 5
-Receive: 41

2009 Tmax500 with OODLES of UPGRADES!

WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2019, 06:28:25 PM »

That's why I upgraded to a MUCH LOUDER horn....

2009 Tmax500 - Faster Yellow!
(Dr. Pulleys, HH sintered pads, Pilot Road 4 tires, GIVI AirFlo, shorty brake levers, Euro winkers, shortened OEM mirrors, custom tail tidy, MIVV exhaust, River Road luggage system, backrest extensions, adjustable LEXAN storage divider, LED storage light, power outlet)
scooterwolf
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Kymco Yager GT 200i, Kymco Downtown 300i

Thank You
-Given: 19
-Receive: 27

Easy and Me

Email
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2019, 08:31:43 PM »

Good choice.

- Wolf
Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Kymco AK550 & '12 Piaggio X10 (sold). & '08 SYM GTS (sold)

Thank You
-Given: 141
-Receive: 177

Kymco AK550

WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2019, 06:41:33 AM »

Over here?? It's better to be without brakes than the horn, it's the 1st lesson in the manual!

Although I ride with my fingers resting on the brake levers. Saves that split second getting them off the grips and up there.

__
Don
Cube
Scooter Senior

Bikes Owned: 2014 Forza 300, 2007 Silver Wing, 2018 PCX150, 2000 BMW R1100R

Thank You
-Given: 6
-Receive: 9

Email
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2019, 11:19:49 AM »

My fiancee got in trouble during her motorcycle class for covering the brake levers (which I had taught her to do as I've done it most of my riding career).  They never explained why they thought it was bad, however. 

I don't cover the horn unless there's an SUV close by.
Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Kymco AK550 & '12 Piaggio X10 (sold). & '08 SYM GTS (sold)

Thank You
-Given: 141
-Receive: 177

Kymco AK550

WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2019, 02:55:13 PM »

My fiancee got in trouble during her motorcycle class for covering the brake levers (which I had taught her to do as I've done it most of my riding career).  They never explained why they thought it was bad, however. 

I don't cover the horn unless there's an SUV close by.

Back in the day I failed the Illinois MC test because I didn't "put my feet down when crossing an iron bridge" and I didn't want anyone "holding onto the rider in front".
jdbrot
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Honda Reflex Sport ABS

Thank You
-Given: 21
-Receive: 141

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2019, 04:23:01 PM »

I cover the horn and brake near intersections. Years of commuting and clueless drivers. Use the horn more than the brakes.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: