May 23, 2019, 03:34:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: North Georgia Home  (Read 328 times)
redeye
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 119
-Receive: 183

Email
« on: May 06, 2019, 05:59:20 PM »

Much as I enjoy western North Carolina, but with our upcoming relocation to Georgia, perhaps a new thread should continue the thoughts of the old...

link:  Western North Carolina visit

We're moving to Georgia, and this isn't a 'visit' any more!

Are you going to have to take GFL* classes or do you think y'all are agonna be able to get by without them?

*Georgian as a Foreign Language

Mary has a gift for communicating with humans and other species, so the classes may not be needed, at least for her. On Saturday, she admired a feral, but quite friendly, cat in downtown Blue Ridge. The cat, responding to Mary's attention, immediately approached...

Like long lost friends, they enjoyed each others' company, and I wondered whether our family would unexpectedly grow...

However, the pleasant meeting ended as a thunderstorm approached and we all sought shelter.

My riding buddy Steve retired and bought a cabin outside of Blue Ridge.  You may have met him if you were at the meetup last year in Scottsboro.  NC is beautiful but Ga is better from a tax standpoint.

Unfortunately, I haven't attended a meetup in several years. You're exactly right about taxes. Although a lower tax environment was among our priorities, and a reason for looking beyond North Carolina, we quickly developed a preference for north Georgia.

Years of bad habits often masquerade as 'experience'
redeye
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2019, 06:13:57 PM »

With the May 23 settlement date and house completion fast approaching, we visited on Saturday as part of our preparations...

Less than six miles from the house is one of the boat ramps to Blue Ridge Lake. Although the ramp is far more than sufficient for our 9.5' kayaks, we are looking forward to many lake adventures...

Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Kymco AK550 & '12 Piaggio X10 (sold). & '08 SYM GTS (sold)

Thank You
-Given: 129
-Receive: 161

Kymco AK550

WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2019, 06:17:22 PM »

The house looks good and that lake has enough going for it that it should keep you interested for a few years.
Good luck, y'all.

__
Don
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: The Fastest Ever Bet & Win 310cc ~ Tsunami 650cc ~ 09 TMax ~ 09 DN-01 ~ 17 Sypder RT-Limited

Thank You
-Given: 324
-Receive: 801

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2019, 09:29:43 PM »

I've been watching on FB as well.  The house is simply gorgeous!  I can't wait to see your pictures form the decks!!  Congrats.

Nice looking cat :-)

It's a scooterful day in the neighborhood!
redeye
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2019, 03:04:49 AM »

Thanks, Maggie!
Pictures from the deck... just happens I took a few on Friday during a t-storm. :-)
These photos and captions are copies of the FB post...

>>>>>
On our Friday visit to the house which is still under construction, a brief but very loud thunderstorm passes through the area. Thunder impressively echoes between the ridges.

The first of three photos from the same location at the house shows the forested property.

The second of three photos from the same location at the house shows the main deck.

The third of three photos from the same location at the house shows the patio, which will be fully screened. The door on the left enters into the master bedroom, and the other into the great room.

With the thunderstorm getting closer, moving inside to the great room and kitchen becomes the better plan.

>>>>>
CelticCross
Scooter Grad Student

Bikes Owned: 2016 CanAm Spyder RTLtd

Thank You
-Given: 14
-Receive: 22

Email
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2019, 05:20:33 PM »

Very nice - it looks like a grown-upís tree house. How hard will it be to tear yourself away from the view and ride?

CelticCross
Greg
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 62
-Receive: 248

Don't sweat the small stuff...it's all small stuff

Email
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2019, 05:28:52 PM »

Wow!  Gorgeous place and setting.  I can see the attraction.

Greg
klaviator
Scooter Grad Student

Bikes Owned: Yamaha Majesty, Kymco Super 8 150, Kymco Like 150i, Kawasaki Versys 650, Kawasaki KLR650

Thank You
-Given: 72
-Receive: 64

Email
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2019, 12:34:38 AM »

Beautiful area.  I've been riding N. Georgia since 1990 and still get over that way a few times a year.  Have you checked out Two Wheels of Suches yet?

I ride, therefore I am
redeye
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2019, 01:59:07 PM »

Very nice - it looks like a grown-upís tree house. How hard will it be to tear yourself away from the view and ride?

One of my soon-to-be neighbors has the tree house look covered much better.

One detail may be difficult to see from the photo angle, but the patio deck and roof is built around a tree.

You're right about the view, though. Leaving the house after taking it in doesn't get easier.
jdbrot
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Honda Reflex Sport ABS

Thank You
-Given: 13
-Receive: 123

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2019, 03:41:27 PM »

Congratulations on the beautiful new home!
redeye
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2019, 04:20:57 PM »

Beautiful area.  I've been riding N. Georgia since 1990 and still get over that way a few times a year.  Have you checked out Two Wheels of Suches yet?

Noticed it is less than an hour away on Route 60 from Morganton, near Blue Ridge. Never there, but that road looks worth the ride.
redeye
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2019, 04:23:15 PM »

Wow!  Gorgeous place and setting.  I can see the attraction.

Congratulations on the beautiful new home!

Thanks very much. Two weeks until the scheduled closing date. So much to do until then!

klaviator
Scooter Grad Student

Bikes Owned: Yamaha Majesty, Kymco Super 8 150, Kymco Like 150i, Kawasaki Versys 650, Kawasaki KLR650

Thank You
-Given: 72
-Receive: 64

Email
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2019, 06:05:14 PM »

Beautiful area.  I've been riding N. Georgia since 1990 and still get over that way a few times a year.  Have you checked out Two Wheels of Suches yet?

Noticed it is less than an hour away on Route 60 from Morganton, near Blue Ridge. Never there, but that road looks worth the ride.

You have to go check it out.  First, 60 is a fantastic road.  Second, Two Wheels of Suches (formerly Two Wheels only) was a famous motorcycle destination long before the "dragon" became famous.  I have been going there since 1990.  It's still one of my favorite places.  They serve food on weekends and the parking lot is typically full of all kinds of bikes and you can meet people from all over the world there.  

This is the typical view around lunch time on weekends.

redeye
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2019, 12:35:12 AM »

You have to go check it out.  First, 60 is a fantastic road.  Second, Two Wheels of Suches (formerly Two Wheels only) was a famous motorcycle destination long before the "dragon" became famous.  I have been going there since 1990.  It's still one of my favorite places.  They serve food on weekends and the parking lot is typically full of all kinds of bikes and you can meet people from all over the world there.

Thanks for the information. This is now on my list of places to visit!

Yesterday: All systems are 'go' for interstellar interstate travel (on board the 'booster' vehicle)...

Today (borrowing a phrase from 50 years ago): The Morphous has landed.

And, after some preliminary exploration in Georgia, into rental storage for a while...

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: