December 16, 2019, 11:40:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yamaha Niken  (Read 308 times)
Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Kymco AK550 & '12 Piaggio X10 (sold). & '08 SYM GTS (sold)

Thank You
-Given: 142
-Receive: 179

Kymco AK550

WWW Email
« on: September 20, 2019, 06:49:59 AM »

This guy puts out some pretty good videos. He's taken on the Niken and the new trikes in general.

https://youtu.be/pLsKnCd3Dkg

__
Don
JBCrabbypants
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 4
-Receive: 94

Email
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2019, 06:33:06 AM »

The Rapid City Kaw/Yamaha dealer has been offering to have me ride his Niken for about a year now...so far, I have resisted, because.......well....I have no interest in it, and consider it a pointless vehicle that is an answer to a question nobody asked.

Some will love it, but that dealer hasn't sold one yet. 

Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Kymco AK550

WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2019, 04:39:55 PM »

The Rapid City Kaw/Yamaha dealer has been offering to have me ride his Niken for about a year now...so far, I have resisted, because.......well....I have no interest in it, and consider it a pointless vehicle that is an answer to a question nobody asked.

Some will love it, but that dealer hasn't sold one yet. 

Over here is was the "no motorcycle license needed" thing which had to be steeped in more Euros than any common sense.
Greg
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 65
-Receive: 259

Don't sweat the small stuff...it's all small stuff

Email
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2019, 07:03:13 PM »

I finally got that video to load up.  That is certainly an interesting motorcycle/trike/whatever.  Like JB said, it seems to be the answer to the question nobody asked.  Im honestly not sure how I feel about it, beyond being something Id never own or want to ride.  But then, that was never my style of riding anyway.  As far as that hideous two-wheel front end mod on the Gold Wing goes, who would do that!!   Id be too embarrassed to ride something like that.  The Nikken reminds me of the image of that person who suddenly had a bright idea, stops and holds up his finger, as if to bring it to the point of the idea, then forgets what the point or idea was.

Greg
redeye
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 138
-Receive: 192

Email
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2019, 02:34:41 PM »

From the then-new 847cc triple engine's introduction several years ago, Yamaha announced its intention to release a 'family' of motorcycles using the engine, starting with the FZ-09 (North America) or MT-09 (everywhere else). Except for the labels, they were largely the same, with some differences based on the local market.

After a few model years, Yamaha dropped the 'FZ' label, and the original naked motorcycle design became the MT-09 in all markets. In time, along came the FJ-09 and various Tracer models, all using the same engine. Many observers doubted Yamaha would bring the Niken to market. But the doubters were wrong.

I have owned an FZ-09 for almost six years, and this motorcycle is superbly suited to my riding preference. Although many riders point out the engine's power, I am most impressed with the standard, upright seating position. Sure, I like the engine power, too. :D  However, much as I still look forward to riding my FZ-09, none of the other Yamaha 'family' members mentioned previously in this post, including the Niken, hold any interest for me.

Years of bad habits often masquerade as 'experience'
Greg
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2019, 06:10:03 PM »

From the then-new 847cc triple engine's introduction several years ago, Yamaha announced its intention to release a 'family' of motorcycles using the engine, starting with the FZ-09 (North America) or MT-09 (everywhere else). Except for the labels, they were largely the same, with some differences based on the local market.

After a few model years, Yamaha dropped the 'FZ' label, and the original naked motorcycle design became the MT-09 in all markets. In time, along came the FJ-09 and various Tracer models, all using the same engine. Many observers doubted Yamaha would bring the Niken to market. But the doubters were wrong.

I have owned an FZ-09 for almost six years, and this motorcycle is superbly suited to my riding preference. Although many riders point out the engine's power, I am most impressed with the standard, upright seating position. Sure, I like the engine power, too. :D  However, much as I still look forward to riding my FZ-09, none of the other Yamaha 'family' members mentioned previously in this post, including the Niken, hold any interest for me.

I have to agree.  Not about the brand, but about the style and style of riding.  I think once one has settled into a preferred style of riding and the motorcycle that best fits it for them, nothing else really fits the bill adequately.  My style was touring and touring motorcycles.  The closest I came to changing my kind of riding was with the Vstrom, but eventually I turned into a very good touring bike, so nothing really changed.  If I were younger, as in a lot younger, I could be lured by a bike such as the FZ-09.  But I’m not, and I no longer ride.  But “it ain’t over ‘til it’s over,” as they say.
SilverBullet
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Pearl

Thank You
-Given: 394
-Receive: 199

Email
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2019, 10:37:05 PM »

I found this video to be boring, Hard to watch, With no excitement or enthusiasm. Hard to stay focused. If there were some excitement to this viewers might look at this cycle differently. Especially for riders looking for a two wheel alternative.
Then again it may just be a boring motorcycle?  
Not my cup o tea.

02 Gl 1800 GoldWing
89 Pacific Coast 800 
2012 Burgman 650 Burgman Trike
Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Kymco AK550

WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2019, 05:45:51 AM »

I found this video to be boring, Hard to watch, With no excitement or enthusiasm. Hard to stay focused. If there were some excitement to this viewers might look at this cycle differently. Especially for riders looking for a two wheel alternative.
Not my cup o tea.

Having watched several videos by this guy I could tell he was bored with the machinery he just tries to give an honest assessment of whatever product he's talking about.
Greg
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2019, 06:35:59 PM »

Not my cup o tea.

Having watched several videos by this guy I could tell he was bored with the machinery he just tries to give an honest assessment of whatever product he's talking about.

While trying to inject a bit of subltle humor into it.
EZMark
RCR
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 2
-Receive: 65

Email
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2019, 08:24:32 PM »

Sometimes it's fun to have a funky bike just to have people come up and say "what the hell is that?"
Greg
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2019, 05:47:58 AM »

Sometimes it's fun to have a funky bike just to have people come up and say "what the hell is that?"

Well, yeah, there is that.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: