September 19, 2019, 10:39:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Please Read Re Maxi Scoots Rally - New York  (Read 1384 times)
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: The Fastest Ever Bet & Win 310cc ~ Tsunami 650cc ~ 09 TMax ~ 09 DN-01 ~ 17 Sypder RT-Limited

Thank You
-Given: 351
-Receive: 820

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« on: April 22, 2019, 01:57:13 PM »

Pete had two strokes this week. Each has been "fairly" minor.  (it's not minor for him and nor for me to see happening)  The left side of his body was affected.  At the time of both strokes he loss vision, slurred speech, droopiness on left side of face, severe headache and loss of mobility on his left side.  At the time of writing he is still in the hospital, I hope coming home today.

After long discussions and counseling among friends and family, we’ve made the difficult decision to stop riding.  This decision will include me as well.  While Pete wants me to keep riding there is no way that’s happening.  We are partners and I simply will not go off on a ride while he sits at home and waits for me. 

What does this do to our NY plans, nothing… we will be in NY for the rally.  We want to see our friends and this is as much a part of the rally as riding is, if not more.

What you all need to decide is how you want rides handled.

Do you want me leading rides via a car?
Do one of you wish to lead the rides?
Do you all just want it to be a do your own thing and we gather at night?
Do you want to cancel your plans to come to NY?

I’m going to leave these decisions for you all to decide.

Pete and I both hate that our life decisions affect others but such is life.  Pete is already looking at convertibles (thanks Joan), we shall see is my position at the moment.

Regarding this forum, it will stay,  I consider most here friends before riding friends.

It's a scooterful day in the neighborhood!
Steve_YYZ
Scooter Junior Professor

Bikes Owned: 2014 Suzuki Burgman 650

Thank You
-Given: 77
-Receive: 43

Email
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2019, 01:43:23 PM »

Well here's my thoughts.....

First -- Get well Pete and work on your health. Everything else is secondary and we do understand. Note: No smoking the tires and "drifting" the convertible around the corners! 

Second -- I'll still be there assuming everyone else is still coming. Maggie just has to promise good food and no rain! 

Third -- I don't mind following a vehicle, or having a vehicle "sweep" while one of us leads.

Fourth -- I'll lead one of the rides (Covered Bridges) if everyone is agreeable and hopefully others step up to cover off the other rides.

Fifth -- Let's P-A-R-T-Y ! ! !
CelticCross
Scooter Grad Student

Bikes Owned: 2016 CanAm Spyder RTLtd

Thank You
-Given: 16
-Receive: 23

Email
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2019, 04:31:56 PM »

Plans for you and Pete to be in upstate NY this fall is a good sign. I hope he recovers quickly and fully.

CelticCross
jpowell692
Scooter Senior

Bikes Owned: 2007 Burgman 400, 2011 Burgman 400, 2016 Burgman 400. 2011 Burgman 650

Thank You
-Given: 0
-Receive: 18

468863.jpg

Email
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2019, 07:30:51 PM »

I'll be there to enjoy the friendships we have made and the  see a new part of the country.

The more the miles, the bigger the smiles.
Murf
Wind In My Hair, Bugs In My Teeth
Scooter Freshman

Bikes Owned: Honda 50, 90, 350, 750, VTX1300, SW600, BSA, Norton, BMW K100, Yamaha 175 Enduro and Vstar 1300, Harley 1945 Knuckle Head, VW trike I built.

Thank You
-Given: 2
-Receive: 17

Silver Surfer Rides Again

bemurphy22@msn.com
Email
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2019, 02:38:16 PM »

Maggie, sorry to hear about Pete.  Not sure yet if Ill make the rally but if I do Ill lead a ride.

Get Well Soon Brian

Never seen a day I cannot overcome with a smile.
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: The Fastest Ever Bet & Win 310cc ~ Tsunami 650cc ~ 09 TMax ~ 09 DN-01 ~ 17 Sypder RT-Limited

Thank You

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2019, 04:33:56 PM »

Pete's last surgery that should stop all this crazy healthy issues is scheduled for mid August.  The Doctor doesn't want him traveling.  So therefore we can't make it to New York.

Please please please, everyone still go!  You all know each other well enough there's no reason you can't go and have a great time.
jpowell692
Scooter Senior

Bikes Owned: 2007 Burgman 400, 2011 Burgman 400, 2016 Burgman 400. 2011 Burgman 650

Thank You

468863.jpg

Email
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2019, 11:38:57 PM »

My plans have not changed. Although it won't be the same without you and Pete. My hope is that his surgery is successful and we see both of you in 2020.
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2019, 03:43:59 AM »

My plans have not changed. Although it won't be the same without you and Pete. My hope is that his surgery is successful and we see both of you in 2020.

Me too, John.   Pete has been seriously looking at a Slingshot.... we shall see. I just want all these health issues behind us.
jpowell692
Scooter Senior

Thank You

468863.jpg

Email
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2019, 04:38:26 AM »

Health and family always comes first.
CelticCross
Scooter Grad Student

Thank You

Email
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2019, 08:00:04 PM »

Me too, John.   Pete has been seriously looking at a Slingshot.... we shall see. I just want all these health issues behind us.

I’ve looked at the Slingshot as well, but seriously don’t think that I could get into and out of these 3-wheel machines.
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2019, 08:30:39 PM »

I’ve looked at the Slingshot as well, but seriously don’t think that I could get into and out of these 3-wheel machines.

That's going to be the biggest issue.  Plus I hope they are made a tad better than some of the initial models.  I found them to be to plastic like.   
EZMark
RCR
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 2
-Receive: 64

Email
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2019, 01:58:28 AM »

https://gph.is/1MEAAAS
sonuvabug
Scooter Senior

Thank You
-Given: 14
-Receive: 9

Email
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2019, 03:53:26 PM »

I was at a used bike dealer recently and came across this unit that is made in Germany.  They definitely look interesting.

https://www.lensauto.ca/rewaco/

There are also a few dealers in the USA.

https://www.rewaco-usa.com/

Might be worth a look ... field trip? 

2016 Gray Suzuki Burgman 400 (herz) - 10,000 km.
2005 Titanium Honda Silver Wing (hiz) - 32,000 km.
2009 Wineberry Red Honda Silver Wing (hiz) - 5,000 km. (not yet plated)
CelticCross
Scooter Grad Student

Thank You

Email
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2019, 07:02:32 PM »

At $50K+ Canadian, the Rewaco is well outside my means.
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2019, 09:21:05 PM »

Not super attractive :-)
sonuvabug
Scooter Senior

Thank You

Email
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2019, 10:34:31 PM »

At $50K+ Canadian, the Rewaco is well outside my means.

Heck ... that's only US$38K

Not super attractive :-)

I tend to agree ... not my cup of tea.  Seeing them up close doesn't make them more appealing to me either.  Sort of reminded me of the "hot rods" we used to build out of 2x4's and stroller wheels as kids and push them around on the street with our broken off hockey sticks.  Oh well, just pointing out another option just in case.
Spyderist
RCR
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: '16 Can-am Spyder RT Limited SE-6, '08 Suzuki Burgman 400 w/Tow-Pac (better half's), '07 Honda Reflex Sport (also better half's)

Thank You
-Given: 10
-Receive: 42

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2019, 06:08:40 PM »

Sort of reminded me of the "hot rods" we used to build out of 2x4's and stroller wheels as kids

Sort of like this?  We started with "split" roller skates (fronts & backs separated) nailed to the underside of the 2x4 axles for wheels (drifting was WAY easy on those little steel wheels).  Then moved up to stroller wheels ... but those wire wheels were easily crushed when two rods "inadvertently" met (we lived on a hill and my driveway intersected about halfway down - see 2nd pic - lower right was the scene of interesting space-time continuum conflicts between competing rods).

The version in this pic has power mower wheels (sadly the carburetor was just for show).   The flag on the rear was a parental requirement as the hill teed into a curving road at the bottom (with a 3' deep drainage ditch on the opposite side).  The flag gave them (likely false) hope that approaching traffic would see us screaming down the hill.  Fortunately we were in a small, two road neighborhood that looped back on itself so there were no cut through streets - so, little traffic, and no car vs hot rod incidents.

I was 12 when this was assembled, being one of two "builders" in the neighborhood.  This was likely the result of having access to (and permission to use) my dad's table saw (wasn't actually on a table, it sat on the ground and I kneeled to use it).  'Twas a different time - and yet we survived (well, I did).

PS - That '57 Plymouth Belvedere coupe in the carport later became my first car.

Spyderist, formerly known as ZURG

If You Don't Ride, You Don't Know
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4mU8ZqMZPU
sonuvabug
Scooter Senior

Thank You

Email
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2019, 06:35:23 PM »

Thanks for posting those memories and pics up (love 'em).  What "inadvertently" are you referring to ... we used to hold demolition derby's and day's of hard work were sometimes reduce to rubble in a matter of a minute.  You are absolutely right about the big spoked wheels ... great to win "drag" races with, kiss of death in the demo derby's.  

BTW - it appears all vacation time requests are now approved so Karin and I will be in NY.  See y'all there.

Sort of reminded me of the "hot rods" we used to build out of 2x4's and stroller wheels as kids

Sort of like this?  We started with "split" roller skates (fronts & backs separated) nailed to the underside of the 2x4 axles for wheels (drifting was WAY easy on those little steel wheels).  Then moved up to stroller wheels ... but those wire wheels were easily crushed when two rods "inadvertently" met (we lived on a hill and my driveway intersected about halfway down - see 2nd pic - lower right was the scene of interesting space-time continuum conflicts between competing rods).

The version in this pic has power mower wheels (sadly the carburetor was just for show).   The flag on the rear was a parental requirement as the hill teed into a curving road at the bottom (with a 3' deep drainage ditch on the opposite side).  The flag gave them (likely false) hope that approaching traffic would see us screaming down the hill.  Fortunately we were in a small, two road neighborhood that looped back on itself so there were no cut through streets - so, little traffic, and no car vs hot rod incidents.

I was 12 when this was assembled, being one of two "builders" in the neighborhood.  This was likely the result of having access to (and permission to use) my dad's table saw (wasn't actually on a table, it sat on the ground and I kneeled to use it).  'Twas a different time - and yet we survived (well, I did).

PS - That '57 Plymouth Belvedere coupe in the carport later became my first car.

Steve_YYZ
Scooter Junior Professor

Bikes Owned: 2014 Suzuki Burgman 650

Thank You
-Given: 77
-Receive: 43

Email
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2019, 09:13:30 PM »

When I was a kid, we lived several miles from a company that made grocery store shopping carts. So we'd head over there and "scrounge" some of those wheels and then just drive a spike thru as an axle into the end of a 2x4. Nothing beats good ball bearing wheels for speed!
minimac
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 52
-Receive: 106

Email
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2019, 03:15:28 AM »

.... 'Twas a different time - and yet we survived (well, I did).

Sort of like 'Christine'?

Walk fast...look worried.
"If you can make a girl laugh, you can make her do anything"       Marilyn Monroe
Goldwing Aspencade GL1500
Burgman Executive 650
Majesty 400 x2
Morphous 250
Spyderist
RCR
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: '16 Can-am Spyder RT Limited SE-6, '08 Suzuki Burgman 400 w/Tow-Pac (better half's), '07 Honda Reflex Sport (also better half's)

Thank You

« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2019, 04:50:24 PM »

Sort of ... Christine was a '58, but ours had a lower front grille from a '58 - the result of being "front ended" by a drunk who'd stopped in the road, and proceeded to back into us as we waited to get around him ... so maybe somehow related to Christine.
sonuvabug
Scooter Senior

Thank You

Email
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2019, 07:24:42 PM »

Sort of ... Christine was a '58, but ours had a lower front grille from a '58 - the result of being "front ended" by a drunk who'd stopped in the road, and proceeded to back into us as we waited to get around him ... so maybe somehow related to Christine.

Not sorta ... that's sounds EXACTLY like Christine.  In her formative stage of course.
Spyderist
RCR
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2019, 01:17:27 AM »

What "inadvertently" are you referring to ...

The kind of "inadvertently" that (truth must be told - or at least implied) must appear in quotes.

Actually my recollection of various experiments had me starting at the top of my driveway and one of the other indestructible guys on the block starting at various levels of the hill to see how close we could come at the intersection without actually meeting.  Occasionally our calculations proved somewhat imprecise, much to our dismay (and delight).  That my ride had large bumpers was not an accident.  I do recall having bent another's (Radio Flyer) wagon wheel nearly 90 degrees just below the axle upon a side impact thereto.

As is the case with most kids, we had no idea of the horrific physical damage we could've done to one another had things gone badly.
Spyderist
RCR
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2019, 02:17:50 AM »

BTW - it appears all vacation time requests are now approved so Karin and I will be in NY.  See y'all there.

Unfortunately, we won't make it.  Our oldest grandson's high school always has had a Grandparents' Day mass the second Sunday of September (duh, on Grandparents' Day - actually the 1st Sunday after our Labor Day).  We made it his freshman year but missed the last two because we were at rallies.  I suspect Maggie moved this year's rally to end the third Sunday at least partially because she knew this.  And then I'll be damned if the school didn't move the grandparent's mass this year, his senior year, to the third Sunday (not on Grandparents' Day).  So we'd seriously planned to leave the rally very early Saturday morning and either drive 1000+ miles (trailering) to St Louis or 750 miles (trailering) to Louisville and then 300 miles to St Louis in order to make mass by 9 Sunday morning.  The more we thought about it, the more it didn't seem like such a great idea.  Leaving on Friday would cut our rally time to just two days, and really didn't fix the "worn out" factor all that much (getting older has its downsides) because we'd still be traveling, not home, thereafter.  It came to be more of something I didn't want to think about than something I was looking forward to (the getting back part - but getting back is part & parcel of the rally) and it finally struck me it was just silly to continue trying to ignore the obvious - so we punted.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: