August 20, 2019, 09:10:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AK550 Pro & Con  (Read 457 times)
Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Kymco AK550 & '12 Piaggio X10 (sold). & '08 SYM GTS (sold)

Thank You
-Given: 138
-Receive: 165

Kymco AK550

WWW Email
« on: April 19, 2019, 03:30:11 PM »

I'm starting this list mostly for me but if/when y'all get a shot at this ride it may come in handy.
This is a work in progress.

Pro
* Noodoe has some neat features, best of which is the GPS map & Gas, Service, & Convenience store.
* I like the mirrors, they're straight glass "Items in the mirror aren't distorted!"
* I love the hand brake! Just under the left bar & off with a flick of the thumb.
* Comfortable seat.
* Good instrumentation.

Con
* Most of the Noodoe is more gimmick than anything else. Clock, temp, & analog speedometer could have been incorporated on the regular dash.
* The mirrors are great for passing but don't, really, show me what's crawling up my butt!
* Break not incorporated with the side stand.
* The oil filter is buried behind tupperware and a metal shield that, almost, makes it mandatory for pro service.
* Lack of wind protection for the lower body & legs.
* Fuel gage close to useless. Redlines at 10l of a 4.5l tank.

__
Don
Skutorr
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: 2009 Tmax 500, 2009 Majesty 400, 2007 Aprilia Mojito 150

Thank You
-Given: 4
-Receive: 41

2009 Tmax500 with OODLES of UPGRADES!

WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2019, 08:10:18 PM »

??? Do you mean ignition kill with the stand in the down position?

2009 Tmax500 - Faster Yellow!
(Dr. Pulleys, HH sintered pads, Pilot Road 4 tires, GIVI AirFlo, shorty brake levers, Euro winkers, shortened OEM mirrors, custom tail tidy, MIVV exhaust, River Road luggage system, backrest extensions, adjustable LEXAN storage divider, LED storage light, power outlet)
jdbrot
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Honda Reflex Sport ABS

Thank You
-Given: 18
-Receive: 132

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2019, 09:29:11 PM »

Some bikes have the parking brake engaged when the kickstand is down. A pretty good idea but not common over here. Good to know about the maintenance access, makes me appreciate the easy access to oil and plug on the Reflex.
Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Kymco AK550

WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2019, 06:20:04 AM »

??? Do you mean ignition kill with the stand in the down position?

No, that's there but my SYM and X10 both activated the (a) back brake too. Quite handy.
Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Kymco AK550

WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2019, 06:25:16 AM »

Some bikes have the parking brake engaged when the kickstand is down. A pretty good idea but not common over here. Good to know about the maintenance access, makes me appreciate the easy access to oil and plug on the Reflex.

The drain plugs (there's 2?) and the access hole are very accessible but the filter is buried DEEP DEEP DEEP!
There is a filter screen in the drain so I'm looking into the composition of the filter. If it's not paper then it's not going to need changing every 5,000k (3,000 miles) which I think is AT LEAST way too soon for today's oils anyhow. 10 or even 15,000 miles would be more like it.
jdbrot
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2019, 02:35:55 PM »

The Reflex only has a screen which works very well. Had 2 specks when changed at break-in and been clean ever since. Probably right about your filter once you pass break-in which may be why Kymco made everything else more accessible. Sadly the only local dealer quit carrying them a couple of years ago. Locally just Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha to choose from since the Vespa, Piaggio, Sym dealer left the business. I guess the BMW dealer still carries them but they are not kept stock. Wish we had more to choose from since Europe seems to get some really great scooters we will never see.
Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Kymco AK550

WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2019, 05:49:43 PM »

Well, last weekend I was out tearing up the asphalt when my key electronic slipped out of my pocket and I didn't notice it until I got home.

Of all the info on that dash board (and it's a whole lot!) I never got any notice about the key going bye-bye.

Today I went to the dealer to get a replacement..........€705 ($790) because they NEED to change out the whole system and give me 2 new keys.

FOR SALE 2019 Kymco AK550!
jdbrot
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2019, 06:30:19 PM »

Ouch.
Skutorr
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: 2009 Tmax 500, 2009 Majesty 400, 2007 Aprilia Mojito 150

Thank You
-Given: 4
-Receive: 41

2009 Tmax500 with OODLES of UPGRADES!

WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2019, 12:03:20 AM »

Ah, but I just was browsing the KYMCO Espana website and found out that the AK550 engine/transmission assembly is actually unlike every other maxi out there: it is made in two distinct modular halves, which is much more compact, shortens the CV belt length, maximizes thermodynamic efficiency and separation, minimizes power loss and reduces internal pressure.

KYMCO has more than 45 new patents in the AK 550, mostly in the motor. The precision level of manufacturing is such that NO adjustment washers are used anywhere in the motor; it's all spot on.

BMW has the FlexCase and dozens of design failures, recalls and just shoddy manufacturing...

The difference? Taiwan Quality vs Mainland China Economics...

Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Kymco AK550

WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2019, 06:07:37 AM »

No doubt the AK is a serious piece of machinery but, finally, I'm realizing a trend here with Kymco than I really don't like. All this advanced tech and it didn't tell me about an expensive key going missing?? There's a Honda 125 that does that and it hasn't near as impressive a dashboard! Then there's other after market prices that, now, don't make sense except in an attempt to gouge the customer!

There's a little plastic separator for the storage compartment under the seat. €65 when I got the same thing for €8.5 from China. €105 windshield from Givi €165 for the EXACT same thing from Kymco and the list goes on.

There's no reason in the world that the onboard computer shouldn't have been screaming at me about the key going missing and €705 to replace the whole unit is just asinine. I don't like doing business with companies that treat their customers like this.

We're seeking a different solution, it is an RFI chip after all so, we'll see what the future holds but, as it stands, a Maxi-SYM 600 is starting to look good.

jdbrot
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2019, 01:16:57 PM »

One of the things I looked for when I bought my Honda CTX was a key rather than a fob for this very reason. 4 dollar keys. That is just ridiculous that Kymco has no other solution.
EZMark
RCR
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 2
-Receive: 64

Email
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2019, 03:06:30 PM »

My 2015 Tmax has a key fob also.
It's the overpriced answer to the question nobody asked.
redeye
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 128
-Receive: 185

Email
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2019, 09:59:21 PM »

The oil filter access is definitely a negative for me. You mentioned 'almost' mandatory for pro service, perhaps a ray of light in the context of many maxi-scoots with easily accessible filters. $790 to replace a lost key... that hurts to read.

Years of bad habits often masquerade as 'experience'
Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Kymco AK550

WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2019, 07:06:59 AM »

The oil filter access is definitely a negative for me. You mentioned 'almost' mandatory for pro service, perhaps a ray of light in the context of many maxi-scoots with easily accessible filters. $790 to replace a lost key... that hurts to read.

Yea, if you don't have a lift I'd venture that removing all the tupperware and shielding would belong in the realm of contortionists or The Little People. An almost guarantee by Kymco to keep the cash flowing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: