June 19, 2019, 07:39:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New (old) question 2005 Silverwing  (Read 435 times)
Righteous_Brother
Scooter Freshman

Bikes Owned: 2005 Silverwing

Thank You
-Given: 1
-Receive: 0

Email
« on: April 12, 2019, 09:38:23 PM »

Howdy all.  I joined last fall but just surfed and read for the most part.  I picked up a 05 Silverwing last fall.  20K miles.  The previous owner did most of his own maiktenance and supplied receipts and a maintenance log when I purchased it.  So now, I have a few questions because I just don't know what is a "normal" thing versus something that makes a mechanic pass out when you tell him.  Or somewhere in between.

So riding around this spring, I am noticing a howling type sound around 35mph.  coming from right under my seat.  I know there is a drive belt and this is something that I would equate to that type of sound, but the belt light is not on.  Could the belt be worn/wearing?  There is no mention of drive belt replacement in the logs.  I am thinking he would have replaced it at least once in 14 years, but there is no mention of it.

Second, it seems like when I hit a bump or small pot hole, the feeling is very harsh at the handlebars. Feels to me like when front struts are weak, but there is no leakage from the front tubes.  How long do these "typically last?

Thanks for your advice.

RB
jdbrot
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Honda Reflex Sport ABS

Thank You
-Given: 17
-Receive: 126

« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2019, 09:50:34 PM »

Change the belt. Check tires for the listed on the sidewall. If over 5 years replace them. Also check the cvt rollers and clutch. If it is not listed it probably was not done so err on the safe side. Broken belts and flat tires will ruin your day.
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: The Fastest Ever Bet & Win 310cc ~ Tsunami 650cc ~ 09 TMax ~ 09 DN-01 ~ 17 Sypder RT-Limited

Thank You
-Given: 325
-Receive: 811

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2019, 01:27:33 AM »

What Joan said, I would worry most about dry rot on the belt and the tires

Does the maintenance log show the rollers being changed? The rollers and clutch might just be dusty, that is normally a whining sound when they are super dusty(dirty)

It's a scooterful day in the neighborhood!
Righteous_Brother
Scooter Freshman

Thank You

Email
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2019, 02:04:55 AM »

Nope, no record of changing the rollers/clutch.  At 20K miles it may be a bit premature on those anyway, no?
jdbrot
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2019, 02:10:24 AM »

The clutch and rollers should be checked when the cvt belt is changed and the drive faces cleaned. The clutch and rollers may not need replacement but this is the time to check. Also change the final drive lubricant. Probably dust but that belt is suspect. It is easy to reset the belt light and it does not require the belt to be changed before resetting. Therefore it is not necessarily an indication that the belt is good.
redeye
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 126
-Receive: 183

Email
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2019, 02:32:55 AM »

Also change the final drive lubricant.

If the Silverwing was mine, this would first on my list.

Years of bad habits often masquerade as 'experience'
Righteous_Brother
Scooter Freshman

Thank You

Email
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2019, 04:25:47 AM »

Thanks for the advice.  I'll get the belt ordered and then plan a weekend to go through it all.  Doesn't seem like rocket surgery, but sounds like it will take some time to do it all.  RB
SilverBullet
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Pearl

Thank You
-Given: 389
-Receive: 196

Email
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2019, 05:17:44 AM »

Nope, no record of changing the rollers/clutch.  At 20K miles it may be a bit premature on those anyway, no?

In this case age would be the primary reason to change the belt. Also that harsh feeling you feel may just be because of the small wheels & small front suspension (compared to a motorcycle) if there is any fork oil on these to change I would look into doing that also. My Burgmans were rough riding compared to the motorcycles I own today & got sold because I needed to thin the herd. The Burgman was the roughest rider in the fleet.
Welcome! I'm in Wausau.

02 Gl 1800 GoldWing
89 Pacific Coast 800 
2012 Burgman 650 Burgman Trike
Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Kymco AK550 & '12 Piaggio X10 (sold). & '08 SYM GTS (sold)

Thank You
-Given: 133
-Receive: 162

Kymco AK550

WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2019, 06:51:09 AM »

While you're into the clutch anyhow I'd say change out the rollers. The set shouldn't cost more than an hour's labor.

__
Don
redeye
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 126
-Receive: 183

Email
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2019, 04:23:16 PM »

Not sure if you have seen this thread in our 'Honda' section, but worth noting for anyone with a Silverwing...

link:  Silver Wing Maintenance PDF Help Files

This thread was very helpful during my Silverwing ownership, with post after post of great information.
Clampett
Uncle Jed
Administrator
Scooter Junior Professor

Bikes Owned: 29 - Mini bikes to Gold Wings.

Thank You
-Given: 93
-Receive: 80

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2019, 05:57:18 AM »

Lots of good info in the responses. As to the question of the belt light on the dash, it comes on at 17k miles as a reminder to change the belt. With the key in the off position, hold both buttons on the dash and turn on the key to reset the count down to the next 17k miles as soon as the belt is changed.

The links above are very informative (per redeye). There are many videos on youtube that show different camera angles or explanations that provide clarity for some.

As a fellow Swing owner, I'm cheering you on to get it in tip top shape. The Swing isn't top dog in performance, but it is a joy to tour on (imho).

--
Larry  
My Maps
Righteous_Brother
Scooter Freshman

Thank You

Email
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2019, 06:07:22 AM »

On Redeye's post above, there was a PDF titled "Dennis's GPS Mount for the Reflex and Silver Wing".  Do you know if this is still available somewhere?  I currently have my GPS mounded atop the left brake reservoir.  But if it was low center, it would match up better to my bifocals   If not, it's a pretty nice idea and I can just fabricate something similar.
Clampett
Uncle Jed
Administrator
Scooter Junior Professor

Bikes Owned: 29 - Mini bikes to Gold Wings.

Thank You
-Given: 93
-Receive: 80

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2019, 03:54:26 PM »

Dennis is out of the accessory business. He had some good stuff.

I just use a Ram mount ball that mounts with a screw on the handle bar covers.
Righteous_Brother
Scooter Freshman

Thank You

Email
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2019, 02:53:08 AM »

Also, is there a big difference between the $140 Honda drive belt and the $40 Aramid (kevlar) fiber belts on eBay?  Dimensionally, they are the same specs as the OEM Honda part #23100-MCT-003.
jdbrot
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2019, 04:15:39 AM »

Do not buy the aftermarket belt. Many owners have tried them and had rapid failures. Save your time and labor and use the Honda belt. Both the Reflex and Silverwings don't like any belt but Honda, and yeah they cost a lot more.
sailingskier
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: '05 Honda Silver Wing, ABS

Thank You
-Given: 114
-Receive: 65

« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2019, 01:10:05 PM »

Righteous_Brother,

If the howling noise is what I think it is, a quick and easy remedy is to firmly hold the rear brake and rev up the engine for a few seconds.  (Maybe not the mechanic's choice but quick & easy and no wrenches involved.)The housing becomes glazed over time and this process burns off the glaze. You will smell the burning.  You may noticed the noise associated with this glazing when starting off gently rather than if aggressively getting on the road.  Another source of great Silverwing information is found in the pictorials by Jeff-R on https://www.silverwing600.com/. If you have not checked out this site yet, you will be glad when you do.  It is a great site for Silverwing owners.

Mike
kpinvt
Scooter Freshman

Thank You
-Given: 8

Email
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2019, 01:31:02 AM »

On the 2003 Silver Wing I had at about 35,000 miles on the ODO the bike had a notchiness in the bars when turning them side to side at a stop and a thumping noise when pulling away from a stop. It felt like I had just driven over a stone on the pavement. The service people at my then local Honda shop said the steering head needed to be tightened. They didn't have the right size socket on hand and had to order one, 35mm IIRC. 

Former VP BMW Motorcycle Owners of Vermont, best club going IMHO.
2000 Suzuki SV650, 1985 Kawasaki 454LTD, 2003 Honda Silver Wing (Saddle Sore 1000 bike), 2009 BMW G650GS, 1995 Honda Pacific Coast 800, 2014 Honda NC700XD.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: