May 23, 2019, 03:03:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Scoot'n around middle Tennessee.  (Read 372 times)
klaviator
Scooter Grad Student

Bikes Owned: Yamaha Majesty, Kymco Super 8 150, Kymco Like 150i, Kawasaki Versys 650, Kawasaki KLR650

Thank You
-Given: 72
-Receive: 64

Email
« on: April 05, 2019, 02:26:05 AM »

Now that I have discovered that middle Tennessee has a lot of great riding I keep going back and exploring.  I had the chance to do that again yesterday.  My goal was to try to figure out a good route for a group street ride, do some exploring and take some pictures to show what a fun and scenic area it is to ride.

My last few ride into TN have been on my KLR.  With it's long travel dual sport suspension it soaks up all those rough roads that a rider on a streetbike would not like.  So I took my Like150i scooter.  If I can ride it with little 12" wheels riders on full size bikes shouldn't complain.

I normally start my TN rides in Taft but I think Ardmore would make a better meeting place so I started out by riding to Ardmore.  I filled up my tank there since the Like only has a 1.8 gal tank.  I had a route planned from Ardmore to Delina but it didn't take long to get "lost". I know, technically I wasn't lost because I had gas in the tank.  I ended up on some nice roads while "lost".

After backtracking a few times I found my way back to my planned route.  I wanted to ride some of the steep hills and hairpins we did last time without riding any gravel.  I managed to do that but some sections of pavement were rougher than the average gravel road. 

I was actually riding down the road in the last pic.  One advantage of a small scooter is that I can pull a U turn anywhere, even in the middle of a steep hairpin.  That makes it much easier to stop and take pics

I ride, therefore I am
Virginian
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: '19 Husqvarna Svartpilen, '14 Vespa 946, '14 HD Wide Glide

Thank You
-Given: 189
-Receive: 70

Email
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2019, 02:29:50 AM »

Show up on time, do your best and don't grumble about the outcome.
klaviator
Scooter Grad Student

Bikes Owned: Yamaha Majesty, Kymco Super 8 150, Kymco Like 150i, Kawasaki Versys 650, Kawasaki KLR650

Thank You

Email
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2019, 02:32:45 AM »

I tried a new route to Delina from 64.  It looked good on google maps but unfortunately it had a couple of short sections of gravel road. The gravel was actually smoother than many of the paved roads but I know that gravel is a no go for many street riders.

It was a scenic ride.

I had lunch at the Old Delina Stor.  I took a couple of pics of the back room.

A couple of riders showed up while I was eating.

A rider rode up on a RE Himalyan.  I thought it might be a friend but it wasn't.  It turns out this guy bought this bike a couple of weeks ago at Allsport and I even saw the pic on Allsports FB page.  It's a small world.

I got this pic from the parking lot.

klaviator
Scooter Grad Student

Thank You

Email
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2019, 02:38:16 AM »

I headed towards Lewisburg. It didn't take me long to get off on some back roads. OK, all the roads around here are back roads but I'm talking about the chip and seal, lane and a half wide, no centerline roads.

Another small bridge over a stream.

I found this road my last time here but coming the other way.

klaviator
Scooter Grad Student

Thank You

Email
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2019, 02:41:07 AM »

With a 1.8 Gallon tank and only 70 MPG I would need gas to finish my ride so I rode into Lewisburg.  Since i was on a scooter which is designed for riding around town, not what I'm doing with it, I decided to explore the town a little.  I got off the main drag and away from all the fast food places.  I figured like pretty much all old Southern towns there would be a town square with a courthouse.

Just on the edge of downtown.

I got gas before leaving town.  1.1 gallons to go 95 miles.  That's 86 MPG  :D  I consistently get 70 MPG but i guess slowing down a bit and not constantly stopping at lights really helps.
klaviator
Scooter Grad Student

Thank You

Email
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2019, 03:08:31 AM »

I headed south on 272 out of Lewisburg but soon turned off and went exploring.

I love these little narrow roads.  They have NO traffic on them.

I love the spring colors around here, they a nearly as good as the fall colors.

I ended up riding 236 miles for the day.  Not bad for a little 150cc scooter.  My butt was a little sore but I could see myself riding 300 miles days on this scooter.  I prefer shorter days like this and being able to stop and take pics and explore when something looks interesting.  I'll be heading back into TN when I get the chance.
jdbrot
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Honda Reflex Sport ABS

Thank You
-Given: 13
-Receive: 123

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2019, 12:24:01 PM »

Nice, like that photo of the old schoolhouse.
minimac
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 52
-Receive: 105

Email
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2019, 03:51:45 PM »

Looks like you stop as much as you ride! Just pulling your leg. I can't believe your trees are blossoming already. They were still green when I got snow here last year, and the last of my snow just disappeared-but our trees will be naked for at least another 2-3 weeks. Nice pics!

Walk fast...look worried.
"If you can make a girl laugh, you can make her do anything"       Marilyn Monroe
Goldwing Aspencade GL1500
Burgman Executive 650
Majesty 400 x2
Morphous 250
klaviator
Scooter Grad Student

Thank You

Email
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2019, 04:14:50 PM »

Looks like you stop as much as you ride!

I do stop a lot when I'm by myself and don't have someplace I have to be.  When I was younger my typical day rides were 300-700 miles of intense riding.  Now I'm more relaxed, I like to enjoy the views and photography has become a hobby.  I think I took close to a hundred pics that day but of course I never post all of the pics I take. 
CelticCross
Scooter Grad Student

Bikes Owned: 2016 CanAm Spyder RTLtd

Thank You
-Given: 14
-Receive: 22

Email
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2019, 12:26:21 AM »

I don’t know whether your area of the country is truly more scenic than where I live, but your artistic talent with a camera sure makes it appear to be so. Thanks for sharing your photos.

CelticCross
sirkitrider-2
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: 2012 Silverwing, Burgman 650, Burgman 400x2, Vulcan 750x4, Goldwing 1200'sx2, Honda Nighthawkx2, Honda Helix

Thank You
-Given: 5
-Receive: 45

Just a Swangin

Email
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2019, 02:42:18 AM »

I'm in Middle TN … well east Middle TN.  Those pics are way greener than we are … but they are 75-100 miles south and west  of us.  Looks like fine riding and great pics.

Sirkitrider

John 3:16
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: The Fastest Ever Bet & Win 310cc ~ Tsunami 650cc ~ 09 TMax ~ 09 DN-01 ~ 17 Sypder RT-Limited

Thank You
-Given: 324
-Receive: 801

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2019, 01:49:59 AM »

Looks like some fine riding!

It's a scooterful day in the neighborhood!
klaviator
Scooter Grad Student

Thank You

Email
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2019, 04:02:52 AM »

I donít know whether your area of the country is truly more scenic than where I live, but your artistic talent with a camera sure makes it appear to be so. Thanks for sharing your photos.

Thanks for the compliment.  For a long time I would take pictures of great places I rode but my pictures never captured how scenic those places where.  Now I feel that I am starting to truly capture the scenery.  I don't have high end cameras.  I just take a lot of pictures and all that practice is starting to pay off.

Minimac joked that I stop more than I ride.  He's not that far off base.  On this ride I stopped a lot, pulled a lot of U turns to go back to get a pic and sometimes climbed around a lot to get just the right angle for the shot.  I guess that I just really love to ride and I'm trying to capture that in my pictures.
klaviator
Scooter Grad Student

Thank You

Email
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2019, 07:06:53 PM »

I made it back to middle Tennessee yesterday.  I was joined by Rick on his BV350.  It was a nice day and very scenic but the haze and partly cloudy conditions were not ideal for picture taking.  We still took some.

Historic Church in Delrose, Tn:

We stayed on the pavement for this ride but some of the roads were rough chip & seal.

Birds feasting on road kill were a common sight on this ride. I had my camera ready this time.

They normally waited until the last second to abandon their feasts. Having hit large birds a couple of times in the past i slowed down and still came pretty close to the birds a few times.

klaviator
Scooter Grad Student

Thank You

Email
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2019, 07:38:13 PM »

We stopped by the old Delina Country Stor but that wasn't our plan for lunch.  We just stopped and took some pics.

I don't know why this truck was in the middle of this field but it did look like it had been there for a while.

Our lunch destination, Soda Pop Junction in Lynville, Tn.

I had heard about this place but never managed to make it to any of the rides that went here. Like the Old Delina Country Stor this place has plenty of character inside.

I wonder if they serve Coke here?

Some pics outside.

Virginian
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: '19 Husqvarna Svartpilen, '14 Vespa 946, '14 HD Wide Glide

Thank You
-Given: 189
-Receive: 70

Email
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2019, 11:55:21 PM »

Great pics!
klaviator
Scooter Grad Student

Thank You

Email
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2019, 10:15:22 PM »

I almost forgot to finish off this last ride.  Here goes.

After lunch we rode some more.

Then, just like that Rick's Scooter just quit running. Luckily it was at the top of a hill so he was able to coast most of the way to a safe spot. We checked to see if the spark plug cap fell off but weren't prepared for any extensive trouble shooting. It cranked but just wouldn't start. Rick called his insurance company to get a tow.

They set up a tow and would cover getting his scooter all the way back to Huntsville from our position just south of Lewisburg. We hung out and talked until the tow truck arrived. It took quite a while because the truck came from Pulaski and the driver did get a little lost trying to find us. Luckily it was a nice day and not hot once we moved to a shady spot.

klaviator
Scooter Grad Student

Thank You

Email
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2019, 10:18:57 PM »

Once Rick's scooter was loaded I headed back towards home. There was still some nice riding to do.

Every time I see a bunch of cows around here I think of the California happy cows commercials.

The next pic came out a bit blurry since I was approaching ludicrous speed!

I made it home with 242 miles on the tripmeter. I was ready to get off the scooter when I got home but was comfortable most of the ride. The 12" wheels and stiff suspension was not ideal on some of the rougher roads but the light weight, small size and flickable nature of this scooter makes it a blast on the Tennessee back roads. I'm looking forward to taking this up to the really twisty roads in East Tn, NC and Ga.
CathyN
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: 2009 Honda Silverwing

Thank You
-Given: 30
-Receive: 98

Maxi-Scoot Rally 2017

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2019, 05:56:45 AM »

Nice report and pics. Thanks, Wynn.

It's just not a vacation it's a fricking adventure.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: