March 20, 2019, 05:27:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Morphous Powder Coated Rear Wheel  (Read 279 times)
redeye
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 114
-Receive: 182

Email
« on: March 11, 2019, 03:19:07 AM »

Continued from the front wheel thread...

link:  Morphous Front Wheel Hi-Viz Project

Although not yet installed, a Michelin Power Pure SC is ready to go in my North Carolina garage/storage unit. This is the same tire type as the front. Journeys between Maryland and North Carolina, college visits, and house hunting have priority on the schedule, but tire installation and Morphous reassembly should be complete sometime in March.

Almost a third of March has quickly passed with some time in Maryland followed by a short but wonderful vacation with one of my daughters in Charleston, South Carolina. The time is right to get moving on this project. The tire stand works better with larger diameter tires and wheels, but the Morphous' new 13 inch rear tire spoons on in a reasonable amount of time.

Working in a 10x24 rental storage unit limits the work space compared to an oversize two-car garage in a house sold last year. But on a sunny day with temperature in the low 70s F, there really is little about which to complain! I'll leave the tire overnight to verify the pressure holds constant.

While the rear of the Morphous is substantially disassembled, I'll clean up in there and also replace the final drive oil. The rear brake looks fine.

Years of bad habits often masquerade as 'experience'
redeye
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2019, 04:49:42 AM »

Changing the final drive oil...

Changing the final drive oil doesn't require rear wheel/tire removal, but the open area makes the process a bit easier.
redeye
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2019, 11:34:46 PM »

Now the Morphous is going back together! A couple photos with captions, one on each side, tell the story.

Although not working very quickly, I'm looking forward to finishing this project and riding. With spring-like weather arriving, my FZ-09 readily answers the call to ride.
redeye
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2019, 10:51:39 PM »

Tomorrow's weather forecast calls for thunderstorms, but hopefully the Morphous will take to the road this weekend.

Since taking this photo, I have installed the body panels. Now, just a few parts for the underseat storage remain uninstalled.

redeye
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2019, 12:11:32 AM »

This morning's storms quickly gave way to a sunny and warm afternoon. After installing the last couple items in the Morphous, I rode for about a half hour. A look at the finished product follows, both from the left and right sides.

Turning around at a small store's parking lot, I noticed the Morphous attracting quite a few interested looks from shoppers. I'm very pleased with the project's results.
jdbrot
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Honda Reflex Sport ABS

Thank You
-Given: 13
-Receive: 114

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2019, 02:26:07 AM »

That looks great.
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: The Fastest Ever Bet & Win 310cc ~ Tsunami 650cc ~ 09 TMax ~ 09 DN-01 ~ 17 Sypder RT-Limited

Thank You
-Given: 324
-Receive: 794

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2019, 04:28:56 AM »

Very cool! Great job, Steve.

It's a scooterful day in the neighborhood!
bandito2
Scooter Junior Professor

Thank You
-Given: 1
-Receive: 21

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2019, 08:05:58 AM »

I like it. Curious, but if you don't mind; what does it cost to have wheels powder coated?

Southeast Michigan Dark Side Rider
4 Honda Reflex scooters & a FSC600A Silverwing
Originator of the "Darkside" Honda Reflex. "Yeah dude, that IS a car tire there on the back of my scooter."
Sometimes I'm so far outside of the box, the Hubble telescope can't find me
redeye
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2019, 04:03:58 PM »

what does it cost to have wheels powder coated?

The powder coating was just under $80 for the rear wheel. The front wheel was about the same, maybe a little less, a couple years ago. The preparation needed was removing the tire, valve stem, brake rotor, balance weights, and (front only) wheel bearing. These may be additional expenses, depending on how one has these tasks done.
bandito2
Scooter Junior Professor

Thank You
-Given: 1
-Receive: 21

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2019, 07:13:07 AM »

OK thanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: