May 23, 2019, 03:47:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Husqvarna Svartpilen 401  (Read 687 times)
Virginian
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: '19 Husqvarna Svartpilen, '14 Vespa 946, '14 HD Wide Glide

Thank You
-Given: 189
-Receive: 70

Email
« on: January 27, 2019, 06:11:08 PM »

So what’s the deal with Husqvarna? Here’s a brief history of this fabled company.

Husqvarna was founded near the town of Huskvarna in Sweden in 1689. The company started out as a maker of muskets, and the Husqvarna logo still depicts a gun sight viewed from the end of the barrel.

Pioneering since 1903 is their company motto and has been continuously been producing motorcycles since 1903. The speedo proudly deslays this when you first turn the bike on and the gauge spools up.

Husqvarna’s new street range references the classic Silverpilen (Silver Arrow), but that’s more about ideology than looks.

Rather than create a ‘modern retro,’ the now-Austrian marque has made a conscious effort to build a different type of contemporary motorcycle. These two bikes are Husqvarna’s attempt to reintroduce a street based bike into the market which they haven’t done in over 50 years.

Folks either love them or hate them from the minute you see one and I suspect most of you reading this have already made your mind up on this front. I am of Swedish heritage and Husqvarna’s have been a part of my life since the 70s.

The bikes feel significantly different to ride. I was surprised that the Vitpilen’s (White Arrow) café racer riding position didn’t put my body into knots; it did put a little strain on my wrists and back, but it was far less strenuous than I thought it would be.

So here's my latest bad decision... The Svartpilen (Black Arrow) hands down is my favorite by a country mile. Its upright, street tracker riding position is not only more comfortable than the Vitpilen, but it makes the bike easier to manhandle too. It could be that I just prefer that style of riding, but to me the Svartpilen 401 feels like a BMX with a motor, kind of a pint sized motard!

The Pirelli Scorpion Rally STRs do a good job of sticking to both slab and gravel, but I won’t be spending too much time on the latter. I’ll take Svartpilen on short jaunts on well-graded fire roads, but the overall package is still far too street biased for serious off-roading.

Both 401s are pure hooliganism in two-wheeled form. I slip through twisties and congested inner city traffic, took shortcuts, hopped curbs and just generally misbehaved all day long. Grab a handful of clutch and throttle and you’ll loft the front wheel in a hurry even with my 200 lbs. on board.

I have a few ideas of what I’ll do to my Svartpilen 401 in my garage, but most of it’s centered around performance upgrades. I will document my journey, build, success and failures in this thread. My only wish is to maybe open your eyes to a very small company that’s been making bikes for 116 years.

I have been feverishly churning out CL scoots and bike in disrepair to to foot the bill for this one, 6 to be exact. I was able to convert the fruits of my labor into this. Let the games begin!

The specs:

ENGINE

Type: Single cylinder
Displacement: 373cc
Bore x stroke: 89 x 60mm
Maximum power: 43 horsepower @ 9000 rpm
Maximum torque: 27.3 ft/lbs @ 7000 rpm
Compression ratio: 12.6:1
Valve train: DOCH, 4 valves
Fueling: Bosch EFI w/ 46mm throttle body
Cooling: Liquid
Transmission: 6 gears
Clutch: Multi-disc slipper clutch
Final drive: X-Ring chain

CHASSIS

Frame: Chromoly trellis
Handlebar: Aluminum forged
Front suspension; travel: Non-adjustable inverted 43mm WP fork; 5.6 inches
Rear suspension; travel: Non-adjustable WP shock; 5.9 inches
Wheels: Wire-spoked w/ aluminum rims
Front wheel: 3.00 x 17
Rear wheel: 4.00 x 17
Tires: Pirelli Scorpion Rally STR
Front tire: 110/70 x 17
Rear tire: 150/60 x 17
Front brake: 300mm disc w/ 4-piston Bybre caliper
Rear brake: 230mm disc w/ single-piston floating Bybre caliper
ABS: Bosch 9.1MB Two Channel

DIMENSIONS and CAPACITIES

Wheelbase: 53.4 inches
Rake: 25 degrees
Triple clamp offset: 1.3 inches
Trail: 3.7 inches
Steering head angle: 25°
Trail: 95 mm
Seat height: 32.9 inches
Tank capacity: 2.5 gallons
Curb weight: 330 pounds (dry)

Show up on time, do your best and don't grumble about the outcome.
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: The Fastest Ever Bet & Win 310cc ~ Tsunami 650cc ~ 09 TMax ~ 09 DN-01 ~ 17 Sypder RT-Limited

Thank You
-Given: 324
-Receive: 801

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2019, 07:08:15 PM »

I think they are so cool looking!

It's a scooterful day in the neighborhood!
Virginian
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2019, 06:10:26 PM »

Husqvarna set the interwebs on fire when they announced their Vitpilen and Svartpilen 401 concepts over three years ago. Then the good news came: these bikes would actually go into production. But would the factory machines be as cool as the concepts? The answer came last year at EICMA, when Husqvarna revealed the production ready 401s (and 701). I never before have we seen production motorcycles stay so true to the original designs.

It appears that Husqvarna had their gun-sites set on me. After years on anticipation and waiting for the initial bikes to appear I purchased one from my local dealer; Wayne's Cycle Shop in Waynesboro, VA, about 70 miles away from home. Wayne's Cycle Shop is family owned and have been in business since the '70s. If you're passing through the Old Dominion stop by for a visit to these good folks. I cannot say enough good things about this shop. The sales folks are not commission and are low pressure and they all ride. I dealt with all 3 of their sales staff, Zing, Jennifer and Greg. They are conveniently located just off the Blue Ridge Parkway and Skyline Drive. https://www.waynecycle.com/

Why didn't I purchase the 701 variant? The older I get the more minimalist I have become so I have to ask myself a question, "how much is enough?" Believe it or not the 701 Svart' and Vit' only weigh 20 lbs. more than the little brother 401. I'm a huge fan of the 'motard' robust black spoked rims over the 701s cast wheels and I just didn't want to drop 12k on a new bike. I really enjoy wringing the neck of all the power-band vs. using only a small portion of it 90% of the time.

In summery:

- Minimalist
- Ascetics
- I'm cheap
- Polarizing looks

Svart and Vit share the same bodywork; a four-piece design that hides the fuel tank and subframe, creating an almost monocoque-like effect. In fact, the two bikes are virtually identical, save for their color schemes and a handful of parts which I will point out.

The biggest difference is their individual riding positions, and that’s really just down to the handlebars. The Vitpilen has clip-ons mounted directly to its top triple clamp, while the Svartpilen gets higher scrambler-style bars. As for their foot control positions and seat heights (35 inches), those are identical. This bike is tiny! I mean scooter tiny yet the seating position at 35" means vertically challenged riders will have issues flat footing this bike. It's very difficult for me to share in words how bizarre the geometry is on this bike, but it works nicely. Small, tiny, and tall, kind of oxymoronic no?

Price:

The price of admission is $6,299. About the price of a new Vespa 300 these days. I have heard many friends say crikey that's expensive! I guess my answer would be how much is a Ducati Scrambler? 10, 11 maybe a skosh under 12 thousand. Heck, when i was in the store walking around the showroom there was a Honda Monkey for $3,999 +++ the normal fertilizer fees. There are a plethora of really good bikes out there that you can purchase for quite a bit less than the Svartpilen that will serve you well. Pick your poison and don't look back!

I have also read a comment that Husqvarna is the Lexus and KTM is the Toyota in the Austrian marque. This bike is a revamped Superduke 390 and is priced $1,000 more at $5,449, throw in a year or two older leftover and you can get a hella deal on one of these bikes. This begs the question is the 'Pilen worth the extra doubloons? I won;t answer that but maybe when I get through with this thread you will be more prepared to answer that question yourself.

I think the driving force for the price point and horsepower of the SD390 and the 401s falls clearly on how the licensing structure works in the UK and other parts of the world. This particular bike requires an A2 licence.

Here's a brief summary: https://www.visordown.com/features/learner/understand-january-19th-changes
Age 19-20 - 47 bhp max: the A2 licence. This is where the rules become slightly complex. From the age of 19, you are permitted to take an A2 test (which must be taken on a bike of at least 395cc, with a power output of between 25kW/33bhp and 35kW/47bhp). If you don't already hold an A1 licence you will need to do a CBT beforehand, as always, and pass a theory test, before you take the practical test.

Upon passing, the rider is restricted to bikes with a limit of 35kW/47bhp and a power-to-weight ratio of no more than 0.2kW/0.26bhp per kg, for two years. The power-to-weight ratio is an important qualification because it makes drawing a distinction between 'can ride' and 'can't ride' more nuanced than a simple bhp cap. In real terms, it imposes a minimum weight of 175kg for any bike using the full 47bhp, dashing hopes of super-lightweight 250s making a mockery of the bhp limit.

It's relatively straightforward to restrict a bike, meaning you are not necessarily ruled out of riding the bike of your dreams - unless you are dreaming of anything 'more than twice' as powerful. Any bike originally making more than 94 bhp is still out of reach of the A2 licence.

You will need to hold the A2 licence for two years before you can move on to a full A licence. Examples of A2 permissable bikes include: Honda NC700, Kawasaki Z800e, BMW G650GS.

Take my Vespa 946 that came to North America with a 155cc engine (thankfully) and the UK got a 125cc engine to conform to A1 licensing. You get the idea... The point is there are many factors that drive the HP, engine size at a price point that will sell.

That's it for this installment, I have loads to share on my perspective of this bike while I patiently wait for the weather to get a little warmer. I hope it was worth a read on a cold January day for folks this winter.

Life is short, enjoy the ride.

Eric

Yellow Jacket
Scooter Grad Student

Bikes Owned: 106, 10 scooters, BV250 & '90 Elite 250, sold Kymco GTi 300 currently

Thank You
-Given: 15
-Receive: 22

Email
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2019, 07:30:36 PM »

Have to say, I love both of the 401's, Vitpilion looks best but Svartpilion would be much more rideable for me. In addition to scooters, I have a thing for dual sports. Will be looking for your future comments on the bike.
So you have Swedish heritage, I'm close, Finnish.   

Kymco GTi 300 and  Honda Elite 150 + 11 others in the past.
Virginian
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2019, 07:42:28 PM »

Have to say, I love both of the 401's, Vitpilion looks best but Svartpilion would be much more rideable for me. In addition to scooters, I have a thing for dual sports. Will be looking for your future comments on the bike.
So you have Swedish heritage, I'm close, Finnish.    

I do, here's an honorable discharge from the civil war of the first one of us to paddle over here from Sweden accompanied with a typed letter from his widow at his funeral. Here's some fodder that'll put you to sleep. lol

Virginian
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2019, 01:14:28 AM »

Today's update is a few features and benefits like the tool kit. It is beyond cold today and I'm killing time doing some of these updates dreaming of going for a ride, not today as it's 14*F/-10*C this evening.

Tool kit:
It's held securely in place with two very stout rubber straps that can adjust to the size of your tool roll. That said I had a devil of time getting the tool roll to fit under the seat in the allowed compartment without a bunch of fiddling and adjusting the tools inside the pouch to get the seat to sit properly. So son't count on adding more tools to this kit and storing it here.

The kit is actually amazingly good on many levels. Real pliers, a tube that contains the necessary sockets, tort bits, and hex heads, box wrench, spanner wrench, T-wrench that the bits attach with a nice spring loaded ball that keeps the tips from falling off, and a spark plug wrench. All housed in a velcro flap heavy canvas bag that appears to be a little water resistant. Not bad!

The mirrors:
Well... what can I say, I can't stand them as they look like antennas poking straight up in the air. They do vibrate some and do a fair job but not a good job once under speeds over 50 mph/80 kph. This will be the very first modification I'll do, they bother me that much... More to come on this later.

Lights:
A notable feature on the LED tail light is the clear housing on it extends out to finish off the lines of the bike design. It's textured almost bead blasted and act like fiber optics as it transmits light through the entire housing.

The headlight has a halo that stays on and acts like a daytime running light which I rather like.

The LED license plate light is a bit robust and really lights the ground.

The headlight is cut in half with the LED low bean on the top and combined with the high beam on the bottom. When I get time to take some pics at night showing how well it performs I'll post some pics.

Owner's kit:
The owners kit comes in this nice felt like case with a bungie that snaps over the corner to close it accompanied with a Husky pen. Also included and a branded journal that I will use to note changes, servicing and anything notable in. Starting today, I was removing all the "you're gonna die" stickers and stuck them in the journal with a notation as to where the factory placed them.

Thanks for reading!

(more to come)
Yellow Jacket
Scooter Grad Student

Bikes Owned: 106, 10 scooters, BV250 & '90 Elite 250, sold Kymco GTi 300 currently

Thank You

Email
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2019, 01:21:18 AM »

I am SOOO jealous of you.
Virginian
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2019, 02:47:34 AM »

I am SOOO jealous of you.

Wow, I'm sorry I didn't mean to make you jealous. I have a trip planned this spring to swing down to Atlanta to visit some friends and then cut over to to some riding with Klaviator and Clampet in Alabama. Maybe I can swing through your neck of the woods and let you have a go on her and I'll sip some sweet tea! Keep it on your radar if any interest.

Eric
Yellow Jacket
Scooter Grad Student

Thank You

Email
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2019, 06:26:07 PM »

Always happy to meet, in real life, old friends I've met on the boards. I'm 15 miles S of Ashville. Got my radar working.
Virginian
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2019, 02:08:10 AM »

Gauge:

It's odd to me they didn't steal the TFT gauge out of the baby Duke's parts bin for this bike. I think it would have been a natural for it but I guess they were looking for brand identity for the Svart. It would have been nice to have the BluTooth technology that links to your phone. That said a rectangle gauge on this bike would have looked terrible to me.

This gauge is a love hate relationship with me. It provides all the information I want and need on a bike and I don't mind the tachometer on the outer ring, but the font size is too small to read clearly under way. But hey, Husqvarna’s Swedish, and the Swedes gave us seat belts, so maybe that sort of ‘safety first’ caution is endemic. That being said the gauge shows all the important stuff just fine – speed, turn signals, shift indicator and any warning lights it might throw out at you.

3 mm for the odometer and trip meters.

1 cm for the mph which is more than enough.

6 mm for the gear indicator again is more than enough.

You warning messages trump the face of the gauge to the point when you turn it on it says “WARNING: SIDESTAND DOWN.” That’s one step away from saying, “HEY SLAPNUTS: THIS IS A MOTORCYCLE!” 

There's gas gauge and a rev light that is programmable to tell you to shift from the factory during break in. Kind of cool actually... Later on you can set it to 13k and get your hooning on. When I get time I would like to change the color of the backlit LED gauge to something more subdued in color if it's feasible. I'll update this thread if I cross that bridge.

An honorable mention here is the controls are lit up in LED which I love and think is a nice touch. (pardon my crappy photography as I do 100% of my reviews from my cell phone)

I had mentioned that Vit and Svart are roughly the same bikes except for a few parts. As for their foot control positions and seat heights (835 mm), those are identical. I talked about the handlebars in depth above, let's cover the other parts.

The Svart had a quasi muffler shield on it and the muffler is black while the Fit has no guard and a silver can.

The Svart gets a belly rock guard.

Svart gets a luggage rack on the tank. (more on that later)

There are a few color differences in the wheels and a few other parts.

The passenger seat is removable with a key release while the Fit has a long seat. This allows the Svart to snap in a luggage rack and use it more in a utilitarian manner.

Both Husky 401s get 17” wire spoked wheels. On the Vitpilen, they’re wrapped in Metzeler M5 tires; the Svartpilen gets Pirelli Scorpion Rally STRs (just like the Ducati Scrambler Desert).

There has been a lot of talk about these 'pilens being made in India. As I understand it the KTM 390 Duke is produced in India, but the Husky 401s are put together in Austria. I’m not usually one for debates over where a bike’s built, but the 401 undeniably oozes quality. The primary panels might be plastic, but the surface quality is right up there, with both matte and gloss finishes employed in various places to create a premium effect. The fact that the VIN number first characters dictates by law where the bike was produced states it was made in Austria. That said there are many parts on the bike that are made in India. I'll cover those later on down the road.

That's it for today's installment, stay warm folks and thanks for reading.

(more to come)

Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: The Fastest Ever Bet & Win 310cc ~ Tsunami 650cc ~ 09 TMax ~ 09 DN-01 ~ 17 Sypder RT-Limited

Thank You

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2019, 02:49:25 AM »

So cool looking!! 
klaviator
Scooter Grad Student

Bikes Owned: Yamaha Majesty, Kymco Super 8 150, Kymco Like 150i, Kawasaki Versys 650, Kawasaki KLR650

Thank You
-Given: 72
-Receive: 64

Email
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2019, 11:50:17 PM »

Very nice.

I ride, therefore I am
Virginian
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2019, 11:56:08 PM »

Uh oh! Klav is checking it out!  

Please note that Klav is 6'2" tall and look where his knees are.
klaviator
Scooter Grad Student

Bikes Owned: Yamaha Majesty, Kymco Super 8 150, Kymco Like 150i, Kawasaki Versys 650, Kawasaki KLR650

Thank You

Email
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2019, 12:08:27 AM »

I would love to have one of these.  It may very well be the perfect bike for the kind of roads I like to ride best.  But... I already have a full garage and I'm getting ready to retire so it's unlikely I'll buy one.
Virginian
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2019, 08:38:19 PM »

I spent a few krona on farkles.

I ordered the rim sticker set. They're super easy to install but if the temps are under 70*F/21*C I would suggest using a heat gun to soften things up a bit and heat the rim so the adhesive gets a good bond.

Before

After

Of course one of the wheels had the wheel weights in the way so I notched the sticker around it.

Overall I really like the look.

I also ordered a service manual on CD.

I'm all set for the first service. I think KTM/Husqvarna do a great job of selling their service kit. Order 1 item and you're done. What's notable here is that some of the filters have the screw mounted to them so in effect your replacing hardware. Something I haven't really experienced before.

Lastly I replaced the antenna mirrors with some nice billet bar end mirrors. The stock bar end weights are rather long that I removed.

I may mount them facing down, I'm unsure at this point. (In these pics they're not adjusted properly)

Today temps finally came out of polar and rose to 50*F/10*C and I put 220 mi/354 km on her. Here's a few random shots.

PS: One mild complaint, the kickstand is located directly under the foot peg which makes it annoying to deploy.

Life is short, enjoy the ride.

Eric
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2019, 02:05:42 PM »

Such a great looking bike! I hope you enjoy many (s)miles. 
Virginian
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2019, 12:35:01 AM »

Another unseasonably warm day here in Feb. and as luck would have it  some parts I ordered came in so I rode up to Waynesboro to pick them up, roughly about 80 miles each into the mountains.

One of the items I'm picking up is a OEM tankbag. Ummm... this was a mistake on a couple of different levels. For starters it's a magnetic tank bag and the rack on the tank gets replaced with a metal one. I guess in the back of my mind their advertisement should define more clearly on what exactly you're getting. Negating the stock rack denies me the opportunity to bungee anything to it.

Here's a pic of the underside of the bag and there are three points, two in the wings and one in the center towards the rider. They are quite strong magnets so I believe them to be earth magnets.

The actual bag is super small so I can't carry much in there. Gloves, cell phone, wallet, and some other bric-a-brac is about all she wrote.

It comes with a should strap that turns it into a man-purse. Yay... Does anyone ever use these things? And a rain cover for foul weather.

This bag is a re-branded Givi made for Husqvarna.

My disdain for magnetic tank bags goes back to 1979 on my Yamaha RD400 when I had a Marsee that was about the same size and had wet-suit material sew on the bottom with about eight magnets in it. The darn thing would pick up staples and paperclips and when you threw it on your bike they would scratch the gas tank. It has a small leash on it to attach to your handlebars and was a darn good thing, every strong crosswind that hit me that bag would go sailing in the air!

So I mounted it in the parking lot and got underway as the temps were nice but the sun was setting and it would get cold soon up in the mountains. I haven't installed my heated gear yet so that task will be happening soon.

I had a beautiful ride home through the mountains and was home before dark. When I was stowing my gear I saw something seeping out of the muffler. It appears to be baked on moisture of some sorts so I'll take that apart and clean it up with mineral spirits. This is a first for me and I'll keep a watchful eye on it to see if it gets worse or persists.

Final thoughts I would like to share on this update are as follows: it's too soon to post a ride report on "how she rides" till I get her settled in. It usually takes a solid 1,000 miles to get the suspension settled in. The upswing is that the tires are scrubbed in nicely and I'm starting to hike her over in the turns as I build trust in the Pirelli Scorpion Rally STRs. I will say so far they are performing great and are a cracker in the twisties. That said, they're Made in China.

(more to come)
Virginian
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2019, 12:15:29 AM »

How to charge my gear on the go? Husqvarna makes a USB that plugs right into the wiring harness underneath the passenger's seat.

Poke it out from under or between the seats and you're up and rolling. It sports a weather resistant rubber cap.

Plug & play.

I should note that they were kind enough to put some electrical contact great on the connectors from the factory, this was a first for me.

While I was rooting around in that area I thought I would show where the fuse box is with spares.

Virginian
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2019, 12:42:36 AM »

Next up was to hard wire my nav to the battery. I use a Ram ball and just replace one of the handlebar bolts with it.

With a small thumb turn clamp you're in business. With a small thumb turn clasp you can rotate the nave around to suit your needs.

I fished the wire underneath the gas tank cladding and attached it to the battery along with my heated gear lead that can be used also to keep it stored on a battery tender.

I used the usual zip ties to secure the wiring. If you go to purchase zip ties, look inline at electrical supples for contractors as you can buy in bulk and they're cheap as beans. Order extra long ones as you can always cut them back. It beats going to home depot and you're out $6 for a dozen.

When I removed the stock OEM mirrors I was left with the unsightly holes for them.

I motored up to my local auto parts store to find some auto panel push retainers. Cut to length with a pair of dykes and they give your bike a nice finished look.

Virginian
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2019, 12:50:24 AM »

When I popped out of the auto parts store I had 2 bars of gas left on the gas gauge. The range doesn't have any internal memory and resets each time you shut the bike off so when I headed out it thinks I have no range and you get the warning that you're low on fuel and the range now shows 0. It's a bit annoying but I tend to use my trip meter as a more accurate measurement for my range.

One other notable item is in the neck of the gas tank lies a bar with space enough to angle a gas pump nozzle on either side of the bike. It keep the nozzle quite stationary which I rather like.

I'm creeping up on 400 miles in February so I'm blessed to be able to ride this time of year.

Thanks for reading.

Eric
Virginian
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2019, 06:56:07 PM »

These pics suck but they're all I have the day I picked it up and took an inaugural ride around the neighborhood. Mrs. V was walking the dogs and snapped a few pics. When I get time I'll post some clear pics of my legs folded up on it. No, I don't have my gear on to ride around da hood.

Here are a few of my thoughts 370 miles into the break in...

Look, I’m a big guy. I weigh 200 lbs. and measure in at about 6 foot 4 inches tall. So I typically feel like a hippo on a tricycle on smaller bikes. Even though I only just fit on the Svartpilen 401, it didn’t stop it from being a total hoot to ride. This is a fair statement to say: I fit on this little bike better than most full size motorcycles. Believe it or not...

That 373.2 cc power plant is super punchy, and the 401 hops off the line with the slightest encouragement. I even managed to put a little air between the front wheel and the tarmac now and then. And it had no trouble getting up to speed and staying there on brief highway stints either averaging 70 to 80 mph/112 to 128 kph. Will I torture it and travel long distances on it? Hell to the yeah!

It’s an enthusiastic revver too, and spools up so quickly, you’ll be surprised at how soon you’ll need to shift. The response from the ride-by-wire throttle is crisp, and even though the clutch action’s a little heavy, cycling through the gearbox is a cinch. The exhaust note is just throaty enough to live with it.

Drive-by-wire: In simple terms, it refers to the absence of mechanical linkage between accelerator and throttle. Instead, various sensors and actuators (connected by wires) control the fuel-air supply going to the engine.

As for handling, the 401 chassis is extremely compact, with a short wheelbase and steep head angle. Plus it’s not all that heavy, so it’s hella nimble and easy to throw around. Point-and-shoot, and the 401 will go where you want it, and come out laughing on the other side.

After installing my nav I was able to check the speedometer's accuracy and it reads enthusiastically roughly 4 mph/6 kph too high at 60 mph/96 kph. If I was doing say 30 mph it read about +3 and if I'm doing 80 mph it read +5.

The seat looks like a torture rack and I'm happy to report it is mediocre! lol As in it's not that bad actually and putting 200 miles in one sitting was starting to hurt me bum at the end of the day.

I haven't messed with the ABS yet as in trying panic stops to see how it deals with it. I'll report my thoughts when I get to that part. May post a video...
klaviator
Scooter Grad Student

Thank You

Email
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2019, 12:52:55 AM »

My observations from just sitting on one were that it felt pretty comfortable.  The riding position was pretty good.  I'm 6-2, 180 and 34" inseam.  The seat felt better than most that found on most sporty bikes.  It felt better than the 390 Duke or CB300R both of which have rock hard seats.  Both the seat and riding position felt better than my 650 Versys.  The only reason I can ride my Versys is because of the Air hawk seat cushion which make the seat and riding position much better.   I think I could see doing 300 mile days on the Svartpilen as long as I took short breaks every hour or so.

Virginian
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2019, 07:45:38 PM »

The stock turn signals are right out of the parts bins from the baby Duke are are break-a-ways. In the event of a mishap they shouldn't self destruct. I should note that the front signals do not illuminate as a secondary daytime running light.

A main gripe I have for bikes from abroad that are brought to the shore of the U.S. (idk about Canada) is to the rest of the world they get nice LED signals and to pass DOT here in the states they bolt on last decades technology. Grrrr.....

Here's a good side view of what they were meant to be.

I don't have much data yet but roughly it's getting 60 mpg/97 kpg and my range on my whopping 2.59 gallon gas tank is roughly 170 miles/273 kilometers per tank full.

Virginian
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2019, 07:46:43 PM »

My observations from just sitting on one were that it felt pretty comfortable.  The riding position was pretty good.  I'm 6-2, 180 and 34" inseam.  The seat felt better than most that found on most sporty bikes.  It felt better than the 390 Duke or CB300R both of which have rock hard seats.  Both the seat and riding position felt better than my 650 Versys.  The only reason I can ride my Versys is because of the Air hawk seat cushion which make the seat and riding position much better.   I think I could see doing 300 mile days on the Svartpilen as long as I took short breaks every hour or so.

Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2019, 01:17:08 PM »

Nice report! Thanks.
Blacktruck
Scooter Freshman

Bikes Owned: 2017 650 Burgman 2017 Triumph Trophy SE

Thank You
-Given: 17
-Receive: 2

dcotop
Email
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2019, 03:07:53 AM »

Excellent report on the new Husqvarna. I agree the styling appeal to most riders is probably love it or hate it. You probably won't see another when you stop for a break which is something I like. The rack on the tank looks way more functional to install a real tank. I am getting to a point where the smaller bikes are way more appealing to me. I like it. Let us all know what you think of it in the days ahead.
Thanks.
Virginian
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2019, 08:55:22 PM »

Excellent report on the new Husqvarna. I agree the styling appeal to most riders is probably love it or hate it. You probably won't see another when you stop for a break which is something I like. The rack on the tank looks way more functional to install a real tank. I am getting to a point where the smaller bikes are way more appealing to me. I like it. Let us all know what you think of it in the days ahead.
Thanks.

Many thanks for stopping by, reading, and commenting!

Virginian
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2019, 08:56:38 PM »

When I purchased the bike the tail rack wasn't available so I pre-ordered it for a March release. It showed up on my doorstep today, woohoo! I snaps on in place of the passenger's seat with the key. This should doo nicely for my Kreiga 20L pack with a 10L stacked on it. I believe I'm all set to sport tour on the mighty Husky!

The weather is warming up and i should be back on the road soon but I have a business trip to Seattle next week. 

Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2019, 01:33:26 AM »

So good looking!!  Glad you are enjoying the new ride!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: