September 20, 2019, 07:12:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Husqvarna Svartpilen 401  (Read 1105 times)
Virginian
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: '19 Husqvarna Svartpilen, '14 Vespa 946, '14 HD Wide Glide

Thank You
-Given: 203
-Receive: 77

Email
« on: February 11, 2019, 06:56:07 PM »

These pics suck but they're all I have the day I picked it up and took an inaugural ride around the neighborhood. Mrs. V was walking the dogs and snapped a few pics. When I get time I'll post some clear pics of my legs folded up on it. No, I don't have my gear on to ride around da hood.

Here are a few of my thoughts 370 miles into the break in...

Look, Iím a big guy. I weigh 200 lbs. and measure in at about 6 foot 4 inches tall. So I typically feel like a hippo on a tricycle on smaller bikes. Even though I only just fit on the Svartpilen 401, it didnít stop it from being a total hoot to ride. This is a fair statement to say: I fit on this little bike better than most full size motorcycles. Believe it or not...

That 373.2 cc power plant is super punchy, and the 401 hops off the line with the slightest encouragement. I even managed to put a little air between the front wheel and the tarmac now and then. And it had no trouble getting up to speed and staying there on brief highway stints either averaging 70 to 80 mph/112 to 128 kph. Will I torture it and travel long distances on it? Hell to the yeah!

Itís an enthusiastic revver too, and spools up so quickly, youíll be surprised at how soon youíll need to shift. The response from the ride-by-wire throttle is crisp, and even though the clutch actionís a little heavy, cycling through the gearbox is a cinch. The exhaust note is just throaty enough to live with it.

Drive-by-wire: In simple terms, it refers to the absence of mechanical linkage between accelerator and throttle. Instead, various sensors and actuators (connected by wires) control the fuel-air supply going to the engine.

As for handling, the 401 chassis is extremely compact, with a short wheelbase and steep head angle. Plus itís not all that heavy, so itís hella nimble and easy to throw around. Point-and-shoot, and the 401 will go where you want it, and come out laughing on the other side.

After installing my nav I was able to check the speedometer's accuracy and it reads enthusiastically roughly 4 mph/6 kph too high at 60 mph/96 kph. If I was doing say 30 mph it read about +3 and if I'm doing 80 mph it read +5.

The seat looks like a torture rack and I'm happy to report it is mediocre! lol As in it's not that bad actually and putting 200 miles in one sitting was starting to hurt me bum at the end of the day.

I haven't messed with the ABS yet as in trying panic stops to see how it deals with it. I'll report my thoughts when I get to that part. May post a video...

Show up on time, do your best and don't grumble about the outcome.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: