February 19, 2020, 04:33:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Husqvarna Svartpilen 401  (Read 2599 times)
Virginian
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: '19 Husqvarna Svartpilen, '14 Vespa 946, '14 HD Wide Glide

Thank You
-Given: 247
-Receive: 84

Email
« on: February 05, 2019, 12:35:01 AM »

Another unseasonably warm day here in Feb. and as luck would have it  some parts I ordered came in so I rode up to Waynesboro to pick them up, roughly about 80 miles each into the mountains.

One of the items I'm picking up is a OEM tankbag. Ummm... this was a mistake on a couple of different levels. For starters it's a magnetic tank bag and the rack on the tank gets replaced with a metal one. I guess in the back of my mind their advertisement should define more clearly on what exactly you're getting. Negating the stock rack denies me the opportunity to bungee anything to it.

Here's a pic of the underside of the bag and there are three points, two in the wings and one in the center towards the rider. They are quite strong magnets so I believe them to be earth magnets.

The actual bag is super small so I can't carry much in there. Gloves, cell phone, wallet, and some other bric-a-brac is about all she wrote.

It comes with a should strap that turns it into a man-purse. Yay... Does anyone ever use these things? And a rain cover for foul weather.

This bag is a re-branded Givi made for Husqvarna.

My disdain for magnetic tank bags goes back to 1979 on my Yamaha RD400 when I had a Marsee that was about the same size and had wet-suit material sew on the bottom with about eight magnets in it. The darn thing would pick up staples and paperclips and when you threw it on your bike they would scratch the gas tank. It has a small leash on it to attach to your handlebars and was a darn good thing, every strong crosswind that hit me that bag would go sailing in the air!

So I mounted it in the parking lot and got underway as the temps were nice but the sun was setting and it would get cold soon up in the mountains. I haven't installed my heated gear yet so that task will be happening soon.

I had a beautiful ride home through the mountains and was home before dark. When I was stowing my gear I saw something seeping out of the muffler. It appears to be baked on moisture of some sorts so I'll take that apart and clean it up with mineral spirits. This is a first for me and I'll keep a watchful eye on it to see if it gets worse or persists.

Final thoughts I would like to share on this update are as follows: it's too soon to post a ride report on "how she rides" till I get her settled in. It usually takes a solid 1,000 miles to get the suspension settled in. The upswing is that the tires are scrubbed in nicely and I'm starting to hike her over in the turns as I build trust in the Pirelli Scorpion Rally STRs. I will say so far they are performing great and are a cracker in the twisties. That said, they're Made in China.

(more to come)

Show up on time, do your best and don't grumble about the outcome.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: