June 05, 2020, 11:08:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Husqvarna Svartpilen 401  (Read 6777 times)
Virginian
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: '19 Husqvarna Svartpilen, '14 Vespa 946, '14 HD Wide Glide

Thank You
-Given: 275
-Receive: 87

Email
« on: February 01, 2019, 02:08:10 AM »

Gauge:

It's odd to me they didn't steal the TFT gauge out of the baby Duke's parts bin for this bike. I think it would have been a natural for it but I guess they were looking for brand identity for the Svart. It would have been nice to have the BluTooth technology that links to your phone. That said a rectangle gauge on this bike would have looked terrible to me.

This gauge is a love hate relationship with me. It provides all the information I want and need on a bike and I don't mind the tachometer on the outer ring, but the font size is too small to read clearly under way. But hey, Husqvarna’s Swedish, and the Swedes gave us seat belts, so maybe that sort of ‘safety first’ caution is endemic. That being said the gauge shows all the important stuff just fine – speed, turn signals, shift indicator and any warning lights it might throw out at you.

3 mm for the odometer and trip meters.

1 cm for the mph which is more than enough.

6 mm for the gear indicator again is more than enough.

You warning messages trump the face of the gauge to the point when you turn it on it says “WARNING: SIDESTAND DOWN.” That’s one step away from saying, “HEY SLAPNUTS: THIS IS A MOTORCYCLE!” 

There's gas gauge and a rev light that is programmable to tell you to shift from the factory during break in. Kind of cool actually... Later on you can set it to 13k and get your hooning on. When I get time I would like to change the color of the backlit LED gauge to something more subdued in color if it's feasible. I'll update this thread if I cross that bridge.

An honorable mention here is the controls are lit up in LED which I love and think is a nice touch. (pardon my crappy photography as I do 100% of my reviews from my cell phone)

I had mentioned that Vit and Svart are roughly the same bikes except for a few parts. As for their foot control positions and seat heights (835 mm), those are identical. I talked about the handlebars in depth above, let's cover the other parts.

The Svart had a quasi muffler shield on it and the muffler is black while the Fit has no guard and a silver can.

The Svart gets a belly rock guard.

Svart gets a luggage rack on the tank. (more on that later)

There are a few color differences in the wheels and a few other parts.

The passenger seat is removable with a key release while the Fit has a long seat. This allows the Svart to snap in a luggage rack and use it more in a utilitarian manner.

Both Husky 401s get 17” wire spoked wheels. On the Vitpilen, they’re wrapped in Metzeler M5 tires; the Svartpilen gets Pirelli Scorpion Rally STRs (just like the Ducati Scrambler Desert).

There has been a lot of talk about these 'pilens being made in India. As I understand it the KTM 390 Duke is produced in India, but the Husky 401s are put together in Austria. I’m not usually one for debates over where a bike’s built, but the 401 undeniably oozes quality. The primary panels might be plastic, but the surface quality is right up there, with both matte and gloss finishes employed in various places to create a premium effect. The fact that the VIN number first characters dictates by law where the bike was produced states it was made in Austria. That said there are many parts on the bike that are made in India. I'll cover those later on down the road.

That's it for today's installment, stay warm folks and thanks for reading.

(more to come)

Show up on time, do your best and don't grumble about the outcome.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: