March 23, 2019, 10:26:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LEAST RELIABLE BIKES  (Read 377 times)
freak
RCR
Scooter Senior

Thank You
-Given: 3
-Receive: 7

Email
« on: January 08, 2019, 04:36:26 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzF8bY_YnFQ

Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity
Spyderist
RCR
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: '16 Can-am Spyder RT Limited SE-6, '08 Suzuki Burgman 400 w/Minitrike (better half's), '07 Honda Reflex Sport (also better half's)

Thank You
-Given: 10
-Receive: 41

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2019, 08:25:53 PM »

As with most things in this internet age, a critical eye toward everything is a good idea.  I don't recall the "presenter" in this video mentioning a critical element and I couldn't stomach watching him again to see if I missed it (actually didn't watch it all the way as it was ... if only he'd dial it down a notch, or three).

That key element is that these ratings are based on a survey of motorcycles purchased new between 2008 and 2014.  Models change (some significantly) from year to year.  So this may be useful if one's looking at 2008 to 2014 models, but perhaps not so useful if looking at later models.

An interesting observation - readers' rating do not track in lock step with reliability results ... apparently poor reliability does not overpower their overall view.

Here are the Reader and Reliability ratings from the CR site

Apparently one can access CR's Motorcycle Buying Guide that accompanied their ratings without membership.  It's at https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/motorcycles-scooters/buying-guide/index.htm.

It's OK though it seemingly understates licensing requirements and makes no mention of 150cc to 400cc scooters.  Their statement regards the former is "No license is required for scooters with engines less than 50 cc in most states".  What I've found on the web is that most states require at least a driver's license for operating any powered vehicle on the public roadways, excepting certain farm & military vehicles (some do issue moped licenses)

Full disclosure - I go hot & cold on CR, been a subscriber off and on for many years and am about to discontinue again.  Seems like every time I go looking for some product on their site, it's either not there or it's seriously dated - not really worth it.

Spyderist, formerly known as ZURG

If You Don't Ride, You Don't Know
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4mU8ZqMZPU
EZMark
RCR
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 2
-Receive: 61

Email
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2019, 08:42:49 AM »

This is great news as we wait until spring to buy a CanAm.
Spyderist
RCR
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: '16 Can-am Spyder RT Limited SE-6, '08 Suzuki Burgman 400 w/Minitrike (better half's), '07 Honda Reflex Sport (also better half's)

Thank You

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2019, 05:33:17 PM »

Pretty sure there were no Rykers in 2014.  Then again, it's a new model.   
lucasind
Scooter Freshman

Bikes Owned: Too many to list

Thank You
-Given: 6
-Receive: 1

Email
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2019, 09:27:24 PM »

.....the guy (presenter) in the link was sure tough to take .....could not watch that twice.......

90% of any job is GETTING STARTED !
SilverBullet
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Pearl

Thank You
-Given: 387
-Receive: 195

Email
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2019, 04:35:02 AM »

.....the guy (presenter) in the link was sure tough to take .....could not watch that twice.......

I couldn't get through it once!

02 Gl 1800 GoldWing
89 Pacific Coast 800 
2012 Burgman 650 Burgman Trike
EZMark
RCR
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2019, 06:50:17 AM »

I talked to a Can Am mechanic at work and asked him about the low ratings.
He said the Rotax engines were bulletproof, but the rest of the bikes had some quality problems.
Electrics, switchgear, that type of thing.
He did say they're getting better.
jdbrot
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Honda Reflex Sport ABS

Thank You
-Given: 13
-Receive: 114

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2019, 05:33:09 PM »

My opinion changes when the bike I am riding breaks down. Resets when the bike is back on the road. Every brand has some kind of bug.
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: The Fastest Ever Bet & Win 310cc ~ Tsunami 650cc ~ 09 TMax ~ 09 DN-01 ~ 17 Sypder RT-Limited

Thank You
-Given: 324
-Receive: 794

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2019, 05:44:55 PM »

My opinion changes when the bike I am riding breaks down. Resets when the bike is back on the road. Every brand has some kind of bug.

* bingo.jpg (78.42 KB, 1280x720 - viewed 10 times.)

It's a scooterful day in the neighborhood!
EZMark
RCR
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2019, 05:17:31 AM »

Little problems are one thing.
When the bike leaves you stranded, that's a whole different thing.
I had a Harley that stranded me 3 times in 6 months.
That left a lasting negative impression on me.
Sold it and never bought another one.
jdbrot
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Honda Reflex Sport ABS

Thank You
-Given: 13
-Receive: 114

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2019, 07:27:27 PM »

Breakdowns suck. Had an unrepairable flat(3/4" cut) and failure of my voltage regulator stranded me for hours. The voltage regulator just died about 10 miles from home and both AMA and Progressive could not find a motorcycle tow truck on December 26 two years ago. Luckily another biker came to my rescue with a trailer, just happened he was out for a ride and I broke down in front of his property. Made a new friend. Unfortunately took over a month for the part to arrive and the removal of all the rear body panels and seat. If I ever design a bike this part will require one panel or less to replace. Love the Reflex but it is a Japanese puzzle box to work on the rear of the bike.
Spyderist
RCR
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2019, 08:14:56 PM »

If I ever design a bike this part will require one panel or less to replace. Love the Reflex but it is a Japanese puzzle box to work on the rear of the bike.

At some point in the world of vehicle design it became a mortal sin to leave a screw head exposed.  I'm all for stylish design but the engineer in me says function should trump form when in it comes to adjustment or part access, especially in vehicles (that can leave you stranded).
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: