March 19, 2019, 08:42:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ride Report : Can Am Ryker  (Read 340 times)
EZMark
RCR
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 2
-Receive: 61

Email
« on: January 06, 2019, 01:40:29 PM »

RIDE REVIEW CAN AM RYKER.
We test rode both Can Am Rykers today, a 600 and a 900.
The first thing you notice is how spartan the bike is. No bells, no whistles. Just a small digital instrument guage and mirrors on the ends of the bars. Not even a brake lever, that's under your foot.
The second thing you notice is how incredibly low the seat is. They claim 23 inches and I believe them. The seat itself wasn't bad, but it has a lip on the back that locks you into one position. I think we'll get the accessory seat when we get Dawn's Ryker.
The bars and pegs are fully adjustable without needing any tools. Very cool feature, although Dawn and I both kept the bars at their full rearward position. I wouldn't see either of us moving them forward. We did use substantially different placement for the pegs. Even the brake lever height is adjustable with no tools.
Both Rykers are fully automatic CVT transmissions with single pedal anti-lock brakes. Both felt and steered very light. The steering is very immediate at low speeds, but it gets better as speed increases. very comfortable seating position, but your legs are splayed wide around the bodywork.
I rode the 900 first. It was pretty perky both off the line and while at speed. If you nailed it off the line it would squeal the car sized rear tire. It cruised nicely down the highway at 80 mph and would accelerate pretty smartly from 65-80. Most bikes 750 and over rev at 5000 rpm or less at 70 mph. The 900 was pulling 6000 rpm at 70. Even my 530 Tmax only does 5000 at 70 mph. Seems like it could easily pull higher gearing. You really wouldn't notice the rpm's though unless you look at the tachometer, which I did.
We took the first exit ramp and Dawn showed me that the airbox cover/front right bodywork had flown off. The piece has a 1/4 turn quick release clip that apparently had not been fastened correctly. We switched bikes and went back looking for the missing part.
The 600 was substantially slower than the 900 as I guess you would expect. No more tire squealing here. It felt overworked for this bike especially on the highway. Where the 900 cruised comfortably at 75 mph, the 600 was almost maxed out. Cranking the throttle at 60 or 65 gave you a slow gradual increase in speed as opposed to the 900 yanking the bars.
If you are riding mostly in town with the very occasional highway jaunt, the 600 would get the job done. Since we ride mostly back highways, we'll be getting the 900 for sure. The 600 is $8500, The 900 is $10,000.
Consider the 883 Sportster starts at $8700 and the 1200 Sportster starts at $11,000, so the engine upgrade is a good value. Everything else on the bikes is identical.
1 thumb up for the 600, 2 thumbs up for the 900.

Spyderist
RCR
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: '16 Can-am Spyder RT Limited SE-6, '08 Suzuki Burgman 400 w/Minitrike (better half's), '07 Honda Reflex Sport (also better half's)

Thank You
-Given: 10
-Receive: 41

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2019, 05:14:42 PM »

Nice review.

For those not on FB, Mark posted there that they did find the part that blew off.

Spyderist, formerly known as ZURG

If You Don't Ride, You Don't Know
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4mU8ZqMZPU
CelticCross
Scooter Grad Student

Bikes Owned: 2016 CanAm Spyder RTLtd

Thank You
-Given: 13
-Receive: 18

Email
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2019, 07:49:50 PM »

Thanks for the review Mark. And the 1330 gets 3 thumbs up.

CelticCross
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: The Fastest Ever Bet & Win 310cc ~ Tsunami 650cc ~ 09 TMax ~ 09 DN-01 ~ 17 Sypder RT-Limited

Thank You
-Given: 324
-Receive: 794

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2019, 12:03:39 AM »

Thanks for the review Mark. And the 1330 gets 3 thumbs up.

No 1330 with the Ryker

It's a scooterful day in the neighborhood!
EZMark
RCR
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 2
-Receive: 61

Email
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2019, 05:40:39 AM »

Nice review.
For those not on FB, Mark posted there that they did find the part that blew off.

Yes we found the part. It's about the size of a soccer ball and it's held on by a quick release 1/4 turn d-clip. Apparently someone either had the part off and didn't fasten it properly when they put it back on, or some customer in the showroom turned the clip but didn't remove the part. It took the abuse pretty well, considering it fell off at 70 mph or so. Just a few scratches. While the easy access is nice, I think we'll we'll replace the quick release with a regular bolt when we get Dawn's Ryker. Any bonehead could just walk up and flip the clip and we'd never know until it flew off on the highway.
JBCrabbypants
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 4
-Receive: 92

Email
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2019, 06:44:04 AM »

I've never been a fan of any of the Spyder machines, but I must admit that the 900 Ryker does interest me, the first three-wheeler I could seriously consider, mostly due to it's sporty performance, and cost.

I may be able to do a test ride on one at our dealership, they currently have an example of both the 900 and 600.
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: The Fastest Ever Bet & Win 310cc ~ Tsunami 650cc ~ 09 TMax ~ 09 DN-01 ~ 17 Sypder RT-Limited

Thank You
-Given: 324
-Receive: 794

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2019, 03:33:04 AM »

John, have you seen the Spyder F3's?  They are pretty cool.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: