July 23, 2019, 12:43:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Winter  (Read 551 times)
SilverBullet
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Pearl

Thank You
-Given: 391
-Receive: 197

Email
« on: January 03, 2019, 03:24:02 AM »

We've had a winter so far that is very uncharacteristic for Central Wisconsin. Its been pretty warm temps from the 20's to 30's. We have yet to have a day in the single digits. It has not been below 0, not even overnight.

We've had some snow, Not much, Haven't even used the snowblower this year yet. I saw a motorcycle go by yesterday. it was about 15 degrees. My cycles are in the shed behind the house, I could get them out tomorrow if needed because of no snow & the frozen ground. Seems every time its snowed its missed us. Snowmobilers have to go quite a bit north to use their machines. Ski hill of course is open because of man made snow. Our hot tub is still hot! 

I'm grateful for this mild winter so far. Another day without snow & cold is one more day closer to spring. & one less day to deal with it.

Its suppose to be up in the 40's this weekend. Diane & I are planning some quality time out at the camper.

How's winter treating you in your neck o da woods?

02 Gl 1800 GoldWing
89 Pacific Coast 800 
2012 Burgman 650 Burgman Trike
Skutorr
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: 2009 Tmax 500, 2009 Majesty 400, 2007 Aprilia Mojito 150

Thank You
-Given: 3
-Receive: 39

2009 Tmax500 with OODLES of UPGRADES!

WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2019, 03:34:10 AM »

Been Chilly here, highs in the 40's & low 50's, down to freezing at night. Some snowing up the hills toward Yosemite and in Yosemite. Got a week of rain coming that should blanket the mountains with heavy snow and drop a few inches in the local hills. Every few years it dusts us a bit...

2009 Tmax500 - Faster Yellow!
(Dr. Pulleys, HH sintered pads, Pilot Road 4 tires, GIVI AirFlo, shorty brake levers, Euro winkers, shortened OEM mirrors, custom tail tidy, MIVV exhaust, River Road luggage system, backrest extensions, adjustable LEXAN storage divider, LED storage light, power outlet)
EZMark
RCR
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 2
-Receive: 64

Email
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2019, 05:19:23 AM »

A little too cool to ride, but it's supposed to be 60 degrees this Sunday (Jan 6th).
We're gonna ride up to Alton IL and test ride those Rykers.
Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Kymco AK550 & '12 Piaggio X10 (sold). & '08 SYM GTS (sold)

Thank You
-Given: 138
-Receive: 164

Kymco AK550

WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2019, 07:04:01 AM »

Yesterday, for about 10 minutes, a small hole in the cloud cover opened up and a patch of blue appeared. I kind'a knew the blue was still up there but it's been quite a while since we've seen any.

__
Don
bandito2
Scooter Junior Professor

Thank You
-Given: 1
-Receive: 22

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2019, 07:56:10 AM »

I posted the following on another forum where it was asked; "Who's scooting today"

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

I missed this thread yesterday (1-1-19) because I spent most of the day off line. Instead I dressed in my AlpineStars riding
suit with zip-in insulating liners, balaclava, long-johns, Dakine gloves (Yeah they're pricey ski gloves, but they are wind and
water proof... toasty warm too!) boots, FF helmet, and clothing layers. Rode my Reflex scooter to a friend's place only 8 miles
away; mostly expressway. (FIRST RIDE OF THE YEAR... WOO HOO!!!) It was only 36 F when I left with the temps forecast
to drop to about 22 F. The roads were dry and free of snow since it all got melted from the rain the day before. Stayed for a
couple hours and I'm not sure of the temperature when I left, but it was noticeably cooler and starting to snow a little bit.
Knowing that expressway traffic can have the tendency to polish the snow to a nice glossiness, I headed for home before there
would be enough snow for nice slick strips in the road to be made. Stayed toasty warm the whole time.

The year is off to a very good start here in southeast Michigan... Daytime sunlight hours are getting longer... Spring is on it's
way... (or maybe I'm just being too optimistic.)

Southeast Michigan Dark Side Rider
4 Honda Reflex scooters & a FSC600A Silverwing
Originator of the "Darkside" Honda Reflex. "Yeah dude, that IS a car tire there on the back of my scooter."
Sometimes I'm so far outside of the box, the Hubble telescope can't find me
minimac
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 52
-Receive: 106

Email
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2019, 05:48:06 PM »

I've gotten in rides 1/01 and 1/02. Not very long, because I've had a lot to do, but being a year 'rounder I ride as long as the roads are decent and the temps are above the teens. Our winter has been pretty mild (relative term) so far, with not much snow and temps between 20s-high 30s.

Walk fast...look worried.
"If you can make a girl laugh, you can make her do anything"       Marilyn Monroe
Goldwing Aspencade GL1500
Burgman Executive 650
Majesty 400 x2
Morphous 250
Greg
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 62
-Receive: 250

Don't sweat the small stuff...it's all small stuff

Email
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2019, 07:03:11 PM »

It's been a bit warmer winter up here than usual.  I think it's due to El Nino or La Nina thing.  We have more snow than usual and it's only been below zero one time when it went down to -4F one night.  I'm not complaining, but I'm getting tired of shoveling and blowing snow!!

Greg
pallettman
Scooter Senior

Thank You
-Given: 1
-Receive: 9

Email
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2019, 06:08:03 AM »

Rain!! When it quits raining, it rains some more. Mild temps, but lots and lots of rain. The weatherman says that tomorrow it is going to be sunny and mid to high 50's. Hope to get a ride in if everything around here is not flooded.

klaviator
Scooter Junior Professor

Bikes Owned: Yamaha Majesty, Kymco Super 8 150, Kymco Like 150i, Kawasaki Versys 650, Kawasaki KLR650

Thank You
-Given: 73
-Receive: 72

Email
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2019, 08:41:41 PM »

Sunny and mid 50s here tomorrow.  I'l be going for a ride

I ride, therefore I am
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: The Fastest Ever Bet & Win 310cc ~ Tsunami 650cc ~ 09 TMax ~ 09 DN-01 ~ 17 Sypder RT-Limited

Thank You
-Given: 333
-Receive: 814

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2019, 03:20:02 PM »

Very warm in the New Year.   Little to no snow however this weekend we are looking at 3-6" but then another warm up.

It's a scooterful day in the neighborhood!
SilverBullet
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Pearl

Thank You
-Given: 391
-Receive: 197

Email
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2019, 01:07:37 AM »

Up until about 2 weeks ago we still could see grass sticking through the snow. Then came the cold. Had a couple nights where it got to -22 & -27 degrees. Then its snowed & snowed & hasn't stopped snowing. There's already over a foot of snow on the roof & possibility another foot coming this evening. Gonna have to break out the roof rake this weekend!
jdbrot
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Honda Reflex Sport ABS

Thank You
-Given: 17
-Receive: 129

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2019, 01:14:37 AM »

Just raining buckets here, thinking of getting a canoe.
EZMark
RCR
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 2
-Receive: 64

Email
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2019, 04:28:15 AM »

Winter was late this year, but it got here with a vengeance.
redeye
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 128
-Receive: 184

Email
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2019, 05:24:16 AM »

Traveling many times this winter between North Carolina and Maryland, I am experiencing quite a difference in temperatures and weather. Last week I departed Maryland at 13 degrees with snow and treacherous roads, arriving in North Carolina in the mid 40s.

Years of bad habits often masquerade as 'experience'
CathyN
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: 2009 Honda Silverwing

Thank You
-Given: 31
-Receive: 104

Maxi-Scoot Rally 2017

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2019, 06:50:03 AM »

Here in Chicago the temperature has been a yo-yo.  So many temperature changes they closed part of Lake Shore Drive over the Chicago River today because of cracked beams so far they have found 2 spots.  first northbound then southbound.  Glad that is not my route to work.

* 15BAF5C7-9E14-4048-AC06-CC5DBE9F2BE3.png (1841.7 KB, 2048x1536 - viewed 17 times.)

It's just not a vacation it's a fricking adventure.
Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Kymco AK550 & '12 Piaggio X10 (sold). & '08 SYM GTS (sold)

Thank You
-Given: 138
-Receive: 164

Kymco AK550

WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2019, 01:10:30 PM »

Had good weather for the 2ed day in a row & no honey-do's to speak of so I took off and found a real live Kymco AK550 in bronze! I like it!!! One step closer.... Now all I have to do is get the together.

Next stop a new helmet! I wanted modular, dual visor, and hi-viz yellow. It only took 3 shops & they knocked off 15 without my even needing to complain about the condition! 

* IMG_20190212_130436.jpg (529.12 KB, 2289x2759 - viewed 10 times.)
Greg
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2019, 06:14:38 PM »

A tip here, for all you daring folks who like to ride when it's on the cool, even cold side.  Consider purchasing one of the electrically heated vests or jackets.  I had a First Gear heated jacket liner.  It's a non-insulated jacket consisting of two layers of nylong material with a type of flat wiring inside.  It has a plug in receptacle on the left front lower edge of the jacket to plug into the power source.  I wired the controller directly to the battery of my bike and used velcro to hold it to the tank.  The heat settings are infinite within it's range, so you can dial in whatever heat you want.  These things keep you toasty when it's cold, and simply double as a jacket liner when it's not.  I never went riding without mine.  It was worth every penny I paid for it.  The various brands are First Gear, Warm 'n' Safe, and Gerbing's.  You can even get heated pants liners and gloves, too.
JBCrabbypants
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 4
-Receive: 92

Email
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2019, 08:49:06 AM »

No light at the end of this cold-ass poop-tunnel in sight yet.

The 'fleet' is in hard hibernation...

Virginian
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: '19 Husqvarna Svartpilen, '14 Vespa 946, '14 HD Wide Glide

Thank You
-Given: 198
-Receive: 73

Email
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2019, 06:06:05 PM »

Show up on time, do your best and don't grumble about the outcome.
Greg
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2019, 07:29:37 PM »

Yep, it's winter there, for sure.
CathyN
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Maxi-Scoot Rally 2017

« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2019, 06:43:34 PM »

Nice pictures Eric.  Thanks for sharing.
Greg
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2019, 07:42:38 AM »

For all of you who are tiring of winter, tired of shoveling or blowing snow, and who cringe at the thought that there is more to come, possibly lots more, before spring, here's a bit of hope that it will eventually end.  Here's some bright color and cheer to help with the gloomy winter.

sailingskier
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: '05 Honda Silver Wing, ABS

Thank You
-Given: 114
-Receive: 68

« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2019, 08:49:06 PM »

I agree with Cathy ... really nice pictures Eric.  Makes me want to follow through with something I have been meaning to do for a while ..... that is take the pressure washer out on a sub zero day and coat the trees.  Neighbors would think I'm even stranger than they already do .... but look at the beauty of it !!

And, Greg ..... I'm not tired of winter yet ... we have had little snow here; and the snow blower hasn't been out of the shed.  (It has been keeping the Silverwing company.)   But besides your nice pictures reminding us of spring ..... the other day when returning from the ski hill, we were followed on part of the drive through town by a motorcycle.  The skiing was great and it was great to see a bike on the road too. More snow today than most of the winter.  And this "storm"  isn't turning to rain -- but only about 4 or 5 inches.

Mike
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: The Fastest Ever Bet & Win 310cc ~ Tsunami 650cc ~ 09 TMax ~ 09 DN-01 ~ 17 Sypder RT-Limited

Thank You

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2019, 11:24:03 PM »

Nice pictures of the icing, Eric.  Ice is pretty but ugh!

I think we are turning the corner here in St. Louis (fingers crossed)

We had ice/snow/rain yesterday and hopefully that's the last of it!  Looking at the long range forecast, it shows no day time temps under 35 degrees :-)
Greg
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2019, 03:44:59 AM »

I agree with Cathy ... really nice pictures Eric.  Makes me want to follow through with something I have been meaning to do for a while ..... that is take the pressure washer out on a sub zero day and coat the trees.  Neighbors would think I'm even stranger than they already do .... but look at the beauty of it !!

And, Greg ..... I'm not tired of winter yet ... we have had little snow here; and the snow blower hasn't been out of the shed.  (It has been keeping the Silverwing company.)   But besides your nice pictures reminding us of spring ..... the other day when returning from the ski hill, we were followed on part of the drive through town by a motorcycle.  The skiing was great and it was great to see a bike on the road too. More snow today than most of the winter.  And this "storm"  isn't turning to rain -- but only about 4 or 5 inches.

Mike

We were having a fairly mild winter here for awhile, then the temperatures took a nosedive and it got cold.  Then it decided to snow.  But typically, we don't get all that much snow until January.  In February we usually get a couple good dumps of snow, after which we get some nice warm weather, then another stretch of winter weather.  March is the swing month when temperatures begin to moderate, and we almost always get a huge dump of snow.  Then in late March we see the end of Ol' Man Winter once again.  Motorcycling season starts in April up here.

I kind of envy you, not having a lot of snow.  The ideal thing would be if it only snowed in the hills and mountains so all of you can go skiing, and the rest could ride.  LOL. . Yeah, good that it doesn't turn to rain.  We've had a bunch of that this winter, and the results on the road during the daily commute have been spectacular.
CathyN
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Maxi-Scoot Rally 2017

« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2019, 06:33:11 AM »

We had ice/snow/rain yesterday and hopefully that's the last of it!  Looking at the long range forecast, it shows no day time temps under 35 degrees :-)

I can only wish

* E4206512-8274-441A-A334-D4DFBE8BFBE3.jpeg (2524.15 KB, 4032x3024 - viewed 8 times.)
minimac
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 52
-Receive: 106

Email
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2019, 03:35:09 PM »

That forecast looks similar to mine. We've had a relatively mild, but cold, winter here on the southern shore of Lake Ontario.  Only 106" of snow so far!
Virginian
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: '19 Husqvarna Svartpilen, '14 Vespa 946, '14 HD Wide Glide

Thank You
-Given: 198
-Receive: 73

Email
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2019, 05:56:33 PM »

My neighbor has a bonfire party every winter and it was 18*F out this evening. This bonfire was roughly 25' wide and the heat coming off of it would melt your eyebrows!

He uses a Bobcat to load whole logs on. I think I'll stick with my fireplace...
Greg
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2019, 07:26:21 PM »

That bonfire looks like fun, but there's no getting close to it.  I wonder if they needed a permit for a fire of that size.
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2019, 01:23:52 AM »

LOL LIARS!!!!!!!!!!!

Tomorrow freezing rain sleet during rush hour.  This weekend several inches of snow predicted.    UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: