January 21, 2019, 11:55:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Good Samaritan Pursuit ?  (Read 97 times)
Spyderist
RCR
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: '16 Can-am Spyder RT Limited SE-6, '08 Suzuki Burgman 400 w/Minitrike (better half's), '07 Honda Reflex Sport (also better half's)

Thank You
-Given: 10
-Receive: 40

« on: December 13, 2018, 03:06:39 AM »

Not sure what to say about this. He had plate # and video. But what if car was stolen? If driver was under influence, would he still be when found? Law enforcement didn't seem responsive. Of course they'd say don't do this so maybe they didn't want to encourage him. And we can't hear what they're telling him. A real conundrum.

Hopefully you don't have to be on Facebook to view.

https://www.facebook.com/917789681674717/videos/277397599550669/

Spyderist, formerly known as ZURG

If You Don't Ride, You Don't Know
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4mU8ZqMZPU
Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: '12 Piaggio X10 350 Exec. & '08 SYM GTS (sold)

Thank You
-Given: 104
-Receive: 153

Evening Light

WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2018, 07:56:24 AM »

Kudos but where were the cops in all this?

__
Don
bandito2
Scooter Junior Professor

Thank You
-Given: 1
-Receive: 21

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2018, 03:38:20 PM »

Kudos but where were the cops in all this?

Dunkin Donuts, Krispy Kreme or Tim Hortons maybe?

Southeast Michigan Dark Side Rider
4 Honda Reflex scooters & a FSC600A Silverwing
Originator of the "Darkside" Honda Reflex. "Yeah dude, that IS a car tire there on the back of my scooter."
Sometimes I'm so far outside of the box, the Hubble telescope can't find me
jdbrot
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Honda Reflex Sport ABS

Thank You
-Given: 13
-Receive: 105

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2018, 04:11:25 PM »

While the biker did what he felt compelled to do his video also documented lots of traffic offenses on his part. Hopefully he is not found to be responsible for his own actions. However if I was a victim this guy would be my hero.
Spyderist
RCR
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: '16 Can-am Spyder RT Limited SE-6, '08 Suzuki Burgman 400 w/Minitrike (better half's), '07 Honda Reflex Sport (also better half's)

Thank You
-Given: 10
-Receive: 40

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2018, 05:27:22 PM »

While the biker did what he felt compelled to do his video also documented lots of traffic offenses on his part. Hopefully he is not found to be responsible for his own actions. However if I was a victim this guy would be my hero.
I suspect it's much like the occasional surveillance cam video we see on TV where a clerk and/or customers take on and overpower an armed robber.  Authorities will always say you shouldn't do this but I suspect that they secretly root for those who do.  Certainly no way he'd ever be convicted by a jury of his peers.

The fact that the driver obviously knew he was being followed probably contributed to some of his violations, e.g., running red lights - but at least he stopped & looked first.  Still, that part of this pursuit is troublesome as it raises the "when is pursuit justified" question.

The other thing that caused me to wince is when the rider (on more than one occasion) remarked that he was pursuing a hit and run driver.  I get that the adrenaline rush might have influenced his choice of words but I suspect he might have been better off to say he was FOLLOWING a hit and run driver.

Lastly, is it just me or did the guy in the pickup actually look like he was trying to cut the rider off when he passed on the right?
Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: '12 Piaggio X10 350 Exec. & '08 SYM GTS (sold)

Thank You
-Given: 104
-Receive: 153

Evening Light

WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2018, 08:32:11 PM »

Lastly, is it just me or did the guy in the pickup actually look like he was trying to cut the rider off when he passed on the right?

Yea, I saw that too & cringed. I suspect that the driver was reflexing to the right as if he was being passed by an emergency vehicle.

I can't say I've never passed on the right but it's the #1 maneuver to avoid.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: