June 20, 2019, 07:59:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: After the Storm  (Read 253 times)
Greg
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 62
-Receive: 249

Don't sweat the small stuff...it's all small stuff

Email
« on: December 10, 2018, 06:40:42 PM »

We've had some strange winter weather up here this year.  First September was unusually nice and sunny, then October was unusually warm, with temps in the 50's, then much the same in November until the end of November when we had a snowfall, then an ice storm, then warm temperatures again.  Then a couple days ago it decided to snow again and we got about 4 inches of the white stuff.  This is a shot out our back door.  Note how low the sun is on the horizon at around 10:45 AM.  Taken with my iPhone 8 Plus.

Greg
CelticCross
Scooter Grad Student

Bikes Owned: 2016 CanAm Spyder RTLtd

Thank You
-Given: 14
-Receive: 22

Email
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2018, 09:40:34 PM »

I don’t envy you with the limited amount of daylight you get in the winter but you probably don’t get any less sun in the winter than we do here in northern Ohio. Like the picture by the way.

Last year, I was still riding at this time. Winter arrived early this year (first week of November) and temps have been 10-15 degrees below normal. Very little snow though having gotten ~5in while projected to have more than 20in by now.

CelticCross
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: The Fastest Ever Bet & Win 310cc ~ Tsunami 650cc ~ 09 TMax ~ 09 DN-01 ~ 17 Sypder RT-Limited

Thank You
-Given: 327
-Receive: 811

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2018, 10:32:01 PM »

Beautiful shot!

It's a scooterful day in the neighborhood!
Greg
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2018, 10:59:08 PM »

It's always beautiful when the sun comes out after a snow storm.
Greg
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2018, 11:00:58 PM »

I don’t envy you with the limited amount of daylight you get in the winter but you probably don’t get any less sun in the winter than we do here in northern Ohio. Like the picture by the way.

Last year, I was still riding at this time. Winter arrived early this year (first week of November) and temps have been 10-15 degrees below normal. Very little snow though having gotten ~5in while projected to have more than 20in by now.

While we really love the extended daylight hours in the summer here, we just appreciate what daylight we have in the winter.  Right now I'm looking at it from the point of view that it's just a few days more and then the days start getting longer.
Pastor Ron
Pastor Ron
Scooter Freshman

Bikes Owned: Honda 100, 350, 500, 750, Burgman 400, 1100 V Star

Thank You
-Given: 0
-Receive: 15

Email
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2018, 11:50:30 PM »

Nice picture, we received 18" between Sat. and Sun. night. Alot for here.

2012 Silver Wing GT3 trike kit, Givi Air Flow, E-52 top case, leg visors, Corbin seat, mirror extenders.
Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Kymco AK550 & '12 Piaggio X10 (sold). & '08 SYM GTS (sold)

Thank You
-Given: 134
-Receive: 162

Kymco AK550

WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2018, 08:04:46 AM »

Nice photo but you can keep the snow.

__
Don
Greg
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2018, 07:53:38 PM »

Nice photo but you can keep the snow.

Heh, heh!!
Greg
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2018, 07:54:17 PM »

Nice picture, we received 18" between Sat. and Sun. night. Alot for here.

I can't remember the last time we got that much snow in one dump.
Yellow Jacket
Scooter Grad Student

Bikes Owned: 106, 10 scooters, BV250 & '90 Elite 250, sold Kymco GTi 300 currently

Thank You
-Given: 15

Email
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2018, 01:49:33 AM »

Here's a picture I took early in our most recent snowstorm. We got almost our yearly average over a 2 day span.

No tire tracks in my subdivision for 36 hours.

Kymco GTi 300 and  Honda Elite 150 + 11 others in the past.
Greg
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2018, 05:59:07 AM »

Here's a picture I took early in our most recent snowstorm. We got almost our yearly average over a 2 day span.

No tire tracks in my subdivision for 36 hours.

I like that first shot.  Really grabs you the way that tree is highlighted.
SilverBullet
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Pearl

Thank You
-Given: 389
-Receive: 196

Email
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2018, 11:57:50 PM »

Nice picture! Mild winter here so far with very little snow.

02 Gl 1800 GoldWing
89 Pacific Coast 800 
2012 Burgman 650 Burgman Trike
Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Kymco AK550

WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2018, 08:01:27 AM »

How about some warning!!! You know, "The following images could be disturbing!"

Bit I'm with Greg, the shot of the tree is good!
Yellow Jacket
Scooter Grad Student

Bikes Owned: 106, 10 scooters, BV250 & '90 Elite 250, sold Kymco GTi 300 currently

Thank You
-Given: 15

Email
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2018, 05:57:27 PM »

Thanks for the kind words folks. I'm not much of a photographer, just point and shoot. Just like blind pigs and acorns, if you take lots of pictures some should turn out pretty good. Actually, my wife should get the credit for the tree picture. Just before going to bed she looked out our back door and told me to come and have a look. I went out in the snow wearing bedroom slippers to get that shot.
Greg
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2018, 06:51:11 PM »

I am by no means a professional level photographer, but I love photography and taking pictures.  I've been taking pictures since I got my first SLR camera in 1967, but almost exclusively for my own enjoyment, and sometimes I like to share a nice shot.  Over the years I've found that there are basically two types of photographers--planners and opportunists.  I tend to be the latter, but on occasion the former.  But I've also come to realize that sometimes one comes upon an opportunity and you may only have moments to grab a shot or lose it.  While I'd rather plan a shot, set up my gear and take a picture, often it's more the opportunity that presents itself.

It's said, by those who deem themselves among the elite of photography (hobbyists who think they're really good, mostly) that a cellphone camera isn't really a camera, and that an image taken with a cellphone camera cannot be called a photograph, but rather a simple snapshot.  I have to disagree with this elitism.  While a cellphone camera may not be as technologically advanced with tons of features and controls as a dedicated camera, they are capable of taking some nice images.  While I wouldn't blow up an iPhone photo to a 24x30 print to hang on the wall, the classic 8x10 would look nice.

I say all this because so many of us take lots of pictures with our smart phones, and I really appreciate all of them.  I appreciate them because people share their photos with others as an extension of themselves and their experiences.  Granted, most of them are not of commercial sales quality, but that's not the point, is it?  I'm interested in what you all are doing or have done.  It's me experiencing your experiences, and you all, mine.  Who cares if a photo isn't technically, aesthetically, or artistically perfect?  I, like most of you all, am interested in preserving a moment, a scene, etc.  So I will never "diss" someone's cellphone photo.  Besides, that's the way photography is going, anyway.  I suspect that in a few years, "big" cameras will be in the minority.

Anyway, I suppose this is a bit of a rant.  Or not.  It was a long post, in any case.  You all just keep the photos coming.  Besides, I don't ride anymore, so I get to share your riding adventures.
Greg
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2018, 07:00:14 PM »

Thanks for the kind words folks. I'm not much of a photographer, just point and shoot. Just like blind pigs and acorns, if you take lots of pictures some should turn out pretty good. Actually, my wife should get the credit for the tree picture. Just before going to bed she looked out our back door and told me to come and have a look. I went out in the snow wearing bedroom slippers to get that shot.

Don't shortchange yourself.  You may not go out with a $3000.00 Nikon camera and an assortment of fancy lenses, but you use what you have.  There is a saying among photographers that says, "The best camera is the one you have in your hand." No such thing as "just a snapshooter.". Not everyone wants or can afford high end cameras and lenses.  My brother is a pretty talented photographer and for years used a Nikon film camera, then an upper end Nikon DSLR camera with a couple lenses.  He has since gotten rid of his cameras and lenses and uses his iPhone camera exclusively.  I am seriously considering getting rid of all my camera gear and just getting a good pocketable compact camera.  I'm just not that serious a photographer to really justify having a bunch of expensive gear I rarely use, regardless of how good the images are.
Greg
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2018, 07:03:41 PM »

So I've gone on a bit about cellphone camera photos, a bit defensively, I suppose.  So here's one I took last winter at Portage Lake, south of Anchorage about 45 miles.  Shot with my iPhone.

What makes this one a not very good photo is the big shadow in the foreground.  Unfortunately, there was nothing I could do about that, and you can't zoom a cellphone camera out to at least reduce that shadow without the image becoming noisy/grainy/fuzzy.  That's just the nature of cellphone cameras.  The zoom is all digital rather than optical.

Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Kymco AK550

WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2018, 08:23:18 PM »

I don't know if I've told this story here before or not but here goes.

Years ago (back during the filmage) a National Geographic photographer flew into town to get a photo of the Parthenon. He hired a friend of mine (a pro) to carry his bag & extra camera gear. The guy took about 20 rolls of film within an hour and a half of the building (36x20=780) paid my friend, hopped on a plane and flew out that evening. If 16,000 air miles, 780 exposures, and an hour and a half for one photo makes you a "pro" I'll stick to my having fun making pictures.

Yes, I used to work for money. Weddings, baptisms, and a few parties. I quit. I didn't like doing what I had to do to make money and I couldn't make money doing what I liked. Now, I just do what I like, when I like, and, if I've got the shots, I make a photo calendars every year for friends, give some framed shots away, and post some on the interweb for others to enjoy.

The photo of the tree under the light is a great shot! It would have been great if it was taken with a pin-hole in a shoebox or a $10,000 Hasselblad. Now, all you have to go is print it up, stick it in a little frame, and get a friend to give you $5 for it and, SHAZAM! you're a pro!  

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: