March 21, 2019, 01:25:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to get an adrenaline rush watching an idiot in traffic  (Read 478 times)
klaviator
Scooter Grad Student

Bikes Owned: Yamaha Majesty, Kymco Super 8 150, Kawasaki Versys 650, Kawasaki KLR650

Thank You
-Given: 61
-Receive: 59

Email
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2018, 06:01:53 PM »

The other thought that comes mind watching this ... this guy is not just trusting his life to his own skills, but also to the likelihood of everyone else on/near the road to do as he expects them to do.  The laws of statistics suggest that this eventually will not be the case.

Anyone who rides in traffic does this to some extent.  He just left less room for error than most of us would be comfortable with.

I ride, therefore I am
klaviator
Scooter Grad Student

Bikes Owned: Yamaha Majesty, Kymco Super 8 150, Kawasaki Versys 650, Kawasaki KLR650

Thank You
-Given: 61
-Receive: 59

Email
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2018, 06:04:14 PM »

The other thought that comes mind watching this ... this guy is not just trusting his life to his own skills, but also to the likelihood of everyone else on/near the road to do as he expects them to do.  The laws of statistics suggest that this eventually will not be the case.

That's what scares me about lane filtering... the other guy.

You have to worry about the other guy whether you filter or not.  One of the big issues with filtering is that except in California, U. S. drivers are not used to it.  In most of the rest of the world they are.
jdbrot
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Honda Reflex Sport ABS

Thank You
-Given: 13
-Receive: 114

« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2018, 06:20:08 PM »

I commuted in heavy urban traffic daily for 12 years and never felt the need to go the wrong way on major busy streets and cut across three lanes of traffic to go left. Just seems wreckless and indicates that the rider is only concerned with making time at the expense of others.
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: The Fastest Ever Bet & Win 310cc ~ Tsunami 650cc ~ 09 TMax ~ 09 DN-01 ~ 17 Sypder RT-Limited

Thank You
-Given: 324
-Receive: 794

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2018, 09:36:29 PM »

I commuted in heavy urban traffic daily for 12 years and never felt the need to go the wrong way on major busy streets and cut across three lanes of traffic to go left. Just seems wreckless and indicates that the rider is only concerned with making time at the expense of others.

Exactly...

It's a scooterful day in the neighborhood!
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: The Fastest Ever Bet & Win 310cc ~ Tsunami 650cc ~ 09 TMax ~ 09 DN-01 ~ 17 Sypder RT-Limited

Thank You
-Given: 324
-Receive: 794

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2018, 09:37:53 PM »

That's what scares me about lane filtering... the other guy.

You have to worry about the other guy whether you filter or not.  One of the big issues with filtering is that except in California, U. S. drivers are not used to it.  In most of the rest of the world they are.

Every time I get on my bike the thought runs though my head: Someone will try to kill me today.  Riding a bike made me become a super defense rider/driver.
Spyderist
RCR
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: '16 Can-am Spyder RT Limited SE-6, '08 Suzuki Burgman 400 w/Minitrike (better half's), '07 Honda Reflex Sport (also better half's)

Thank You
-Given: 10
-Receive: 41

« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2018, 06:47:29 PM »

I've read lots of pro & con articles about lane filtering but have yet to see an authoritative answer regards the legal aspect of right of way.  Who's at fault when there's a problem is often determined by whether or not the involved vehicles violated any regulations, one of which is to maintain your lane.  Filtering raises the issue of who has the right-of-way within a lane.  If a filterer is straddling my lane and the next lane, is the portion he has a right to in my lane, the next lane, both lanes?  Does he have the right to force me to the side of my lane away from him?  Maybe he has no right, the risk is totally his.  It strikes me that this has not been addressed definitively in regulations ... the best I've seen is that a vehicle can't "purposely" do something to obstruct a filterer.  We've all seen drivers who routinely hug the right or left edge of their lane.  If they do it all the time as it's their "style", does that constitute "obstruction"?  It strikes me that filtering, without this clearly defined, is problematic from a legal perspective.  Am I no longer entitled to use my lane without restriction?  If not, what are the rules?  Apparently the powers that be believe we'll all just play nice ... or work it out in court when we don't (perhaps good for lawyers, perhaps not anyone else).

And what about the reverse situation?  A rider is in the left third of his lane (the preferred "safe" position) and a subcompact pulls up beside him on the right in his lane.  If a two wheeler can initiate lane sharing, why can't a four wheeler?

Spyderist, formerly known as ZURG

If You Don't Ride, You Don't Know
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4mU8ZqMZPU
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: