June 20, 2019, 07:39:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to get an adrenaline rush watching an idiot in traffic  (Read 525 times)
jdbrot
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Honda Reflex Sport ABS

Thank You
-Given: 17
-Receive: 126

« on: December 04, 2018, 03:41:01 PM »

An unbelievably scary Burgman 650 in heavy traffic: https://youtu.be/bAbQO5QtN-o . While the rider is an idiot I am amazed at how many stupid moves he does in a single ride.
Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Kymco AK550 & '12 Piaggio X10 (sold). & '08 SYM GTS (sold)

Thank You
-Given: 134
-Receive: 162

Kymco AK550

WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2018, 04:20:55 PM »

Welcome to my world!
I'll admit the dude was showing off & going beyond the "norm" but.....

__
Don
Spyderist
RCR
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: '16 Can-am Spyder RT Limited SE-6, '08 Suzuki Burgman 400 w/Tow-Pac (better half's), '07 Honda Reflex Sport (also better half's)

Thank You
-Given: 10
-Receive: 41

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2018, 04:35:20 PM »

There are old riders, and there are bold riders ... but there are few old, bold riders.
He did stop for pedestrians ... once.

Spyderist, formerly known as ZURG

If You Don't Ride, You Don't Know
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4mU8ZqMZPU
Greg
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 62
-Receive: 249

Don't sweat the small stuff...it's all small stuff

Email
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2018, 06:03:29 PM »

Unbelievably stupid and ultra aggressive riding.  Gotta wonder what this guy was on.  I couldn't tell if it was riding skill to be able to do all that or a simple case of God looking out after drunks and fools.  At least fools.  This guy has no business riding a bike.  I can't imagine what he'd be like driving a car.

Greg
Cube
Scooter Freshman

Bikes Owned: 2007 Silver Wing, 2018 PCX150, 2000 BMW R1100R

Thank You
-Given: 6
-Receive: 8

Email
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2018, 07:16:27 PM »

Won't lie, I was rooting for the cars in a few places.  I wonder how bad his bike looks and how many times he's been down?
klaviator
Scooter Grad Student

Bikes Owned: Yamaha Majesty, Kymco Super 8 150, Kymco Like 150i, Kawasaki Versys 650, Kawasaki KLR650

Thank You
-Given: 73
-Receive: 66

Email
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2018, 07:36:06 PM »

He blew right past a cop car just past the 2 minute mark!

He may not be very smart but he has some good riding skills to be able to do all that without crashing.  I seriously doubt he rides like that all the time, he wouldn't still be riding if he did.  Maybe he was late for a really hot date

Anyone know what he said at the end?

I ride, therefore I am
Cube
Scooter Freshman

Thank You

Email
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2018, 09:26:37 PM »

part of it was info on the bike, that's as much as I understood
Greg
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2018, 02:42:05 AM »

I don't speak Italian (or whatever that was) but my loose translation might be, "Holy crap!  I actually made it in one piece.  Time to check my shorts."

That guy is a full blown idiot, for sure.  I couldn't decide whether that was some superb riding skill or just plain dumb luck he did kill someone or get killed.  Or both.
bandito2
Scooter Junior Professor

Thank You
-Given: 1
-Receive: 22

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2018, 05:10:57 AM »

Kind of reminds me of some other youtube idiot that would trespass onto high rent apartment property and jump off from something
like the 7th or 8th floor into the water and just barely clearing the docks that are right next to the building. I just wonder how many
more idiots with their gopro cameras end up filming their own death. We don't get to see them because I don't think youtube would
allow such closeup graphic videos. I have seen other videos where people have been killed, but the videos are always from a distance
and identifying the victim positively is not possible. I can't believe that continuing such behavior would not eventually end tragically.

It's bad to say, but if the guy thinks he can continue to ride like that without consequences, then the best thing that could happen for him
(and any other potential collateral victims) would be that he comes to a point where he can no longer ride... by whatever circumstances
that makes that so.... He doesn't need to die, (nor anyone else around him) he just needs to be made to stop riding like that in public.

Southeast Michigan Dark Side Rider
4 Honda Reflex scooters & a FSC600A Silverwing
Originator of the "Darkside" Honda Reflex. "Yeah dude, that IS a car tire there on the back of my scooter."
Sometimes I'm so far outside of the box, the Hubble telescope can't find me
Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Kymco AK550

WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2018, 07:24:35 AM »

Honest, folks, he was pushing the envelope of "normal" during that ride but he was still inside the envelope!

Here along the Mediterranean we drive offensively and we get away with it because everybody's doing it. Scooters, bikes, and pedestrians are EXPECTED to be just about anywhere and everywhere. Lane splitting, riding along the sidewalk, passing on the right, are all common maneuvers and drivers are looking out for it.

While I've ridden like this in emergencies I tend not to push it this hard.
jdbrot
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Honda Reflex Sport ABS

Thank You
-Given: 17
-Receive: 126

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2018, 02:11:28 PM »

Too stressful for me, glad the traffic is easier to deal with near me.
klaviator
Scooter Grad Student

Bikes Owned: Yamaha Majesty, Kymco Super 8 150, Kymco Like 150i, Kawasaki Versys 650, Kawasaki KLR650

Thank You

Email
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2018, 05:22:16 PM »

Honest, folks, he was pushing the envelope of "normal" during that ride but he was still inside the envelope!

Here along the Mediterranean we drive offensively and we get away with it because everybody's doing it. Scooters, bikes, and pedestrians are EXPECTED to be just about anywhere and everywhere. Lane splitting, riding along the sidewalk, passing on the right, are all common maneuvers and drivers are looking out for it.

While I've ridden like this in emergencies I tend not to push it this hard.

Most Americans are not used to the aggressive driving/riding that is common in many countries.  While he was pushing it more than I would be willing to, I didn't think it was as bad as many of the people on this forum seem to think.  Still, he was passing all the other bikes in this video.  I still think that he was riding so close to the edge of the envelope that an accident would be likely if he did it on a regular basis.  

Keep in mind that everyone has a perspective based on their personal experience.  His ride reminded me of a ride I took in a taxi in Korea many years ago.  

While I would not ride as hard as the guy in the video I think I would enjoy the more aggressive riding that is normal in many European countries.  

Let me add something more.  In order to ride so close to the edge of the envelope you have to be hyper focused.  I have many rides where I pushed pretty hard and near the edge of the envelope.  It's pretty exhilerating doing it but the big difference between this rider and me is that I did it on twisty country roads, not in city traffic.  My personal experience is that I have fewer close calls (and accidents) when I pushing it and really focused than when I'm taking it easy and I'm not nearly as focused on my riding.

As I get older I tend to stay further away from the edge of the envelope but I still remember my younger days. 
Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Kymco AK550

WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2018, 06:09:29 PM »

The next Wednesday I head "over the mountain" to the weekly Old Farts Meeting I'll strap on the GoPro and bring y'all along. This is the only day of the week where I have to ride in commuter traffic and, even though I'm going against the maximum flow it still gets busy now & again.
Cube
Scooter Freshman

Thank You

Email
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2018, 06:58:38 PM »

Here along the Mediterranean we drive offensively and we get away with it because everybody's doing it.

"Everyone's doing it" doesn't mean it's a good idea (just ask a lemming).
klaviator
Scooter Grad Student

Thank You

Email
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2018, 08:05:41 PM »

Here along the Mediterranean we drive offensively and we get away with it because everybody's doing it.

"Everyone's doing it" doesn't mean it's a good idea (just ask a lemming).

Doesn't mean it isn't either.

Keep in mind that according to conventional wisdom and most people's opinion we are all idiots for riding our "dangerous" motorcycles and scooters anyway.  Where is the line between OK and too dangerous or stupid?  Who makes that decision?  Maybe that guy in the video is a really skilled rider and wasn't as close to the edge as it looked.  Sometimes the video camera distorts things as well.  I can say that it would be stupid for me to ride that aggressively in traffic but then I know I don't have the experience in traffic that this guy probably has.

Or maybe this guy was right at the edge and went out and crashed on his next ride.  We really don't know for sure.  I know I have seen other videos of riding in traffic that looked as "exciting" as this one so he's not the only one doing it.  

Also keep in mind that he blew by a cop near the beginning of the video and wasn't chased down and given a ticket.  It's a different environment there. I'm sure if any of us tried that in any U.S. city that cop would have gone after us or maybe radioed ahead for a road block.

Personally I'd rather deal with aggressive European traffic than the brain dead, texting, zombie like drivers we have here.
Cube
Scooter Freshman

Thank You

Email
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2018, 08:37:42 PM »

The "everyone does it" is just a straw man and I find it very hard to believe anyone on this forum actually thinks this is a good riding example - and if you do, please post your vids of you riding like this (or just skip the middle man and submit them to Moto Madness or Dirtbike Lunatic for their next compilation).

I'd bet he was showing off because he was making a video... plenty of other bikes shown and while they were filtering and splitting the only one we see riding into oncoming traffic on the wrong side of a lane divider is this guy.  The cop example doesn't hold up either, there's no way that cop could have caught him in that traffic in a car.  Even US cops don't always bother with trying to catch a bike.
Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Kymco AK550

WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2018, 09:05:47 PM »

@Cube: If you'll go back and read my 1st post and, even, my subsiquent posts you'll see that I said he was pushing it past the "norm".

Now, about your statement about "everyone's doing it". Yes, we're all doing it and, because of that, drivers are way, way more aware of bikes that they are in the US! I even believe that it's safer riding over here in what seems to be insanity to y'all just because they know and expect us to be riding somewhat like this.
Cube
Scooter Freshman

Thank You

Email
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2018, 10:19:22 PM »

IIRC, driving is a privilege over there while people seem to treat it as a right in the States - which is why I think things are so bad over here. 

I really don't have an issue with splitting and filtering at low speeds (especially in standstill/gridlock traffic), it's once you get close to highway speeds or you're far exceeding traffic speeds that it's a problem IMO, if only because the safety factor gets awfully thin.  I enjoy a spirited ride as much as the next guy, I just try to draw the line short of the point when 'spirited ride' becomes 'I'm now a spirit - ride'.  lol
bandito2
Scooter Junior Professor

Thank You

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2018, 07:40:30 AM »

@Cube: If you'll go back and read my 1st post and, even, my subsiquent posts you'll see that I said he was pushing it past the "norm".

Now, about your statement about "everyone's doing it". Yes, we're all doing it and, because of that, drivers are way, way more aware of bikes that they are in the US! I even believe that it's safer riding over here in what seems to be insanity to y'all just because they know and expect us to be riding somewhat like this.

Well I don't know that for sure, but there are also a lot of drivers that apparently are not "way, way" as aware... George Clooney could tell you that from personal experience.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8c6mxQl0dE
EZMark
RCR
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 2
-Receive: 63

Email
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2018, 10:20:42 AM »

Bad Judgement.
Mad Skills.
Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Kymco AK550

WWW Email
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2018, 04:46:34 PM »

Well I don't know that for sure, but there are also a lot of drivers that apparently are not "way, way" as aware... George Clooney could tell you that from personal experience.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8c6mxQl0dE

We've watched that one quite a few times and....
The car that started across the lane stops
The 1st motorcycle weaves past it.
The 2ed motorcycle doesn't even appear to break until it plows into the car.

Agree, the car set the senaro up but GC could have avoided the accident. There's not enough footage to tell the whole story so there's no way to know, for certain, the whole story but one rider avoided the car with less time to react.
Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Kymco AK550

WWW Email
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2018, 04:47:45 PM »

Bad Judgement.
Mad Skills.

No doubt! If there'd've been an emergency on the other end, fine but just to make a video?
Greg
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2018, 06:36:27 PM »

From a law enforcement point of view (mine--30 years in law enforcement) on the surface, this guy is an absolute menace on the streets.  Here in the U.S., if caught, he'd likely be charged with reckless driving.  Over there, likely not, but I'm sure he'd get plenty of fist shaking directed at him.

But was he wild and crazy or just a skilled rider showing off what he can do?  Hard to say.  It would appear, watching the video, that other drivers and riders didn't appear to have much reaction to his antics, even though it looked like he was on the ragged edge of disaster.  But then again, we are looking at this from a western point of view. 

Over here, we have a keen sense of safety on the roads, riding and driving sensibly, (squids on sport bikes excluded) and respecting the safety of others on the road.  Most of us...ahem...mature riders want to foster a sense of good will, rather than raising the ire of non-riders.  This kind of riding behavior would never be tolerated here in the U.S.

But looking at it from a different point of view, places are more heavily populated in Europe and in many asian countries, so one makes do with what the environment is.  So we can't really criticize this guys zany riding exhibition as being over outrageous.  It is, by our standards, but not so much in Italy.  At least it looks like somewhere in Italy.  Now, I'm not condoning his behavior, just presenting a different point of view here, but I still think that he's not only pushing the envelope, but was about to fall off the edge.  I think he was very fortunate nothing went wrong, but there were times when it looked pretty close.  I'll give him this much--he has good reaction times and his timing of maneuvers was good.  I always regarded myself as a pretty good motorcycle rider, but I'd never chance that kind of riding, because in the event of an argument with a car, the bike always loses.
bandito2
Scooter Junior Professor

Thank You

« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2018, 04:58:41 AM »

I didn't notice anyone else riding like that in that video. He may have been going with a knowledge of the
local flow and flavor of the traffic, but still, the density of vehicles was fairly heavy making the chances of
coming across an inattentive driver fairly likely... even though the actual traffic speed may have been slower
than what it appears. However, over in Asia there are more scooters mixed in with the traffic and actually
things look much, much worse there. (more scooter crashes in Asia to be seen on youtube anyway) And there
seems to be plenty of fault with both cagers and the 2 wheelers there.

Glad that things seem to be something saner here in the north/western hemisphere... I do acknowledge though
that we do have a fair share of numbskull drivers too so....
Now if something just could be done about those pesky phone texters here...
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: The Fastest Ever Bet & Win 310cc ~ Tsunami 650cc ~ 09 TMax ~ 09 DN-01 ~ 17 Sypder RT-Limited

Thank You
-Given: 327
-Receive: 811

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2018, 02:24:37 AM »

What Joan said....

It's a scooterful day in the neighborhood!
minimac
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 52
-Receive: 105

Email
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2018, 04:49:35 PM »

Sort of reminds me of trying to follow Mark and Darwin!    (just foolin' guys)

Walk fast...look worried.
"If you can make a girl laugh, you can make her do anything"       Marilyn Monroe
Goldwing Aspencade GL1500
Burgman Executive 650
Majesty 400 x2
Morphous 250
klaviator
Scooter Grad Student

Thank You

Email
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2018, 05:25:03 PM »

Sort of reminds me of trying to follow Mark and Darwin!    (just foolin' guys)

Following Mark and Darwin was fun!  No way would I try to stay with this guy in city traffic.  I wonder if this guy could stay with Mark and Darwin on a curvy mountain road.
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: The Fastest Ever Bet & Win 310cc ~ Tsunami 650cc ~ 09 TMax ~ 09 DN-01 ~ 17 Sypder RT-Limited

Thank You

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2018, 07:02:27 PM »

Few can....
Spyderist
RCR
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: '16 Can-am Spyder RT Limited SE-6, '08 Suzuki Burgman 400 w/Tow-Pac (better half's), '07 Honda Reflex Sport (also better half's)

Thank You
-Given: 10
-Receive: 41

« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2018, 05:09:51 PM »

The other thought that comes mind watching this ... this guy is not just trusting his life to his own skills, but also to the likelihood of everyone else on/near the road to do as he expects them to do.  The laws of statistics suggest that this eventually will not be the case.
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2018, 05:20:55 PM »

The other thought that comes mind watching this ... this guy is not just trusting his life to his own skills, but also to the likelihood of everyone else on/near the road to do as he expects them to do.  The laws of statistics suggest that this eventually will not be the case.

That's what scares me about lane filtering... the other guy.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: