March 23, 2019, 10:59:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Engine Break-in  (Read 175 times)
Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Kymco AK550 & '12 Piaggio X10 (sold). & '08 SYM GTS (sold)

Thank You
-Given: 114
-Receive: 157

Kymco AK550

WWW Email
« on: November 25, 2018, 08:34:50 PM »

I stumbled across this video & pretty much agree with what he found. The last engine I "broke-in" was in my '73 BMW 2002. After that (several years) I felt that things had progressed far enough that all that blather about slow and easy was old hat.

No, I don't go red line right out of the box but I attempt to ride like I expect the engine to work and ramp it up for short bursts. What he said at the end about the rest of the machine needing shake-down hold true.

https://youtu.be/xpoglovyy_8

__
Don
jdbrot
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Honda Reflex Sport ABS

Thank You
-Given: 13
-Receive: 114

« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2018, 12:10:43 AM »

When I went to see Honda Goldwings and VTX1300 assembled in Ohio they drove them straight off the line on to a dynomometer. Ran each bike to redline in every gear, slammed on the brakes and then revved to redline in reverse. Checked the lights, turn signals and then drove off the Dyno. No longer felt the need to baby the new bike. It was impressive after seeing the bike assembled from the wheels up.
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: The Fastest Ever Bet & Win 310cc ~ Tsunami 650cc ~ 09 TMax ~ 09 DN-01 ~ 17 Sypder RT-Limited

Thank You
-Given: 324
-Receive: 794

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2018, 03:05:13 PM »

Joan, I remembered your story and after that I never felt like there was a needed break in period.

It's a scooterful day in the neighborhood!
EZMark
RCR
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 2
-Receive: 61

Email
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2018, 08:00:20 PM »

Break-in discussions are like dino vs synthetic oil discussions, everyone has their opinion.
Two things I know for sure.
1) I have always done a proper break-in on every new bike I've owned and none of them ever used a drop of oil between oil changes.
2) Both my Tmax and my CTX in my garage right now insisted on a break-in period in their owners manuals.
jdbrot
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Honda Reflex Sport ABS

Thank You
-Given: 13
-Receive: 114

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2018, 09:18:44 PM »

I have always followed break in procedures but no longer stress over it.
Greg
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 61
-Receive: 244

Don't sweat the small stuff...it's all small stuff

Email
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2018, 12:38:23 AM »

I've broken in plenty new motorcycles and engines, some according to the manual and some like I intended to ride the bike.  I've never had an oil leaker, either.  My opinion, FWIW, is that if you want an engine to last a long time, break it in gently.  It'll last a long time, but the performance will likely not be tops.  If you break it in like you intend to ride it all the time, it'll still last a long time and will have top performance.  At least that's been my experience. I've never had engine issues from riding one normally right out of the crate.  So I guess each to his own as to how to properly break in an engne.  I also know that it likely won't pay dividends to take a brand new engine and thrash it like you stole it.

Greg
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: