January 21, 2019, 11:49:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Brrrrrr!!  (Read 308 times)
Greg
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 57
-Receive: 242

Don't sweat the small stuff...it's all small stuff

Email
« on: November 21, 2018, 06:51:52 PM »

I just watched the weather report on Fox News, and it looks like Thanksgiving will be a chilly one in the eastern part of the U.S. and Canada.  Bundle up, turn up the heat, but have a great Thanksgiving, all.  Stay warm!!  Caribou, ME is forecast to get down to -13 degrees F!!  That means it'll get pretty cold in Nova Scotia tonight.

Greg
CelticCross
Scooter Senior

Bikes Owned: 2016 CanAm Spyder RTLtd

Thank You
-Given: 12
-Receive: 17

Email
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2018, 10:35:58 PM »

Winter has come early to NE Ohio this year. Had expected to ride into mid December as I have been able to do the last three years we have had colder than normal temps with miserable rain 3 to 4 days a week. My hat’s off to those of you who live in milder climates and can ride all year. Thank goodness that I have the Browns and Cavs to keep me occupied . ;)

CelticCross
Greg
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2018, 06:50:55 PM »

I just watched the weather report on Fox News, and it looks like Thanksgiving will be a chilly one in the eastern part of the U.S. and Canada.  Bundle up, turn up the heat, but have a great Thanksgiving, all.  Stay warm!!  Caribou, ME is forecast to get down to -13 degrees F!!  That means it'll get pretty cold in Nova Scotia tonight.

Try to stay warm up there, Mike.
sailingskier
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: '05 Honda Silver Wing, ABS

Thank You
-Given: 112
-Receive: 63

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2018, 08:16:03 PM »

Greg,

It was cold here last night and should be tonight as well.  Not as bad as other areas near by (ie New Brunswick).  Here right now it is -10C so I think that is in the 6-8F range. The wind chill is more like -19C.   Still too cold for this early into the winter season.  My firewood supply is taking a beating as the fall had been colder than normal. We have an inch or so of snow on the ground from last night, so skiing is on the mind.  Sunday is supposed to warm to +6C, so this will be Silverwing "winterization" day.

Now time to throw another log on the fire ...

Mike
Greg
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2018, 06:39:06 PM »

Good morning, Mike.  This is the morning after the night before.  Went to bed thoroughly stuffed after Thanksgiving dinner.  Ate too much and sat around bloating for awhile, then naturally later we had to have that leftover turkey sandwich.  Whew!!  I think you folks are colder than we are.  It was in the mid 20's yesterday (fahrenheit, that is) and this mornging it's 13 degrees.  Cold, but not as cold as the entire east coast area.  Fortunately we heat with natural gas, and we're thankful we don't have to heat with wood.  We did that for several years when we lived in Palmer, before natural gas came to the area.

Today we are avoiding all the Black Friday sales, especially in Anchorage.  Has to be nightmare-type traffic, and the stores will be jammed.  Nope, staying in, staying warm and finishing cleaning up after yesterday.
minimac
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 50
-Receive: 97

Email
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2018, 08:31:50 PM »

We set a record low last night. We don't have much snow left but it's so cold, I saw a dog stuck to a fire hydrant! I'm going through riding withdrawal...:(

Walk fast...look worried.
"If you can make a girl laugh, you can make her do anything"       Marilyn Monroe
Goldwing Aspencade GL1500
Burgman Executive 650
Majesty 400 x2
Morphous 250
Greg
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2018, 04:06:24 AM »

I've seen it so cold up that you had to build a fire to warm the wood before you could burn it.
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: The Fastest Ever Bet & Win 310cc ~ Tsunami 650cc ~ 09 TMax ~ 09 DN-01 ~ 17 Sypder RT-Limited

Thank You
-Given: 319
-Receive: 782

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2018, 10:23:27 PM »

We are back in the 60's.  It's 66 as I type this.

Of course we can't take advantage as Pete is recovering from his surgery.  Hopefully this is the END of all this BS for him.

It's a scooterful day in the neighborhood!
Greg
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2018, 02:37:51 AM »

So I went out yesterday to get some pictures of the winter landscape.  We recently had some freezing frost, so the trees were covered with hoar frost.  This is near the intersection of the Glenn and Parks Hwy, about  7 miles east of our house.

It looks like a volcano is going off in the distance, but it's actually another jet contrail.  No volcanoes in the Chugach Mountains.

Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: The Fastest Ever Bet & Win 310cc ~ Tsunami 650cc ~ 09 TMax ~ 09 DN-01 ~ 17 Sypder RT-Limited

Thank You

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2018, 03:02:12 AM »

Greg, that makes cold, look really beautiful!

I got another frost flower this morning, they have been around a lot this November.

* 20181123_145824138_iOS.jpg (160.79 KB, 1089x1089 - viewed 11 times.)
Greg
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2018, 05:52:36 AM »

I've never anything like that before.  What is it exactly?  Very cool looking.
Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: '12 Piaggio X10 350 Exec. & '08 SYM GTS (sold)

Thank You
-Given: 104
-Receive: 153

Evening Light

WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2018, 08:25:59 AM »

Well, according to NASA data and one guy that's not connected to the global propaganda machine. The past couple of years has seen a drop in global temps to the tune of 0.56C. Well, read the article for yourselves.

https://www.investors.com/politics/editorials/climate-change-global-warming-earth-cooling-media-bias/?fbclid=IwAR3BztJWF2cottjbGIiHxKt4c_o_nUwr_kIN8vVUMVglLyoq55MBSUUVOAY

__
Don
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2018, 10:44:49 AM »

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frost_flower

This explains it better than I can.  I normally see only one a year if any. This year Ive seen three.
bandito2
Scooter Junior Professor

Thank You
-Given: 1
-Receive: 21

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2018, 07:48:23 AM »

This was on the hood of my Ford Ranger pick up truck one cool October morning back in 2016.
Kind of reminds me of a flower.

you can see on the right where in mere seconds the sunrise was already starting to melt it.

A little disappointed... The delicate design on the cab roof was disappearing too fast to catch a good picture in time.

Southeast Michigan Dark Side Rider
4 Honda Reflex scooters & a FSC600A Silverwing
Originator of the "Darkside" Honda Reflex. "Yeah dude, that IS a car tire there on the back of my scooter."
Sometimes I'm so far outside of the box, the Hubble telescope can't find me
jpowell692
Scooter Senior

Bikes Owned: 2007 Burgman 400, 2011 Burgman 650

Thank You
-Given: 0
-Receive: 14

468863.jpg

Email
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2018, 06:23:54 PM »

Cold weather questions. What are people's opinions on those handlebar mitts that you put over the controls. Some mornings my hands get cold even with good ski gloves. I don't  want to invest in heated grips on a Burgman 400 with about 70,000 miles.

The more the miles, the bigger the smiles.
jdbrot
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Honda Reflex Sport ABS

Thank You
-Given: 13
-Receive: 105

« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2018, 06:42:02 PM »

I have some. Very good in cold weather but you have to be careful how they fit and can be fiddly to get your hand into on the fly.
Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: '12 Piaggio X10 350 Exec. & '08 SYM GTS (sold)

Thank You
-Given: 104
-Receive: 153

Evening Light

WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2018, 07:32:09 PM »

Cold weather questions. What are people's opinions on those handlebar mitts that you put over the controls. Some mornings my hands get cold even with good ski gloves. I don't  want to invest in heated grips on a Burgman 400 with about 70,000 miles.

I've been using them for the past 4 years or so & I've found no problems with them at all. I wear a light pair of gloves as there is a bit of a draft.

This is the style I use. http://www.tucanourbano.com/eu/streamlined-neoprene-handgrip-covers-13779.html
bandito2
Scooter Junior Professor

Thank You
-Given: 1
-Receive: 21

« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2018, 08:14:02 PM »

I made a pair using real heavy duty vinyl seat covering lined with 1/4 foam rubber and headliner material.
I could pretty much ride without gloves as long as jacket sleeves filled the opening enough to stop the
drafts. Water and wind proof, light gloves only if was really cold.

Kind of naturally streamlined so it didn't push against the controls much when at speed.

Controls and switches easy to work just by feel and memory of where things are.
(don't need to look down to find the horn button, light switch, start button or kill switch
and never do that anyway when riding.)

Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2018, 09:31:22 PM »

Mike, those pictures on the truck are awesome!
jdbrot
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2018, 10:08:06 PM »

Great frost photos. I don't have many pictures with my handlebar mitts but I found one.

Greg
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2018, 05:52:58 AM »

I don't like the idea of the handlebar mounted mitts.  I think they could impede with the operation of the controls, and with the hands inside them, you can't move your hands freely.  I have a pair of Gerbings electric gloves (of course I don't use them anymore) that worked real well.  Kept my hands toasty and I wasn't impeded by having my hands inside handlebar mitts.  They were easy to wire in.  I had a temperature controller I wired into the bike, and the gloves simply plugged into the controller.  Gerbings makes good stuff.
jdbrot
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2018, 02:28:24 PM »

If the mitts fit right they don't impede the operation of any controls. They do require a little skill to put your hand back in if you are moving but since they are soft you can always grab the grip and brakes even if your hand is outside of the mitts. My mitts were made by Moose Utilities and are the Paws Gauntlet model. Heated gloves are great, heated grips too but the mitts keep the wind and rain or snow off.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: