January 22, 2019, 12:29:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Well there went my million dollars...  (Read 151 times)
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: The Fastest Ever Bet & Win 310cc ~ Tsunami 650cc ~ 09 TMax ~ 09 DN-01 ~ 17 Sypder RT-Limited

Thank You
-Given: 319
-Receive: 782

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« on: October 28, 2018, 03:15:23 PM »

It's a scooterful day in the neighborhood!
Carol
RCR
Scooter Grad Student

Bikes Owned: 07 Silverwing, 15 Tmax

Thank You
-Given: 0
-Receive: 10

Email
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2018, 04:12:12 PM »

It's weird that it's a thing.
Greg
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 57
-Receive: 242

Don't sweat the small stuff...it's all small stuff

Email
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2018, 04:45:27 PM »

Odd that that would just appear.  Scam?  Hang on to it, Maggie.  This forum is unique.

Greg
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: The Fastest Ever Bet & Win 310cc ~ Tsunami 650cc ~ 09 TMax ~ 09 DN-01 ~ 17 Sypder RT-Limited

Thank You

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2018, 04:53:53 PM »

Last year someone offered me $2,500 for Maxi-scoots.com, I obviously turned it down.   At one time I did own maxiscoots.com and sold it, this was about 7 years or so ago. I believe I sold it for about $500.

I owned various forms of St. Louis Scooter club that I sold for about $400.

Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: '12 Piaggio X10 350 Exec. & '08 SYM GTS (sold)

Thank You
-Given: 104
-Receive: 153

Evening Light

WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2018, 07:22:17 PM »

The day before I got my web address I looked to see if www.photosby.me was available. It WAS!! but by the next AM it was up for sale!

The moral is, if you think you've got a winner DO NOT go searching for it just try to buy it.

__
Don
Spyderist
RCR
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: '16 Can-am Spyder RT Limited SE-6, '08 Suzuki Burgman 400 w/Minitrike (better half's), '07 Honda Reflex Sport (also better half's)

Thank You
-Given: 10
-Receive: 40

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2018, 06:58:26 PM »

Maggie - did you sell the contents, or just the domain name of those others?  Did the buyer ever make anything of them?

Buying up common, unclaimed domain names for resale used to be a thing, but ICANN pretty much blew that business plan out of the water when they started opening up a plethora of top level names, e.g., com, net, org, et cetera.  So while you might not be able to get mysite.com, you could get mysite.org or mysite.net or ... mysite.whatever, which meant the potential profiteers had to buy tens (or more) of names to control the market of a given base name.  And the addition of even lower level names, e.g., that indicate country, language, etc. makes it that much more difficult to own all of a given base name.   So that plan has kind of morphed into owning names similar to the recognized sites in the hopes that you can get hits from folks who don't realize the difference.

You can get a "ranking" of an existing domain name based on various statistics associated with a name, and there are multiple services which will evaluate the value of your name based on those statistics.  I gather that the theory (simplified) is that the numbers of hits, unique hits (different "users"), locations of where those hits originate, etc. can be converted into an estimate of potential revenues that can be derived from advertising, forwarding to selling sites, etc.   The potential revenue a site can generate can then be converted into a value.  Had Maggie sold the site, she might've still be allowed to manage the content (and maybe be paid for doing so) but the owner would have the final say on content and, more importantly, control everything regards the ads that appeared on the site.

Spyderist, formerly known as ZURG

If You Don't Ride, You Don't Know
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4mU8ZqMZPU
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2018, 07:57:35 PM »

Steve, I did not ask this guy what his intentions were.  Last month TapaTalk made me an offer to upgrade and host the site for free while I still managed the board.  However the ads on the test board I looked at were invasive. 

For the little cost I have I prefer we have no ads.  It makes the site more enjoyable for us all, IMHO.

I know I could do more with the board and upgrade some features but I figure right now what's not broke....
Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: '12 Piaggio X10 350 Exec. & '08 SYM GTS (sold)

Thank You
-Given: 104
-Receive: 153

Evening Light

WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2018, 08:01:27 PM »

Maggie, I'm sure I'm not the only one that would chip in if push came to dollars. You only need hollar.
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2018, 08:29:41 PM »

Maggie, I'm sure I'm not the only one that would chip in if push came to dollars. You only need hollar.

All good, thanks!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: