December 11, 2018, 11:20:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Idaho, the Lowman Loop  (Read 647 times)
Greg
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 56
-Receive: 237

Don't sweat the small stuff...it's all small stuff

Email
« on: October 19, 2018, 05:23:39 PM »

The Lowman Loop (as we called it, anyway) is a 165 mile loop, consisting of riding north on Hwy 21 at the east end of Boise, to Idaho City, then another 35 miles to the community of Lowman.  Hwy 21 can be best described as looking like folded up spaghetti, and loads of fun and a challenge as well, with double switchbacks and terrain rises up to 6000 feet.  From Lowman take state route 17, also known as the Garden Valley to Lowman Road, out to Banks, a small community along Hwy 55.  This route goes along the South Fork of the Payette River and is very scenic.  In places the road is right next to the river and in others it's hundreds of feet above it.  It's probably my most favorite routes to ride in Idaho.  From Banks, Hwy 55 will take you the last 40 miles back to Boise.  This is a ride we did frequently and loved it every time.  As an alternate, or addition, one can continue on Hwy21 from Lowman to Stanley, Id, which is a lovely route with lots of nice curves and scenic vistas.  Views of the Sawtooth Mountains are amazing and intriguing.  There's not a lot in Stanley, but there is a gas station and a restaurant/gift shot across the street.  The food's not great, but it beats going hungry.  In Lowman there is a great restraunt at the south end of the bridge over the Payette River that serves up some pretty good chow.  You can't miss the big natural log building there.  It's changed hands several times over the years, but the food is always good.  If you're ever in the southern part of Idaho, this is a great day ride that shouldn't be missed.

Greg
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: The Fastest Ever Bet & Win 310cc ~ Tsunami 650cc ~ 09 TMax ~ 09 DN-01 ~ 17 Sypder RT-Limited

Thank You
-Given: 316
-Receive: 772

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2018, 10:10:52 PM »

I look this route up.  Looks fantastic!

I would love to have a Maxi Scoot Rally in Idaho!

It's a scooterful day in the neighborhood!
klaviator
Scooter Grad Student

Bikes Owned: Yamaha Majesty, Kymco Super 8 150, Kawasaki Versys 650, Kawasaki KLR650

Thank You
-Receive: 51

Email
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2018, 03:42:01 AM »

Riding Idaho is on my bucket list. 

I ride, therefore I am
Greg
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2018, 07:46:02 AM »

We never tired of riding in Idaho.  There are so many roads and routes to ride, as well as lots of great destinations.  An added benefit is that Idaho is next to eastern Oregon and Washington and access is easy.  If you like curvy mountain roads, Idaho and the Pacific Northwest should be on your bucket list.

Maggie, I think a Maxi-Scoot ralley in Idaho is a great idea.  As for where, there are a number of good locations.  The group we belonged to, UMCI (United Motorcycle Club, Int'l) has had the annual rally at the Lewis-Clark RV Park on Hwy 12, just outside of Kamiah. (pronounced Kami-eye). It's a nice RV park, with lots of great riding possibilities.  I'd suggest June for the rally because it gets hotter than Hades in July.

Another possible location would be outside of Idaho Falls in eastern Idaho.  Victor has a nice campground there and offers some great riding, and is close to Yellowstone and on the Wyoming side, Teton NP.  Great possibilities.  If it were possible, we'd love to be a part of that, even though we don't ride anymore.

If you want to know about Idaho, let me know.  In fact, you could email me at golson46@gci.net.
Cube
Scooter Freshman

Bikes Owned: 2007 Silver Wing, 2018 PCX150, 2000 BMW R1100R

Thank You
-Given: 6
-Receive: 8

Email
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2018, 08:45:25 AM »

Sounds like some great roads.  I wonder if the AZ crowd would be willing to attend a rally in ID?
AKforza
Scooter Junior Professor

Bikes Owned: 250 savage, Kawa 500 triple, Honda Forza, Triumph Tiger 800 xc

Thank You
-Given: 18
-Receive: 27

Email
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2018, 03:15:12 PM »

I'd be up for that rally

Sent from my KFAPWI using Tapatalk

Kelly
2014 Honda Forza, 2014 Tiger 800xc SE
2004 Seaswirl Striper WA HT 200 HP Merc
billg
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: 2005 Burgman 400; 2003 VTX 1300

Thank You
-Given: 161
-Receive: 203

Email
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2018, 04:24:54 AM »

Sounds like some great roads.  I wonder if the AZ crowd would be willing to attend a rally in ID?

AZ?  That's next door compared to us coming from FL.   :D
CathyN
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: 2009 Honda Silverwing

Thank You
-Given: 30
-Receive: 90

Maxi-Scoot Rally 2017

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2018, 05:13:54 AM »

I would be up for and Idaho Rally.  June would be a good month.   We were there in 2015 and loved it.  Absolutely beautiful and great roads. 

It's just not a vacation it's a fricking adventure.
minimac
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 50
-Receive: 96

Email
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2018, 02:51:29 PM »

Not me.....after having to make the run to and from Iowa more times than I like, Idaho is just too far for me -not that that would matter. June would definitely be out for me also.

Walk fast...look worried.
"If you can make a girl laugh, you can make her do anything"       Marilyn Monroe
Goldwing Aspencade GL1500
Burgman Executive 650
Majesty 400 x2
Morphous 250
CathyN
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Maxi-Scoot Rally 2017

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2018, 11:39:04 PM »

Bruce,  you need to take your time to get out there.  Enjoy the ride.  Look for museums and other quirky things you like.  Just a thought.
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: The Fastest Ever Bet & Win 310cc ~ Tsunami 650cc ~ 09 TMax ~ 09 DN-01 ~ 17 Sypder RT-Limited

Thank You

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2018, 11:58:55 PM »

Bruce,  you need to take your time to get out there.  Enjoy the ride.  Look for museums and other quirky things you like.  Just a thought.

Ride to St. Louis and trailer with us :-)
CathyN
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Maxi-Scoot Rally 2017

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2018, 05:22:04 AM »

Ride to St. Louis and trailer with us :-)

Trailering crossed my mind also.
minimac
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 50
-Receive: 96

Email
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2018, 03:33:16 PM »

What's a trailer? scooter Getting there is half the fun!
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2018, 03:54:43 PM »

What's a trailer? scooter Getting there is half the fun!

As we are getting older and with Pete's ailments it's becoming a necessity to trailer going forward.
Greg
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2018, 04:47:05 PM »

Most riders who have a love of, particularly, long distance touring, abhor the idea of (shudder) trailering their motorcycles somewhere.  I mean, being "hard core" is one thing when one is young and quickly recovers from a long day of riding,, but, as we age, such activities and riding styles change along with the changes in our bodies, and rather than extended day after day riding to get somewhere, we, and I am speaking for PeggySuz and me, anyway, prefer nice day rides, coming home not feeling totally trashed.  Trailering becomes a more attractive alternative to riding a long way to a desired destination.  We did that the last time we went to Russell's in Redding, CA to have seats made.  Turned out it was a good thing, as it ended up raining cats and dogs, and the pickup truck was definintely more pleasant than riding the bikes in the rain.

As for getting to Idaho from back East, I'd have to say that the Midwest isn't particularly stimulating to ride, given lots of straight roads and flat land, and, with such a long distance, not much fun for riding, especially if one takes the interstates, which would be the best way to cover that distance in the shortest amount of time.  I'd say, trailer the bike(s), get there in 2-3 days in the comfort of the car/truck/van, whatever, then enjoy what Idaho and other parts of the PNW have to offer without being all worn out.  Besides, you'll get there quicker than if you ride.  Just a suggestion.
jpowell692
Scooter Senior

Bikes Owned: 2007 Burgman 400, 2011 Burgman 650

Thank You
-Given: 0
-Receive: 13

468863.jpg

Email
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2018, 05:22:57 PM »

Idaho does have some fantastic riding. Never been there on a scooter but lived in Spokane WA and did a lot if bicycle riding in the western part of the state. I know having a motor will make the mountains a hell of a lot easier

The more the miles, the bigger the smiles.
klaviator
Scooter Grad Student

Bikes Owned: Yamaha Majesty, Kymco Super 8 150, Kawasaki Versys 650, Kawasaki KLR650

Thank You
-Receive: 51

Email
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2018, 09:26:25 PM »

Some of my best rides involved hauling my bike somewhere.  I got over the whole "Real men don't trailer their bikes" thing back in my 40s.  I have no interest in spending long days riding on the interstate.  Set up a rally in Idaho and I would almost certainly haul my bike vice riding it there.

I really got interested in riding Idaho from a few ride reports.  This one in particular shows some of the great roads and scenery in Idaho and surrounding states.  No scooters in the pics but the roads and scenery would be just as nice on a scooter.  The guy writing this thread is a great photographer and really captures the riding IMO:  https://advrider.com/f/threads/bwhips-phototastic-two-wheeled-adventures-thread.1050905/
Greg
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2018, 07:36:28 AM »

Some of my best rides involved hauling my bike somewhere.  I got over the whole "Real men don't trailer their bikes" thing back in my 40s.  I have no interest in spending long days riding on the interstate.  Set up a rally in Idaho and I would almost certainly haul my bike vice riding it there.

I really got interested in riding Idaho from a few ride reports.  This one in particular shows some of the great roads and scenery in Idaho and surrounding states.  No scooters in the pics but the roads and scenery would be just as nice on a scooter.  The guy writing this thread is a great photographer and really captures the riding IMO:  https://advrider.com/f/threads/bwhips-phototastic-two-wheeled-adventures-thread.1050905/

Great article and travelogue.  Other than a couple places in Montana, I've been to most of those places.  A couple come to mind, the road down to Hell's Canyon, and Dooley Mountain, especially Dooley Mountain.  It's 175 tight curves in 18 1/2 miles.  Tons of fun.  Also, the Old Spiral Hwy at Lewiston.  It's actually the original U.S. Hwy 95 until they rerouted it a bit to the east.  It's a challenging road, but we were able to really charge it on the Gold Wings.  He mentions White Bird Grade.  The current White Bird Hill is a long, somewhat steep piece of road, but the old road is quite the tight, twisty road, with tons of switchbacks.

Idaho has a lot of great roads to ride, should one get the chance.  We put in a couple hundred thousand miles there and enjoyed every one of them.  This guy showcased a lot of the best ones there.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: