November 18, 2018, 07:20:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Premature rear brake wear.  (Read 352 times)
pallettman
Scooter Senior

Thank You
-Given: 1
-Receive: 8

Email
« on: October 06, 2018, 04:33:00 AM »

I have a 13 Majesty. I just turned 15k. It was time for some new tires, so I got a set of Pirelli Diablos. I put them on this weekend. As I was putting them on, I noticed my rear rotor was really scored bad. When I checked the pads, they were worn all the way to the metal plates! I generally don't check the rear shoes as they are hard to see and I don't really use my rear brake as much as the front. The front still look like new. So I got a new rotor and put new pads on. Has anybody else had this problem? I guess I'll keep a better watch on them, but it seems 15K is way too short of a lifespan for brake shoes. The new pads I put on were EBC organic. They are much easier on rotors. They wear out faster, but I like them much better than the sintered ones. I will also give a big plus for the stock Dunlop tires. The only reason I had to replace them was the rear had a small leak that I had plugged at only 400 miles. Lately the leak had started back so I figured it was time. I still had 3mm of tread left on the rear and 5mm on the front. But they were the stock tires so were over 5 years old so it was time.

redeye
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 112
-Receive: 177

Email
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2018, 05:47:03 AM »

That does seem like too few miles for the issue you're describing. Curious if the brake pads are separating from the rotor when releasing the brake lever.

If you elevate the rear wheel (i.e. using the center stand), will the rear wheel spin easily when rotated by hand?

2008 Yamaha Morphous, 2014 Yamaha FZ-09
2004 Honda CRF150F x3, 2005 Honda CRF100F
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: The Fastest Ever Bet & Win 310cc ~ Tsunami 650cc ~ 09 TMax ~ 09 DN-01 ~ 17 Sypder RT-Limited

Thank You
-Given: 315
-Receive: 766

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2018, 02:07:12 PM »

Not brake related but tire..  don't expect to get anywhere near that with the Diablos.  One of the best sticking tires on the market but they wear out quickly.  On my small scoot, I was lucky to get 2,000 miles.  Mind you we ride a lot of chip seal roads here. 

It's a scooterful day in the neighborhood!
easlingn
Scooter Freshman

Thank You
-Given: 0
-Receive: 3

Email
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2018, 02:58:34 PM »

It sounds like you may have a caliper problem if the pads are wearing that quickly.  I agree with Maggie about the tires, I am on my 5th set of Diablos and I find I can get between 6 t0 7 thousand miles on them.  They are about as sticky an any tire on the market but wear faster than the harder compounds.

Keeping The Dirty Side Down
minimac
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 49
-Receive: 96

Email
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2018, 03:43:07 PM »

Good move, going to organic pads.  I didn't notice any appreciable difference in stopping, when I tried sintered pads on my Majesty. My Diablo tires were  great handling, but corded the rear before I got 7K miles on it-but I did ride some hard miles on Missouri chip seal roads. I'd pull the rear caliper, give it a good cleaning and greasing. It probably is gummed up with brake pad dust and is dragging a bit. BTW, if you're thinking about a belt soon, most originals are good, even after 20k. I changed mine at 25K and it was still well within spec. I thought I'd save some money and bought an aftermarket Kevlar belt. It chunked apart within 5k miles, but didn't break. It's O.E.M.s  from now on for me.

Walk fast...look worried.
"If you can make a girl laugh, you can make her do anything"       Marilyn Monroe
Goldwing Aspencade GL1500
Burgman Executive 650
Majesty 400 x2
Morphous 250
klaviator
Scooter Senior

Bikes Owned: Yamaha Majesty, Kymco Super 8 150, Kawasaki Versys 650, Kawasaki KLR650

Thank You
-Given: 52
-Receive: 49

Email
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2018, 03:49:59 PM »

At around 16K all my original brake pads are in good shape.  My original tires, not so much.  I think the OEM rear tire lasted less than 4,000 miles and the front maybe twice that.  I'd love to get even 7k out of a rear tire.  The best I've done is around 5500 miles out of a Metzler feel free.

I ride, therefore I am
pallettman
Scooter Senior

Thank You

Email
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2018, 03:32:17 AM »

OK, One reason I didn't notice anything was I usually inspect my tires around once a month. I could spin the rear tire and it was quiet with no noticeable drag. I think I probably didn't hear anything was because of my helmet. But my parking brake always worked good and did not seem to drag any. But I'm going to keep a closer eye on them from now on. As for my tires, I got a good price for the Diablo's, so thought I'd give them a try. Most likely, I'll try to find a pair of the stock Dunlops when these wear out. I'm pretty easy on tires
minimac
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 49
-Receive: 96

Email
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2018, 02:59:51 PM »

Once you try them, you'll be happy with them. The stock dunlops can't compare, IMHO.
pallettman
Scooter Senior

Thank You

Email
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2018, 07:03:33 PM »

I now have around a 100 miles on them. I've not noticed a lot of difference between the stock. But I have gone a little easy till they are broken in. But I have noticed they are not as smooth as the stock Dunlops. I don't know if it is a balance issue or what, but time will tell.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: