November 15, 2018, 10:48:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New York - Otsego Lake Sept 10-15, 2019  (Read 1008 times)
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: The Fastest Ever Bet & Win 310cc ~ Tsunami 650cc ~ 09 TMax ~ 09 DN-01 ~ 17 Sypder RT-Limited

Thank You
-Given: 315
-Receive: 763

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« on: September 12, 2018, 09:17:58 PM »

I will update obviously more later. I've found the perfect accommodations where we will all be together if you so choose.  Otherwise your on your own for finding lodging.

Dates for 2019 will be September 10-15

* Otsego Lake.jpg (133.14 KB, 1750x1200 - viewed 15 times.)

It's a scooterful day in the neighborhood!
Murf
Wind In My Hair, Bugs In My Teeth
Scooter Freshman

Bikes Owned: Honda 50, 90, 350, 750, VTX1300, SW600, BSA, Norton, BMW K100, Yamaha 175 Enduro and Vstar 1300, Harley 1945 Knuckle Head, VW trike I built.

Thank You
-Given: 2
-Receive: 17

Silver Surfer Rides Again

bemurphy22@msn.com
Email
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2018, 10:53:13 PM »

New York it is Sept 2019.  Just let us know where to book the stay.  Looks like Ill be the one with the long travel commute.

Never seen a day I cannot overcome with a smile.
easlingn
Scooter Freshman

Thank You
-Given: 0
-Receive: 3

Email
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2018, 01:08:58 AM »

Otsego Lake is only about 150 miles from me.  It is a very beautiful part of the state and lots of good riding.  I will be able to commute from home. 

Keeping The Dirty Side Down
jpowell692
Scooter Senior

Bikes Owned: 2007 Burgman 400, 2011 Burgman 650

Thank You
-Receive: 13

468863.jpg

Email
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2018, 01:27:11 AM »

A bit early to make reservations but looks like a good place to gather.

The more the miles, the bigger the smiles.
CathyN
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: 2009 Honda Silverwing

Thank You
-Given: 30
-Receive: 89

Maxi-Scoot Rally 2017

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2018, 04:06:53 AM »

I put it on my Calender.  Whoo who!!!

It's just not a vacation it's a fricking adventure.
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: The Fastest Ever Bet & Win 310cc ~ Tsunami 650cc ~ 09 TMax ~ 09 DN-01 ~ 17 Sypder RT-Limited

Thank You

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2018, 05:04:02 PM »

Don't know which night Thursday or Friday but Pete and I will for sure visit here. 

http://beardsleecastle.com/
msgtphil
Five of Five
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Current - Kwang Yang X-500, GL1100/Vetter sidecar

Thank You
-Given: 187
-Receive: 219

generic

Email
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2018, 07:32:18 PM »

I would be a bit more excited about the chosen location if New York state returned the half million dollars of federal motorcycle safety funds squandered on motorcycle 'ONLY' check points. While it's probable some other agency would have used most of the half mil for 'administrative costs' associated with printing and distributing 500 'Look Twice, Save a Live' bumper stickers, I'm still a bit ticked about discriminatory rights violations of motorbike riders. I have other issues with the state's laws but on the other hand I remember beautiful vistas through the windows of a 1979 IH Scout II and thinking some areas resembled East Tennessee as I rushed through a few times, gotta be a great place for motorbike riding.
   Ahhh, what are the chances of me surviving bathtub accidents and such another full year and I never cottoned much to most motorbike riders anyway. Yeah, I'll probably give it a shot if I can figure out how to wash ATGATT. Anyone local with access to N.Y. State outstanding warrants send me a PM.

If you stand for anything, you have fallen for something.
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2018, 08:24:50 PM »

http://www.nymstf.org/cas/

These seem to be located around NYC.  But good to make sure we are all aware this could happen!

redeye
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 112
-Receive: 177

Email
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2018, 11:57:11 PM »

I would be a bit more excited about the chosen location if New York state returned the half million dollars of federal motorcycle safety funds squandered on motorcycle 'ONLY' check points. While it's probable some other agency would have used most of the half mil for 'administrative costs' associated with printing and distributing 500 'Look Twice, Save a Live' bumper stickers, I'm still a bit ticked about discriminatory rights violations of motorbike riders. I have other issues with the state's laws but on the other hand I remember beautiful vistas through the windows of a 1979 IH Scout II and thinking some areas resembled East Tennessee as I rushed through a few times, gotta be a great place for motorbike riding.
   Ahhh, what are the chances of me surviving bathtub accidents and such another full year and I never cottoned much to most motorbike riders anyway. Yeah, I'll probably give it a shot if I can figure out how to wash ATGATT. Anyone local with access to N.Y. State outstanding warrants send me a PM.

While most of my riding over the years has been rural/suburban commuting, I recall crossing the border from Massachusetts to New Hampshire in late June several years ago and soon after encountering a rather aggressive motorcycle checkpoint. Many motorcyclists on sport bikes, cruisers, etc. were dismounting their rides at police officers' direction, shutting them off, and pushing them to the side of the road.

Although not aware of this at the time, police would easily identify motorcycles with amber/red reflectors removed and/or turn signals excessively modified. Noting an obvious issue only invited greater attention. Closer inspection might reveal license plate/registration and/or operator license issues.

** Phil, there may have been outstanding warrants involved, but they must have missed mine  and I wasn't inquiring about anyone else.

An officer signaled me (among many others) to stop in my lane of traffic and walked completely around the Morphous. He didn't quite know what to make of my ride generally, but noted all the mandated safety equipment appeared to be present and operating correctly, and sent me on my way. I don't recall him asking for my license, but wouldn't deny it having happened.

With no doubt similar check points occur in New York, I was hauling the Morphous on a trailer over the Empire State's highways. Later visits to the Hudson River valley are among my most treasured travel memories. The state has some truly stunning scenery.

2008 Yamaha Morphous, 2014 Yamaha FZ-09
2004 Honda CRF150F x3, 2005 Honda CRF100F
msgtphil
Five of Five
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Current - Kwang Yang X-500, GL1100/Vetter sidecar

Thank You
-Given: 187
-Receive: 219

generic

Email
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2018, 01:03:15 AM »

http://www.nymstf.org/cas/

These seem to be located around NYC.  But good to make sure we are all aware this could happen!

Maggie, thank you I couldn't find a date for that article but I had been led to believe the practice of conducting 'motorcycle only' checkpoints ceased following one of those rare occasions when most motorbike support groups found an issue they could agree with and hounded congress into passing legislation which now prohibits federal funding of discriminatory motorcycle checkpoints. Maybe some members local to the area know whether it is still an issue.

Upon further consideration I've concluded whatever segment of the New York State tourism industry welcomes motorbike riders shouldn't suffer so whether or not I'm around to spend a few bucks in NY will have nothing to do with this issue and I'll cease discussing it in the 2019 Maxi-Scoot Rally folder. Looking forward to cutting up the Catskills deities willing.

I will add that I have no issue with checkpoints if every vehicle is stopped or some verifiable non-discriminatory method of selection is adhered to, every fifth vehicle or such.

Steve, I had a hoot envisioning a LEO attempting to decipher a Morphous!
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2018, 01:19:08 AM »

I'm glad you brought it up, Phil to be honest :-)
sonuvabug
Scooter Senior

Thank You
-Given: 5
-Receive: 9

Email
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2018, 05:23:56 PM »

... snipped ... I had been led to believe the practice of conducting 'motorcycle only' checkpoints ceased following one of those rare occasions when most motorbike support groups found an issue they could agree with and hounded congress into passing legislation which now prohibits federal funding of discriminatory motorcycle checkpoints. Maybe some members local to the area know whether it is still an issue.

FWIW - we went for a riding long weekend near Letchworth State Park near the Genesee River about 10 years ago and saw no roadside checks of any kind on our trip there or back via Buffalo.
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2018, 06:11:49 PM »

... snipped ... I had been led to believe the practice of conducting 'motorcycle only' checkpoints ceased following one of those rare occasions when most motorbike support groups found an issue they could agree with and hounded congress into passing legislation which now prohibits federal funding of discriminatory motorcycle checkpoints. Maybe some members local to the area know whether it is still an issue.

FWIW - we went for a riding long weekend near Letchworth State Park near the Genesee River about 10 years ago and saw no roadside checks of any kind on our trip there or back via Buffalo.

Following their twitter feed it seems to be more within and around the NYC area where these checkpoints occur.

bandito2
Scooter Junior Professor

Thank You
-Receive: 19

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2018, 08:09:00 AM »

Well I know for sure now that I will be joining this gathering of shiftless characters in 2019. I camped with a small
group of IBMC (International Brotherhood of Motorcycle Campers) members way back in May 2012 at North/South
Lake campground in Haines Falls NY. (about 75 road miles or so southeast of Cooperstown) So this will be the
opportunity and excuse to revisit the area as I thought I may do some day. It is stunningly beautiful there in the
mountains and the roads were fairly nice. (but some of the roads through parts of Pennsylvania and western NY
were crap)

490 miles from here if I could take the shortcut through Canada. But since my passport is not current nor do I have
the special drivers license, it will be 130 miles further to take the US roads only route.

Southeast Michigan Dark Side Rider
4 Honda Reflex scooters & a FSC600A Silverwing
Originator of the "Darkside" Honda Reflex. "Yeah dude, that IS a car tire there on the back of my scooter."
Sometimes I'm so far outside of the box, the Hubble telescope can't find me
minimac
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 49
-Receive: 95

Email
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2018, 03:57:50 PM »

Bandito- When I was working at Fermi, it was 45 minutes faster-but really, really boring- going through Canada (at least until Hamilton), to get to WNY. Sometimes, I easily waited longer than that trying to cross the the bridges at both ends. Head to Toledo, and take Rt2-along the south shore of the lake to Cleveland. If you're not in a hurry, pick up Rt 20 outside of Erie. It continues to follow the lake through grape country, and into the Buffalo suburbs. It will continue across the state, and runs parallel to I-90.   You can jump onto I-90 at any point if you're in a hurry.
And, as far as the motorcycle checkpoints, I've lived in western and central NY all my life, and been riding here well over fifty years, and never, ever, saw a motorcycle only checkpoint, even when I used to ride with some of the gangs.

Walk fast...look worried.
"If you can make a girl laugh, you can make her do anything"       Marilyn Monroe
Goldwing Aspencade GL1500
Burgman Executive 650
Majesty 400 x2
Morphous 250
Spyderist
RCR
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: '16 Can-am Spyder RT Limited SE-6, '08 Suzuki Burgman 400 w/Minitrike (better half's), '07 Honda Reflex Sport (also better half's)

Thank You
-Given: 9
-Receive: 38

« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2018, 06:42:06 PM »

... even when I used to ride with some of the gangs.

Gangs ?

Spyderist, formerly known as ZURG

If You Don't Ride, You Don't Know
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4mU8ZqMZPU
minimac
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2018, 10:16:07 PM »

Don't worry, that was in a past life!
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2018, 04:09:32 AM »

easlingn
Scooter Freshman

Thank You
-Receive: 3

Email
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2018, 04:30:06 AM »

laugh
redeye
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 112
-Receive: 177

Email
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2018, 04:01:16 AM »

... even when I used to ride with some of the gangs.

Gangs ?

Some of these gang members may live in your neighborhoods... or in your homes...

Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2018, 03:30:53 PM »

And, as far as the motorcycle checkpoints, I've lived in western and central NY all my life, and been riding here well over fifty years, and never, ever, saw a motorcycle only checkpoint, even when I used to ride with some of the gangs.

I need a new question added to the "application to room with" questionnaire.

minimac
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2018, 05:00:35 PM »

You never know.....
jpowell692
Scooter Senior

Bikes Owned: 2007 Burgman 400, 2011 Burgman 650

Thank You
-Receive: 13

468863.jpg

Email
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2018, 02:18:10 AM »

I'm planning on going. Does anyone want to share a room?
Just asking but I'll be there either way if I'm still alive. Nothing wrong with my health,  just a statement.
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2018, 02:36:16 PM »

You will be alive!!!

Pete and I are going to get a room versus a cabin this year.  Looking forward to this venue, lots of places to hang out all together.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: