September 20, 2018, 11:09:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Not Just Harley Rides Anymore  (Read 417 times)
Murf
Wind In My Hair, Bugs In My Teeth
Scooter Freshman

Bikes Owned: Honda 50, 90, 350, 750, VTX1300, SW600, BSA, Norton, BMW K100, Yamaha 175 Enduro and Vstar 1300, Harley 1945 Knuckle Head, VW trike I built.

Thank You
-Given: 1
-Receive: 17

Silver Surfer Rides Again

bemurphy22@msn.com
Email
« on: August 29, 2018, 10:50:52 PM »

We had discussed the motorcycle attitudes towards scooters and all bikes not Harley's.  I have noticed a shift in the wind of late.  Most rides and poker runs were Harley Dominated in the past.  Recently I have participated in rides and pictures of friends that have attended events all different bikes are gaining in popularity.  The large poker runs I see All brands, sizes, types and scooters at each run now.  Maybe I am just near military bases but there are 150CC + dirt bikes, sports bikes 200CC +, Scooters, dual sports and all motorcycle makes of course Harley's riding in packs.  It appears there is a real trend away from heavy and (High Cost) bikes.

What are you seeing in your area?

Never seen a day I cannot overcome with a smile.
Steve_YYZ
Scooter Junior Professor

Bikes Owned: 2014 Suzuki Burgman 650

Thank You
-Given: 66
-Receive: 43

Email
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2018, 01:04:38 AM »

You know, I can be out socializing and mention to someone that I ride, and inevitably they'll ask... You ride a Harley? It's the social mystique that Harley has built up, the branding, etc. I've got a friend who had a 650 Burgman, then bought a Forza, then traded to a Spyder, and now has also bought a Harley trike. So now he has 2 x 3-wheel bikes, each going the other way!

But the thing is, he also bought all the paraphanalia that goes with being a Harley rider. The do-rag, the Harley branded jacket, Harley sunglasses, T-shirts and on and on. It's all about image for him. But as I always say, to each their own.

Sure there are sport bike riders who won't talk to anyone except a gung-ho, leather clad sport rider, just like there are cruiser riders who look down their noses at others.

But there are also plenty of riders who just don't care what you ride as long as you are enjoying yourself. I class myself in this. For as I've always said... "Those that mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind"!
Murf
Scooter Freshman

Bikes Owned: Honda 50, 90, 350, 750, VTX1300, SW600, BSA, Norton, BMW K100, Yamaha 175 Enduro and Vstar 1300, Harley 1945 Knuckle Head, VW trike I built.

Thank You

bemurphy22@msn.com
Email
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2018, 03:06:46 PM »

Steve, very well put.  The Harley mystique in no joke and had permeated the whole motorcycle scene.  There marketing has been spot on.  Most of my riding buddies would die if they could not wear there Harley Gear.  I wonder if Europe is a little more well rounded.
Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: '12 Piaggio X10 350 Exec. & '08 SYM GTS (sold)

Thank You
-Given: 94
-Receive: 144

Evening Light

WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2018, 04:41:49 PM »

No, the very few HD riders over here are just as ah... fashion conscious if they've not already beggared  themselves buying the machinery. On a whole riding isn't just a sport so there's not so much hoopla surrounding the brand although..... BMW riders do get a bit into it especially when they're touring.

__
Don
Silver
Scooter Grad Student

Thank You
-Given: 294
-Receive: 23

Email
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2018, 09:28:08 PM »

Why is a certain type or name brand motorcycle so important to some? There is a wide range of types and name brands to ride and if you haven't experienced all of them unfortunately you have missed out. Each type offers a different experience and all are fun to the max. People who look down on others that ride a different type of machine are obviously putting some sort of "image" above the plain and simple joy of riding. If you make a purchase based on "image" or "hype" you may have missed the whole point unless riding means "lookin' cool". Take the time to ride machines you look down on and you will find that once you get past the "image" thing there are dozens of great riding bikes despite what you may currently think. It does not make any difference at all what you ride as long as you ENJOY riding it. Ride often....
Murf
Scooter Freshman

Thank You

bemurphy22@msn.com
Email
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2018, 10:16:44 PM »

My type of bike decision has always been based on style and type of riding.  Not to mention easy on the wallet (except for my BMWs, adventure/touring riding)  After riding for 50+ years comfort is more in line with my decisions.  Not too many flat track racing or extreme adventure riding left in me.  LOL. My bikes span the breadth of the sport and all brands.  I found BMW had the best form meets function.  Honda was the most dependable.  Fastest off road Kawasaki.  Most Maintenance anything Italian made.
klaviator
Scooter Senior

Bikes Owned: Yamaha Majesty, Kymco Super 8 150, Kawasaki Versys 650, Kawasaki KLR650

Thank You
-Given: 50
-Receive: 48

Email
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2018, 10:39:00 PM »

I am on another forum here in Alabama:  "Motorcycle Alabama".  One of the neat things is that when we do a street ride we typically have all kinds and brands of bikes and riders.  We may have a cruiser rider wearing no safety gear except a helmet, someone on an adventure bike in full gear and everything in between.  Last weekend we had a ride with Harley's, Victory, Indian and Metric cruisers, Adventure bikes, a Spyder, a Dual sport with knobbies and me on the only scooter.  Occasionally we get a few scooters and/or sport bikes.  You think that a mix like this wouldn't work but it does.  The trick is that we don't ride like it's a parade, everyone rides their own pace.  The other thing is that these people are real riders not posers.  My experience is that real riders don't care what you ride.

Sure there are some riders who make a big deal about what you ride.  There a motorcycle riders who look down on scooters, scooter riders who think they are superior, and of course non riders who think we are all crazy!  Well those non riders may have something there but at least we have way more fun than they do.

There are some stuck up Harley riders out there but none of my friends who ride Harley's are like that.  My experience around here is that most Harley riders will return my wave regardless of what I am riding. 

I ride, therefore I am
Pastor Ron
Pastor Ron
Scooter Freshman

Bikes Owned: Honda 100, 350, 500, 750, Burgman 400, 1100 V Star

Thank You
-Given: 0
-Receive: 12

Email
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2018, 11:03:58 PM »

What I have found over the years.....it is not what bike or trike one owns,it is the heart one has towards others.

2012 Silver Wing GT3 trike kit, Givi Air Flow, E-52 top case, leg visors, Corbin seat, mirror extenders.
easlingn
Scooter Freshman

Thank You
-Given: 0
-Receive: 3

Email
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2018, 02:31:54 PM »

In Sebring,  Florida  I ride every Tuesday & Thursday with a group called "Shiftless" and the club was started by a group of scooter riders.  On most of the rides about half the riders are on scooters and the rest have a mix of motorcycles, trikes, and even CanAms.
Here in New York if I want to group ride it has to be with the local motorcycle groups that is predominately Harleys.  I have never been turned away on my Swing and have always been welcomed back anytime.  My wife and I just rode last Saturday on a ride put on by the Red Knights chapter here in Bath NY for their Wounded Worriers project.  Out of 198 machines I was the only Scooter.  Watch the clip of the start of the ride,  and you will see my bright red Swing with all the other riders.

https://www.facebook.com/95theMet/videos/258960744623142/UzpfSTQxNDYxODM3MTkxMTU2ODoyMzM0MDQzNzA2NjM1Njgy/?filters_rp_group=%7B%22name%22%3A%22my_groups_posts%22%2C%22args%22%3A%22%22%7D

I have always felt welcome and have formed some meaningful friendships with diehard harley riders.

Keeping The Dirty Side Down
Blacktruck
Scooter Freshman

Bikes Owned: 2017 650 Burgman 2017 Triumph Trophy SE

Thank You
-Given: 14
-Receive: 0

dcotop
Email
« Reply #9 on: Today at 03:16:43 PM »

We had discussed the motorcycle attitudes towards scooters and all bikes not Harley's.  I have noticed a shift in the wind of late.  Most rides and poker runs were Harley Dominated in the past.  Recently I have participated in rides and pictures of friends that have attended events all different bikes are gaining in popularity.  The large poker runs I see All brands, sizes, types and scooters at each run now.  Maybe I am just near military bases but there are 150CC + dirt bikes, sports bikes 200CC +, Scooters, dual sports and all motorcycle makes of course Harley's riding in packs.  It appears there is a real trend away from heavy and (High Cost) bikes.

What are you seeing in your area?
In this area the V-Twin culture is dominant but also accepting of other bikes. I attend quite a few gatherings and events at the local H-D shop with no problems. The demographics have changed for riders over the years and I think many are opting for lower cost and easier to get around bikes that just make more sense for everyday riding. The smaller and more efficient bikes are far better commuters for most people. After decades of riding I would say the typical maxi-scooter is the best choice for an all around bike if you can't own more than one bike. They are fully capable of touring and a great way to get a few miles in to and from work. all that and it is hard to justify spending 25-30K on a new big bike.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: