October 18, 2018, 03:37:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hi From DFW Texas  (Read 518 times)
bike_eagle
Scooter Freshman

Bikes Owned: 2014 Honda Forza

Thank You
-Given: 3
-Receive: 3

Email
« on: August 07, 2018, 04:17:06 AM »

Hi folks. I live right in the heart of the Dallas Ft. Worth metroplex and have been looking to get back into riding. I owned a dual sport for awhile and then a Honda Shadow 1100 but eventually sold them due to a lack of riding. Fast forward four or five years to today, and I am ready to get back on two wheels. The problem is that here in the concrete jungle, we have way too much stop-and-go driving to enjoy riding while having to constantly shift gears. Enter the scooter!

Having made the decision to get a scooter, my next question was, which one?  I did a lot of research and test riding and finally settled on a Honda Forza.  I am age 58, 6’2” and 175 lbs., and really liked the feel of the PCX 150 but just found it a little too cramped for my height. The Forza was just right for the kind of riding I plan to do.  Big enough to fit me, but small and agile enough to sling around in traffic. Fortunately, I found a good deal on a used one, agreed on a price with the current owner, and I am planning to pick it up on Wednesday.  Naturally, I’m excited! 

Since I’ve been away from riding for awhile, I’ve already planned out a slow ride home on quiet backroads, and I’m really looking forward to the adventure!  I’ll take a few pics of the first ride and post to this thread, but I just wanted to say hi and join the fun of the forum.

Thanks,
Steve W

Steve W
DFW, Texas
2014 Honda Forza
Virginian
Scooter Junior Professor

Bikes Owned: '18 Yamaha Xmax 300, '14 Vespa 946, '81 Vespa P200e

Thank You
-Given: 124
-Receive: 56

Email
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2018, 04:38:19 AM »

Steve,

Welcome from Virginia and we have a great bunch of folks here to help you on your scooting journey.

Eric

Show up on time, do your best and don't grumble about the outcome.
Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: '12 Piaggio X10 350 Exec. & '08 SYM GTS (sold)

Thank You
-Given: 96
-Receive: 146

Evening Light

WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2018, 04:58:19 AM »

Welcome from Athens, Greece.

__
Don
jpowell692
Scooter Senior

Bikes Owned: 2007 Burgman 400, 2011 Burgman 650

Thank You
-Given: 0
-Receive: 13

468863.jpg

Email
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2018, 01:45:58 PM »

Welcome from central NC.  Enjoy your freedom

The more the miles, the bigger the smiles.
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: The Fastest Ever Bet & Win 310cc ~ Tsunami 650cc ~ 09 TMax ~ 09 DN-01 ~ 17 Sypder RT-Limited

Thank You
-Given: 313
-Receive: 755

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2018, 02:02:24 PM »

Welcome from St. Louis

It's a scooterful day in the neighborhood!
bike_eagle
Scooter Freshman

Thank You

Email
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2018, 03:13:34 PM »

Thanks for the welcomes everybody!  Tomorrow is the big day I go pick the bike up. Canít wait!

Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: The Fastest Ever Bet & Win 310cc ~ Tsunami 650cc ~ 09 TMax ~ 09 DN-01 ~ 17 Sypder RT-Limited

Thank You
-Given: 313
-Receive: 755

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2018, 06:13:27 PM »

Good luck and take it easy!  Look forward to hearing your report.
Clampett
Uncle Jed
Administrator
Scooter Junior Professor

Bikes Owned: 29 - Mini bikes to Gold Wings.

Thank You
-Given: 85
-Receive: 68

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2018, 09:21:24 PM »

Welcome aboard Steve.
If the Forza makes you happy then it was/is the right choice.
I had one and loved it.
Bikes are personal as we aren't all built alike and don't experience things the same.
Looking forward to you sharing your experience and a few photos.

Silver
Scooter Grad Student

Thank You
-Given: 294
-Receive: 23

Email
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2018, 03:23:05 AM »

Welcome from North Carolina
CathyN
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: 2009 Honda Silverwing

Thank You
-Given: 30
-Receive: 87

Maxi-Scoot Rally 2017

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2018, 06:06:05 AM »

Welcome from Chicago, IL

It's just not a vacation it's a fricking adventure.
redeye
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 112
-Receive: 177

Email
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2018, 03:38:34 AM »

Hi folks. I live right in the heart of the Dallas Ft. Worth metroplex,,,

Congratulations on a great find with the Forza. Welcome from western North Carolina and from a long-ago resident of the metroplex (Irving).

2008 Yamaha Morphous, 2014 Yamaha FZ-09
2004 Honda CRF150F x3, 2005 Honda CRF100F
bike_eagle
Scooter Freshman

Thank You

Email
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2018, 04:49:45 AM »

Thanks for all the welcomes folks!  Wow, what a friendly forum!  Now, for my ride report...

I picked the bike up yesterday morning over in north Ft. Worth, about an hour drive from here.  The previous owner was happy with the bike, but he was forced to sell I think due to pressure from his wife to free up some garage space (she had just bought a new bright yellow Camaro and didn't want to park it outside).  The bike only had about 560 miles on the odometer, it was a 2014 model, with a couple of very small cosmetic scratches from what we in my line of work call "hangar rash" (I am a pilot, and when an airplane suffers scratches from other vehicles rubbing by it, that's what we call it.)  Otherwise, the bike was perfect.  We agreed on a price fair to both parties, did the paper work, and away I rode.

I had been away from riding for 4 or 5 years, so it took me a few miles to get used to being on two wheels again, but the Forza is so rider friendly that pretty soon we were humming along like old friends. 

I took back roads to get home, not in any particular hurry, just enjoying the feel of being on a bike again.  I had forgotten the fun of having the wind rushing around me, the smells of a Texas summer day, the humming of the tires on the asphalt, the pleasant feel of the bike leaning in turns, the openness of the scenery compared to being in a car.  I found old habits coming back to me, like being hyper vigilant about other traffic, road imperfections, lane positioning, counter steering, and frequent mirror and head checks, especially with lane changes.  I laughed a couple of times as I felt impulses to shift gears or feather the clutch, only to remember that our beloved scooters take care of all of that for us.  Aren't they great?!

As I rode along enjoying the rural scenery, I noticed a small feed store and decided to stop for a rest break.  While I was there, I remembered the other thread here about playing scooter tag, so I decided to take a pic in front of the store and use it in that thread.  For those of you who haven't seen it, here is that pic (am I allowed to post the same pic in separate threads?):

While is was inside the store, I noticed this pic, which went perfectly with the day, since I had been feeling a little intimidated by the ride after so long away:

I smiled at that one, because by then I was much more comfortable and really having a good time.

After the feed store, I crossed two bridges over a massive lake around here called Lake Lewisville. There was a front coming in with some pretty good cross wing gusts as I zoomed high over the water, but the Forza shrugged them off like they werenít even there.  What a great bike! 

After the lake, I wound through some residential areas and finally made it home. It took me a little head scratching to figure out how I want to park the Forza in my garage, but I finally decided to put it next to our other toy.

We live in a golf development, and most residents have golf carts, so the Forza fit perfectly in the row of toys. (Yeah, I know, the Rangers arenít having a great year, but we are diehard fans anyway.)

This morning, I decided to make a run to a nearby Mexican restaurant for breakfast burritos, and taking the Forza made it into a little adventure.  It was fun riding through the drive through, taking the paper sack of food, putting it into the trunk case and riding back home. The trunk smelled like egg, cheese, and chorizo when I opened it in the garage next to the golf cart! 

Anyway, thanks again for all the warm welcomes and Iíll enjoy sharing many more ride stories with all of you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: '12 Piaggio X10 350 Exec. & '08 SYM GTS (sold)

Thank You
-Given: 96
-Receive: 146

Evening Light

WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2018, 06:49:35 AM »

Yup, posting pix around is never a bad thing.

Now, I've read your report and did I get a sense that you're enjoying your Honda? I seemed to get that impression.  

Cube
Scooter Freshman

Bikes Owned: 2007 Silver Wing, 2018 PCX150, 2000 BMW R1100R

Thank You
-Given: 5
-Receive: 7

Email
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2018, 06:51:20 AM »

Welcome from Colorado.  Scooters also brought me back to riding this year.  Texas is where I learned to ride.  Watch out for those junebugs!
bike_eagle
Scooter Freshman

Thank You

Email
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2018, 02:51:47 PM »

Yup, posting pix around is never a bad thing.

Now, I've read your report and did I get a sense that you're enjoying your Honda? I seemed to get that impression.   

Lol!  Yeah I guess I’m like a kid with a new toy.  I was smiling the whole way home!

Murf
Wind In My Hair, Bugs In My Teeth
Scooter Freshman

Bikes Owned: Honda 50, 90, 350, 750, VTX1300, SW600, BSA, Norton, BMW K100, Yamaha 175 Enduro and Vstar 1300, Harley 1945 Knuckle Head, VW trike I built.

Thank You
-Given: 2
-Receive: 17

Silver Surfer Rides Again

bemurphy22@msn.com
Email
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2018, 03:09:54 PM »

Scooters brought me back to riding, just too convenient and comfortable.  Be careful in sharp turns the balance of a scooter is a little different.  Come on up for the scooter event in NE Alabama.

Ride it like you stole it, congratulations the bugs will get in your teeth while you smile riding that thing.

Never seen a day I cannot overcome with a smile.
oldwingguy
Scooter Freshman

Thank You
-Receive: 1

Email
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2018, 12:58:29 PM »

Welcome from o-HI-o, you will get more smiles as you get more miles  :D
ozark
RCR
Scooter Junior Professor

Bikes Owned: Team Yamaha and Team Honda with a WUSSI thrown in for cheap fun!

Thank You
-Receive: 24

Email
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2018, 10:50:18 PM »

Congratulations on the new bike and it should serve you well.  It's a Honda and it's pretty.
scooterwolf
Scooter Junior Professor

Bikes Owned: Kymco Yager GT 200i, Kymco Downtown 300i

Thank You
-Given: 17
-Receive: 23

Easy and Me

Email
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2018, 11:26:33 PM »

Welcome to the forum. The Forza is a great bike!

- Wolf
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: