December 15, 2018, 01:34:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Good deal on an ST1300  (Read 398 times)
EZMark
RCR
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 2
-Receive: 60

Email
« on: July 28, 2018, 02:02:31 AM »

A guy my buddy works with has a 2012 ST1300 with 3600 miles in mint condition.
He's asking $6500 which is below trade in value.
St Louis area.
Greg
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 56
-Receive: 238

Don't sweat the small stuff...it's all small stuff

Email
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2018, 06:03:00 PM »

The bike may be 6 years old, but still essentially new with only that many miles on it.  We both had ST1300's for awhile, and absolutely loved them.  It's an amazing motorcycle.  It's silky smooth, and a real mile eater.  It's sweet spot is 85 mph, though, so use caution!!  But it's rock solid at that speed.  We managed to keep an average of 54 mpg at normal highway speeds, too, and at 7.4 gallons of gas, that gives you pretty good range.  I put a set of HeliBars handlebar risers on both of our ST's, which made for a more upright position, and a Sargent seat make things more comfy, as the stock seat is junk, IMO.  The ST1300's one big "sin" is heat.  It puts out a lot, and the design of the radiator forces hot air right to the rider's legs.  I modified the shroud around the radiator by drilling holes that allow some cooling fresh air in and around the radiator.  I also put air defledtors on the edges of the fairing, which helped.  The one thing that couldn't be solved is the the way the gas tank heats up.  The ST1300 has 2 gas tanks, the classic top tank and another one unde the seat.  All is well until the top tank drains dry, then the metal gets hot!  It's bad on a hot day, but when it's cool, even cold out. it's a good thing to help keep the rider warm.  Oh, and I nearly forgot to mention that it handles very well.  It's heavy, at 700 pounds, or nearly so, but is a sweet handler for sure.

Like I said, we loved our ST's and PeggySuz says that's the bike that taught her how to really ride.  If anyone's interested in this one, it's a great find at a great price.

Greg
Slvrtundevl
Scooter Freshman

Thank You
-Given: 0
-Receive: 1

Email
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2018, 12:29:57 AM »

Pictures?
EZMark
RCR
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 2
-Receive: 60

Email
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2018, 03:15:49 PM »

Pictures?

I don't have any. It was just a text from a friend.
I posted this because I know a lot of people on this forum are fans of Sport touring bikes.
If you're interested, I can get you the guy's number.
gurock1
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: 2004 Silverwing 2009 Burgman 650 gone but not forgotten, 2007 Piaggio BV250 (Sold) 2006 FJR gone to bike heaven, 2006 FJR sold, 2008 FJR in heaven with the first 06 FJR, 2006 Burgman 650 Executive, BMW C 650 GT

Thank You
-Given: 16
-Receive: 95

Email
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2018, 09:21:26 PM »

One of the finest motorcycles ever designed IMHO!  If I wasn't devoted to FJR this bike would be at the top of my list.  Considering the low miles and age that's a smoking deal.  A new one is north of 15k.  The next owner may want to do a seat and Heli or other risers.  After that this bike can cross America from one side to the other at will.  Not only that but it's very fast, maybe 0-60 in 2.9 or so and a top end north of 130 MPH.  Anyone buying this bike will do well.
Greg
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2018, 06:16:24 PM »

One of the finest motorcycles ever designed IMHO!  If I wasn't devoted to FJR this bike would be at the top of my list.  Considering the low miles and age that's a smoking deal.  A new one is north of 15k.  The next owner may want to do a seat and Heli or other risers.  After that this bike can cross America from one side to the other at will.  Not only that but it's very fast, maybe 0-60 in 2.9 or so and a top end north of 130 MPH.  Anyone buying this bike will do well.

You're right.  I found the ST1300 to be a very versatile motorcycle.  It was happy no matter what speed you chose.  When I went out to ride on it, it seemed that as soon as I let out the clutch I suddenly found myself many miles away, wondering how I got there.

The ST is a bike with very long legs and, with the right seat, extremely comfortable.  And while it's heavy, it handles with lightness of a lighter motorcycle.  It always amazed me how well it handled in the tight curves.  It may not be as powerful as the FJR1300, but it was very torquey, and satisfyingly so.  I could ride the ST all day, and unless it was very hot out, come home and still feel comfortable.  All things considered, the ST1300 was one of the few motorcycles I'd love to own againl
Dan
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 223
-Receive: 361

Rollin', Rollin', Rollin'

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2018, 08:15:04 PM »

Not only that but it's very fast, maybe 0-60 in 2.9 or so .

This spec really jumped out at me as I've never read that it was a super fast bike.  I did a bit of digging and the info I found states that it's 0-60 is 3.5 seconds.  While that doesn't sound like it's a great deal difference, .6 seconds makes quite a difference on the road.  That's still pretty darn quick but not supersport fast.

Nice bike.

Practicing Normite.
gurock1
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: 2004 Silverwing 2009 Burgman 650 gone but not forgotten, 2007 Piaggio BV250 (Sold) 2006 FJR gone to bike heaven, 2006 FJR sold, 2008 FJR in heaven with the first 06 FJR, 2006 Burgman 650 Executive, BMW C 650 GT

Thank You
-Given: 16
-Receive: 95

Email
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2018, 12:21:53 AM »

The FJR is 2.9 and I thought the ST 1300 would be similar.  The Tesla “X” Model in its fastest variation is 2.9 to 60 MPH.  That astounded me.  That ST is still a great bike.
Greg
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2018, 06:03:11 PM »

For me, the extra .6 seconds might have made a big difference on a drag strip, but for normal every day riding, not so much.  My take on the ST1300 is that while it's not, as you say, Dan, a superbike, it's faster/quicker than the average regular streetbike.  I think Honda marketed the ST more as a sportbike-styled motorcycle than as an actual sportbike.  In any case, the ability to go over 130 mph in short order was fast enough for me.  I felt that it was simply a very nice motorcycle to ride in just about any mode or style you wanted.  Except for offroad, of course.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: